PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Lakers Stat

mystargtr34
12-23-2008, 06:43 AM
The Lakers are 8-5 when Bryant attempts more than 20 shots.

They are 14-0 when he attempts less than 20 shots.

Chieflion
12-23-2008, 07:37 AM
So when he is selfish, Lakers lose. Alright, Kobe, shoot more. Do not worry about Gasol not having enough shots.

j-money24
12-23-2008, 01:20 PM
YES because those 14 games were blowouts, so he plays like 20 minutes in that game..
but when his team is playing like pussys than he has to take all the shots and try win the game by himself because are laker players are too scared and their softies ..

RsxPiimp
12-23-2008, 01:58 PM
YES because those 14 games were blowouts, so he plays like 20 minutes in that game..
but when his team is playing like pussys than he has to take all the shots and try win the game by himself because are laker players are too scared and their softies ..

pretty much.

its not really an interesting stat because its misleading.

mystargtr34
12-23-2008, 11:52 PM
Pau shoots 55% and takes 12 shots per game.

Kobe shoots 45% and is second in the league in attempts with 20 per game.

Bynum is around 60% yet takes about 8 shots per game.

TheMACHINE
12-24-2008, 12:02 AM

really? Centers have higher percentages then guards? wow new information that none of us knew about. you're the man!

j-money24
12-24-2008, 12:34 AM

:lmao

12-24-2008, 02:50 AM
volume shooters never help their teammates. judging from this stat, all five lakers losses occurred when kobe attempted 20 or more shots. i've noticed a trend in the past few games that kobe has begun taking more shots again. in the past 6 games, kobe's shot attempts and point totals have gone up. yet despite a 41 pt game against orlando and attempting 24 shots against miami, the lakers lost. close games against NY and memphis also shows the disruptive effects kobe possesses. at the beginning of the season, kobe's scoring averages were down because he let his teammates take over. thus, the lakers did very well. however, now kobe wants to stay relevant against lebron and wade but he is disrupting the rhythm of his team. sadly, kobe always had this hero mentality and wants to be the main option, causing me to believe he will never lead a team to a championship trophy.

another interesting stat is on the 2008 olympics. i found it extremely amusing when the commentators point to kobe's low scoring as evidence that he has taken the unselfish role of a lockdown defender. it turns out kobe attempted the most shots during the course of the olympics but ended up third in scoring behind lebron and wade. despite jacking up 20 more shots than the closest teammate, kobe only ended up third in scoring. people make the argument that kobe shoots a lot because his teammates don't help him. on a team with 11 other all-stars, kobe still insisted on being the player that shoots the most. efficiency isn't kobe's thing, only filling up the scoreboard at the expense of his teammates.

DazedAndConfused
12-24-2008, 03:39 AM
And yet Kobe has 3 championship rings and has been to the Finals 5 teams and has trashed your Spurs teams countless times. Clearly he's doing something right.

hhml
12-24-2008, 04:02 AM
volume shooters never help their teammates. judging from this stat, all five lakers losses occurred when kobe attempted 20 or more shots. i've noticed a trend in the past few games that kobe has begun taking more shots again. in the past 6 games, kobe's shot attempts and point totals have gone up. yet despite a 41 pt game against orlando and attempting 24 shots against miami, the lakers lost. close games against NY and memphis also shows the disruptive effects kobe possesses. at the beginning of the season, kobe's scoring averages were down because he let his teammates take over. thus, the lakers did very well. however, now kobe wants to stay relevant against lebron and wade but he is disrupting the rhythm of his team. sadly, kobe always had this hero mentality and wants to be the main option, causing me to believe he will never lead a team to a championship trophy.

The difference is, Lakers were playing def during those early wins, whereas they have played none after the losses. You can't blame it all on kobe jacking up a ton of shots. But I do agree that he needs to stop forcing shots in the 4th. I'd rather he drive and create or take a closer J as opposed to the 20 footer.

