PDA

View Full Version : Gran Torino

MannyIsGod
12-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Man, Clint Eastwood is god damn good. This movie was excellent. The young guy isn't that great of an actor and it shows in parts, but otherwise the movie is awesome and you should go see it.

天空的颜色
12-27-2008, 09:00 AM
啊,奥巴马啊,不错的啊

MannyIsGod
12-27-2008, 09:05 AM
LOL Which part of that is Obama?

JoeChalupa
12-27-2008, 09:59 AM
I'll wait for the DVD.

DPG21920
12-27-2008, 12:22 PM
It looked awesome. Clint has really done some outstanding work. I will see if for sure, thanks for the heads up.

ZStomp
12-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Where did you see it? I saw the commercial for this movie a couple of weeks ago and thought it looked awesome but it wasn't playing in SA yet.

Rohirrim
12-28-2008, 06:39 PM
I loved this movie.

The only bad thing was the poor quality asian actors (not all of them, but some of them)

Eastwood is the Movie God of one-liners.

T Park
12-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Isn't he up for an award with this movie?

mavs>spurs2
12-28-2008, 06:40 PM
he downloaded it illegally off the internet you should arrest him officer

baseline bum
12-28-2008, 07:28 PM
I'll have to check it out.... looks great on the previews, and I love Eastwood movies (although Million Dollar Baby sucked).

Kamala
12-28-2008, 07:56 PM
This movie looks good!

I love Clint Eastwood!

mexicanjunior
12-28-2008, 08:30 PM
I watched it, Eastwood was excellent but the movie as a whole was not that great. The asian actors were terrible and the middle of the movie dragged considerably. The ending had the same letdown feel to it that "No Country For Old Men" did...

Rohirrim
12-28-2008, 09:17 PM
I thought the ending was pretty good.

I was expecting something different.

Whoever the fuck made No Country for Old men owes me 2 hours of my life back. Wtf was that.

01Snake
12-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Clint was awesome but the movie sucked. Way too predictable.

Vinnie_Johnson
12-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Great movie Classic Eastwood Get off my lawn now.:lmao

Rohirrim
12-29-2008, 12:13 AM
"I stacked you shits 5-feet high and used you as sandbags"

+1111111111

ALVAREZ6
12-29-2008, 01:59 AM
I saw this last night and I loved it. I thought it was awesome, Eastwood was the man in it...althought he's a bitter old racist man, you still love him throughout the movie. Some of the asian actors were bad, and sure some parts were predictable, but it doesn't mean the movie wasn't good. I enjoyed it a lot and want to see it again.

MannyIsGod
12-29-2008, 05:37 AM
Where did you see it? I saw the commercial for this movie a couple of weeks ago and thought it looked awesome but it wasn't playing in SA yet.

Shit, I saw it at My personal movie theater. Admission is 20 dollars or a 6 pack of beer but there isn't any popcorn just a fridge full of tamales.

Torrents of screeners FTW.

mavs>spurs2
12-29-2008, 05:44 AM
the ending totally took my by surprise is all i'll say, totally not what you expected. i was actually going to make a thread about this after seeing a commercial about a week ago and somehow forgot. badass movie though, i'd recommend seeing it

MannyIsGod
12-29-2008, 06:35 AM
I watched it, Eastwood was excellent but the movie as a whole was not that great. The asian actors were terrible and the middle of the movie dragged considerably. The ending had the same letdown feel to it that "No Country For Old Men" did...

LOL No Country For Old Men had a letdown? WTF?

T Park
12-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Yeah I agree, No Country for Old men was an amazing movie that justifiably the best picture award winner last year.

JoeChalupa
12-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Looks real good.

IronMexican
12-29-2008, 12:26 PM
I haven't watched it, but it was probably a lot better than that crap The Dark Knight. I want my 2 hours back for sitting through the whole batman movie.

stretch
12-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Whoever the fuck made No Country for Old men owes me 2 hours of my life back. Wtf was that.

You owe me 5 seconds of my life back for having read this post. Wtf was that.

