PDA

View Full Version : The Final Piece To The Puzzle

timvp
02-26-2005, 12:40 PM
After the trade of Malik Rose, the Spurs have been talking about their need to get bigger. They say that to survive in the playoffs, they wanted to add size to the roster.

When your starting center is Rasho Nesterovic, a player who doesn't exactly cause fear in the hearts of your opponents, it's hard to argue that point. Malik Rose was one of the best bench players in the league when he was next to Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Kevin Willis and even Will Perdue. Now that the Spurs' dynamics have changed, Rose's lack of height became more of an issue when put next to Nesterovic, a small forward who got too slow and is playing power forward (Robert Horry), and a player who's old and never was that good anyways (Tony Massenburg). It wasn't really a matter of Rose getting worse or not accepting his role, it was more a matter that the Spurs no longer were able to utilize him as they once could. Combine that with a cheap owner who is trying to pinch pennies, and you get the true reason for why Rose is gone.

Nazr Mohammed might be the answer. Though he might not. That is why I think the Spurs' shopping isn't done. They need one more big man to add to the rotation. The Spurs win by playing great interior defense and forcing the ball into the paint on offense. To do that, you need physical players. With the loss of Rose -- one of the team's most physical players -- you need to replace that. And as the Spurs have learned, you can't always depend on a big man acquired from the Knicks at the trade deadline.

The following players are who I think the Spurs should target in the next few days:

1) Dale Davis: Davis has good size and isn't scared. He can bang and knows how to rebound and play off the ball. He's been stuck in Golden State all year and then was traded to the Hornets, but his agent is asking that he get waived. It looks like it's going to happen and the Spurs are one of the teams he is eyeing to go to. I think it would be a good move for the Spurs.

2) Alan Henderson: Henderson had been playing well with the Mavs before they shipped him off for another no defense playing ball hog. Against the Spurs, I was impressed with his defense and hustle. I think that he's always been an underrated player as many people didn't see him play in his decade with the Hawks. It's rumored that he's going back to the Mavs, but the Spurs could offer a better team and a system more friendly to his skillset.

3) Noel Felix: The Spurs liked him when he played for their summer league team this past July. For those who have never seen him play, he's a 6-foot-9, 23-year-old jumping jack in the mold of Stromile Swift. He can guard pretty much any player on the court, which should be especially useful against the long threes of the league. The knock on him is he didn't get much playing time at Fresno State, so he hasn't begun to develop much basketball skill until now. He's currently on the Yakima Sun Kings of the CBA and has been putting up huge numbers as of late.

4) Kirk Haston: He's another late bloomer who is playing well in the NBDL. He's currently third in the league in scoring (16.5 points) and third in the league in rebounding (8.7 rebounds). In 2001, he was the 16th overall pick by the Charlotte Hornets. At 6-10 and 245 pound, he has good size and good hands. The question on him is whether he's athletic enough for the NBA. However, he has good post moves and has really developed his game over the last year. He's could be a worthwhile project.

T Park
02-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Id sign Dale Davis.

Hed fill the Kevin Willis role perfectly.

ducks
02-26-2005, 12:46 PM
davis could not hurt

Kori Ellis
02-26-2005, 12:48 PM
I think Dale Davis will go to Indiana. He spent 9 years there and probably would like to go back (they say he's interested in Indy, Detroit, SA, and Miami).

I think Alan Henderson would be a good fit. The plan (I believe) is that he is going to go back to Dallas, but a few other teams are definitely going to give him a look. He can give you defense and rebounding which might be the only thing the Spurs are really looking for.

I am not going to pimp Noel because he's my friend and I can't even think that I wouldn't be biased in doing so. I'll just say that he's Spurs material on and off the court. If they want a project as opposed to a vet, I think he's a good prospect.

I do not know enough about Haston to make a judgement. If the Spurs are going to pick up a young front court player, I'd like it to be someone athletic.

timvp
02-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Former Warriors center Dale Davis has not reported to New Orleans and is seeking a buyout of his contract, according to his agent, James Wells. Wells said he was in negotiations with the Hornets for a release and expected a resolution this weekend. Davis, who would like to join a playoff contender, needs to sign with a team by March 1 to be included on its playoff roster. Though Wells declined to name interested teams, a league source said the likeliest destinations are Indiana, Detroit and San Antonio.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/02/26/SPG54BHHMV1.DTL

Looks like it's hit the print media.

Intersting.

:smokin

Solid D
02-26-2005, 01:04 PM
Good post, timvp.

I most def. think Henderson is going back to Big D. They sorely need him and when they traded him, I knew they were hoping to see him waived and then resign. He made too much of a difference for them against teams like PHX when they needed stops. He is one terrific offensive rebounder for his size. He just has that knack. He's found his niche and that's it, D and O-reb.

Dale Davis brings savvy, toughness and experience but he's an old war bird. The safe move is Davis.

Haston has been lighting up the NBDL but then so has Matt Carroll. My vote goes to Noel Felix and take his athleticism, physical strength, energy and survivor mentality. He can run with teams like PHX and play with hard-nosed quickness against SEA.

Streakyshooter08
02-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Davis would be good I think. I am not sure if he is really interested in comming here. It would be good to keep him away from Indy or Detroit. How long will it take till he is able to sign a contract?

SenorSpur
02-26-2005, 01:11 PM
Since the Spurs apparently have yet another available roster spot and seeing as how he was just waived by the Bucks, how about the Spurs signing Alan Henderson as a backup PF?

Because I live in Dallas and have seen a few Mavs games, I can say that he was one of the few Mavs that actually was a tough, hard-nosed, defensive-minded presence. He played solid minutes backing up both Dirk and Erick Dampier, rebounded well and seemingly had a high basketball IQ. Many times, he played out of position, but never backed down from anyone.

The Mavs have this "sneaky" belief that he'll rejoin their team after he clears waivers. However I'm hearing that he's fairly frustrated because of the trade and the idea of him going back to them is not a SLAM DUNK.

What do you all think?

T Park
02-26-2005, 01:12 PM
They would have to have him signed by monday, to be able to be on the playoff roster.

ChumpDumper
02-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Davis can block a few shots, that's about the only thing that really sets him apart from Massenburg at this point. He does seem to be the only guy who might actually play if signed, but who does he strike fear in these days?

I'd be a bit more interested in getting an SF or tweener who might get some PT in certain matchups that completely hose us. Tommy Smith (though now injured), Felix and Tang Hamilton may fit that bill.

LJ completely left Scola out of the equation, so I have to give his article an "incomplete."

Much has been made of how Nazr plays Shaq, which is a red herring and not worth discussing. There are only two or three guys in the league who could bother Shaq straight up, and they were not available. This move was made in part due to secondary frontline guys who go off on us when they shoot over guys like Rose and Massenburg and/or are too quick for Rasho. Juwan Howard (7-13 last game). Marcus Fizer (6-12). Marc Jackson (7-14). Reggie Evans (11-14 in two games).

I've got big questions about Nazr's durability and fit in our offense, but there are enough possible positives that this move can't be dismissed out of hand.

maxpower
02-26-2005, 01:17 PM
I'd like to get henderson if anything to keep him from Dallas...and their wink wink trade...btw Bucks GM... Larry Harris...Dallas asst coach Del Harris...brothers if i'm not mistaken.

timvp
02-26-2005, 01:18 PM
Father and son.

timvp
02-26-2005, 01:33 PM
LJ completely left Scola out of the equation, so I have to give his article an "incomplete."

Do you see Scola as the savior? I'm not quite sure what to expect out of him as he's another short power forward.

P.S.

It was a post not an article :)

maxpower
02-26-2005, 01:33 PM
even better..."hey son, how would you like to take a 14 mil a year stiff off our books?"

ChumpDumper
02-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Do you see Scola as the savior? Don't know, but I do know he was a factor in the trade.

Sure read like an article.

Henderson has been doing yeoman's work this season and would be another addition that would actually play. I see him going back to Dallas for some reason, though.

ChumpDumper
02-26-2005, 02:27 PM
I would like to have taken a look at Lonnie Jones, but it looks like he got a "Euroleagues" gig.

Jackie Butler is already a man at 19, could be a nice player.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-26-2005, 04:00 PM
How is 6'9" short for a power forward Timvp, that's how tall Elton Brand is also.

timvp
02-26-2005, 04:03 PM
Elton Brand is short too.

And both Brand and Scola are closer to 6-foot-8.

ShoogarBear
02-26-2005, 04:53 PM
I'd love to see the Spurs screw the Mavs out of Henderson, but ain't gonna happen.

Hey, timvp, want another big man, how about . . . Karl Malone?

whottt
02-26-2005, 06:15 PM
Now that the Spurs' dynamics have changed, Rose's lack of height became more of an issue when put next to Nesterovic,

Hmmm our record is 43-12 and we are the best team in the NBA, we are also the best defensive team in the NBA. Most of our losses have been because of our inability to match up with big 2 guards and long SF's......exactly how has Malik's height become more of an issue...Yao wasn't the reason we lost the first two games to the Rockets, Pop was responsible for at least one of them...and Yao is easily dealt with if you run him.

I trust your judgement on big's...if you guys say Felix is a good pick up, I trust it, although I thought he was more of a 3 than a PF...Still...I'll trust it. Besides, it might restore the luster to our draft night chats and I am all for that :smokin

But I gotta disagree on Dale Davis being the answer...this guy is a choker and a whiner...and if you've ever seen him on Shaq he looks like he is from a different planet than Shaq...Dale Davis might be the only guy in the NBA that looks more pathetically mismatched trying to defend Shaq than Robert Horry. Mohammed will do a better job on Shaq than Davis.

And let's face it...we need this big for Miami more than any other team. Davis is not the answer...I'd just as soon take my chances with TMass...I don't think he'lll back down to Shaq and I think he's got enough lard in his butt to make Shaq work on the block.

Kori Ellis
02-26-2005, 06:25 PM
I trust your judgement on big's...if you guys say Felix is a good pick up, I trust it, although I thought he was more of a 3 than a PF

He's almost always played the 4. From high school until now, including on the Spurs summer league team. But he has been in situations where he guards everyone from shooting guards to centers.

mattyc
02-26-2005, 08:54 PM
Malik Rose was one of the best bench players in the league when he was next to Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Kevin Willis and even Will Perdue. Now that the Spurs' dynamics have changed, Rose's lack of height became more of an issue when put next to Nesterovic, a small forward who got too slow and is playing power forward (Robert Horry), and a player who's old and never was that good anyways (Tony Massenburg). It wasn't really a matter of Rose getting worse or not accepting his role, it was more a matter that the Spurs no longer were able to utilize him as they once could. Combine that with a cheap owner who is trying to pinch pennies, and you get the true reason for why Rose is gone.

Terrific post, timvp.

As for the roster spot it comes down to a vet (which is the Spurs way at times) or to go for a guy that is hungry to play in this league and prove himself in a limited time span (Felix).

A vet could be the way to go to win NOW, but a vet can also screw up a team chemistry if chosing the wrong fella.

wildbill2u
02-26-2005, 11:39 PM
He's almost always played the 4. From high school until now, including on the Spurs summer league team. But he has been in situations where he guards everyone from shooting guards to centers.

Are we still short of PFs or do we need a long 3 worse? I don't think anyone we could possibly get now is going to help very much more than Horry/Mass. But we're really hurting for a SF behind Bowen IMHO>

Kori Ellis
02-27-2005, 09:22 PM
As for the roster spot it comes down to a vet (which is the Spurs way at times) or to go for a guy that is hungry to play in this league and prove himself in a limited time span (Felix).

A vet could be the way to go to win NOW, but a vet can also screw up a team chemistry if chosing the wrong fella.

I wonder if the player they pick up is going to be number 12 (and they keep Marks, Linton and Wilks on IR) or it's going to be number 15 (and one of those guys comes off IR).

If this player is going to be number 12, then I'm all for picking up a vet. But if this is just an IR player, then I think they should pick up a groomable young player.

Are we still short of PFs or do we need a long 3 worse? I don't think anyone we could possibly get now is going to help very much more than Horry/Mass. But we're really hurting for a SF behind Bowen

The Express-News keeps reporting that they are looking for a PF for this spot. That might mean that Horry is still banged up a bit and they aren't confident in the ability of the other bigs (Mass, Marks). But you are right that they could still use a long 3.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Hmm, LJ's list looks a lot like the one I posted on Friday, with Dale Davis added ;)

pooh
02-28-2005, 02:40 AM
According to Indystar.com:

James Wells said Davis' former teammate in Portland, Rasheed Wallace, is trying to convince him to sign with the Pistons. The Spurs want to add him to their front line after trading Malik Rose to New York last week.

I really don't think he'll end up back in Indy. It's down to either the Spurs or the defending champs.

Kori Ellis
02-28-2005, 02:43 AM
Here's the latest...

The Dale Davis sweepstakes has apparently come down to the Pistons, Indiana and Phoenix, with the Pacers slightly ahead.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/0502/28/E05-102624.htm

T Park
02-28-2005, 02:43 AM
Hopefully he chooses the Spurs.

IR Massenburg, cut Marks.

Kori Ellis
02-28-2005, 02:44 AM
Why would you cut Marks? The Spurs have an open roster spot.

ChumpDumper
02-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Jackie Butler is already a man at 19, could be a nice player.Knicks Sign Jackie Butler

NEW YORK, February 27, 2005 – New York Knickerbockers President of Basketball Operations Isiah Thomas announced today that 19-year-old center Jackie Butler has been signed as a free agent for the remainder of the season.

Butler, 6-10, 250-pounds, had appeared in 40 games for the Great Lakes Storm of the Continental Basketball Association and was averaging 18.1 points (10th in CBA), 10.7 rebounds (third) and 1.45 blocks (third) this season. The McComb, MS-native was an undrafted early entry candidate for the 2004 NBA Draft after a high school basketball career that ended at Coastal Christian Academy in Virginia Beach, VA.

The active roster is now at 12, with one on the Injured List.

http://www.nba.com/knicks/news/butler_050227.html

:drunk