PDA

View Full Version : Angst about Draft Picks/Rest of Tim Duncan Era

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-26-2005, 01:56 AM
I posted this in the player rxn thread, but I think it was getting lost and I think it merits some thought...

--------------
As for the draft picks, people are getting way too upset about two picks that will probably be 29 and 30 in two different drafts.

We have our first rounder coming in this year in Scola. You could also say LJIII will be seeings he has been out all year long.

We've still got that other pick this year, I don't think we're gonna get that much help sitting at 29 and 30 in the first round.

Take a look at the future of this team and contract length:

Duncan 2010
Ginobili 2010
Parker 2010
Rasho 2009
Beno 2009
Barry 2008
Bowen 2007 (team option through 2008, but I suspect it will be time for BB to hang it up in 2007)
Nazr 2006

You've got 6 guys locked up for basically the next 4 years (counting this year).

On top of that you're going to have Devin Brown (hopefully) inking a long term deal this year, and Scola coming in. I'm going to give Nazr the benefit of the doubt and say he pans out like I think he will, the Spurs use his bird rights to ink him to a deal through 2010 as well.

There's your core for the rest of the Tim Duncan era.

Parker/Beno
Manu/Barry
Bowen/Brown
Duncan/Scola
Nazr/Rasho

The only conceivable hole on this squad for the next two years is not having a long athletic three, and you could maybe kick in another outside shooter. So for the next 4-5 years on this team, you're looking to find a long three, then add journeymen league minimum types (vet center, outside shooter).

Looking at a long three, we've got Linton Johnson out there on the IL. The front office speaks highly of his potential. You've got Sanikidze over in Europe.

Then the Spurs have two draft picks this draft (first, second), and a second rounder next summer. So if you're worried about draft picks, we've got three cracks at finding a long three assuming the two we've already got rights to (Sanikidze, Linton) don't pan out.

Show me where in there I should be upset about losing two guaranteed contracts for bottom of first round talent.

Too many people are reacting out of emotion to this trade, and not looking at the big picture, which the Spurs front office most decidedly is. This team is set for the rest of Tim Duncan's prime after getting Scola and Devin in this summer, and probably hammering out a new deal with Nazr next summer.

We don't need two extra first rounders that would more than likely be IL fodder on this squad.
---------------

ChumpDumper
02-26-2005, 02:10 AM
1. We still have a 1st rounder this summer. We currently do not have a 2006 1st rounder. This could easily change.

2. We're more likely to trade away low first rounders than keep them. It has always been this way.

3. What AHF said. Who do you have your eyes on for #25-30 in 2006? Speak up.

El Jefe
02-26-2005, 02:22 AM
Of course it's impossible to project the next 4 or 5 years....

But I think this is a pretty fair assesment of the Spurs plan. You have Duncan, Manu and Parker all locked up, you pretty much just fill in the rest as you go with role players. You have a legit 7 footer, a promising back up point, a few wing players. You fill in the rest with young prospects like Devin or LJIII while picking up the occasional older than dirt veteran likc Mass, and you keep the team near the top of the conference with a shot to win it for the next 3 or 4 years.

Much as I liked Malik, he's heading down the road of being an over-30 6'5" PF. Not many effective guys like that exist. If it takes a few low draft picks to move him for legit size, I'll buy that for a dollar.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-26-2005, 02:26 AM
That reminds me chump - I think every other year we have traded away our #1 for the last several years. Don't see what all the big fuss is about. They've still got a pick there if they really want it.

Man In Black
02-26-2005, 02:43 AM
Javtokas may find his way back to America someday too. It's not like the Spurs don't have options. They just don't need them as early as others. For them, those hidden gems have panned out over other team ideals of "sure-thing" picks.

The Spurs know what the hell they're doing.

ChumpDumper
02-26-2005, 02:46 AM
Number of first round picks the Spurs have kept in the seven years of the Duncan era:

Two.