PDA

View Full Version : Hairston Assigned to Toros

Bruno
12-26-2008, 02:07 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/081226_hairston.html
Dec. 26, 2008

SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have assigned guard/forward Malik Hairston to the Austin Toros, the NBA Development League team owned and operated by the Spurs.

The Spurs signed Hairston to a contract on Dec. 22. He was inactive in three games.

Prior to being signed by the Spurs, the 6-6, 215-pound Hairston appeared in 11 games with the Toros, averaging 19.5 points, 5.9 rebounds and 4.6 assists. He was named the D-League Performer of the Week on Dec. 22 after averaging 24.7 points, 5.3 rebounds, and 4.3 assists in three Toros wins last week.

xtremesteven33
12-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Mutombo commeth

Bartleby
12-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Mutombo commeth

Maybe. Seems like something must be up.

tav1
12-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Nothings up. They signed him to protect him, and now they're sending him back down to develop him. This is exactly what many of us said would happen when the Spurs locked him up. They'll likely do the same thing with Tolliver as soon as Oberto returns.

xtremesteven33
12-26-2008, 02:24 PM
I hope the Spurs keep Tolliver. Lots of energy and spark.

Bartleby
12-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Nothings up. They signed him to protect him, and now they're sending him back down to develop him. This is exactly what many of us said would happen when the Spurs locked him up. They'll likely do the same thing with Tolliver as soon as Oberto returns.

Gotcha. I had confused sending him down with waiving him.

Borosai
12-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Damn... and we were so close this year! Oh well, next year: Championship!

Bruno
12-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Hairston and Tolliver contracts become guaranteed in a little less than 2 weeks.

Spurs' sending down Hairston to Austin without giving him some playing time with Spurs means that he likely will be kept for the whole year. I will be surprised if they waive him.

I don't know what is Spurs' plan with Tolliver. He shows some good things but will it be enough to be kept for the whole year? If it's true that Spurs are after Mutombo, it isn't for sure a good sign for him.

Solid D
12-26-2008, 03:03 PM
I would imagine Malik had an NBA offer elsewhere last week, following his strong showing in Austin. This signing shows they wanted to keep him as their asset for the whole year and beyond.

T Park
12-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Good move. There's no minutes for malik hairston and this shows the spurs want this kid longterm which is fantastic. I really think this kid is the next bonzi wells. If the spurs are after mutombo which they have some mle left to get him, would spell the end of tolliver on the active roster him getting waived, then Austin signing him.

K-State Spur
12-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Mutombo commeth

pretty irrelevant as far as this move is concerned. hairston still has a roster spot.

Bruno
12-26-2008, 03:30 PM
would spell the end of tolliver on the active roster him getting waived, then Austin signing him.

It's not as simple as that. If Tolliver is waived and want to play in D-League, it likely won't be with Toros.

T Park
12-26-2008, 03:31 PM
It's not as simple as that. If Tolliver is waived and want to play in D-League, it likely won't be with Toros.

How would the toros no have first rights?

Bruno
12-26-2008, 03:33 PM
http://www.nba.com/dleague/dleague/transactions.html

December 25: AUSTIN
Acquired G Brian Morrison.

Toros really need a backup PG. Let's hope Morrison will be the answer.

jason1301
12-26-2008, 03:35 PM

Spurs can only have two players assigned to Toros, does that mean either Ian or Tolliver will be part of the Spurs roster?

Bruno
12-26-2008, 03:40 PM
How would the toros no have first rights?

The fact that Spurs sign him and send him down to Austin don't mean that Toros have his D-League rights.
An example of that is Blake Ahearn who is back in D-League and not with Toros.

If Tolliver is waived and go back in D-League it will be with Iowa if they haven't renounced to his D-League rights or with an almost random team with the D-League FA allocation process.

T Park
12-26-2008, 04:13 PM
I guess I'm confusing the tolliver situation which would be different than the marcus Williams situation.

urunobili
12-26-2008, 04:47 PM
I hope the Spurs keep Tolliver. Lots of energy and spark.

same here

SenorSpur
12-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Very much expected. He needs continuous court time in order to keep improving and developing. I'm just glad the Spurs officially signed him to a contract, which means he fits into their long-term plans. Also, it's good insurance in case one of the wings get injured.

