PDA

View Full Version : Better scorer : Parker or John Stockton?

MiamiHeat
12-25-2008, 07:36 PM
I say Tony Parker is the better scorer.

What about you?

Sec24Row7
12-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Did this even require any thought?

lefty
12-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Stockton because he was a better decision maker

MiamiHeat
12-25-2008, 07:40 PM
There is a debate going on about this with people I know.

I want to know expert opinions. Spurs fans.

So, do you think Parker or Stockton is the better scorer?

Chieflion
12-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Parker is the better scorer but Stockton is a far better playmaker. Stockton never broke 18ppg. Both had 2 of the greatest PFs to work with. So the PPG for both can easily be compared.

Naelven
12-25-2008, 08:22 PM
bad decision maker with 3 rings at the age of 26 and 1 Final MVP....Let's hope we have many more bad decision maker in the next 10 years !!

T Park
12-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Stockton because he was a better decision maker

wow,

did not see this guy saying that at all.

I'm floored.

lefty
12-25-2008, 08:25 PM
bad decision maker with 3 rings at the age of 26 and 1 Final MVP....Let's hope we have many more bad decision maker in the next 10 years !!

Different eras; Stock and Malone faced fantastic Lakers and Bulls teams

lefty
12-25-2008, 08:25 PM
wow,

did not see this guy saying that at all.

I'm floored.

:lmao

HarlemHeat37
12-25-2008, 08:42 PM
based on ability? definitely Tony..while Stock was the better pure shooter, Tony was better at shooting off the dribble, and was MUCH better at getting to the rim..

what separates them as players is Stockton's basketball IQ, passing ability, and defense..

Naelven
12-25-2008, 08:46 PM
based on ability? definitely Tony..while Stock was the better pure shooter, Tony was better at shooting off the dribble, and was MUCH better at getting to the rim..

what separates them as players is Stockton's basketball IQ, passing ability, and defense..

And what separates them is also 3 rings....

itzsoweezee
12-25-2008, 08:54 PM
stockton was a better shooter. parker is a better scorer in every other way.

Josepatches_
12-25-2008, 09:11 PM
And what separates them is also 3 rings....

What separates them is TD.

Parker is better scorer.Stockton was better PG

Hemotivo
12-25-2008, 09:17 PM
parker can score more

Warlord23
12-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Parker, and it ain't close. Stockton got a lot of his points off of timely cuts to the hoop (which involved getting a crisp pass from Malone) or shooting open jumpers. Tony can slice defenses in the way very few can, and he has in the past led the NBA in points in the paint, which is incredible for a 6'2" guard.

If I faced the Jazz I wouldn't be worried about shutting down Stockton one-on-one; I'd be more worried of defending the big who he runs the pick-n-roll with, because you know Stockton is going to put him in a position to score. With Tony, although he runs a lot of pick-n-roll, I'd be worried about staying in front of him and probably alter my defensive scheme to give him space and pack the paint.

remingtonbo2001
12-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Stockton's offensive ability is more similar to Nash. I think it's clear that Tony is a better scorer.

However, I think there's a better question to ask....

Who would you rather have running the point for the Spurs; Tony Parker or John Stockton (Prime)?

Sigz
12-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Stockton's offensive ability is more similar to Nash. I think it's clear that Tony is a better scorer.

However, I think there's a better question to ask....

Who would you rather have running the point for the Spurs; Tony Parker or John Stockton (Prime)?

That's easy..

I'd want the guy who has helped lead this team to 4 Championships... That same man with a finals MVP. :flag:

RC's Boss
12-25-2008, 10:16 PM
The answer to the question is Tony.... I don't think the question mentioned anything about playmaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jmehra1
12-26-2008, 01:43 AM
parker gets to the rim better than anybody in the league, and more often than not he is successful when he gets there.
His assists numbers arent as high because he is often the contributer of the pass before the assist. the spurs are all about swinging it and finding the open man so it takes numerous passes to get a quality shot which they need.
I would take parker if i needed a guy to make a bucket with the game on the line

SequSpur
12-26-2008, 01:47 AM
http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:WEn9KBUo5IFVyM:http://bp1.blogger.com/_gfa36Rccs3s/SHYido_T9JI/AAAAAAAAAEc/iywu-RJIAPU/s400/heath_ledger_joker_8.jpg

Why so serious?

