PDA

View Full Version : Analysis: Bell, Diaw bringing winning attitude to Bobcats

sonic21
12-27-2008, 05:21 PM
http://www.nba.com/2008/news/features/john_schuhmann/12/26/newbobcats/index.html

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ -- The Charlotte Bobcats have played 358 games as an NBA franchise, and only eight times have they walked into an arena as a team with a winning record.

At the beginning of their fifth season, the Bobcats' roster was light on experience, postseason or otherwise. They had made incremental progress since coming into the league, and brought in Larry Brown this summer to help take the squad to the next level.

Brown's methods take time to bear fruit, but the Bobcats' improvement was accelerated when they traded Jason Richardson, Jared Dudley and a second-round pick to Phoenix for Raja Bell, Boris Diaw and Sean Singletary on Dec. 10. Richardson was the most talented player in the deal, but sometimes quantity is more important than quality.

"We got two starters for one," Brown said of Bell and Diaw before Friday's 95-87 win in New Jersey. "That's the way I look at it. We'll never replace J-Rich, but we got two really quality guys."

Bell and Diaw have started all seven games since arriving in Charlotte. The Bobcats lost the first two games with the new additions, but have gone 4-1 since, showing improvement on both sides of the ball.

In the 23 games before Bell and Diaw arrived, the Bobcats scored 103.5 points per 100 possessions and allowed 108.2. In the seven games since, they've scored 107.4 points per 100 possessions and allowed 101.1.

"I don't know that any of us that came over can really take credit for that," Bell says modestly, even though he's clearly an upgrade over Richardson on the defensive end. "What we did realize when we got here was that this team plays hard every night. They're in a lot of ball games and they always give themselves the chance to win. If you're doing that, you're busting your butt every night and you don't have a defeated attitude, some good things can happen."

That showed on Friday, as the Bobcats held the Nets, who came in as the sixth-most efficient offense in the league, to just 87 points on 40 percent shooting. The high-scoring backcourt of Vince Carter and Devin Harris shot just 12-for-35 from the field.

On the other end, the Bobcats turned the ball over 17 times, but shot 50 percent from the floor and assisted on 26 of their 35 field goals. Raymond Felton and Emeka Okafor were the high scorers, but Diaw filled the boxscore with 16 points, eight boards and seven dimes.

Diaw has played inside more with the Bobcats, giving Okafor some much needed help on the boards. In Phoenix, he was averaging 3.8 rebounds per game, but he's pulled down 8.3 boards per contest in Charlotte. Still, it's his other abilities that Brown likes the most.

Brown values guys that can handle the ball. He's a former point guard who hasn't been afraid to use a doubly diminutive backcourt of Felton and D.J. Augustin for long stretches in order to get better ball movement from his offense.

So it says a lot that just two weeks after Diaw arrived in Charlotte, Brown was able to trust the 6-8 forward with the ball several times down the stretch of Friday's win. It paid off, as Diaw picked up a key assist in the fourth quarter and then hit the biggest basket of the game, a drive that stopped a Nets run that had cut the Charlotte lead to two.

"You always want the confidence from your coach," Diaw said afterward. "I think he trusts the fact that I'm going to make the right play, passing the ball to the right guy or shooting the ball if I'm open."

"LB recognizes that Boris is the kind of player that can not only create for himself, but create for other players on the court," Bell added.

Another guy that Brown can trust with the ball is a great thing to have in Charlotte.

"[Diaw] has always been somebody that's been like a point guard," Brown added. "He's a terrific passer."

In addition to their skills, Diaw and Bell bring experience. They've been through countless big-pressure situations, going deep into the playoffs with the Suns. Before their arrival, the Bobcats were 1-8 in games decided by five points or less. They were in games, but just couldn't finish. The new guys will help them do that, not only with their experience, but with the added depth that they create.

"Our next step is expecting to win," Bell concluded. "Good teams know the teams that they're supposed to beat. And against everyone else, they battle their butt off and try to get a win. We have to become a team like that, where we walk into a building and we know that we're going to take care of business."

Reck
12-27-2008, 05:57 PM
That's good...but they will still suck badly.

Bob Lanier
12-27-2008, 06:37 PM
They're a decent team. Better than the Knicks, Nets, and Sixers. Possibly better than Miami, the Bulls and Pacera. Not better than Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, Orlando, Atlanta, or Milwaukee, but I think they'll be competitive for one of the 7 or 8 playoff spots.

Ghazi
12-27-2008, 06:48 PM
The East is pretty competitive in the middle this year. Boston/Cleveland are way ahead of everyone else, Orlando is probably ahead of Detroit/Atlanta, but you have literally 10 teams fighting for the last 3 spots IMO.

Whereas in the West, 6 teams are already basically out of the playoffs.

