PDA

View Full Version : ESPN.com: For Real, Who Are The Top Five Players In The NBA?

duncan228
12-23-2008, 01:34 PM
For real, who are the top five players in the NBA? (http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3789244)
by Ted Bauer

Normally in this slot, we write something fairly esoteric and attempt to reference the map above. Two things are wrong with that principle today: (1) it's almost the holidays, so we're not sure anyone wants to wrap their dome around something esoteric and (2) we really need to update that map. (Rationalization: "It's the holidays!") With the NBA taking over front-and-center on Christmas Day (Celtics/Lakers is at 5pm on ABC), we decided to turn to a topic addressed at a Christmas party we hit up Saturday night: Who are the five best players in the NBA right now? It's literally impossible to get consensus.

Most people will give you the "big two" right off the bat: Kobe Bryant, whose been doing it for years and dropped 36 points on the Memphis Grizzlies just last night, and LeBron James, who seems to be the only rational answer to "How the heck are the Cavs so good right now?"

The third name most of our friends dropped Saturday night was Chris Paul, surprising because of how short a time he's been in the league but completely unsurprising when you realize how many rap songs have already referenced him. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3773145)

Some people will take Dwyane Wade as their third name sputtered out, which is logical considering he (a) is a beast and (b) won a ring before anyone else in the NBA Draft '03 class and (c) did it almost entirely on his back (sorry, Shaq.)

If you take 'em both—seems logical, and we'll get to our picks in a second—then you have one spot left and everything goes all "cats-and-dogs-living-together (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w91-GMc3j7I)." One of our friends said Carmelo Anthony. People went nuts. Another said Kevin Garnett. Some agreement—"Did you see what he did to the Hawks? (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=281217001)"—but his age was raised as a concern. Dwight Howard? ("If he could start hitting free throws, dude's unstoppable.") "Someone that plays in Texas?" People bantered around the name Tim Duncan, which seems completely legitimate. When Brandon Roy got honestly tossed into the discussion, we knew we had stumbled upon a debate classic.

Here's our five. Hate on us in the comments.

Kobe Bryant: Ridiculous amount of miles on him, and hasn't won a title since Shaq, but is probably still the best basketball player in the world.

LeBron James: If he's a legit 6-8, 274, that means he's bigger than DeMarcus Ware, who currently leads the NFL in sacks.

Chris Paul: Saw this kid play at Wake Forest and said to our friend, "That's the fastest anyone has ever gone end-to-end." We kinda say similar things about Ty Lawson right now, but have not even the remotest thought he'll become CP3. There's just something about him.

Dwyane Wade: Too good a hooper not to make this list. Also, for our money, "Fall Down 7 Times, Stand Up 8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80dQekTAmIE)" is one of the most underrated shoe ads ever.

Tim Duncan: Yea, we'll go here. Thing people always miss in these debates: basketball is a team sport. Yea, we're having an individual discussion, but like Craig Robinson will tell you about Barack Obama (http://www.time.com/time/specials/2008/personoftheyear/article/0,31682,1861543_1865068_1865096,00.html), your success on the court is all about how you fit into the team. Duncan? 4 rings. Could Amare or Dwight flush him right now? Probably, yes. But in a Game 7 on the road, would you want anyone else at the 4/5 slot?

OK, so now: who you got?

BlackSwordsMan
12-23-2008, 01:42 PM
wow ESPN is acting like they are getting tortured just by putting timmy's name up there

honestfool84
12-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Could Amare or Dwight flush him right now? Probably, yes. But in a Game 7 on the road, would you want anyone else at the 4/5 slot?

+1

Jmehra1
12-23-2008, 01:48 PM
props to timmy, after all the years and good/hard times he is still one of the(if not the best) big men alive.

Horse
12-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Let's also consider how Timmy makes his teamates better, kobe still does'nt do that enough. wade does lebron does, But thats about it. I want Timmy on cruise control till the playoffs let the team gel and let the young guys get theirs. Then down the strech let Tim do his thing and we could have another odd numbered year ring!

naico
12-23-2008, 01:53 PM
props to timmy, after all the years and good/hard times he is still one of the(if not the best) big men alive.