Rohirrim
12-29-2008, 02:55 PM
I am sorry to hear that mr stretch. That is certainly bad news. In the future, I will try not to commit the same act on this internet website sports basketball talk forum. Seven. Eight. Nine. Ten...

IronMexican
01-04-2009, 05:35 AM
Watched it today. Best fucking movie of 2008. Clint was badass. I love how he talked shit about every race.

CharlieMac
01-04-2009, 10:41 AM
I was so excited to see this till I realized it's only open in LA and NY. Man, they have this movie, Luke Walton, and Mike D'Antoni?

jack sommerset
01-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Clint is still the man. They say this is his last movie he will act in.

chode_regulator
01-04-2009, 12:30 PM
I thought this was goign to be about one of the sweetest cars ever built.

http://www.idcow.net/idcow/products/etl2041.jpg

That being said, this movie does intrigue me. I'm sure I'll see it once it comes out on DVD.

InRareForm
01-04-2009, 12:53 PM
It was a good movie. Great acting by Clint. It was funny and the same time disheartening to see white people have a free pass at laughing at race jokes (I saw it in the heart of the OC).

Rockhound
01-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Even though he was filled with racist remarks, it really took shots at your stereotypical spoiled American kid who is materialistic and shallow.

I thought he did a great job at painting a realistic picture of the older generation and how they see the country changing. Even though he had built up a hatred for Asians because of the war he actually respected them a lot more than his own grandchildren.

There's some great shots of the actual Gran Torino, especially towards the end.

InRareForm
01-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Even though he was filled with racist remarks, it really took shots at your stereotypical spoiled American kid who is materialistic and shallow.

I thought he did a great job at painting a realistic picture of the older generation and how they see the country changing. Even though he had built up a hatred for Asians because of the war he actually respected them a lot more than his own grandchildren.

Good point.

ALVAREZ6
01-05-2009, 01:23 AM

There's some great shots of the actual Gran Torino, especially towards the end.
Oh yeah no doubt, that's why I loved it so much, it showed it from his characters point of view, and old war veteran.

Avitus1
01-05-2009, 02:05 AM
It is an awesome movie. I watched it 2 nights ago and highly enjoyed it. Clint is the fucking man and he shows that he still one hell of an actor. I will agree some that the boy Tau in the movie was kinda a shitty actor but thankfully its kinda a shitty char, his sister was good though. All and all one of the best of 08.

dirk4mvp
01-05-2009, 04:03 AM
LMAO How about we go down and get some of that gook food?

Rogue
01-05-2009, 05:07 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1205489/
Uncle clint is director&actor in this movie, the only regret of this movie is its lack of a real movie star who has won at least one Oscar. I haven't seen it yet don't wanna see such a movie that features no star. Uncle clint used to be a star half a century ago, but he has faded due to age.

L.I.T
01-05-2009, 06:21 AM
Uncle clint is director&actor in this movie, the only regret of this movie is its lack of a real movie star who has won at least one Oscar. I haven't seen it yet don't wanna see such a movie that features no star. Uncle clint used to be a star half a century ago, but he has faded due to age.

Dirty Harry has won four Oscars (Best Director and Best Picture in 2005 for Million Dollar Baby and Best Director and Best Picture for Unforgiven in 1993). He was nominated for Best Actor in 1993 for Unforgiven, Best Director and Best Picture for Mystic River in 2003 and Best Actor for Million Dollar Baby in 2005. He also was nominated for Best Director and Best Picture in 2007 for Letters from Iwo Jima. And those are just from the Academy.

Clint Eastwood is one of the last of the great movie stars left.

ATRAIN
01-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Man this movie was awesome. I didnt expect to laugh as much as I did.

2centsworth
01-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Very good movie. Lots of Outlaw Josey Wales in Clint's character.

degenerate_gambler
01-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Very good movie. Lots of Outlaw Josey Wales in Clint's character.

"dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy..."

ATRAIN
01-12-2009, 12:25 PM
I think I learned a few more racial slurs after watching this movie!!! AWESOME!!

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-12-2009, 12:41 PM
I want to see it.

ZStomp
01-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Great movie. Clint still has it.

