PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on our beloved Mavs tonight

Ghazi
12-26-2008, 01:23 AM
THIS IS A GREAT WIN!!!

We showed some 4th quarter resiliency, we had multiple guys contribute, everyone had a great game in my book.

Now does it mean we're turning a corner? I wouldn't say so, as we did something similar v the Suns in the late stretch of the regular season last year.

But the Mavs have given me a wonderful CHristmas present! A win on the road against a good team.

BASS/BAREA = STOCKTON/MALONE

DIRK IS THE BEST PF IN THE GAME

WHO SAID JASON KIDD IS DONE?

Anywho, I won't be able to watch the Jazz game tommorow. I hope we come out with another victory, but I'm not sure if we have the wherewithal to get 2 straight wins on the road against good teams. We'll see what happens.

GO MAVS!

monosylab1k
12-26-2008, 01:25 AM
Quality win :tu Get another one tomorrow.

Thanks Josh, the best thing you could have done was get yourself kicked out of the game.

It's too bad Dirk is turning into almost as big a 4th quarter pussy as J-Ho. Thank God for JJ Barea having a pair.

sribb43
12-26-2008, 01:28 AM
Great win tonight on the road, the JJB and Bass pick n roll won the game for the mavs. Kidd played well and Dirk played well until he got into foul trouble

B-Roy with 0 points in the 4th, great job George, Kidd and even Bass got a look on him

J-Ho is a fucking dumb ass and need to be traded for anything

Tough game in Utah tomorrow night, Millsap is questionable with a sprained knee. If no Booz and Milsap the Mavs should win tomorrow; however this team could lay an egg tomorrow

monosylab1k
12-26-2008, 01:29 AM
on a side note, I've never watched "The Closer" before, mainly because of how much I hate the nonstop promos they play for it during basketball games. But that promo in the chopper where that ugly bitch is all "I am giving you an order..........keep breathing!" had me dying from laughter. I might start watching that show just for the unintentional comedy.

sribb43
12-26-2008, 01:32 AM
How about Diop traveling on that wide open dunk?:bang As much as i hate Bass at center, its time to DNP-CD Diop

Brickhouse
Dirk stopped being aggressive after he got in foul trouble and JHO as a blessing to the Mavs got himself ejected.

Didn't matter though since Portland choked in the end anyways.

Ghazi
If Millsap and Boozer are out tommorow I'll be very disappointed if the Mavs lose.

monosylab1k
How about Diop traveling on that wide open dunk?:bang As much as i hate Bass at center, its time to DNP-CD Diop

Diop's trade value would probably rise if he never got playing time.

Ghazi
12-26-2008, 01:33 AM
Diop's a big softie in the immediate basket area.

monosylab1k
12-26-2008, 01:34 AM
I also haven't paid much attention to Oden this season, this is my first real look at him for an entire game.

That guy sucks.

sribb43
12-26-2008, 01:34 AM
If Millsap and Boozer are out tommorow I'll be very disappointed if the Mavs lose.

Isnt it Dirks first game back in Utah since Piledriving AK47 to the floor?

monosylab1k
12-26-2008, 01:35 AM
Isnt it Dirks first game back in Utah since Piledriving AK47 to the floor?

They need to activate Stackhouse just for this game. That guy owns Utah like nobody else in the league. Both during the game, and when beating the shit out of them after the game.

Ghazi
12-26-2008, 01:36 AM
Why yes it is.

Mono regarding DIrk being a "pussy" in the 4th the Bass/Barea P/R was working so why change it?

He had 2 points in the 4th I think off an and 1 anyway.

His defense was very passive in the 2nd half though after getting in foul trouble.

TDMVPDPOY
12-26-2008, 01:38 AM
wheres tlong ahahhahaha go hide under rock man

monosylab1k
12-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Mono regarding DIrk being a "pussy" in the 4th the Bass/Barea P/R was working so why change it?

Are you counting on that working every night? And in the playoffs?

I understand his terrible defense, he couldn't risk picking up another foul. But the fact that he had no interest in getting the ball, and when he did get the ball he displayed a Tony Romo level of carelessness with it, letting Outlaw poke that thing away more times than I can count in the 4th.