Yup he's alive allright. Saw him only yesterday.
:p:

Don't know what to think of this article. Howard, Amare, Garnett..TD is still the best big in the league.

xtremesteven33
12-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Tim is the most dominant big man in the NBA. And not dominant in terms of dunking in peoples faces or blocking 5 shots a game. He makes the team better and posses the best moves for a big man in the NBA.

hater
12-23-2008, 02:00 PM
If they ever considered defense as much as offense, TD would easily be #1 this year

stretch
12-23-2008, 02:08 PM
If they ever considered defense as much as offense, TD would easily be #1 this year

:td

homer.

Sigz
12-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Tim Duncan

God

Malik Rose.

jason1301
12-23-2008, 02:11 PM
wow ESPN is acting like they are getting tortured just by putting timmy's name up there

aren't they?

:p:

MoSpur
12-23-2008, 02:18 PM
I don't agree with LeBron being #2. Maybe #5, but #2.

xtremesteven33
12-23-2008, 02:21 PM
1. Lebron
2. Howard
3. Paul
4. Bryant
5. Duncan

WildcardManu
12-23-2008, 02:25 PM
1. Lebron
2. Howard
3. Paul
4. Bryant
5. Duncan

Howard is only a freak rebounding machine who needs to be assisted to get a basket.

Darrin
12-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Lebron James
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Garnett
Dwight Howard
Chauncey Billups

spursfaninla
12-23-2008, 02:44 PM
I can name the best player on the teams with the best record too...that takes alot of evaluative skills, no?

MoSpur
12-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Darrin? Chauncey and KG? Are you serious?

Darrin
12-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Darrin? Chauncey and KG? Are you serious?

Yep. Billups is 20-7, his teams 11-14 without him. The offense moves smoother with him, and he can shoot it from anywhere on the court. That's the definition of good at his position. Paul has shown some of his age early on. Wade isn't as efficient as people may think.

KG's the best defender in the league right now.

Darrin
12-23-2008, 02:47 PM
I can name the best player on the teams with the best record too...that takes alot of evaluative skills, no?

60-22--did that have anything to do with TD in 2003?

MoSpur
12-23-2008, 02:53 PM
60-22--did that have anything to do with TD in 2003?

C'mon? TD is top five all time not just now. You cannot deny that.

Manufan909
12-23-2008, 03:01 PM
C'mon? TD is top five all time not just now. You cannot deny that.

No, you're in denial about that. I'd put him over everyone not named Kobe or Lebron. Wade and Paul come close, but no cigar.

MoSpur
12-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Denial about what?

sonic21
12-23-2008, 03:20 PM

no, because according to them kobe is a great defender

Obstructed_View
12-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Why does everybody that puts Duncan on a list seem like they're apologetic as they're doing it?

WalterBenitez
12-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Among those babies, I'll go with LBJ, KB, TD ... the rest aren't in the same level

Allanon
12-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Regular Season

Kobe
LeBron
DWade
Duncan
CP3

Post Season

Kobe
Duncan
LeBron
DWade
CP3 < Not sure about this one, I'm sure there are better

Manufan909
12-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Denial about what?

About Tim being top 5. As a bball player, he is top 3, currently. He might not be the flashiest, or talk a big game, but he's still up there.
:flag:

MoSpur
12-23-2008, 05:45 PM
I wasn't denying it. I was saying that he is top five all time.

pawe
12-23-2008, 06:30 PM
The list is not accurate because we all know that players tend to play differently come playoff time.
my top 5 for the playoffs:
TD
Kobe
CP3
James
Pierce

jag
12-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Regular Season

Kobe
LeBron
DWade
Duncan
CP3

Post Season

Kobe
Duncan
LeBron
DWade

Agreed.

MarHill
12-23-2008, 06:43 PM
The Top 5 players are:

Lebron, Kobe, D-Wade, Duncan, CP3....but Pierce is right there as well!!

Yorae
12-23-2008, 06:46 PM
I want Bonner in there!!!! Wait, it's still 2008.....

mystargtr34
12-24-2008, 12:49 AM
Regular Season

Kobe
LeBron
DWade
Duncan
CP3

Post Season

Kobe
Duncan
LeBron
DWade

LeBron has dominated Kobe statistically since his second year. And the Cavs have made the playoffs every year while the Lakers were in the lottery. The Lakers had a better record last season, but were still a borderline playoff team until Gasol arrived.

