PDA

View Full Version : Any Road Bikers Here?

usckk
12-26-2008, 11:46 PM
I recently got a new road bike, but I am a novice.

Any tips?

Vinnie_Johnson
12-27-2008, 12:06 AM
http://www.active.com/Assets/Cycling/Roadrash.jpg

Try not to fall down.:toast

balli
12-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Recreation, competition or commuter usage?

usckk
12-27-2008, 12:15 AM
Just recreation and commuter.

Also, besides a helmet, is there other essential accessories I need to purchase?

balli
12-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Just recreation and commuter.

Also, besides a helmet, is there other essential accessories I need to purchase?
I'm not a pro or anything close, but I commute by bike and the best advice I can give you will sound trite, but it's beyond true: Watch out for cars. Never assume they do or will see you. I've been bumped twice, both times when people were making right turns while I was in their blind spot. Neither was fast or serious at all, but they could have been and yeah... just be paranoid about cars.

Padded bike shorts or your ass will be sore as fuck the first couple weeks you're consistently riding. Probably will be anyway, but padded shorts help. Mini-pump and extra tubes. Tire repair tool. I'd pick up a Camelback unless you want to die come summer. In the winter, I wear snow gators with my pants as to keep them free from the chain. If you're going to be on the bike a lot it might be worth it to get a pair of bike gloves.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2008, 01:38 AM
Helmet, biking shorts (loose or tight, doesn't matter), flat kit and pump, gloves, clipless pedals.

usckk
12-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks!

How about technique-wise? Like bike fitting..etc..?

phyzik
12-29-2008, 01:18 AM
Get a second water bottle cage if you dont already have a second or a camel back. Get a multi tool and stash it in a small bag that can velcro to your seat post or some other out-of-the-way place. Keep a spare tube in it as well. If its mostly for recreation, go to a local bike shop and hook up with a group ride, much safer in numbers and you will learn alot.

baseline bum
12-29-2008, 02:42 AM
You have to drink at Hills and Dales. Actually, even if you're not a biker it's still a good idea.

ChumpDumper
12-29-2008, 03:59 AM
Thanks!

How about technique-wise? Like bike fitting..etc..?If you're serious about bike fit, look around for a shop that has a "Fit Kit" -- it looks like an adjustable spinning trainer. When I was working at a shop we'd do the complete fitting for fifty bucks. Keep the numbers they give you because you can use it for any bike you may get in the future.

If you want to do it yourself, Greg LeMond had a book about road riding (Greg LeMond's Complete Book of Bicycling)that had an excellent section about bike fit. You could probably get a used copy of it really cheap on the internets.

If you get clipless pedals, pay very close attention to cleat position. Make sure the pedal axle is under the ball of your foot and get a pedal that has a little rotational play in it. If you get the position wrong, you could tear up your knee and make cycling really miserable for yourself. It's not difficult, but it's very important. Don't be afraid to adjust the cleat position several times before you get it right.

Dr. Gonzo
12-29-2008, 09:44 AM
My dad is a biker. He wears chaps.