ZStomp
01-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Dirty Harry has won four Oscars (Best Director and Best Picture in 2005 for Million Dollar Baby and Best Director and Best Picture for Unforgiven in 1993). He was nominated for Best Actor in 1993 for Unforgiven, Best Director and Best Picture for Mystic River in 2003 and Best Actor for Million Dollar Baby in 2005. He also was nominated for Best Director and Best Picture in 2007 for Letters from Iwo Jima. And those are just from the Academy.

Clint Eastwood is one of the last of the great movie stars left.

I was about to to do research until I read your post. Clint Eastwood is a "real" movie star.

So how did Manny watch this movie so early? Was he on vacation....?

fatsack
01-12-2009, 01:21 PM
i wanna see this.

ATRAIN
01-12-2009, 01:23 PM
I was about to to do research until I read your post. Clint Eastwood is a "real" movie star.

So how did Manny watch this movie so early? Was he on vacation....?

He downloaded a screener

IronMexican
01-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Easily best movie of 08.

Drachen
01-12-2009, 03:04 PM

I am sorry but I completely disagree. I think he was as intimidating or even more intimidating than I have seen him in a long time in GT. I loved the movie and Clint carried it. I mean straight from the opening he was hard core. Great great flick.

mexicanjunior
01-12-2009, 03:10 PM
LOL No Country For Old Men had a letdown? WTF?

Yes, the end was atrocious...

monosylab1k
01-12-2009, 03:11 PM
NCFOM's ending was just fine if you actually got what the movie was about.

balli
01-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Yes, the end was atrocious...

I usually Love, with a capital L, the Coen's work, but I hated No Country through and through. I thought, beyond the ending, that it was a gratuitously violent swag piece with no emotional depth or substantive purpose whatsoever.

I guess I missed it.

monosylab1k
01-12-2009, 03:18 PM
I usually Love, with a capital L, the Coen's work, but I hated No Country through and through. I thought, beyond the ending, that it was a gratuitously violent swag piece with no emotional depth or substantive purpose whatsoever.

I guess I missed it.

you sure did.

MannyIsGod
01-12-2009, 03:20 PM
The climax to a movie doesn't always have to be at the very end. The ending was just fine. I hate you fuckers making me agree with Mono.

CuckingFunt
01-12-2009, 03:20 PM
I thought No Country was brilliant. Not Fargo brilliant, by a long shot, but still pretty damned impressive.

ATRAIN
01-12-2009, 03:21 PM
The climax to a movie doesn't always have to be at the very end. The ending was just fine. I hate you fuckers making me agree with Mono.

NO SHIT, I hate it when Mono and I agree.

mexicanjunior
01-12-2009, 03:22 PM

If it was a movie about building climatic finishes and then ending with an absolute whimper...I guess it succeeded.

balli
01-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Damn. Maybe I should watch No Country again. The only time I saw it I watched a camera filmed bootleg on a 15 in TV, while I was running on the treadmill. So maybe that's why I hated it. Are you guy's sure though? What made it (beyond it's cinematography) a good movie or story? I just thought it was really, really- like vomit inducing violent while lacking in contextual narrative. Which IMO is a bad, bad combination.

CuckingFunt
01-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Damn. Maybe I should watch No Country again. The only time I saw it I watched a camera filmed bootleg while I was running on the treadmill. So maybe that's why I hated it. Are you guy's sure though? What made it (beyond it's cinematography) a good movie or story? I just thought it was really, really violent while lacking in contextual narrative.

I'd give it a watch when you're less distracted. The narrative is, I think, quite compelling, and the Coen's are absolute masters at building suspense. Amazing performances across the board, as well.

balli
01-12-2009, 03:37 PM
I'd give it a watch when you're less distracted.
Will do. I guess the Coens deserve that much.

And as long as we're talking shop on the Coens- Anybody see Burn After Reading? Any good? I really wanted to see it, but lost interest right about the time it was released, mainly due to it's relatively poor critical reception. But then again, the critics might've held it to a higher standard, thereby judging it unfairly. Anyways, is it worth a download at least?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-12-2009, 03:38 PM
I thought it was an excellent portrayal of McCarthy's book. The lack of music was a great choice.

monosylab1k
01-12-2009, 03:39 PM
If it was a movie about building climatic finishes and then ending with an absolute whimper...I guess it succeeded.

