PDA

View Full Version : Hubie Brown and Mike Tirico

dav4463
12-27-2008, 04:34 AM
Did those guys sound like they just found a lump of coal in their stocking or what after Mason hit the game-winning three ? !!!

It was a Shaq lovefest all afternoon and then those darn Spurs went and spoiled their Christmas!:lol

Kori Ellis
12-27-2008, 04:47 AM
Mike Tirico should have known it wasn't his day when he was referring to the Cavaliers as the "Cleveland Browns" and he didn't even correct himself.

dav4463
12-27-2008, 04:49 AM
Mike Tirico should have known it wasn't his day when he was referring to the Cavaliers as the "Cleveland Browns" and he didn't even correct himself.

I had forgotten about that!:lol

HarlemHeat37
12-27-2008, 05:13 AM
Mike Tirico is one of the worst announcers in sports..his bias is clear to the Lakers, Cavs and any hyped teams in the NBA and NFL..

I don't mind Hubie though, he's a great analyst..it sounded like he was cheering for the Spurs at the end of the game though, which is praising of Timmy and his complaints about the refs being against us..

Shastafarian
12-27-2008, 05:46 AM
Hubie Brown might be a tad boring but I never find him to be biased. And he knows what he's talking about. I thought Tirico had just jizzed in his pants when Shaq did that little shimmy...which incidentally DID NOT help him in getting to the basket. Then again Tirico is a sex fiend so it wouldn't surprise me if he did jizz in his pants.

roGerM
12-27-2008, 06:52 AM
Hubie Brown drives me nuts when he says "now, you a look to..." "now, seems like..." "now, this..." "now, that..." If bet, if you take the word "now" from his brain, he'll be speechless half of the time.:rolleyes
And Tirico sucks big time also.:ihit

SenorSpur
12-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Hubie Brown is as great of a basketball mind as there is in both broadcasting and coaching. His knowledge of the game and his analysis are just brilliant. I've never found him to be biased or overly critical when it wasn't warranted. Simply put, he's a basketball purist that just loves the game to be played the right way. That said, I've always found him to be highly complimentary of the Spurs - particularly of Duncan and Pop. I've got no issues with him and could listen to him call games all day long.

Tirico on the other hand, I can take him or leave him.

mystargtr34
12-27-2008, 07:26 AM
"Now, when you talk about Tim Duncan, your talking about 20 points and 10 rebounds a night with a couple of blocked shots"

Hubie is ok though but a bit boring and slow, great basketball mind though.

I love JVG, hes the best announcer, he makes me laugh.

mrspurs
12-27-2008, 07:30 AM
I dont listen to them either way.

scanry
12-27-2008, 10:24 AM
I like Hubie, but Tirico is really annoying.

TNT had the best announcers with Marv Albert & Steve Kerr. Steve was an amazing commentator and i hope he comes back to TNT.

SenorSpur
12-27-2008, 10:47 AM
"Now, when you talk about Tim Duncan, your talking about 20 points and 10 rebounds a night with a couple of blocked shots"

Critics and NBA experts have said they same about the Spurs for years.

JVG is certainly one of the best. He is damn funny - a bit over the top at times - but damn funny.

tav1
12-27-2008, 11:15 AM
In Hubie we trust. I listen to 75% of game calls on mute, but never Hubie Brown. I don't think Tirico is too bad, either. I live JVG, as well. And Dr. Jack. And, honestly, like listening to Bill Walton. He says a lot of hyperbolic, foolish sounding things. But I like his sincere love for the game, no matter how corny.

Hubie Brown, by the way, is not a San Antonio hater. Lots of love and respect.

Obstructed_View
12-27-2008, 11:16 AM
You guys are too sensitive. :cry

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-27-2008, 11:25 AM
I echo most of the sentiments in this thread. Tirico is fairly useless. Hubie's got a high basketball IQ but his delivery is too slow and plodding during the actual action. He makes good points. It's just that by the time he's done making it three more possessions have elapsed. Then again, anything that keeps Tirico quiet isn't an entirely bad thing.

"Now you're Tony Parker. You're going to need to shoot a high percentage shot and you can do that from the painted area. The problem the Spurs face is how to get points while you're getting a blow."

MarHill
12-27-2008, 11:26 AM
You guys are too sensitive. :cry

Spurs fans are a little sensitive!!!

You have a franchise that has been as successful as this one over the last 10 years (the most successful in all of professional sports during that time period).....people are little more sensitive for this team to get the love and admiration they believe they should get.