Regular Season

1. LeBron
2. Kobe
3. Wade
4. Paul
5. Duncan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Playoffs

1. Duncan
2. Kobe
3. LeBron
4. Wade
5. Paul

Duncan is a clear number 1 to me, even slightly passed his prime. Wade has done more than LeBron in the playoffs but LeBron is a little better.

Rohirrim
12-24-2008, 01:03 AM
That's what it comes down to.

When you are in game 7 of the finals you WANT TIM DUNCAN. It's not even close!!!

Obstructed_View
12-24-2008, 03:29 AM
For playoff performances, Duncan>>>>>Pierce>Lebron>>>Kobe.

polandprzem
12-24-2008, 03:40 AM
How about the best five which will suit well on the court?

Billups
Kobe
James
Howard
Duncan

Allanon
12-24-2008, 05:09 AM
LeBron has dominated Kobe statistically since his second year. And the Cavs have made the playoffs every year while the Lakers were in the lottery. The Lakers had a better record last season, but were still a borderline playoff team until Gasol arrived.

LeBron had a significantly better team than Kobe prior to last year. Kobe basically took a D-League team (Kobe/Odom/Luke/Kwame/Smush) to the Playoffs in the West, that's pretty impressive along with his scoring 81 and outscoring the Mavs 62-61. LeBron will have his time, just not yet.

LeBron's catching up in most areas but in the 4th quarter of a close game, I still take Kobe to win the game. If I was building a new young team, I take LeBron, but for a championship contender right now, I take Kobe.

Amarè also dominates Duncan statistically but I will take Duncan in a game over Amarè any day.

mrspurs
12-24-2008, 07:43 AM
I started typing and then seen it was the same as 228's. And Ill stick with that.

Rummpd
12-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Tim Duncan = Top One in value to team! End of discussion and the rest of the list is in reality bogus. He has the highest winning percentage of any professional superstar in any sport for a decade in his career. The facts speak for themselves as dunks and scoring ability and flash do not equal the most fundementally sound big in the history of the game (with the Dream being his only competitor) in value to a team.

50 cent
12-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Kobe

Duncan
Lebron

Wade
Paul

Baseline
12-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Top 5

LeBron James
Tim Duncan
DWade
Dwight Howard
Chris Paul

HarlemHeat37
12-24-2008, 05:15 PM
the consensus top 7 in the NBA should be(in no order) Lebron, Kobe, Duncan, KG, Howard, Paul, and Wade IMO..everybody else in the NBA is significantly lower..

Manufan909
12-24-2008, 05:20 PM
I wasn't denying it. I was saying that he is top five all time.

Yeah, but you deny he is top 5 currently. Who are the 5 players, RIGHT NOW, that you think are better?

mystargtr34
12-24-2008, 05:46 PM
LeBron had a significantly better team than Kobe prior to last year. Kobe basically took a D-League team (Kobe/Odom/Luke/Kwame/Smush) to the Playoffs in the West, that's pretty impressive along with his scoring 81 and outscoring the Mavs 62-61. LeBron will have his time, just not yet.

LeBron's catching up in most areas but in the 4th quarter of a close game, I still take Kobe to win the game. If I was building a new young team, I take LeBron, but for a championship contender right now, I take Kobe.

Amarè also dominates Duncan statistically but I will take Duncan in a game over Amarè any day.

Duncan averages more rebounds, assists and blocks? One season Amare put up 26 a game in a run and gun Suns team which is the only time he had a considerable scoring lead over Duncan.

What are you talking about?

Stats show that LeBron averages more points, rebounds and assists on a better FG% and more efficiently than Kobe in the last 2 minutes of a game?

Its hard to argue with stats like that.

Also, LeBron's second best player before this season was Drew Gooden.

Odom>Gooden.

MoSpur
12-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeah, but you deny he is top 5 currently. Who are the 5 players, RIGHT NOW, that you think are better?

I think you read my post wrong. I was saying that he is not just top five now, but that he is ALSO top five all time.