stxspurs
12-24-2008, 10:36 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/awards?page=awards-081223

:ihitESPN:ihit

benefactor
12-24-2008, 10:47 AM
3pt percentage last year...0.398

3pt percentage this year...0.470

That alone gets him a top 5 vote for me.

Slinkyman
12-24-2008, 10:53 AM
he deserves to be in top 5 but devin harris has already won that award. Nice trade Mavs! :tu

Bartleby
12-24-2008, 10:56 AM
And TD is left out of the defensive player of the year watch altogether.

honestfool84
12-24-2008, 11:16 AM
who cares?

it's just an award.

im sure mason would rather have a ring than a MIP award.

TDMVPDPOY
12-24-2008, 11:26 AM
im sure mason prefers mvp

Supergirl
12-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Mason, Harris, and Salmons are the only three who should be in the running for MIP right now...and Harris is really iffy since he was pretty solid last year too - he's just getting more minutes so he's putting up bigger numbers. So that really makes it come down to Salmons and Mason. Salmons has it over Mason in my book right now, but only because he is carrying a bigger load and doing a phenomenal job doing it.

nkdlunch
12-24-2008, 12:21 PM
And TD is left out of the defensive player of the year watch altogether.

and that's what makes that list fuckin pathetic

djohn14
12-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Danny Granger isnt on that either.

phyzik
12-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Rojon Rondo challenged Usain Bolt to a race... This guy is a moron. :lol

he actually thinks he is faster than Bolt!

DPG21920
12-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Sorry to say, but I do not think Tim has been a top defensive player this year.

HarlemHeat37
12-24-2008, 04:28 PM
we rank 8th defensively, despite the horrible defensive strategy in the first 5 games that skews our stats, despite the injuries..this is a starting lineup with average defenders in Tony, Bonner, Mason, and a horrible defender in Finley..hmmm, I wonder who the anchor is that has us at 8th defensively..

obviously the media doesn't take notice of this though..Duncan has been doing this ever since he got in the league, he should have at least 2..KG absolutely deserved it last year, but the only reason he got it was because he plays for the Celtics..if he didn't, they would have given it to the fancy numbers as usual, so a horrible candidate like Camby would get it again..

DMX7
12-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Mason is a baller but it's just more evidence that playing with the Spurs makes you better.

anakha
12-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Mason is a baller but it's just more evidence that playing with the Spurs makes you better.

Dear DMX7,

Not necessarily.

Regards,
Hedo Turkoglu and Brent Barry

J.T.
12-24-2008, 04:57 PM
The Spurs get considerations for end of season awards but rarely win them because they wear the boring silver and black. Kind of like how ESPN sucks off the Cowboys non stop because they wear stars on their helmets, but reverse of that. Rarely you'll see cases of a Spur player being just that. much. better. (Duncan MVPs, Robinson MVP, Ginobili 6th man, etc.) Voters often just look at stat lines and SportsCenter highlight reels and nothing more. Mason has no shot at MIP.

#2!
12-24-2008, 05:07 PM
obviously the media doesn't take notice of this though..Duncan has been doing this ever since he got in the league, he should have at least 2..KG absolutely deserved it last year, but the only reason he got it was because he plays for the Celtics..if he didn't, they would have given it to the fancy numbers as usual, so a horrible candidate like Camby would get it again..

sad but true. Last year all of a sudden the media decided KG should get it b/c he was the anchor of the best defensive team in the league even though he wasn't even close to the top in defensive stats. Of course when Tim was that anchor on the best defensive team of the season, the award always went to individual defenders(even though it never went to Bruce, the person Kobe says is the best individual defender in the league), or stats guys like Camby.....

just can't get past all that bullshit, the award doesn't mean anything

HarlemHeat37
12-24-2008, 05:12 PM
most awards in the NBA are irrelevant..

there are only a few awards I find credible..MVP, all-NBA teams, MIP..

everything else is flawed..coach of the year rarely goes to the best coach in the season, 6th man goes to guys like Manu and Jamison who would start on any team, DPOY usually goes strictly by numbers, all-star game is a joke..

