PDA

View Full Version : So who is going to challenge the Lakers in the WC?

DrHouse
12-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Because right now I don't see one team that could beat them in a 7 game series.

The Rockets seem like the biggest threat if by some miracle Yao, T-Mac, and Artest could all be healthy at the same time.

San Antonio is simply not a threat anymore, they struggle to beat the gutter teams like Memphis at home. The production from their Big 3 is declining with each passing year and their bench is not really that much improved over last year.

The Hornets just don't match up with the Lakers period. They are not a threat.

The Jazz are a solid team but lack the front court to deal with Bynum, Gasol, and Odom.

As of today I just don't see any team as talented or as deep as the Lakers in the WC.

xtremesteven33
12-27-2008, 11:44 PM
we struggled to beat Memphis at home.

You lost to the Kings. at home

The_Game
12-27-2008, 11:45 PM

WRONG

Lakers lost to Kings on the road

to answer the question no one can beat the lakers in the west. they will steamroll their way through the west just like last year

DrHouse
12-27-2008, 11:47 PM

This Spurs team is not nearly as good as the Spurs of just a few years ago. They can win games with their experience alone, but talent wise they are a notch below the elite teams.

SpursDynasty
12-27-2008, 11:47 PM

The Rockets seem like the biggest threat if by some miracle Yao, T-Mac, and Artest could all be healthy at the same time.

San Antonio is simply not a threat anymore, they struggle to beat the gutter teams like Memphis at home. The production from their Big 3 is declining with each passing year and their bench is not really that much improved over last year.

The Jazz are a solid team but lack the front court to deal with Bynum, Gasol, and Odom.

As of today I just don't see any team as talented or as deep as the Lakers in the WC.

Talented and deep? The Lakers have one All-Star.

lil_penny
12-27-2008, 11:48 PM
in all honesty the lakers themselves are their biggest challenge, they can go from playing excellent ball with staggering defense, to sloppy ball and no defense. lets let the rest of the season play out and time will tell. in all honesty anything could happen. remember dallas and goldenstate? hahaha!! nevermind that type of shit only happens to dallas lol.

DrHouse
12-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Talented and deep? The Lakers have one All-Star.

Which makes it all the more embarrassing that the Lakers steamrolled the Spurs who have 3 All-Stars last season.

xtremesteven33
12-27-2008, 11:51 PM
This Spurs team is not nearly as good as the Spurs of just a few years ago. They can win games with their experience alone, but talent wise they are a notch below the elite teams.

December my friend. December

Bob Lanier
12-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Enough with the Spurs. They may or may not be a threat to the Lakers but SpursDynasty's point (for once) is well taken.

The Lakers will go as far as Kobe Bryant will take them. Houston could be a big problem for them, even (especially?) without McGrady; Yao and Scola can outplay Gasol and Bynum, and Artest is pretty damn good. It would depend on whose role players are making their perimeter shots, and Houston's shooters are simply better than L.A.'s, so that wouldn't be a bet I'd like to take.

DrHouse
12-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Enough with the Spurs. They may or may not be a threat to the Lakers but SpursDynasty's point (for once) is well taken.

The Lakers will go as far as Kobe Bryant will take them. Houston could be a big problem for them, even (especially?) without McGrady; Yao and Scola can outplay Gasol and Bynum, and Artest is pretty damn good. It would depend on whose role players are making their perimeter shots, and Houston's shooters are simply better than L.A.'s, so that wouldn't be a bet I'd like to take.

If playoff series were 1 game then yes HOU would have a shot.

But in a best of 7 the better team always wins. HOU has not shown the cohesion and chemistry yet to indicate that they are an elite team.

SpursDynasty
12-28-2008, 12:02 AM
It's fairly simple. All any team has to do is shut down Fisher and Vujacic. They are the ones that are always left open for momentum-changing 3 pointers. LA talent-wise is the 4th best team in the West. They just have the most biased homecourt officiating in the league.

Allanon
12-28-2008, 12:04 AM

I could have gone for some Houston Rockets as a threat but their size is very disturbing. After Yao, you have 6'10 Scola and then a bunch of tweener guys.

Blazers and Grizzlies are the only teams in the NBA that have the size and talent to match the Lakers but they're both too young.

The Cavs/Magic will put up a better fight against the Lakers than Boston.

Small ball can win 1-2 games in a series but I think it comes down to size.

If these teams can get a decent 7 footer, they can play with the Lakers

Spurs
Rockets
Hornets

I don't know WTF is up with the Suns/Mavs/Jazz, they look like world beaters one night and then bad another.

Denver, I think had a better chance versus the Lakers with AI.

