PDA

View Full Version : Nazr:"I'm ready to Work"

milkyway21
02-26-2005, 12:00 AM
'I'm ready to work'
Popovich, Spurs ready to give Muhammed a chance
Posted: Friday February 25, 2005 8:13PM; Updated: Friday February 25, 2005 8:13PM

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Even at 6-foot-10, Nazr Muhammed will have a hard time filling the San Antonio Spurs roster slot left behind by the smaller Malik Rose.

Muhammed arrived in San Antonio on Friday, a day after the Spurs acquired him from the New York Knicks in a trade for the 6-foot-7 Rose, an energetic and overachieving reserve who was one of the most beloved players in team history.

Muhammed said Thursday's deal caught him by surprise, but that it was a pleasant surprise.

"I'm very fortunate because I'm coming to the best team in the league," he said. "I'm ready to work, and we'll go from there."

Even though he's coming late in the season, Muhammed believes he'll be an asset as San Antonio tries to win its third NBA title.

"I feel I'm one of the better rebounders in this league, and I feel at the center position I'm as good as most centers or better than most centers in this league," he said.

Muhammed started as the Knicks' center in all 54 games through Thursday, averaging 10.9 points and 8.1 rebounds.

His stats are better than those of San Antonio starting center Rasho Nesterovic, whose averages of 5.7 points and 6.8 rebounds are both down from last year.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich wouldn't say Friday whether he envisioned Muhammed as a backup to Nesterovic or a starter.

"Nazr's a player," he said. "We'll see." :rolleyes

Spurs players said Friday that they were stunned by the deal that shook up their hoops family, and that they already miss Rose's presence on the court and in the locker room.

"Sometimes loved ones go -- it's part of the business," forward Bruce Bowen said after a team practice. "It's just that San Antonio is such a great organization and the community is so great that you forget that."

At the same time, they're ready to embrace Muhammed in the hope that he can help them win another championship.

"I think we are smart guys and we are good people and will try to make him fit in the team as well as Malik did," guard Manu Ginobili said. "That's the only goal."

Bowen, a teammate of Muhammed's in Philadelphia for part of the 1999-2000 season, said he expects the Spurs and their fans to quickly accept their new player.

"Nazr's a good guy," he said. "He didn't have anything to do with this (trade). I think it's important for us that we welcome him and let him know what we're about as a community, as an organization, as a family."

Popovich, whose relationship with the emotional Rose has been at times rocky, said he was downhearted about the deal. But, he said, it was still the right thing to do.
"You don't not trade somebody because he's a good guy," said Popovich, who brought Rose to San Antonio as a free agent in 1997. "This is about winning."

This season the Spurs got out to their best-ever start, and they now sport the league's best record at 42-12.

But Rose's role on the team was in near constant flux for the past two seasons, and with four-plus years left on a $42 million contract signed in 2002, management didn't hide its desire to unload him to free up salary-cap space.

After posting a career-high 10.4 points and 6.4 rebounds in the 2002-03 championship season, Rose lost playing time to Robert Horry last year and his production fell off to 7.9 points and 4.8 rebounds.

This season, still sharing time with Horry, Rose averaged 6.3 points and 4.5 rebounds

milkyway21
02-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Nazr could start? Rasho you better start dunking that ball now. And STOP those nonsense fouls...

IceColdBrewski
02-26-2005, 12:07 AM
Dude sounds happy to be here. We need to give him every chance to get accustomed to the system.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-26-2005, 12:09 AM
This team would be so much better with Nazr starting. I give it one week.

Rasho is not a good complimentary big man to Tim, but playing him with the second unit without Tim on the floor for 15 minutes or so a night he'd have a chance to shine in the post. Rasho needs touches to get involved in the offense, and it in turn drives his defense.

Meanwhile, Nazr really excels at rebounding (7th in the league in offensive rebounds) and has the length/athleticism to be a great shot blocker playing next to Tim.