MannyIsGod
12-24-2008, 05:47 PM

everything else is flawed..coach of the year rarely goes to the best coach in the season, 6th man goes to guys like Manu and Jamison who would start on any team, DPOY usually goes strictly by numbers, all-star game is a joke..

I'm sorry. :lmao

12-24-2008, 06:18 PM
mason needs to be a legitimate starter to earn MIP.

Austin_Toros
12-24-2008, 06:36 PM
mason needs to be a legitimate starter to earn MIP.

exactly!
he needs to consistently get 30+ mins per night to be a contender for the award- just like all the people in espn's list

besides, i think the people in the list are well deserving candidates.
danny granger should be close by also

timtonymanu
12-24-2008, 06:48 PM
has anyone seen the poll on espn : Who is the best rookie point guard?

Derrick Rose
Mario Chalmers
DJ Augustin
Russell Westbrook

Where the hell is Hill? I thought ESPN noticed how well he's been playing.

Chieflion
12-24-2008, 09:01 PM
rondo fastest man in the league?

All-Start Contest Idea
Fastest Player in League (Dribbling)

Each player gets 3 runs, baseline to a layup or dunk.

Best time wins.

Barbosa or Parker would win. Rondo stands no chance.

mystargtr34
12-24-2008, 09:35 PM
I think Barbosa would be the quickest from end to end with the ball in his hands.

But in terms of stopping and going and changing direction with the ball Parker blows everyone away.

Derrick Rose is quick like that too.

Spork KIller
12-24-2008, 10:32 PM
3pt percentage last year...0.398

3pt percentage this year...0.470

That alone gets him a top 5 vote for me.

:nope

phxspurfan
12-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Barbosa or Parker would win. Rondo stands no chance.

LeBron wins this one. He takes like 7 steps to go the length of the floor.

The Truth #6
12-25-2008, 12:31 AM
I do think Mason should get some consideration but I think more than anything he's just getting more minutes, which doesn't diminish his accomplishment but proves that RC scouted him well. His minutes are about twice what they were last year and his scoring is about twice as well. At least it was when I checked a couple weeks back. It actually may have gone down recently. However, he does seem to have worked very hard in OS on his shot, which does look much improved. So props for that.

sexinthatsx
12-25-2008, 02:19 AM
Mason, Harris, and Salmons are the only three who should be in the running for MIP right now...and Harris is really iffy since he was pretty solid last year too - he's just getting more minutes so he's putting up bigger numbers. So that really makes it come down to Salmons and Mason. Salmons has it over Mason in my book right now, but only because he is carrying a bigger load and doing a phenomenal job doing it.

not really, Hedo Turkoglu won MIP last year, and the average amount of time he played in 2006-2007 is 36:53 as opposed to 37:47 currently. Devin Harris' playing time averages from 33:30 in 2006-2007 to 35:53 currently. It's not that big of a jump, and for him to put up that many amount of points (i admit his rebound and assists fluctuated very little) he does automatically makes him MIP

DANILO DRASKOVIC
12-25-2008, 02:22 AM
it is still Parker, Ginobli, and Duncan's team
I dont think Mason is as important to the team as Hedo is to the Magic

I dont think getting 4 more points with an increase of 9 minutes will turn many heads

SpursFanFirst
12-25-2008, 06:22 AM

:lol Good stuff

m33p0
12-25-2008, 11:02 AM
his chances took a big hit with tony and manu returning to the lineup.

also, this is espn we're talking about.

benefactor
12-25-2008, 11:59 AM
rondo fastest man in the league?

All-Start Contest Idea
Fastest Player in League (Dribbling)

Each player gets 3 runs, baseline to a layup or dunk.

Best time wins.
I like this idea...

DAF86
12-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Everybody talks about Mason for MIP but what about Bonner?

Rummpd
12-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Now He Is!