12-24-2008, 05:25 AM
And yet Kobe has 3 championship rings and has been to the Finals 5 teams and has trashed your Spurs teams countless times. Clearly he's doing something right.

kobe has 3 championships but 0 finals mvp. he ddin't lead the lakers to those championships, shaq did. notice good things happen when kobe takes a backseat. tell me, now that lakers have finally assembled a championship caliber team, why does kobe still find the need to average 26.1 pts and 20.3 shot attempts? kobe now has an all star pau gasol, bynum also known to lakers fans as the next tim duncan, lamar odom, three point shooters in vujacic, rad, and fisher, plus plenty of role players that know how to score. this isn't the shaq and kobe show anymore, this is a well constructed team. there are plenty of players to rely on but kobe still demands the same number of touches.

when the celtics formed their team, pierce's averages of 25 pts and 18 shot attempts dropped to 19 pts and 13 attempts. now they are even lower. in 2007, duncan recognized parker's emergence and let him help carry the load. he even stepped aside to allow parker to be the focal point of the offense in the finals. pierce and duncan didn't let their egos disrupt their teammates. this doesn't mean that still can't be the main player, it just means they share the spotlight with their teammates. something kobe obviously is uncomfortable with.

timvp
12-24-2008, 05:53 AM
And yet Kobe has 3 championship rings and has been to the Finals 5 teams and has trashed your Spurs teams countless times. Clearly he's doing something right.Being Shaq's teammate?

Kobe™
12-24-2008, 06:34 AM
Being Shaq's teammate?

Did you even read the latter statement?

timvp
12-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Did you even read the latter statement?

http://streetknowledge.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/kobeandshaq_580x435.jpg

TheMACHINE
12-24-2008, 11:32 AM
kobe has 3 championships but 0 finals mvp. he ddin't lead the lakers to those championships, shaq did. notice good things happen when kobe takes a backseat. tell me, now that lakers have finally assembled a championship caliber team, why does kobe still find the need to average 26.1 pts and 20.3 shot attempts? kobe now has an all star pau gasol, bynum also known to lakers fans as the next tim duncan, lamar odom, three point shooters in vujacic, rad, and fisher, plus plenty of role players that know how to score. this isn't the shaq and kobe show anymore, this is a well constructed team. there are plenty of players to rely on but kobe still demands the same number of touches.

when the celtics formed their team, pierce's averages of 25 pts and 18 shot attempts dropped to 19 pts and 13 attempts. now they are even lower. in 2007, duncan recognized parker's emergence and let him help carry the load. he even stepped aside to allow parker to be the focal point of the offense in the finals. pierce and duncan didn't let their egos disrupt their teammates. this doesn't mean that still can't be the main player, it just means they share the spotlight with their teammates. something kobe obviously is uncomfortable with.

Lots of talk...its plain and simple, and ill stay on the same direction you are. Kobe's team is #1 in the west? Correct? Kobe has taken less shots this year than any of the past years? Correct?

So why all this talk about shooting too much when:
a) They are winning
b) He is taking less shots

You are criticizing someone who has done all things you are pointing out.

Allanon
12-24-2008, 12:11 PM
With all the flaws the Lakers "have", I'm surprised they're not a 15th seed.

The Lakers are probably the most underrated 23-5 team I've ever seen.

j-money24
12-24-2008, 01:51 PM

another interesting stat is on the 2008 olympics. i found it extremely amusing when the commentators point to kobe's low scoring as evidence that he has taken the unselfish role of a lockdown defender. it turns out kobe attempted the most shots during the course of the olympics but ended up third in scoring behind lebron and wade. despite jacking up 20 more shots than the closest teammate, kobe only ended up third in scoring. people make the argument that kobe shoots a lot because his teammates don't help him. on a team with 11 other all-stars, kobe still insisted on being the player that shoots the most. efficiency isn't kobe's thing, only filling up the scoreboard at the expense of his teammates.

let me tell you something, stats dont mean shit.
when kobe doesnt shoot much in games is because he doesnt need too, you should see all the lakers wins, they are all blowouts.. the only reason kobe shoots alot in games they lose because his teammates arent playing good.
this is how the lakers are, if the whole lakers team are playing well than they are unstoppable, no one can beat them. but when kobes teammates are stinking it up in the court, then the only way to win and phill knows that is to go back to the 05-06 lakers and the game becomes a one-man show..
i know thats not a good thing and i believe we wont win a championship like that.. thats why this team needs to get better if its making a trade will help than im down for it.

mystargtr34
12-24-2008, 05:32 PM

You alone make them one of the most over rated 23-5 teams in history.