I think the D will come easy for Nazr. ONce he learns the offensive sets, we'll be set. And to top it all off he'll have Horry and TMass talking to him whenever he's on the pine for the first few weeks giving him some tips (and I really like the idea of Horry mentoring the guy - Rob's probably the second smartest basketball player on this team after Barry).

milkyway21
02-26-2005, 12:10 AM
i didn't know he was once played w/ Bowen. That's nice. At least someone knows him that can show him the works...

exstatic
02-26-2005, 12:12 AM

AHF, I don't think he'll start until he learns the offensive sets. That'll take longer than a week. He may start to gobble up minutes rather quickly, though.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-26-2005, 12:23 AM
I may be overstating that one about starting, but I don't think it will take him THAT long.

You've got to learn

pick and roll
high-low
give and go
downcut
motion
and some iso based stuff

and you're good.

ChumpDumper
02-26-2005, 12:25 AM
You've got to have a key jumper too.

Bringing opponents FG% down 3-4 points whenever you're on the floor would help alot as well.

Russ
02-26-2005, 12:41 AM

He can't block shots like Rasho. Blocking and altering shots -- that's why Rasho starts. Period.

By the way, why are we so sure that Nazr is not damaged goods like Charles Smith and Charlie Ward were?

Sorry to be so negative, but something is not adding up here . . .

milkyway21
02-26-2005, 12:42 AM
plenty of time to get ready for the playoffs...

hey Bowen knows the fans are down, he is practically begging us to accept Nazr and be one of the family & community.

Of course Bruce, whatever you say.

wildbill2u
02-26-2005, 12:55 AM
I kinda like the idea of NASR starting. Tim's spot on the floor is where Rasho likes to set up--and he never has adjusted to playing from another spot. Notice that he plays better when TD isn't on the court. With Rasho backing up, he might actually play better.

ChumpDumper
02-26-2005, 12:56 AM
Tim's spot on the floor is where Rasho likes to set upWhere's Nazr's?

IceColdBrewski
02-26-2005, 12:57 AM
Where's Nazr's?

Under the basket.

ChumpDumper
02-26-2005, 12:58 AM
Under the basket.So spacing will be a problem.

Got it.

IceColdBrewski
02-26-2005, 01:00 AM
So spacing will be a problem.

Got it.

What give you that idea? Elaborate please.

ChumpDumper
02-26-2005, 01:04 AM
What give you that idea?Where is Duncan's spot?

Where have centers been parked since Duncan's second year?

I really think if Nazr gets a lot of pt, Tim will have to play alot more high post. Not that I think it's a necessarily bad thing -- it could really open up the lanes against several teams and be big for our guards.

Russ
02-26-2005, 01:09 AM
I really think if Nazr gets a lot of pt, Tim will have to play alot more high post.

I think the tail may be wagging the dog. :)

ChumpDumper
02-26-2005, 01:13 AM
I think the tail may be wagging the dog.If Nazr doesn't have a reliable jumper, it's going to be much easier to pack in on Duncan.

Do you think he has a reliable jumper?

Russ
02-26-2005, 01:16 AM
I'm not sure what Nazr has at this point. Hopefully a not-too-injured groin.

milkyway21
02-26-2005, 01:45 AM
NazR had an injury before? didn't know that.

P.S.

LakerGod is busy :lol but silent.

Dario
02-26-2005, 04:39 AM
Nazr starting and rasho coming from bench sounds more effective imo. We all know rasho is playing better with tim not around. Its all down to how nazr and tim will get along

slayermin
02-26-2005, 07:11 AM
I think Nazr gonna workout fine.

http://home.comcast.net/~slayermin_4/nazr_1.gif

http://home.comcast.net/~slayermin_4/nazr_2.gif

http://home.comcast.net/~slayermin_4/nazr_3.gif

http://home.comcast.net/~slayermin_4/nazr_4.gif

waly.mg
02-26-2005, 10:09 AM
Nazr may start from the bench
He must be the First Big Man from the Bench

Sec24Row7
02-26-2005, 12:00 PM
It's gonna take Nazr some time to get the defense down...

He isn't gonna do well on rotations for a while...

People need to be patient with him.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-26-2005, 04:27 PM
I predict Nazee's first shot will either be blocked or will be an airball!!!

You Spursies laugh at Olo that you failed to realize that Nazee is much much worse than Olo!!!

You have got to be the saddest human being on earth, 145 post here in a Spurs forum talking trash when your favorite team is 2 games under .500? I mean Jealousy is a weak emotion man, you need to get over that.

atlfan25
02-26-2005, 10:56 PM
what article is this that they can't even spell his name right?