The Celtics and Lakers get all the love....even when they were bad and know that they are good again....the media has given them their recognition.

And a lot of Spurs fans feel slighted in the least....

I do agree in one sense that the hype of the Christmas Day Game between the Celts and the Lakers was way too much!!! And the Spurs/Suns (even though it was the undercard) was the better game.

I agree that sensitive Spurs fans (me included) should get over it. And just realize when they look back at the Golden Age of this franchise...it will never be forgotten!

Oh by they way....I'm a Hubie Brown fan. Slow or not, the man knows his basketball and I always learn something for him everytime he does a game. Mike Tirico is okay...I can take or leave him.

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2: :lobt2:(Drive for 5!!!!!)

:flag:

Biggems
12-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Hubie is awesome.......you want boring? Listen to a game called by Dr. Jack Ramsey. Don't get me wrong, Dr. Jack is super intelligent when it comes to the game of basketball, but the guy is an absolute snoozefest. Still, if you can fight off the Z's you will gain a wealth of knowledge in just one of his called games.

SenorSpur
12-27-2008, 11:36 AM
The Hubie experience is more like being at a basketball clinic. Dude is a teacher of the game.

Biggems
12-27-2008, 11:37 AM
I cannot stand Doug Collins. I have never liked him calling games. He acts like he knows what is going to happen and he makes all these predictions throughout the game and none of it actually happens. Then, he acts like he knows what kind of adjustments are going to be made or where the ball will go, but that tends to be wrong a lot too. He is just a clusterfuck of an announcer.

I can't stand Reggie Miller either. His opinions suck. His stance sucks. He messes up names and words all the time. I just wish they would stick him on the sidelines instead of calling the game.

I love me some Bill Walton. I miss Walton, Marv, and Snapper Jones.

Even though they are biased and a bit anti-Spurs...I live Van Gundy and Jackson. I like them cause they are entertaining. They fight like a married couple. It is funny to listen to, even if they forget to cover the game half the time.

I also like the Czar. He has always done a nice job calling games.

My favorite is Sean Elliott. We all love us some Sean. He is intelligent, funny, and can actually call a Spurs game with some objectivity. Sure he is a homer, but he can still call out the Spurs and give props to the opposition. I hate when he takes the night off and Dan Hughes takes his place. Hughes is smart, watchint paint dry is more entertaining than listening to him announce a game. I will say this though, he has improved a lot since last season.

xtremesteven33
12-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Hubie Brown is good to listen to for about a quarter. I just find him to talk too much and be really boring at the same time. Mix those two together and you get ANNOYING.

Best play by play: Marv Albert,Mike Breen,Bob Costas
Best color: Jeff Van Gundy,Bill Walton,Doug Collins

bigfan
12-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Tirico is a tool but Hubie is the best in the business.

superbigtime
12-27-2008, 01:18 PM
I cannot stand Doug Collins. I have never liked him calling games. He acts like he knows what is going to happen and he makes all these predictions throughout the game and none of it actually happens. Then, he acts like he knows what kind of adjustments are going to be made or where the ball will go, but that tends to be wrong a lot too. He is just a clusterfuck of an announcer.

I can't stand Reggie Miller either. His opinions suck. His stance sucks. He messes up names and words all the time. I just wish they would stick him on the sidelines instead of calling the game.

I love me some Bill Walton. I miss Walton, Marv, and Snapper Jones.

Even though they are biased and a bit anti-Spurs...I live Van Gundy and Jackson. I like them cause they are entertaining. They fight like a married couple. It is funny to listen to, even if they forget to cover the game half the time.

I also like the Czar. He has always done a nice job calling games.

My favorite is Sean Elliott. We all love us some Sean. He is intelligent, funny, and can actually call a Spurs game with some objectivity. Sure he is a homer, but he can still call out the Spurs and give props to the opposition. I hate when he takes the night off and Dan Hughes takes his place. Hughes is smart, watchint paint dry is more entertaining than listening to him announce a game. I will say this though, he has improved a lot since last season.

+1. Spot on. Would like to add that Tirico doesn't have a great knowledge of the bball game. He's like the equivalent of a Top 40 Sirius satellite radio station. He did get very excited with a couple of Nash and-1's and the Shaq turnaround J. He's certainly no Spurs fan.