12-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Lots of talk...its plain and simple, and ill stay on the same direction you are. Kobe's team is #1 in the west? Correct? Kobe has taken less shots this year than any of the past years? Correct?

So why all this talk about shooting too much when:
a) They are winning
b) He is taking less shots

You are criticizing someone who has done all things you are pointing out.

a) the thread is about how when kobe shoots less than 20 shots, the lakers go 14-0. i don't deny the lakers are winning, but the losses to the magic and heat due to kobe jacking up shots are why kobe can't win a championship as long as he wants to be the man. has kobe won a championship being the main option yet?

b) he is not taking less shots. in 06-07, the pre-gasol year, he took 22.8 shots playing 40 minutes. now phil jackson manages kobe to 35 minutes yet he still attempts 20.3. again, pierce went from 18 attempts to 13 while having around the same amount of playing time.

i think the lakers team is currently better than the spurs. but if lakers want to match boston, kobe has keep his ego in check, shoot less, and depend on his teammates.

Allanon
12-24-2008, 06:32 PM
You alone make them one of the most over rated 23-5 teams in history.

There you go under-rating them again.

TheMACHINE
12-24-2008, 06:58 PM
a) the thread is about how when kobe shoots less than 20 shots, the lakers go 14-0. i don't deny the lakers are winning, but the losses to the magic and heat due to kobe jacking up shots are why kobe can't win a championship as long as he wants to be the man. has kobe won a championship being the main option yet?

b) he is not taking less shots. in 06-07, the pre-gasol year, he took 22.8 shots playing 40 minutes. now phil jackson manages kobe to 35 minutes yet he still attempts 20.3. again, pierce went from 18 attempts to 13 while having around the same amount of playing time.

i think the lakers team is currently better than the spurs. but if lakers want to match boston, kobe has keep his ego in check, shoot less, and depend on his teammates.

so let me get this straight. You're saying Kobe cant win a ring when he is the man? You must not remember how many years its been since Shaq left. Not only did Shaq leave, but pratically the whole championship team left aswell. So the Lakers rebuild with Kobe being the man and make it to the Finals last year. Thats a short rebuilding period, dont you agree?

Im sorry to act like an ass, but the Lakers ROLLED over everyone but Boston in the playoffs. They lose in the Finals and you say, "kobe has to keep his ego in check, shoot less, and depend on his teammates." You dont think he was doing that on the road to the Finals? Was he jacking shot after shot against your spurs? Was he scoring 40 points a game against the Jazz and Denver.

Give me a break.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-24-2008, 07:38 PM

Riding Shaq to an NBA title? That's what he's done right? Why did he force Shaq out of town then?

None of the rings were with him as the franchise player. Robert Horry has 7 rings, does that mean he's better than MJ since MJ has 6 rings?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-24-2008, 07:41 PM

Has there ever been a Laker team you didn't think was underrated?

I'll bet the 2005 Lakers were the best 34-48 team in NBA history in your book and would have won the finals if they made the playoffs.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-24-2008, 07:45 PM
so let me get this straight. You're saying Kobe cant win a ring when he is the man? You must not remember how many years its been since Shaq left. Not only did Shaq leave, but pratically the whole championship team left aswell. So the Lakers rebuild with Kobe being the man and make it to the Finals last year. Thats a short rebuilding period, dont you agree?

Im sorry to act like an ass, but the Lakers ROLLED over everyone but Boston in the playoffs. They lose in the Finals and you say, "kobe has to keep his ego in check, shoot less, and depend on his teammates." You dont think he was doing that on the road to the Finals? Was he jacking shot after shot against your spurs? Was he scoring 40 points a game against the Jazz and Denver.Give me a break.

In 4 years with Kobe as the man, the Lakers missed the playoffs once, got eliminated in the 1st round once, and made the finals only to get steam rolled. Next Michael Jordan I tell ya!!!

12-24-2008, 07:51 PM

Im sorry to act like an ass, but the Lakers ROLLED over everyone but Boston in the playoffs. They lose in the Finals and you say, "kobe has to keep his ego in check, shoot less, and depend on his teammates." You dont think he was doing that on the road to the Finals? Was he jacking shot after shot against your spurs? Was he scoring 40 points a game against the Jazz and Denver.