And eventually they didn't even bother going to him anymore. That's just pathetic IMO. But thankfully JJ Barea has the sack that Dirk never developed.

DrHouse
12-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Mavs are playing very well as of late. I'm impressed.

They have some no named scrubs performing at very high levels (Barrea???)

Brickhouse
12-26-2008, 01:42 AM
When someone else helps with the offense early on, Dirk can get going later in the game like several games this season and almost all of last season.

He can't sustain his offensive aggression all game long and usually when he starts off hot, he cools down.

I agree though, he needs to demand the ball and stop waiting for the double team to pass out.

Brickhouse
12-26-2008, 01:44 AM
BTW as "fearless" as JJ is, some of that shit he was throwing up was stupid. Good thing Bass was there to clean it up on one look and the other two (jumper, 3) that he missed he was lucky Portland didn't capitalize on the other end.

Ghazi
12-26-2008, 01:46 AM
We will need more out of DIrk in the 4th in the long run but I have no dissatisfaction with how he performed in the 4th tonight.. took 2 shots, made 1 ... played 11 minutes... played within the offense. Got some nice rebounds too.

It's not as if he's been completely gunshy in the 4th this year... for some reason his shooting % is really low.

Ghazi
12-26-2008, 01:54 AM
I really wish we could fetch something for Josh.

Brickhouse
12-26-2008, 02:04 AM
Josh+ for Kaman

Ghazi
12-26-2008, 02:47 AM
The stretch after the Utah game is really easy. There is no excuse for the Mavs not to go 6-1 or 7-0 in these next 7 games, including the Utah game.

That would put us at 23-12 or 24-11, which is great considering we started 2-7.

mystargtr34
12-26-2008, 02:52 AM
I thought the Mavs were pretty damn good tonight. Theyre 15-4 since they got their act together, and they play the Lakers pretty close.

Findog
12-26-2008, 03:17 AM
This is an impressive win for us. Quality-wise, this is the best win of the season. The only other games I can point to is beating a short-handed Spurs team in San Antonio and a short-handed Rockets team in Houston. I'm not sold on what they're buying, that they can go to the playoffs and make some noise, but I'm finally intrigued by this team.

Portland has a good, young team, but they're not there yet, and Oden is looking pretty overrated.

Findog
12-26-2008, 03:18 AM
15-4 is not bad.

Ghazi
12-26-2008, 03:22 AM
15-4 since Stackhouse was deactivated! :)

Findog
12-26-2008, 03:27 AM
If this team really comes together, I think it has a good shot at a top five seed and a series victory. I can't imagine that they go further than that, but if they can turn Stack's expiring into something tangible and can get Josh back on the reservation, winning a series becomes much more likely. I think that's their ceiling.

Ghazi
12-26-2008, 03:39 AM
Believe Findog, believe

:lobt2:

I get that uncomfortable vibe as well. Best case scenario might be 1 series win, worst case scenario would be 9th. I feel like Rick Carlisle is doing a great job of getting the most out of our unspectacular talent though.

Anywho, I'm not getting my hopes up as long as Josh Howard is on the roster. That guy simply cannot be the 3rd option on an elite team, I don't even know if he can be the 4th option on an elite team, I don't even know if he can be a BENCH player on an elite team.

Perhaps thats exaggerating, but the Mavs talent is too thin for us to achieve anything with Josh playing half assed lax basketball.

Findog
12-26-2008, 03:41 AM
Howard is a head case and has injuries. Maybe he can be rehabilitated, maybe not. It's obvious that as he goes, so goes the season. That's partly why a lot of the fanbase wants to dump him, to get something more reliable and consistent.

Findog
12-26-2008, 03:42 AM
Josh has now reached Artest level. He hasn't yet punched out a fan, but J-Ho brings the crazy at this point.

Ghazi
12-26-2008, 03:45 AM
He's beyond rehabilitation at this point. He's 28, not 23... this is who he is and it won't change in the middle of the season. Even if the effort was there, his basketball IQ is still terrible. He might show flashes here and there, maybe even string together a solid week or two! But this is who he is, his jump shot is gone, his effort is gone, and his bball IQ was never there!. Thankfully Dirk/Terry and a few bench players have stepped up so the Mavs have stayed afloat despite his mediocrity.