If you think that the main character died 3/4 of the way through, and that the scenes where Tommy Lee Jones talks to the guy in the wheelchair and the El Paso sheriff in the coffee shop were "super boring", then you didn't get the movie.

CuckingFunt
01-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Will do. I guess the Coens deserve that much.

And as long as we're talking shop on the Coens- Anybody see Burn After Reading? Any good? I really wanted to see it, but lost interest right about the time it was released, mainly due to it's relatively poor critical reception. But then again, the critics might've held it to a higher standard, thereby judging it unfairly. Anyways, is it worth a download at least?

I absolutely loved Burn After Reading. I, too, am a huge Coen Bros fan, and it doesn't quite stand up to Raising Arizona or O Brother, but I laughed heartily, repeatedly, from beginning to end.

2centsworth
01-12-2009, 03:43 PM
"dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy..."

The tobacco chewing and spitting.

mexicanjunior
01-12-2009, 03:49 PM
If you think that the main character died 3/4 of the way through, and that the scenes where Tommy Lee Jones talks to the guy in the wheelchair and the El Paso sheriff in the coffee shop were "super boring", then you didn't get the movie.

It would have been one thing to have shown the main character's death and it be part of the showdown that was built up between he and killer but it was just a note after the fact and done by people that weren't part of the tension in the movie. It felt like a real letdown to me...the Tommy Lee Jones speeches at the end weren't boring but just not the ending I was hoping for. If that floats your boat, then congrats on getting the ending you wanted. It didn't do much for me though...

mexicanjunior
01-12-2009, 03:50 PM
And as long as we're talking shop on the Coens- Anybody see Burn After Reading? Any good?

I rented and watched it this past weekend...loved it. The characters were funny as hell and the story was very engaging. Pitt, Clooney and Malcovich's characters were especially genius...

01-12-2009, 03:51 PM
It would have been one thing to have shown the main character's death and it be part of the showdown that was built up between he and killer but it was just a note after the fact and done by people that weren't part of the tension in the movie. It felt like a real letdown to me...the Tommy Lee Jones speeches at the end weren't boring but just not the ending I was hoping for. If that floats your boat, then congrats on getting the ending you wanted. It didn't do much for me though...

The main character didn't die.

And he wore a badge.

mexicanjunior
01-12-2009, 03:56 PM

And he wore a badge.

I was going off of monosylab1k's statement of the guy with the money being the main character. I thought the main character role was split between 3 people myself...

Trainwreck2100
01-15-2009, 06:47 PM
LMAO @ his conversation with the black guys

Calls em spooks to start it then tells them to have a nice day to end it

monosylab1k
01-15-2009, 07:11 PM
I was going off of monosylab1k's statement of the guy with the money being the main character.

I didn't say that.

I thought the main character role was split between 3 people myself...

It wasn't.

mogrovejo
01-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Brilliant movie indeed. Eastwood is the best contemporary director and the last of his kind. It's curious how his movies are becoming progressively darker and more pessimistic. Since Mystic River the path has been like that. He's been reminding me more and more of Raoul Walsh for more than one reason; and not Ford or Hawks, to whom he's often compared.

Heath Ledger
01-16-2009, 03:00 PM
He had like 30 one liners for asians. He was awesome. I agree with the shady asian acting in many scenes.

FreeMason
01-16-2009, 03:05 PM
I watched NCfOM starting at the half to the end. That's probably why I waited after the credits were over for the movie to start back up and actually finish.

Fpoonsie
01-16-2009, 03:11 PM
He had like 30 one liners for asians. He was awesome. I agree with the shady asian acting in many scenes.

Yeah. The fact that the Asian actors seemed to be ESL students gave them SOME room to underachieve w/ me, but SPECIFICALLY the scene where Tau was locked in the basement and "cryin for his freedom"...downright LAUGHABLE if it wasn't so irritating. That was supposed to be (I assume) a very tense, emotional part of the movie...and he RUINED it.