DANILO DRASKOVIC
12-26-2008, 02:06 AM
I guess parker
but stockton is the all time leader in steals (I dont think they recorded steals till the 70s though)

xellos88330
12-26-2008, 03:26 AM
Parker is better scorer, bar none. Stockton had some nice skills too though.

Biggems
12-26-2008, 03:56 AM
That's easy..

I'd want the guy who has helped lead this team to 4 Championships... That same man with a finals MVP. :flag:

Tim Duncan?

Cause Parker only has 3 Rings...

kingmalaki
12-26-2008, 04:01 AM
Wow, some of y'all should go watch some old Jazz games. Don't be fooled...just because Johnny was playing alongside what...the #2 scorer in league history (is Malone #2)? Stockton could pretty much score whenever he wanted, and he was usually the one making the clutch shots for that team. Like another poster said....think of Nash's game. When Nash wants to score, he can score. It was the same with Stockton....

wisnub
12-26-2008, 04:06 AM
Parker is a better scorer than Stockton..but Stockton is a better passer than Parker due his relationship with the Mailman

spursfaninla
12-26-2008, 04:20 AM
lefty's comment made no sense. Decision making is independent of scoring; it is deciding when to score, and when to pass...

Hard to say that Stockton was not a superior PG overall.

But, when considering scoring in isolation, Tony was superior to Stockton.

Although Stockton was very efficient and shot at an incredible rate, he was not a slasher, he was not getting to the rim, and he was not getting into the paint. He was great at making an open shot created by the pnr.

mrspurs
12-26-2008, 07:52 AM
Parker is the better scorer but Stockton is a far better playmaker. Stockton never broke 18ppg. Both had 2 of the greatest PFs to work with. So the PPG for both can easily be compared.

agreed

Charles Sappa
12-26-2008, 08:05 AM
Parker no doubt!

Rogue
12-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Obviously TP is a better scorer, because TP cares scoring way more than making play. TP will never reach the height stockton was at.

tmtcsc
12-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Parker. And its not even close. Stockton was the better passer because they didn't need him to score that much, just make plays.

wildbill2u
12-26-2008, 12:40 PM

What about you?

Tony is the better on drives with layups. Stockton was no slouch, but Parker can slither through a mail slot.

Stockton had better shot on the perimeter but Tony is picking up the skill.

Stockton was able to draw more fouls. I still cant understand why Parker doesn'[t get more FTs when he spends half his life among the tall trees in the lane. He oughta be an "and 1" shooter on nearly every made FG.

When TP's career is over, all anyone will look at is his career total points v. Stockton.

Dex
12-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Tony Parker is a scoring point guard.

John Stockton was a passing point guard.

Tony has surprassed Stockton's highest averaging season (17.2) for the past four seasons (<18.6).

And Tony's high game of 55 totally eclipses Stockton's 34.

I know they told you asking questions is a good thing as a child, but this might be one toke over the line.

superbigtime
12-26-2008, 06:40 PM

What about you?

Dumber question: yours or mine?

Harry Callahan
12-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Stockton seemed like more of a pure shooter and superior passer.

Tony can get a shot off any time he wants with his quickness and speed. His ability to get to the rim and blow by just about anyone in the league is amazing.

To even talk about TP and compare him to John Stockton is a complement to Tony. TP is in the middle of his prime right now and does a great job. I'm glad the Spurs have him because he really is a special player.

Obstructed_View
12-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Stockton could have scored 30 every night, but he had good shooters and Karl Malone on his team, and since he also happened to have the best court vision in the history of the NBA, he let the other guys score. He was a very clutch shooter, and could get past just about anyone. Congratulations to Parker for working hard to become a player that could even be compared to a guy like Stockton.

layupdrill
12-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Stockton was a very underrated scorer. He played in a role where Jerry Sloan didnt need him to score, but if needed he could light up opposing teams.