PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Ginobili's Grimace, Ankle Grab Momentarily Alarm Popovich

duncan228
12-24-2008, 01:21 AM
Ginobili's grimace, ankle grab momentarily alarm Popovich (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Ginobilis_grimace_ankle_grab_momentarily_alarm_Pop ovich.html)
By Mike Monroe

Watching Manu Ginobili grimace as he reached down to grab his surgically repaired left ankle in the fourth quarter of Tuesday's game at the AT&T Center gave Spurs coach Gregg Popovich a momentary Beijing flashback.

This time, it appears the pain Ginobili felt with just less than five minutes left in the Spurs' 99-93 victory over Minnesota also was momentary. Popovich pulled his star guard at the first opportunity, but when Ginobili got to the bench, he waved off head trainer Will Sevening, insisting he was all right.

Ginobili returned to the game with 2:16 left and played until just 15 seconds remained and the Spurs' victory was in hand.

Popovich acknowledged fearing the worst. The last time he had seen Ginobili grabbing his ankle was in Argentina's Olympic semifinal game against the United States, in Beijing, China. The result of that injury, described as an ankle impingement, was September surgery that cost Ginobili all of training camp and the first 12 games of the regular season.

“Well, of course,” Popovich said of his initial fears. “He's in there talking to the doctors now, just to see what that was. I'm hoping maybe it's just scar tissue, or something like that. Those things are going to happen to him while he's recovering, but we'll find out.”

A team spokesperson called Ginobili's visit with the team's medical staff routine. No X-rays or further exams were required.

Green days: Popovich recently posited that Tim Duncan would have been an ideal member of the great Boston Celtics teams of the 1980s.

“He plays a little like (Larry) Bird and (Kevin) McHale played,” Popovich said. “He has an innate understanding of the game and spatial relationships, what teammates are going to do and what's needed at a certain time. Never in a hurry. Always a patient, skillful player who understands the situation.

“I think that's how Kevin played, that's how Larry played. He's almost an anachronism. He's a throwback. He'd have been a great Celtic with those guys.”

McHale, now coaching the Timberwolves, agreed wholeheartedly.

“There's guys that transcend whenever you play, and he's one of those guys,” McHale said. “He could have played in the 1960s, '70s or '80s ... the '90s, 2000s, 2020, 2030.

“He's a very gifted, smart basketball player, and if you take the gifts you're blessed with and put some intelligence on top of that, which he's done, the game becomes very simple.”

McHale said he is especially impressed with Duncan's efficiency on the court.

“He doesn't move around a lot. He's very efficient. Conversely, our young guys move around like chickens with their heads cut off and don't get much accomplished. Then, they don't understand why they're tired and Tim is not.

“He's the wise old vet, and it takes some time to get there. Some guys aren't blessed with both the mental and physical capabilities of great stuff. Tim has them, and that's what makes him so effective.”

Rohirrim
12-24-2008, 01:26 AM
“He doesn't move around a lot. He's very efficient. Conversely, our young guys move around like chickens with their heads cut off and don't get much accomplished. Then, they don't understand why they're tired and Tim is not.

hahahahaha

honestfool84
12-24-2008, 01:55 AM
i think y'all know im not pessimistic in the least bit, especially when it comes to the spurs..

but im starting to wondering if manu will get that extension in 2012.

polandprzem
12-24-2008, 02:22 AM

:lmao

btw. Tim have been praised more this season then in others

btw2. IMO Tim plays more like ... and is as important to the team as Bill russell and George Mikan were to their teams.

polandprzem
12-24-2008, 02:48 AM
btwbtwbtw. They did not rushed Gino to get back?

He seems like he has absolutely no explosiveness and he is looking out at his ankle.

homer
12-24-2008, 03:23 AM
btwbtwbtw. They did not rushed Gino to get back?

He seems like he has absolutely no explosiveness and he is looking out at his ankle.

manu rushed himself to get back, but that's just his nature. He does look a little timid out there instead of playing with reckless abandon. IMHO ,he should save that for the PO. Maybe that's what he's thinking. I worry more about TP reinjuring his ankles. When he's attacking, he makes some really fast,hard cuts to the basket and is on the floor more than anyone in the league. :hat

stéphane
12-24-2008, 03:59 AM
Knocking on wood. Without Manu we're done. Nurse that ankle please.

