PDA

View Full Version : Roger Mason JR vs JR Smith

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-27-2008, 06:07 AM
A legitimate comparison?

I was curious to see how these two would compare stat wise this season. I think Roger Mason JR makes less mistakes, i havent watched any Spurs games but does he have a high bball IQ?

Thats one knock on JR but his D and rebounding is improving. Both guys hit clutch 3 pointers in their last games.....

Who will be better by the end of the season ?

HarlemHeat37
12-27-2008, 06:27 AM
JR Smith is a much, much, much more talented player..in fact, he's one of the most talented swingmen in the NBA..so for the better play, it's obviously JR..as a 6th man? I'd take JR Smith..but as a role player? Mason..Smith wouldn't fit in Pop's system, since he's one of the poorest defenders I've seen in a while, takes bad shots, and has a low basketball IQ..

Mason is a great shooter, hustles on D, and has no ego..

if I had to pick one of the 2 to have on the Spurs, with the same salary, I would take Smith..since I think Pop could do something with him..

Kamnik
12-27-2008, 07:01 AM
I put JR in the same group as VC. Crazy talent that will never be used correctly.

mrspurs
12-27-2008, 07:31 AM
JR Smith is a much, much, much more talented player..in fact, he's one of the most talented swingmen in the NBA..so for the better play, it's obviously JR..as a 6th man? I'd take JR Smith..but as a role player? Mason..Smith wouldn't fit in Pop's system, since he's one of the poorest defenders I've seen in a while, takes bad shots, and has a low basketball IQ..

Mason is a great shooter, hustles on D, and has no ego..

if I had to pick one of the 2 to have on the Spurs, with the same salary, I would take Smith..since I think Pop could do something with him..

Sounds about right.

mystargtr34
12-27-2008, 07:36 AM
I put JR in the same group as VC. Crazy talent that will never be used correctly.

VC has put up some crazy numbers and has put his talents together much better than Smith so far. He has All-NBA selections and All-Star selections (obviously he was voted in by the fans but he still would have been selected by coaches in nearly all of his appearances) Whether he is a winner or not is a different matter.

Smith isnt as talented as Carter is and was, but he is definately more talented and gifted than Mason.

Austin_Toros
12-27-2008, 08:19 AM
true, JR smith is one of the most talented guards in the league and can shoot the lights out of the ball from down town.
however, he wouldnt gel with Pop, especially because of his atrocious D. Smith can be inconsistent and has found himself in George Karl's doghouse at times in every season he's been with him.

Mason on the other hand does things JR can't, making him a better player with SA and making the spurs a better team.

To add JR to our roster would be sweet, but Mason has done (arguable) more than what Smith could ever do for us.

Bartleby
12-27-2008, 09:07 AM
If Mason had Smith's athleticism and ability to finish around the basket he would be unstoppable. That said, I think he's a great fit as is.

urunobili
12-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Mase is class dude... JR is still too immature to take advantage of his gifts... IMHO i prefer a grounded guy that made his way up the hard way... it doesn't matter if he's a bit less gifted physically, his smartness is going to have him overpass that because he knows his limitations and makes no stupid mistakes...

Mase>JR

exstatic
12-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Mase is class dude... JR is still too immature to take advantage of his gifts... IMHO i prefer a grounded guy that made his way up the hard way... it doesn't matter if he's a bit less gifted physically, his smartness is going to have him overpass that because he knows his limitations and makes no stupid mistakes...

Mase>JR

+1

JR has huge amounts of talent, but he's a knucklehead, something that Pop abhors. Mase, while he doesn't have the loads of talent, is a more complete basketball player. He's going to cover his man, he's going to set the right pick, and pop free for an easy shot, he's going to rebound, and he's going to run the play if necessary, and he's going to do all of these things correctly, and with maximum effort.

wildbill2u
12-27-2008, 10:36 AM
The history of the NBA is littered with the sad stories of guys like SMITH who have more talent than they know what to do with but never reach their potential.

Some have problems with drugs, others with egos, others can't leave the 'hood' behind and are constantly in trouble.

It might be an interesting thread: NBA Players Who Never Reached Their Potential Because of Character Flaws.

Harry Callahan
12-27-2008, 11:02 AM
JR is a VERY talented player, but a knucklehead to me. JR would let the team down when it counted.

RMJr looks like Derek Anderson without the injury problems and bad attitude.

Roger has been really really good for this team. The Spurs lack of dummys on the team thoughout the Duncan years has been a big reason why they've been the best team in the NBA the last 12 years. Of course having Duncan is the biggest reason.

pawe
12-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Smith is too moody. Sometimes he'll play with passion, sometimes playing for the heck of it. Talent wise, I'll choose Smith but in terms of professionalism, it's gotta be RMJ.

Manufan909
12-27-2008, 08:00 PM
+1

JR has huge amounts of talent, but he's a knucklehead, something that Pop abhors. Mase, while he doesn't have the loads of talent, is a more complete basketball player. He's going to cover his man, he's going to set the right pick, and pop free for an easy shot, he's going to rebound, and he's going to run the play if necessary, and he's going to do all of these things correctly, and with maximum effort.

QFT.