Give me a break.

so kobe should continue doing what he's doing even though it has never brought him a championship? because if it didn't work last year, it will definitely work this year right?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Here's the thing about Kobe, you put a player 1-2 inches taller than him with long arms, above average foot speed, and a disciplined defensive mindset on him and he shoots horribly. Marion, Prince, Battier, Pierce, Salmons, and Bowen before he got old are all examples of this. For someone who is supposed to be a franchise player he seems to have to adjust way too much to good defense.

Ghazi
12-24-2008, 09:39 PM

Give me a break.

The lakers didnt roll the Jazz, every game came down to the final quarter... the Spurs they only truly "rolled" in game 2.

TheMACHINE
12-25-2008, 12:31 AM
The lakers didnt roll the Jazz, every game came down to the final quarter... the Spurs they only truly "rolled" in game 2.

ok..didnt really change my point, but ok.

YellowFever
12-25-2008, 01:17 AM
Riding Shaq to an NBA title? That's what he's done right? Why did he force Shaq out of town then?

The Pacers, Sixers and the Nets they faced were almost after thoughts.
During the WCF of those years (whom people said were the REAL championships), who did more damage to the Kings and Spurs?
Definitely not Shaq.

You might actually want to read up on this subject. Buss was never going to extend him for the amount of money Shaq wanted....especialy after the way he showed up Buss.

YellowFever
12-25-2008, 01:35 AM
The Lakers are 8-5 when Bryant attempts more than 20 shots.

They are 14-0 when he attempts less than 20 shots.

And they almost never won when he attempted less than 23 shots per game a few years ago.

What's your point?

Newsflash: They got a much better supporting cast around him now!

mystargtr34
12-25-2008, 09:21 AM
You made my point, they have a much better supporting cast this year, there is no reason for him to be taking 20 shots per game.

Gasol should be getting more touches, as should Bynum.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-25-2008, 11:30 AM
The Pacers, Sixers and the Nets they faced were almost after thoughts.
During the WCF of those years (whom people said were the REAL championships), who did more damage to the Kings and Spurs?
Definitely not Shaq.

They could not have done it without each other, Shaq made Kobe better and Kobe made Shaq better. I'm saying Kobe could not have done it without a HOF center as good as Shaq, however, Shaq could have won titles with several shooting guards that were maybe not as good as Kobe.

If the Kings and Spurs weren't focused so much on stopping Shaq and Kobe was the #1 offensive threat, Kobe would not have been able to score at will like he did. If you think I'm saying just subtract Kobe from those 3-peat Lakers and they still win all those titles, forgive me, that is not what I mean. Obviously Shaq needed a scoring punch from the perimeter who would take advantage when the other team packed it in on Shaq.

Shaq was undoubtedly the best player on those teams, not even a question, not even an argument.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-25-2008, 11:43 AM
All the stat this thread is supposed to be about says is Kobe has yet to gain a good feel for when he needs to put the team on his back and take over because of how many other options there are on the Lakers. Not really his problem, it's impossible to predict what Llamar Odom and what Andrew Bynum is gonna show up to the game.

If the Laker's don't win a title this year, none of it will be Kobe's fault, even a Kobe hater will admit that. He has done whatever has been asked of him and has perhaps been too nice about it.

Allanon
12-25-2008, 01:30 PM
All the stat this thread is supposed to be about says is Kobe has yet to gain a good feel for when he needs to put the team on his back and take over because of how many other options there are on the Lakers. Not really his problem, it's impossible to predict what Llamar Odom and what Andrew Bynum is gonna show up to the game.

One of your best posts.

Lakers are integrating Bynum and Ariza, everybody has to adjust, including Kobe and Phil.

YellowFever
12-25-2008, 02:53 PM
They could not have done it without each other, Shaq made Kobe better and Kobe made Shaq better. I'm saying Kobe could not have done it without a HOF center as good as Shaq, however, Shaq could have won titles with several shooting guards that were maybe not as good as Kobe.

If the Kings and Spurs weren't focused so much on stopping Shaq and Kobe was the #1 offensive threat, Kobe would not have been able to score at will like he did. If you think I'm saying just subtract Kobe from those 3-peat Lakers and they still win all those titles, forgive me, that is not what I mean. Obviously Shaq needed a scoring punch from the perimeter who would take advantage when the other team packed it in on Shaq.