MannyIsGod
01-16-2009, 03:20 PM
The racial slurs are some of the best parts of the movie. Gook food. :lol

IronMexican
01-16-2009, 03:35 PM
"Don't put those fucking flames like those beaners" that was classic :rollin

ALVAREZ6
01-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Yeah. The fact that the Asian actors seemed to be ESL students gave them SOME room to underachieve w/ me, but SPECIFICALLY the scene where Tau was locked in the basement and "cryin for his freedom"...downright LAUGHABLE if it wasn't so irritating. That was supposed to be (I assume) a very tense, emotional part of the movie...and he RUINED it.
I had the same thoughts....

that scene was my least favorite scene in the movie, I couldn't stand how much of a screaming pussy he was in this scene. He was supposed to be raged and pissed off and trying to go get revenge, not scream for Clint to let him out so he can dildo his asshole.

leemajors
01-16-2009, 04:47 PM
I thought it was an excellent portrayal of McCarthy's book. The lack of music was a great choice.

:tu it was about as faithful an adaptation as you can get. Ballijuana, Burn After Reading was ok - very funny in some parts, uninspired in a lot. Just uneven. Better than that crappy one with Hanks, and Intolerable Cruelty, but uninspired like those two

leemajors
01-16-2009, 04:49 PM

And he wore a badge.

nailed it.

MannyIsGod
01-16-2009, 07:06 PM
In fact, OCFOM had an excellent ending. The scene where he's talking with the dude in the shack is pretty damn great.

CharlieMac
01-16-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm gonna ignore half of these posts but I will claim that this is easily one of teh best movies with in the past year that I've seen.

atxrocker
01-18-2009, 11:33 PM
saw this movie over the weekend and i thought it was pretty good. not a great, epic movie, but i did really enjoy it and got kicks out of clint in this one.

Nbadan
01-19-2009, 06:25 AM
..not too bad....but I was expecting a Unforgiven type ending...

sonic21
01-19-2009, 09:23 AM
clint is an underrated director :tu

CuckingFunt
01-19-2009, 01:14 PM
clint is an underrated director :tu

How? He's received several awards and nominations for almost every film he's directed.

xtremesteven33
01-25-2009, 01:42 AM
This movie was fantastic. :tu :tu up!

Taco
06-10-2009, 11:14 AM
http://images.redbox.com/Images/Full/GranTorino_2510.jpg
Redboxed this last night. Great movie!!!

06-10-2009, 03:46 PM
The Toad actor killed this movie for me. Felt like I was watching a bad HS play whenever he was on screen.

jack sommerset
06-10-2009, 03:57 PM
I like racist characters. Our society is way to sensitive so when I see a guy in a movie like this it makes me laugh. My favorite biggot was in Blazing Saddles. The dumb cowboy who you see on some car commercials here in Texas. Burton Gilliam is his name.

Buddy Holly
06-10-2009, 04:32 PM
I watched it last night.

I loved the directing. I loved the plot. I loved Clint Eastwood. I hated the terrible acting by everyone but Clint. I hated the cheesy gang members. I hated the long drawn out run it with the black hoodlums.

Seriously, the acting was so bad and ruined the later second half of the movie. I watched with a group of friends and we were literally laughing out loud at parts during serious scenes because the acting was so bad.

I understand Eastwood wanted to hire real Hmong actors but it showed so much on screen that they couldn't act. It ruined it. During the first half my eyes were watering up at some parts and I said to myself I'd probably need a tissue box for whatever ending. Funny how the first half Clint does most of the talking and acting and Toad is silent. Not to mention the high school aged looking Priest. Man, were we cracking up with "There will be get blood shed here tonight." Then the cops basically just saying "OK kid, time to go." as they drag him to the police car. wtf? Heck, even the cheesy Hmong gang wasn't enough to make me not think I'd be crying at the end.

But the terrible acting that I couldn't escape and that had us crackin' up in an almost painful way just made me not care about his sacrificing himself for the two terrible actors.