Warlord23
12-28-2008, 12:05 AM
(Posted by O_V in the Spurs forum, repeating here for the ignorant trolls)
If you ignore the Spurs' injury ridden start (2-5) and count all the games played by every team since then,

Cleveland: 18-2

Boston: 19-3

San Antonio: 18-5

LA Lakers: 17-5

Wow, the Lakers have everyone beat. We should hand them the trophy right now.

Allanon
12-28-2008, 12:07 AM
(Posted by O_V in the Spurs forum, repeating here for the ignorant trolls)
If you ignore the Spurs' injury ridden start (2-5) and count all the games played by every team since then,

Cleveland: 18-2

Boston: 19-3

San Antonio: 18-5

LA Lakers: 17-5

Wow, the Lakers have everyone beat. We should hand them the trophy right now.

It has alot to do do with scheduling. If the Spurs still look like World Beaters after January, they have to be considered legit.

Lakers_55
12-28-2008, 12:08 AM
in all honesty the lakers themselves are their biggest challenge, they can go from playing excellent ball with staggering defense, to sloppy ball and no defense. lets let the rest of the season play out and time will tell. in all honesty anything could happen. remember dallas and goldenstate? hahaha!! nevermind that type of shit only happens to dallas lol.

Most sensible post yet. It's only December. We haven't won anything until we win it all.

Reck
12-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Lakers vs Lakers

According to Drhouse since no one is a match for the all mighty LAKERS.

Ghazi
12-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Objectively I would have to say nobody in the West and only the Cavs/Celtics from the East.

Allanon, you are stupid if you think the Magic would be more difficult for the Lakers than the Celtics.

DrHouse
12-28-2008, 12:10 AM
Nobody in the WC appears to be a match for the Lakers.

If they could win the WC without Bynum+Ariza.....and nobody in the WC has improved dramatically then it's not hard to draw a conclusion.

Findog
looks like the balance of power has swung back to the east; three of the top four teams are in the east: bos, cle and orl. the lakers belong in the group, so there's your elite four teams. after that, its wide open and a lesser tier of teams: nuggets, spurs, jazz, hornets, rockets, blazers, mavs, suns, pistons,

then the rest.

Ghazi
I'm not even sure if a team in the West could take the Lakers to 7... on paper, and based on what I've seen so far, it seems like they'd dispatch most teams in 5, and maybe a few in 6.

xtremesteven33
12-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Nobody in the WC appears to be a match for the Lakers.

If they could win the WC without Bynum+Ariza.....and nobody in the WC has improved dramatically then it's not hard to draw a conclusion.

-Steal of the draft- George Hill
-Roger Mason
-oh yea and a healthy Manu.....

i say were just as legit as the Lakers.

Lakers_55
12-28-2008, 12:14 AM
I'll add this, if we lose Bynum and Ariza again, we might take the west, but after that, it probably wouldn't be enough. We haven't seen the mid season acquisitions yet, and plenty of time for key players to get hurt on every contender.

SmellyFeet
12-28-2008, 12:15 AM
-Steal of the draft- George Hill
-Roger Mason
-oh yea and a healthy Manu.....

i say were just as legit as the Lakers.

How about you first show you can even get past the hornets?:lol

Allanon
Objectively I would have to say nobody in the West and only the Cavs/Celtics from the East.

Allanon, you are stupid if you think the Magic would be more difficult for the Lakers than the Celtics.

Celtics weak bench versus the Lakers very deep bench. Lakers were able to beat a rested Celtics team even though it was the 5th game in 7 nights for the Lakers

Celtics also lack size...after 6'10 Perkins, there is 6'8 Leon Powe and 6'8 Big Baby. Lakers match up well with the Hornets for this very same reason.

Reck
Lets let this topic die for now and bump it much later in the season.

Is simply too soon to be saying The Lakers cannot get beat by a WC team.

Ghazi
12-28-2008, 12:17 AM
Celtics weak bench versus the Lakers very deep bench. Lakers were able to beat a rested Celtics team even though it was the 5th game in 7 nights for the Lakers

Celtics also lack size...after 6'10 Perkins, there is 6'8 Leon Powe and 6'8 Big Baby. Lakers match up well with the Hornets for this very same reason.

The Celtics are simply a better team than the Magic. Every team would prefer to play the Celtics than the Magic.

xtremesteven33
12-28-2008, 12:17 AM

:rollin

didnt we beat them in 7???

MarHill
12-28-2008, 12:19 AM
Which makes it all the more embarrassing that the Lakers steamrolled the Spurs who have 3 All-Stars last season.

Game 1 89-85 Lakers
Game 2 101-71 Lakers
Game 3 103-84 Spurs
Game 4 93-91 Lakers
Game 5 100-92 Lakers

The games from last year's WCF. The Lakers didn't steamrolled the Spurs. Three close games and a blowout from each team...sorry that argument doesn't work.

And, Manu was injured in that series, I will give the Lakers credit...because they won the series fair and square. But to post that the Spurs were steamrolled is a big overstatement.

