PDA

View Full Version : Judge Says Fox Owns Rights to a Warner Movie (Watchmen)

phyzik
12-25-2008, 09:28 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/25/business/media/25fox.html?_r=1

Judge Says Fox Owns Rights to a Warner Movie

LOS ANGELES — In a surprise ruling, a federal judge in Los Angeles said he intended to grant 20th Century Fox’s claim that it owns a copyright interest in the “Watchmen,” a movie shot by Warner Brothers and Legendary Pictures and set for release in March.

The decision was disclosed in a five-page written order issued on Wednesday. Gary A. Feess, a judge in the United States District Court for Central California, said he would provide a more detailed order soon.

Fox has been seeking to prevent Warner from releasing the film. The superhero adventure, based on the “Watchmen” graphic novel, is being directed by Zack Snyder (who also directed “300”) and has shaped up as one of most eagerly anticipated releases for next year.

A Warner spokesman, Scott Rowe, declined to comment on the ruling and the studio’s plans.

At an earlier hearing, the judge said he believed that issues in the case could be settled only at a trial, which was scheduled for late January. On Wednesday, however, Judge Feess said he had reconsidered and concluded that Fox should prevail on crucial issues.

“Fox owns a copyright interest consisting of, at the very least, the right to distribute the ‘Watchmen’ motion picture,” the ruling said.

Fox acquired rights to the “Watchmen” graphic novel in the late 1980s for the producer Lawrence Gordon, but eventually dropped its own plan to make a movie from its story, about the underside of life for superbeings.

Mr. Gordon later pursued the project with Universal Pictures, and then with Paramount Pictures, before shooting it with Warner and Legendary under an arrangement that allows Paramount to distribute the film abroad.

In ruling on Wednesday, Judge Feess advised both Fox and Warner to look toward a settlement or an appeal.

“The parties may wish to turn their efforts from preparing for trial to negotiating a resolution of this dispute or positioning the case for review,” he said.

phyzik
12-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Looks like the movie might not be coming out after all unless Fox and Warner come to some type of compromise.... that sucks. :depressed

Johnny RIngo
12-25-2008, 09:59 PM
It sounds like Fox just wants a piece of the pie. Warner's owned DC Comics for a while so I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to release the film. Even though Warner's screwed over DC many times in the past with their shitty adaptations, it was looking like they were taking Watchmen seriously. Fox's proposed version of the movie reads like garbage anyway. Glad it was canned it the 80s:

--The script begins with a prologue about terrorists taking hostages at the Statue of Liberty during the 1976 bicentennial celebrations. Adrian Veidt (never referred to as Ozymandias) leads a superhero team actually called "The Watchmen" to stop them. During the rescue attempt, the Comedian intentionally kills a hostage that's being used as shield by a terrorist. He quips, "The joke's on you."

--Almost all of the comic's back story is gone except for flashbacks to Dr. Manhattan's origin and the night that Rorschach splits the dog's head. Also gone is the sense of a rich alternate history so painstakingly established in the book.

--Speaking of Rorschach, his dialogue -- some of the most memorable passages in the comic -- has been replaced with out-of-character utterances like, "Hiya pardner, long time no see." And, "A doggy. A big old floppy-eared dog." And, "Two things I hate: street mimes... users of recreational drugs." Street mimes? After dispatching Big Figure (needlessly renamed Little Bigger in the script), Rorschach gets into the quip game by telling Nite Owl and Silk Spectre, "Toilet clogged. Big fat turd." Zing!

--Hamm's script ultimately hinges upon the revelation that Veidt's plan all along was to essentially create a hole in time through which he can assassinate Jon Osterman before his transformation into Dr. Manhattan, thereby altering the course of history to prevent a potential World War III and also eliminate superheroes from existence. (This makes little sense, since costumed adventurers existed decades before Manhattan and would presumably have gone on influencing events even if the good doctor ceased to be.)

--After some more ballyhoo, Veidt is foiled, but Dr. Manhattan is able to save his younger self from the fateful radiation blast, so time is indeed changed and Nite Owl, Rorschach and Silk Spectre find themselves -- inexplicably, since they were just in Antarctica -- in the New York City of our mundane, superhero-less reality. The kid by the newsstand is now reading a comic book called -- wait for it -- The Watchmen. And to add final insult to injury, Nite Owl sees a mounted policeman and exclaims, "Oh my God, they still ride around on horses!"

Rohirrim
12-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Fox, you better not fuck this up.

I've been waiting for this one.

Kriz-Maxima
12-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Damn, I have been waiting for this movie and the trailer looked solid.

Hermey
12-26-2008, 02:14 AM
I wonder what Hollywood will do when they run out of comic books to make movies.

Trainwreck2100
12-26-2008, 02:26 AM
i hope if fox does win it, warner leaks it to the web.

Mister Sinister
12-26-2008, 12:56 PM
35 minutes ago.

leemajors
12-26-2008, 01:11 PM
is alan moore probably laughing about this?

Mark in Austin
12-27-2008, 03:39 PM
http://www.cracked.com/blog/fox-can-eat-several-dicks/