P.S.

I also though the barber scene where they teach Toad to talk like a man was painful.

All and all, quite disappointed with the movie, moreso everything that happened after Walt takes Toad to the hardware store.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-10-2009, 04:43 PM
I agree, the acting was absolutely fucking horrible! I don't understand how people are able to get past that. I sure couldn't. The Asian kid couldn't act if they put a gun to his head. The gang members were so bad it became obnoxious. Awesome plot, great directing, horrible, horrible acting.

IMO this is what killed the movie.

Death In June
06-10-2009, 09:35 PM
This movie was awesome. The bad acting didn't bother me so much, it actually made sense to me. The asian sect wasn't a primarily english speaking group, so it would've come across a little janky and wooden in real life.

iggypop123
06-10-2009, 10:34 PM
acting was pathetic outside of Eastwood. its seriously sad. maybe that chick did an ok job but thats it. what a way to ruin his going out party

Taco
06-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Duke: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have fucked with? That's me.

Father Janovich: Why didn't you call the police?
Walt Kowalski: Well you know, I prayed for them to come but nobody answered.

Sue Lor: There's a ton of food.
Walt Kowalski: Yeah, well just keep your hands off my dog.
Sue Lor: No worries, we only eat cats.

Smokie: Are you fucking crazy? Go back in the house.
Walt Kowalski: Yea? I blow a hole in your face and then I go in the house... and I sleep like a baby. You can count on that. We used to stack fucks like you five feet high in Korea... use you for sandbags.

Spurminator
06-11-2009, 08:44 AM
I thought it was enjoyable on the unintentional comedy scale but I can't give it much more credit than that. Still, it amazes me how Clint's characters can be so cartoonish and yet still endearing.

Dr. Gonzo
06-11-2009, 08:46 AM
That movie was cool. I thought it was really good. The racist remarks were a hilarious bonus.

JoeChalupa
06-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Time to RedBox this. :tu

Dr. Gonzo
06-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Time to RedBox this. :tu

I know you are a cheap ass so let me help you out.

www.redboxcodes.com

JoeChalupa
06-11-2009, 09:35 AM

www.redboxcodes.com

Thanks!! :tu

Dr. Gonzo
06-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Anytime buddy.

Taco
06-11-2009, 12:18 PM
That movie was cool. I thought it was really good. The racist remarks were a hilarious bonus.

What Racist remarks are you talking about Meathead?

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A1151/115188/470_115188.jpg

www.redboxcodes.com

Cool Thanks!

Viva Las Espuelas
08-03-2009, 04:34 PM
i'm glad the racial slurs were in here. movie would've sucked if it didn't. grumpy old men meets boyz in the hood.

"click clack, ding dong, and charlie chan"

:lmao

i can't believe i held on to the movie 7 days before i watched it.

Summers
08-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Loved it. Not at all what I expected, but a very entertaining movie. And I learned a new word or two.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-03-2009, 06:28 PM
This was a great movie. "What the hell are you spooks doing?" :lmao

PM5K
08-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Just saw it, loved it.....

monosylab1k
08-05-2009, 12:48 AM
it was okay. the asian actors were bad but I don't think they were bad enough to take away from the movie completely. The overuse of that stupid snare drum killed me though.

spursfan1000
08-05-2009, 02:57 AM
I saw this movie in theaters and I also have the movie for DVD, I would rate this movie a 8/10

spursfan1000
08-05-2009, 02:58 AM
it was okay. the asian actors were bad but I don't think they were bad enough to take away from the movie completely. The overuse of that stupid snare drum killed me though.

That boy *forgot his name* was a pretty bad actor, he was too dramatic.

Soul_Patch
08-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Worst acting i have ever seen in a movie. There were some good lines in it, but jesus christ, i felt like i was watching some highschool production...Eastwood couldnt even save that shit, he was good, but the rest was sooo bad it was almost unwatchable.

DarkReign
08-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Watched it last ngiht for the first time. I thought it was great. The only time I noticed the acting was when he locked Tao in the basement and he freaked out. That was terrible.