Solid D
12-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Tirico did notice the play called by George Hill, "4-down" and then proceeded to forecast the designed play for Tim on the low block. :) I like Hubie Brown.

itzsoweezee
12-27-2008, 01:56 PM
i don't think they're a bad duo.

the ABC studio team, on the other hand, are the most awful collection of sports studio guys in the history of televised sports. Stuart Scott, Michael Wilbon, and Jon Berry? Complete know-nothing jackasses.

scanry
12-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Hubie Brown is good to listen to for about a quarter. I just find him to talk too much and be really boring at the same time. Mix those two together and you get ANNOYING.

Best play by play: Marv Albert,Mike Breen,Bob Costas
Best color: Jeff Van Gundy,Bill Walton,Doug Collins

Steve Kerr is (or was) probably the best color commentator. I'm just suprised that none of you guys think that of him.

Doug Collins is far from the best. During the WCF last year, we heard him say all series long on how Kobe's achievement is like that of MJ's in 1993. I got sick of hearing that.

Walton is a funny dude, but he's a band wagoner and the best example of him was in the 2005 Suns-Spurs series. At one moment he's praising Amare by saying "he's going to transform this league," and the next moment he's like "Tim Duncan is the class of the league".

admiralfats
12-27-2008, 02:48 PM

"Ok, now Tim Duncan is one of the best we have in the league..."

He always refers to things as belonging to everyone. I love him but now whenever I hear someone say "...[superlative] we have..." I think of hubie brown. I miss Marv Albert and Steve Kerr. they were so freaking funny together. They had great chemistry, and marv always saw where kerr was going with his jokes and so they came off well. JVG is good because he calls out BS when he hears it, although sometimes he's pretty fickle. I like mike breen quite a bit. he's just solid, no particular reasons. I guess it seems like he genuinely loves the NBA and it comes across in his commentary

xtremesteven33
12-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Steve Kerr is (or was) probably the best color commentator. I'm just suprised that none of you guys think that of him.

Doug Collins is far from the best. During the WCF last year, we heard him say all series long on how Kobe's achievement is like that of MJ's in 1993. I got sick of hearing that.

Walton is a funny dude, but he's a band wagoner and the best example of him was in the 2005 Suns-Spurs series. At one moment he's praising Amare by saying "he's going to transform this league," and the next moment he's like "Tim Duncan is the class of the league".

I love Walton like a love Barkley. Strictly for entertainment purposes

alchemist
12-27-2008, 02:55 PM
I love listening to Hubie, to me he's easily the best at doing what he does.

BlackSwordsMan
12-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Why did Hubie say spurs were #1 in rebounding?

lefty
12-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Hubie is a brilliant analyst

Kori Ellis
12-27-2008, 03:49 PM
The only person I can't stand to hear is Doug Collins. Other than that, I don't really care who the announcers are because I don't pay that much attention to them.

YoMamaIsCallin
12-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Doug Collins is one of the few announcers who will actually motivate me to mute the sound. (Brent Musberger is the other who comes to mind.) They both are masters at dominating the air time saying things that are either (a) stunningly obvious yet still requiring at least two sentences to articulate or (b) stupid trivia kinds of stuff straight off the media guide. At least Musberger has a pleasant voice, Collins' high sing-song just drives me bananas. I can see why he's not a coach any more, I think they fired him before the players got together and put out a contract on him.

Sean Elliott, on the other hand, makes me not fast-forward through free throws (I usually watch games off the recorder), because he almost always comes up with something original to say, and he is quite entertaining in his approach -- the opposite of the teaching mentality that Hubie Brown has. Although I love listening to Hubie also, because he sees into the game and makes interesting insights.

If Sean were motivated to be on a national broadcast network, I think he'd be the star commentator pretty soon on whatever network he was on. He is just not interested in the grind and the travel. He was on ESPN for a little while and just did not want to be away from home that much.

T Park
12-27-2008, 05:04 PM
I thought Tirico sounded excited when Mason made the shot.

Guess not...

xtremesteven33
12-27-2008, 05:27 PM
I thought Tirico sounded excited when Mason made the shot.

Guess not...

i thought so too.

NFGIII
12-27-2008, 05:34 PM

Sounds like our type of anouncer! :p:

Anyway I've always liked him and if memory serves me he was going to be our color analyst until Memphis called and he took that gig.

Udokafan05
12-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Marc Jackson is the worst in any sport. I think he is still mad about not getting the knicks job, and he hates the spurs

tp2021
12-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Marc Jackson is the worst in any sport. I think he is still mad about not getting the knicks job, and he hates the spurs

I hate that assclown.

urunobili
12-27-2008, 10:31 PM

one of the biggest douchebags in business