MarHill
12-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Very much expected. He needs continuous court time in order to keep improving and developing. I'm just glad the Spurs officially signed him to a contract, which means he fits into their long-term plans. Also, it's good insurance in case one of the wings get injured.

I agree with that!!

:flag:

T Park
12-26-2008, 04:57 PM
yeah I really like what I've seen out of tolliver as opposed to what he brought in the preseason. I ever since the days of malik rose I've liked to have an energy big off the bench. I might be wrong but I think he has alot of potential to grow into a fantastic bench role in the future.

benefactor
12-26-2008, 05:05 PM
I agree with the general sentiment. We all pretty much knew that this was one of two scenarios. In the end it will probably be best.

Austin_Toros
12-26-2008, 05:16 PM

yeah that sounds right. they signed him just so no other team could take him, seeing that he was playing so well.

Austin_Toros
12-26-2008, 05:22 PM
what games have you been watching? this guy is shooting like a blind man, not a great rebounder and hasnt looks like a great defender at all. If we get a shot at Mutombo, someone has to go and I say hes it!

exactly! everybody is jumping on tolliver but he has proven that he cant soot in the nba.
however, i dont want motombo. if we do get him it should only be for the rest of the season.

xtremesteven33
12-26-2008, 05:38 PM
what games have you been watching? this guy is shooting like a blind man, not a great rebounder and hasnt looks like a great defender at all. If we get a shot at Mutombo, someone has to go and I say hes it!

Energy and Spark. Dont get it twisted with great shooting and great defending.

SenorSpur
12-26-2008, 05:42 PM
yeah I really like what I've seen out of tolliver as opposed to what he brought in the preseason. I ever since the days of malik rose I've liked to have an energy big off the bench. I might be wrong but I think he has alot of potential to grow into a fantastic bench role in the future.

+1

Tolliver has shown signs that he can be a really good shooter. Already he's a solid passer and has an enormously high BBIQ.

I was kinda hoping he would've gotten some burn against the Suns, but Pop decided against it.

Anyway, I'm also excited about what a future he has as an "off-the-bench" player.

ChumpDumper
12-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Great moves. If Morrison works out, the Toros should be able to take on any team in the D-League.

ChumpDumper
12-26-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm a little surprised that the Toros have kept both Robert McKiver and Tack Minor so long even after they picked up Morrison. I guess they figure they can make a decision between the two once Mohamed Abukar is healthy enough to play.

superbigtime
12-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Good move I think. I hope. Low risk move at any rate.

tav1
12-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Spurs can only have two players assigned to Toros, does that mean either Ian or Tolliver will be part of the Spurs roster?

yes.

mystargtr34
12-26-2008, 08:10 PM
I would prefer Mutombo for one season over Tolliver. Spurs will really struggle to defend the paint and rebound against bigger teams, especially LA. This problem magnifies when Duncan has to rest for 8-10 minutes in the playoffs, it becomes a lay up drill.

The Truth #6
12-26-2008, 08:19 PM
While I think Tolliver does many things well - pass, hustle - he lacks size and rebounding. If he can translate his D-league shooting to the NBA he'll be able to get minutes, but until then the Spurs would be wise to keep looking for a young big Big who can help anchor the defense. Thomas has been doing much better lately so that might make the search for a defensive big be less of an issue, and it might indirectly help Tolliver's chances of staying with the team past the upcoming cut-off.

ChumpDumper
12-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Tack Minor was waived. Abukar is playing and Morrison hasn't yet. Toros are sloppy and trailing 50-51 at the half.

bigdog
12-27-2008, 02:26 PM
It's a good thing that he is at least signed to a contract. this means no other team can get him unless it's in a trade. If the Spurs are seriously wanting to sign Mutombo then they will have to waive someone, because Mahinmi, Tolliver, and Hairston are under contract now. When Oberto comes back, they will have to decide if they want to send Tolliver or Mahinmi to Austin(likely Mahinmi), and then I think they would waive Hairston over Mahinmi to get Mutombo.

but that's only if they want to get Mutombo. if not, then it looks like we're good to go. just get Mahinmi healthy.