PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Three-Point Contest Preview Likely Today (Thursday)

duncan228
12-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Three-point contest preview likely today (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Three-point_contest_preview_likely_today.html)
By Mike Monroe

PHOENIX — Today's Spurs-Suns game at U.S. Airways Arena could serve as a preview of the NBA All-Star Saturday 3-point contest that will take place in the same venue on Feb. 14.

The league's top three 3-point shooters will be on display in today's game, to be televised by ABC-TV.

New Suns forward Jason Richardson, who will be playing his fifth game with the Suns since the Dec. 10 trade that brought him from Charlotte in exchange for Raja Bell and Boris Diaw, is the league's most accurate long-range shooter, but two Spurs are right behind him.

Richardson has made 40 of 83 3-pointers (48.2 percent). Spurs guard Roger Mason Jr. has made 67 of 141 (47.5 percent). Spurs forward Matt Bonner has made 38 of 80, also 47.5 percent.

Mason is the only player ranked among the top five in 3-point percentage who also ranks among the top five in 3-pointers made. He is fourth in that category with 67. Orlando's Rashard Lewis leads the league with 78.

Mason won't try to turn today's game into a long-range shootout with Richardson but would not mind outshooting him, considering the effect that likely would have on the Spurs' chances of getting a victory.

“My challenge is to be the best player I can be,” Mason said. “Of course, I want to be in the 3-point contest, but I want to help the team. If I can do that, too, well, that would be fun.”

Coming and going: The Suns' Wednesday signing of free agent point guard Dee Brown may signal a trip to the NBA D-League for point guard Goran Dragic.

The Spurs' selection in the second round of the 2008 draft, Dragic was swapped on draft night for Malik Hairston, taken in the second round by the Suns. Dragic began the season as Steve Nash's primary backup at point guard but has struggled with his shot and has seen his playing time dwindle. Making only 17 of 60 shots in 18 games, he has not played in the Suns' last four games.

Hairston was waived by the Spurs at the conclusion of the preseason but was signed to a free agent contract on Monday after playing 11 games with the Spurs' Austin Toros team in the D-League. He averaged 19.5 points with the Toros.

#2!
12-24-2008, 11:08 PM
i wonder if bruce will spend the majority of his minutes on nash or richardson...

Flux451
12-24-2008, 11:48 PM
i wonder if bruce will spend the majority of his minutes on nash or richardson...

Definitely Richarson.

Hill on Nash will be fun to watch.

hater
12-26-2008, 02:00 PM
“My challenge is to be the best player I can be,” Mason said. “Of course, I want to be in the 3-point contest, but I want to help the team. If I can do that, too, well, that would be fun.”

Roger "the prophet" Mason