Shaq was undoubtedly the best player on those teams, not even a question, not even an argument.

Good post.
And I agree.
What I took umbridge at is your earlier statement that Shaq "carried" Kobe.

They helped each other, dude.

Was Shaq a bigger factor day in and day out on those teams?

Sure.

Who had more impact in the last 5 minutes of those close game?

My point is that Shaq is a few years older and was in the league longer than Kobe but was just as much, if not more of a childish/selfish player.

And I truly believe that it took PJ to force those two immature players to co-exist (at least for awhile).

Those two wouldn't have won jack without PJ.

YellowFever
12-25-2008, 03:06 PM
You made my point, they have a much better supporting cast this year, there is no reason for him to be taking 20 shots per game.

Gasol should be getting more touches, as should Bynum.

Gasol, I agree.
Bynum..umm.....no.

Anyways....

The bottom line is, is Kobe taking more shots disrupting the offensive flow of the game or did Kobe started taking more shots after the offensive flow stalled.

My main beef with this team is that they play great when things are peachy keen but they fall to pieces at the slightest pressure applied.

In those games the Lakers lost, what were the shooting percentage for the rest of the players besides Kobe?

I rather we lose with Kobe shooting than a Bynum or a Farmar shooting.

YellowFever
12-25-2008, 03:09 PM
One of your best posts.

Lakers are integrating Bynum and Ariza, everybody has to adjust, including Kobe and Phil.

I disagree Allanon.

It's up to Bynum to adjust to Kobe and PJ.
Not the other way around.

Not complain about playing time in the 4th, where he hasn't proven shit so far.

TheMACHINE
12-25-2008, 03:48 PM
when kobe shoots more then 20 shots, its usually when they are losing and he is trying to carry the team. Sometimes it works (8 wins), sometimes it dont (5 losses, tho some of the losses were by 1-2 points).

That stat the original poster makes is true, but can be twisted in so many ways.

Allanon
12-25-2008, 04:07 PM
It's up to Bynum.

Not complain about playing time in the 4th, where he hasn't proven shit so far.

I agree with this part Yellow guy. He hasn't played well in 3rd/4th quarters. I think it has to do with his conditioning. He needs to man up and hit the treadmill/track field.

pauls931
12-25-2008, 07:29 PM
So when he is selfish, Lakers lose. Alright, Kobe, shoot more. Do not worry about Gasol not having enough shots.

Bingo... Back when Pho would meet them in the playoffs, I could walk away knowing the game was over when Kobe tries to take over and stops playing team ball, or when he refuses to contribute and just lets his team go down.

YellowFever
12-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Dammit, kobe took over 21 shots against boston today!:bang

dallaskd
12-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Let's see how that stat looks come playoff time. If it is constant, it may mean something.

YellowFever
12-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Let's see how that stat looks come playoff time. If it is constant, it may mean something.

It means absolutely nothing, which is my main beef wth this thread.

Obviously the hater here are using it as proof that Kobe is selfish.

All it means is that the other players haven't been doing their jobs very well.

Kobe's pretty good about getting teammates involved these days.

Kobe made Gasol look good the last few minutes of the game.

TheMACHINE
12-25-2008, 10:02 PM
lets see how this stats works...oh wait.

KOBE SHOT MORE THEN 20 SHOTS TODAY AND WON.

Remind me of this stat when Kobe actually loses more then wins when he shoots more then 20 times.

GetNashty
12-25-2008, 11:50 PM
In 4 years with Kobe as the man, the Lakers missed the playoffs once, got eliminated in the 1st round once, and made the finals only to get steam rolled. Next Michael Jordan I tell ya!!!

Lakers got eliminated in the First Round twice thank you.

cobbler
12-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Bingo... Back when Pho would meet them in the playoffs, I could walk away knowing the game was over when Kobe tries to take over and stops playing team ball, or when he refuses to contribute and just lets his team go down.

Ohhh... is that back when the Suns were supposed to win a championship (didnt) and the lakers took them to 7 games with Smush "D league" Parker and Kwame "hands of stone" Brown??

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao