PDA

View Full Version : Don't take it (or him) for granted.

Blackjack
12-27-2008, 03:36 AM
(Some background on myself, and a little props to Pop. Props to you if you read all of it, but if you don't want to read the personal garbage, skip to the highlighted segment:toast)

Maybe it's the holiday season, or maybe it just happens to be where I am in my life, but I can't help but be thankful for this team and organization.

I've been a Spurs fan for as long as I can remember, but since the start of the '02 season I've been addicted.(quite literally)

To say that I've had some "issues" in the past, would be putting it mildly. I was pretty much the stereotypical musician, and my life was completely out of control. Drugs, alchohol, women, cars, (unfortunately, sometimes at the same time) you name it, that's what my life revolved around. Maybe more accurately, devolved to.

I hit rock-bottom around '01 and wasn't sure I'd ever recover. So, to be able to look back now, it makes me all the more thankful.

A big part in my recovery happened to be the Spurs.

Like most people with addictions, I needed something to take the drugs place. The drugs may have been gone and out of my system, but the addictive personality still remained. So que the Spurs, and almost eight years later, they remain my only addiction.

Looking back, I was pretty fortunate to emerse myself into this team at the right time. I've literally missed no more than five games (all regular season) since the start of '02 and have been able to see one of the greatest runs by a professional team ever. Three championships since '02, and the best record in all of professional sports over that time? Not too shabby.(He says in his best Sandler voice)

What's really been a priviledge though, is getting to see this particular team and coach go to work over the years. For hardcore fans like myself, you couldn't ask for a better coach/team/organization to learn from. I'd imagine Auerbach's Celtics, Holzman's Knicks, and a couple others teams fans, have had the fortune of really learning the game through their teams during those periods, but it's definitely a luxury not afforded to most. I mean for people like myself, think about how much better an understanding you have for the game and the business since Pop began stalking the sidelines. It's really something that shoudn't be taken for granted.

Which brings me to what (or more appropriately, who) originally inspired me to write this.

Gregg Popovich.

I'm not sure most fans really give the man enough credit. Sure, he was blessed with an unselfish hall of famer at the back end of his career, and a future hall of famer in the form of a heralded rookie, but I'm not sure there has ever been a man that has progressed more as a coach in his time with a team, and at the same time, had a bigger fingerprint/impact on a organization.

I mean think about it, this is Pop's first and only professional coaching job. A job that that he was roundly criticized for "ripping" from Bob Hill,(still hilarious in hindsight) and a job Coach Phil would later basically deem him unqualified for, with his "simulator" blast.(in reference to Pop and his staff's lack of experience coaching or playing in the league)

Fast-forward to present day, where Coach Pop is not only one of the most respected coaches in the league, but considered to be the best, in a poll of his peers. Not only the best coach overall, but considered by some to be the best tactician, x's and o's-wise, out of timeouts and end-game situations there is. (which is a testament to how far Pop has come as a coach, that his one perceieved weakness, is now considered a strength.)

Like Tim, (and maybe some because of him) Pop has gotten better every year he's been here, and added a layer/wrinkle to his repertoire every season. Whether it's x's and o's, managing players, or the way he conducts his self on the sidelines, (go back and watch the tapes from the '99 run, he wasn't always as stoic and non-chalant in big moments. I'm sure Tim had nothing to do with that though:lol) Pop has come a long way.

He came with a philosophy, built a foundation, created a "program", stuck to his guns, and never compromised his integrity, on the way to bringing the city (and Spurs fans everywhere) more sucess than they ever could have dreamed of.

I'd say, for it being his first professional head coaching gig...

He might just have the hang of it.

Here's to Pop.:toast

homer
12-27-2008, 03:46 AM
(Some background on myself, and a little props to Pop. Props to you if you read all of it, but if you don't want to read the personal garbage, skip to the highlighted segment:toast)

Maybe it's the holiday season, or maybe it just happens to be where I am in my life, but I can't help but be thankful for this team and organization.

I've been a Spurs fan for as long as I can remember, but since the start of the '02 season I've been addicted.(quite literally)

To say that I've had some "issues" in the past, would be putting it mildly. I was pretty much the stereotypical musician, and my life was completely out of control. Drugs, alchohol, women, cars, (unfortunately, sometimes at the same time) you name it, that's what my life revolved around. Maybe more accurately, devolved to.

I hit rock-bottom around '01 and wasn't sure I'd ever recover. So, to be able to look back now, it makes me all the more thankful.

Like most people with addictions, I needed something to take the drugs place. The drugs may have been gone and out of my system, but the addictive personality still remained. So que the Spurs, and almost eight years later, they remain my only addiction.

Looking back, I was pretty fortunate to emerse myself into this team at the right time. I've literally missed no more than five games (all regular season) since the start of '02 and have been able to see one of the greatest runs by a professional team ever. Three championships since '02, and the best record in all of professional sports over that time? Not too shabby.(He says in his best Sandler voice)

What's really been a priviledge though, is getting to see this particular team and coach go to work over the years. For hardcore fans like myself, you couldn't ask for a better coach/team/organization to learn from. I'd imagine Auerbach's Celtics, Holzman's Knicks, and a couple others teams fans, have had the fortune of really learning the game through their teams during those periods, but it's definitely a luxury not afforded to most. I mean for people like myself, think about how much better an understanding you have for the game and the business since Pop began stalking the sidelines. It's really something that shoudn't be taken for granted.

Which brings me to what (or more appropriately, who) originally inspired me to write this.

Gregg Popovich.

I'm not sure most fans really give the man enough credit. Sure, he was blessed with an unselfish hall of famer at the back end of his career, and a future hall of famer in the form of a heralded rookie, but I'm not sure there has ever been a man that has progressed more as a coach in his time with a team, and at the same time, had a bigger fingerprint/impact on a organization.

I mean think about it, this is Pop's first and only professional coaching job. A job that that he was roundly criticized for "ripping" from Bob Hill,(still hilarious in hindsight) and a job Coach Phil would later basically deem him unqualified for, with his "simulator" blast.(in reference to Pop and his staff's lack of experience coaching or playing in the league)

Fast-forward to present day, where Coach Pop is not only one of the most respected coaches in the league, but considered to be the best, in a poll of his peers. Not only the best coach overall, but considered by some to be the best tactician, x's and o's-wise, out of timeouts and end-game situations there is. (which is a testament to how far Pop has come as a coach, that his one perceieved weakness, is now considered a strength.)

Like Tim, (and maybe some because of him) Pop has gotten better every year he's been here, and added a layer/wrinkle to his repertoire every season. Whether it's x's and o's, managing players, or the way he conducts his self on the sidelines, (go back and watch the tapes from the '99 run, he wasn't always as stoic and non-chalant in big moments. I'm sure Tim had nothing to do with that though:lol) Pop has come a long way.

He came with a philosophy, built a foundation, created a "program", stuck to his guns, and never compromised his integrity, on the way to bringing the city (and Spurs fans everywhere) more sucess than they ever could have dreamed of.

:toast nice read
:hat

Blackjack
12-27-2008, 03:51 AM
:toast nice read
:hat

Thanks bro:toast

T Park
12-27-2008, 03:54 AM
Seconded.

I've said all along. I don't care if they win another championship. As long as they do their best with quality individuals and don't sell out for me first thug gangsters.

Blackjack
12-27-2008, 04:08 AM
Seconded.

I've said all along. I don't care if they win another championship. As long as they do their best with quality individuals and don't sell out for me first thug gangsters.

It's definitely a luxury to be able to root for good people.:tu

Having said that, I'm not sure I'd be singing the same quality (guys) over quantity (championships) tune, had I not been so fortunate to grow up a fan of this team.

I'm a pretty competitive sonbitch, so I'm glad I don't have to worry about that dilemma. (At least for the time being.:lol)

honestfool84
12-27-2008, 04:12 AM
good read, good write.

dav4463
12-27-2008, 04:47 AM
The Spurs are class.

Dr. Gonzo
12-27-2008, 04:55 AM
Keep up the good fight!

honestfool84
12-27-2008, 04:59 AM
Keep up the good fight!

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith - Timothy.

honestfool84
12-27-2008, 05:00 AM
yes.
that's the bible for you.

so what?

urunobili
12-27-2008, 06:27 AM
spirit is shared thanks for the reminder! :toast

SenorSpur
12-27-2008, 07:04 AM
:tu

Nice read!

mrspurs
12-27-2008, 07:28 AM
Not bad at all.

boutons_
12-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Tim has needed Pop as much as Bill needed Red.

One of the very top player/coach duos is basketball history.

SequSpur
12-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Yeah Pop is starting to come around, he finally drew up a game winning play and actually gave it to the right person for a change. I want to see more Mason Jr!!!!!

wildbill2u
12-27-2008, 10:29 AM
RE: "my life was completely out of control. Drugs, alchohol, women, cars, (unfortunately, sometimes at the same time) you name it, that's what my life revolved around."

Been there, done that. At one time I made enormus amounts of money [I had to in order to have my front row seats at Spurs games and membership in the Spurs corral]

But I spent almost all of it on the best drugs, fine wines, "hot" women, world travel, and fast cars. The rest of the money I wasted.

pawe
12-27-2008, 11:37 AM
A lot of people discredit Pop for the Spurs' success because of TD. It's not always about figuring out rotations and drawing up the right plays. It's about personality development, keeping up good player-coach rapport and installing a mindset for winning. I still believe in a good combination of talent and great coaching. Keep up the good work Pop. Now send a message to TP that he should pass to RMJ more.

MarCowMar
12-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Very nice post. We're fortunate that so many people in the Spurs organization can be considered role models. Pop is a shining example of how one should deal with people.

I'm going to be a sad panda the day Pop isn't coaching and managing the Spurs.

50 cent
12-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Great post. Pop is one of the top few people I would love to sit down and have dinner with. I think he would intimidate the hell out of me and not many people could do that, but I have tremendous respect for him.

mudyez
12-27-2008, 12:39 PM
great read...and have to agree with you (and I was one of the guys, that thought pop should get fired after a few month

superbigtime
12-27-2008, 01:11 PM
Great post.

Das Texan
12-27-2008, 01:34 PM
I'd like to spend a day at various wineries with Pop.

Blackjack
12-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks to all that took the time, and to those who dropped a few kind words.:toast

I felt I had to give a little background on myself, to give the proper context as to what this team has meant to me. I hope I didn't come off as glorifying some rockstar lifestyle. I was nothing more than a self-destructive, small-time musician, greasemonkey, with some anger ("like-to-fight-guy") issues. Women seemed seem to dig it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

This team would have meant just as much to me, even if Pop and this crew weren't here at the time, but that doesn't make me any less appreciative.

Hell, if I had been a Suns fan, I'm not so sure I'd be able to say my only addiction to this day was a basketball team.:lol

lefty
12-27-2008, 06:04 PM
When you think DRob didn't approve Popovich when he took over........

Pop has come a long way; that's leadership and commitment: he did what he had to do when he replaced Bob hill with himself.

T Park
12-27-2008, 06:31 PM
When you think DRob didn't approve Popovich when he took over........

Pop has come a long way; that's leadership and commitment: he did what he had to do when he replaced Bob hill with himself.

Uh.......

He, Elliott, and Avery went to Pop to want Hill gone...

Rogue
12-27-2008, 08:12 PM
What kind of name is Pop? His name sounds serbia, is he international?

wijayas
12-27-2008, 09:05 PM

Gregg Popovich.

Blackjack, actually here is a :toast :toast :toast for you for kicking out the drugs.

NRHector
12-28-2008, 12:37 AM
well guys let's enjoy it while we still can because the "rebuilt years" are coming soon, that's the cycle in the nba

Blackjack
12-28-2008, 12:50 AM
Blackjack, actually here is a :toast :toast :toast for you for kicking out the drugs.

Appreciate the props, but I have a hard time taking credit for something that was self-inflicted.

I'm just thankful I'm alive and kickin, and among many other things, allowed to enjoy a team like the Spurs on a daily basis.:flag:

lefty
12-28-2008, 02:54 AM
Uh.......

He, Elliott, and Avery went to Pop to want Hill gone...

Maybe Elliott and AJ wanted Hill gone, but I'm pretty sure i read somewhere, back then, that Drob wasn't too thrilled about the change