Guy shot 25% in the playoffs last year, UGHHH.

Findog
12-26-2008, 03:49 AM
Yeah, I'm not opposed to moving him, but I'm wistful with what might've been with Josh. There were times he was compared to Scottie Pippen and people didn't scoff.

Brickhouse
12-26-2008, 04:35 AM
A loss against the depleted Jazz would set this team back after whatever positives they took from tonight.

Ghazi
12-26-2008, 04:49 AM
Depends on if Millsap is playing or not IMO. With Millsap in there they don't miss Boozer as much. If Millsap AND Boozer are out, we should win and be disappointed if we don't.
Every loss is bad, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over a loss against a well rested Jazz team on the road after a hard fought win against the Blazers.

I won't be able to see the game though, so I guess I won't really be able to determine anything!

The Jazz have given us matchup problems the last few years though.

mystargtr34
12-26-2008, 07:35 AM
You guys seem pretty hard on Josh Howard. Is he really that bad, i know hes had injuries recently, but damn when he was on, the Spurs just couldnt deal with he and Dirk.

Shank
12-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Mavs win by 8 and I...

JIZZ IN MY PANTS

ElNono
12-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Now, this is what I'm talking about. Props on the quality win last night. Now, if AK takes Dirk, Bass should have a field day inside with Boozer out. There's no way that Memo can contain him inside. Should be a pretty straightforward win for the Mavs...
JHo has to go. I mean, the team does not need him anymore to score 100+, and he's taking minutes away from Barea... You should still be able to fetch a semi-decent piece for him... Maybe SJax or Corey from GSW, who have been bitching lately?

leemajors
12-26-2008, 10:53 AM
i was putting my daughter to bed, and didn't see why howard got ejected - what did he do?

Findog
12-26-2008, 12:00 PM
i was putting my daughter to bed, and didn't see why howard got ejected - what did he do?

He threw Pryzbilla to the floor and then was dumb enough to jaw in his face and then bitch at the refs.

Findog
12-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Carlisle is going to Bass and Barea in crunchtime with Dirk. The defense has to respect Dirk, so it gives those other two more room to operate.

sribb43
12-26-2008, 01:05 PM
If the Mavs loss tonight I will be pissed...

No Booz, No Milsap and possibly no Okur. No excuses, Mavs must win...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705273189,00.html

Paul Millsap will not play for the Utah Jazz tonight against the Dallas Mavericks and the power forward will probably be out for 7-10 days. Results of an MRI test taken on Christmas Eve revealed that he sprained his PCL in his left knee during Tuesday night's game against Milwaukee. The test showed no tear in the ligament.
Millsap will not travel to Houston with the Jazz for Saturday night's game.

Mehmet Okur is doubtful for tonight's game. He's suffering lower back spasms and will likely miss his second game in a row.

At shootaround this morning, Jazz coach Jerry Sloan announced that Andrei Kirilenko and rookie Kosta Koufos will both start tonight.

Ghazi
12-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Wow, the Jazz are still deep, but if all those players are out (OKur, Milsap, Boozer) I'm upgrading the status of this game to MUST WIN.

A Utah team lacking those 3 players would be a lottery team over 82 games, so we need to take care of business against a "Lottery" team.

Findog
12-26-2008, 07:30 PM
This Jazz game is exactly the kind of game the Mavs lost at the end of Avery's tenure - losing on the road to teams that they should beat. Let's see what they do under The Rick.

sribb43
12-26-2008, 08:11 PM
This Jazz game is exactly the kind of game the Mavs lost at the end of Avery's tenure - losing on the road to teams that they should beat. Let's see what they do under The Rick.

This year they have seemed to beat the teams they should beat on the road with the exception being that Clippers and Bulls game early on when this team sucked balls. After winning last night, tonight is a game not to lose considering how banged up the Jazz are...D-Will isnt at 100% either with is ankle