Yorae
12-24-2008, 06:10 AM
I am so fucking scared. I left for the airport to pick up my sister and Manu's ankle decided to tickle him.

Capt Bringdown
12-24-2008, 07:15 AM
How long can Manu go without injuries at this stage in his career? Not very long it seems.

urunobili
12-24-2008, 07:17 AM
damn i hope it was nothing but soreness :depressed

mrspurs
12-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Dang that Manu. I like his killer instinct. But there is life after basketball. I would rather see Manu walking with his wife where ever they walk. Then see him in a wheelchair much like Earl Campbell. Ill be honest Id rather lose with Manu not being able to play to keep his health then win and find out later he needs a leg replacement. Or a walking stick. Someone needs to explain to him. We get old, and when we do, all those injuries we got while getting old come back and haunt us.

Bruno
12-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Let's hope it's nothing serious and that his ankle is fine but I don't like when a player re-injured a surgery repaired ankle or knee.

MoSpur
12-24-2008, 09:49 AM
He better not miss the Suns game.

usckk
12-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Damn! Could he have re-injured his ankle while running to contest a layup late in the 1st half? This was when he kind of fell into the camera men behind the goal.

Please be okay Manu!

hater
12-24-2008, 10:18 AM
well I'm not surprised abouot Manu's ankle. he's been playing in slow motion and scared to make any sudden move. And Manu thrived on sudden moves for his attack arsenal.

In the worst case I hope he rests some more games and just bring whatever he's got for April/May/June

honestfool84
12-24-2008, 11:20 AM
In the worst case I hope he rests some more games and just bring whatever he's got for April/May/June

/July/August/September

:D

honestfool84
12-24-2008, 11:21 AM
what that is supposed to mean; i don't know.

tomtom
12-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Fffff

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-24-2008, 12:52 PM
what that is supposed to mean; i don't know.

:lol

it's me
12-24-2008, 01:38 PM
well I'm not surprised abouot Manu's ankle. he's been playing in slow motion and scared to make any sudden move. And Manu thrived on sudden moves for his attack arsenal.

Does he have anything to bring?????
I remember his first game after the surgery…. Attempting dunks and running like crazy… yesterday, he played more like the Manu of last seasons Lakers series, the injured Manu…

50 cent
12-24-2008, 01:44 PM
It's going to be a roller coaster ride of injuries for the remainder of Manu's career. I wish the Spurs would trade him while they could still get something for him, but if not, I hope that the stars align and he gets healthy enough to have a big impact on one more Championship run.

duncan228
12-24-2008, 02:41 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp/12-23manu.jpg

2centsworth
12-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Dear God:

Please let 2centsworth be wrong.

50 cent
12-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Dear God:

Please let 2centsworth be wrong.

And 50 cent too. :lol

LaMarcus Bryant
12-24-2008, 06:43 PM
rofl.....heeeere we go again.

we should call our team the san antonio injured ankles.

Good 'ole Manu. Do you remember the last game of hte regular season in 2003, manu tweaked his ankle. He had injured it earlier in the season. Pop had a look on his face like "you reckless fuck". Luckily, it was just a tweak and he was in top form when the playoffs started. Sure hope Manu is still that resilient...........

ducks
12-24-2008, 07:58 PM
last year had the spurs had mason on the team without a healthy manu
I think spurs beat lakers and win title

Kori Ellis
12-24-2008, 08:02 PM
I think (hope) people are overreacting to Manu's ankle. I know he isn't 100% back but prior to last night's game, he had said that he felt fine heath-wise, he just wasn't in rhythm and game shape. I think it's crazy to start talking about Manu ending up in wheelchair or this being career-ending. This surgery (and this injury) wasn't THAT drastic.

Hopefully he can play 20-25 minutes a game until he's totally up to speed with Super Manu returning in time for the postseason.

LaMarcus Bryant
12-24-2008, 10:42 PM
last year had the spurs had mason on the team without a healthy manu
I think spurs beat lakers and win title

me ducks
me intentionally use bad grammar because me ducks

me not spell right always in hurry; have you seen my pollitical posts?
gos sppurs!