YellowFever
12-27-2008, 06:57 PM
For the first time in a long while, I'm having more fun watching the Eastern conference teams battling it out more than I am the West.

layupdrill
12-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Bobcats got the better end of the Richardson deal

balli
12-27-2008, 07:43 PM
For the first time in a long while, I'm having more fun watching the Eastern conference teams battling it out more than I am the West.

Yeah. I might add Charlotte into my nightly League Pass rotation for a few weeks and see how it works. I love watching middle of the road, hard working, young teams, who don't feature an isolated superstar, scrap it out for the playoffs.

layupdrill
12-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Do the Bobcats have a better team than the Grizzlies? Talent Wise

sonic21
12-27-2008, 07:48 PM
if they keep playing like this they'll be in the playoffs.

Chieflion
12-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Do the Bobcats have a better team than the Grizzlies? Talent Wise

To answer your question, Bobcats more talented before the trade, after the trade, Grizzlies.

layupdrill
12-28-2008, 10:21 AM
To answer your question, Bobcats more talented before the trade, after the trade, Grizzlies.
How are the Bobcats less talented now?
Richardson was good, but Diaw is underrated.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Great trade for Charlotte so far, jury is still out on the Phoenix end of it.

Diaw has been a great point forward for them, he and Okafor compliment each other extremely well. Since the trade they've been one of the best rebounding teams in the NBA, and Bell is actually playing motivated basketball. Larry Brown might be able to turn them into a contender a 1-2 seasons/trades from now.

Augustin and Felton are both great 6th men, neither one is a good starting PG at least for the time being, there have been several, "trust me when I say my source is credible" blogs and article saying they're gonna trade Felton, but those articles are usually ideas pulled out of thin air.

ForeignFan
01-07-2009, 05:03 AM
That's good...but they will still suck badly.

You might want to reconsider.

bobbybob0
01-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Another analysis by Queen City Hoops (http://www.queencityhoops.com). (Take a look at their stats page (http://www.queencityhoops.com/statSearch.php), that's how a stat page should look like).

Their starting 5 is actually quite good (esp. their frontcourt), the issue now is depth.

Further Reason For Optimism in Charlotte (http://www.queencityhoops.com/StrongLineups2009.php)
01/05/2009

If I told you the Charlotte Bobcats had one of the 10 lineups in the league, what would you say? Probably something along the lines of "Stop playing NBA 2k9 and get back to reality" or "Yeah, top 10 worst - am I right? High five". But you would be destined to receive a self high-five, because this is no joke: The Bobcats current starting 5 has one of the best net efficiencies in the league. Let it sink in - mass hysteria, I know.

The quintet of Emeka Okafor, Boris Diaw, Gerald Wallace, Raja Bell, and Raymond Felton does not seem overwhelming, but the numbers (thus far) paint a different picture - one of not just competence but competition (for a winning record...and more?). The table below shows the top 12 lineups in the NBA by Net Efficiency (with a minimum of 200 possessions played together).

http://www.queencityhoops.com/images/TopLineups.jpg

I have to admit that I was just as surprised when I noticed this as you probably are now. I did not go looking for it, I just happened to be looking at the Bobcats stats under the Stats Page and noticed that the Bobcats most used lineup happened to have a dominant net efficiency. Considering how I just did the post about the team going into 2009, this adds even more reason for optimism.

There is a big difference between this finding and "An Early Evaluation of the 2009 Bobcats"; in the post, I felt compelled to note how weak the Bobcats' recent competition had been. When I went looking for similar numbers for the Bobcats fearsome fivesome, the results were not expected. Unlike the Bobcats as a whole since the trade, who have a faced a cumulative opponent with net efficiency of -3.6 (equivalent to the Bulls), the starters have a faced a net opponent of +1.4 (Approximately the Suns). That is not light weight competition, and the Bobcats are destroying against it. For comparison sake, the Dallas' lineup above has faced a -0.8, Cleveland a -5.6, Portland a +6.0 (Side note: Do not sleep on Portland, even with the loss to the Lakers last night).

The Bobcats second most used lineup since the trade, Boris, D.J., Emeka, Gerald, and Raymond has actually been even more effective, at +19.9. They have achieved that number in only 42+ minutes, though, so were not considered for the above. It is worth noting though, and further cause for optimism in Charlotte. Now, if only the Bobcats could manage to only use 6 players for the game without diminishing results, we would really be getting somewhere. Depth is an issue for another day, though, so focus on the Bobcats having the 7th best heavily used lineup in the NBA. Feels good, doesn't it?

lefty
01-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Did you see Michael Jordan motivating his players during timeouts?

Man, he can beat the defending champions without even touching a basketball :lol

Legends are legends

Dex
01-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Wouldn't it be nuts if the Bobcats made the playoffs?