And the Spurs will be the main competition for the Lakers along with Rockets for the WC.

They will be ready by the end of the season. The Spurs do have production off the bench with Mason, Bonner, and Hill and the Phoenix game showed if you double one of big 3...they have someone else who can hit shots!

:flag:

Reck
12-28-2008, 12:19 AM

Hah he exposed himself.

The poor fool started watching Bball this season.

Allanon
12-28-2008, 12:22 AM
The Celtics are simply a better team than the Magic. Every team would prefer to play the Celtics than the Magic.

I think it's more about matchups rather than the better team. The C's I think are a little better than the Magic but the Magic match up better with the Lakers.

That's kind of like how the Lakers always struggle with the Kings, Grizzlies and Thundah. Not great teams but they match up really well with the Lakers.

But with the Magic, the Lakers have to deal with a scoring point guard in Jameer Nelson which is always a Laker Weakness. Then on top of that, you have Dwight Howard who provides real size for them and he has a decent backup in Gortat. Magic are a very long team, they pretty much match the Lakers size.

SmellyFeet

It's 2009, pops. If we go by what happened in 08, you will get owned by the lakers again.

I can live with that:)

Ghazi
Game 1 89-85 Lakers
Game 2 101-71 Lakers
Game 3 103-84 Spurs
Game 4 93-91 Lakers
Game 5 100-92 Lakers

The games from last year's WCF. The Lakers didn't steamrolled the Spurs. Three close games and a blowout from each team...sorry that argument doesn't work.

And, Manu was injured in that series, I will give the Lakers credit...because they won the series fair and square. But to post that the Spurs were steamrolled is a big overstatement.

And the Spurs will be the main competition for the Lakers along with Rockets for the WC.

They will be ready by the end of the season. The Spurs do have production off the bench with Mason, Bonner, and Hill and the Phoenix game showed if you double one of big 3...they have someone else who can hit shots!

I agree that "steamroll" is not the proper term here. The Lakers only steamrolled them in game 2 but the other 3 losses were down to the wire and extremely competitive.

Sometimes a 4-3 series like Boston-Atlanta can be more lopsided than a 4-1 series, like San Antonio-LA.

The Jazz series last year every game between the teams was competitive as well.

DrHouse
12-28-2008, 12:24 AM
IMHO the Spurs are not the biggest threat to the Lakers in the WC. We've seen all there is to see from that team barring a trade, they are not a threat. Too much reliance on 3pt shooting and a weak bench. Manu/Parker/Duncan aren't as good as they used to be. Phil Jackson knows Pop inside and out.

It's the Rockets that worry me a little because if they can stay healthy and gain chemistry with one another (while adding Mutombo) they will have the size and depth to compete with the Lakers.

Warlord23
12-28-2008, 12:24 AM
All these December predictions don't take into account midseason trades, FA signings, injuries, peaking at the right time, experience, playoff matchups etc.

Just to give an example: Last season the Lakers got there only because of the Gasol trade (a midseason change). Also, last season the Lakers had the easiest path to the playoffs with Denver and Utah (neither has swingmen capable of guarding Kobe). The Spurs drew the Suns and the Hornets (both bad matchups). The Spurs got into the WCF game 1 after a bruising 7-gamer and were stuck in an airplane all night before they got into LA. That played a big part in running out of gas and blowing a 20 point lead in game 1 - and the series was never the same again. Add to this the fact that Manu was not healthy.

At that point LA looked like a favorite, since Boston had taken 7 games apiece to dispose of the Hawks and the Cavs (both bad matchups). But when it came down to it, the Celtics looked far and away the better team. Again, the matchups played a big role.

Who knows what will happen this season? What if the Spurs add a couple of key pieces? What if the Spurs avoid both the Suns and Hornets before meeting the Lakers? Certainly Bynum and Ariza haven't changed the game, since Walton is getting meaningful minutes and Bynum is riding the bench in the 4th. What if Manu is as good as he was in the 2005 playoffs?

The Lakers are certainly the favorites. But I'll wait till the playoffs actually play out till announcing any team's coronation or demise.

DrHouse
12-28-2008, 12:26 AM
Who do the Spurs have that they can trade to gain a major piece? That's right, nothing.

If anything the Lakers have one of the most valuable trading chips in Odom's expiring contract.

Warlord23
12-28-2008, 12:31 AM
They don't need it to happen via a trade. What if (although improbable), Joe Smith and Mutombo both want to come to SA?

Also, nobody can predict how injuries will affect any contending team.

I have been through 4 Spur titles, and you know what - they were probably the favorite to win only one of them (2005 - although a lot of people favored a Piston repeat, and several were drinking the Phoenix kool-aid). In 1999, the Jazz were the top dog; in 2003 it was the Lakers, in 2007 it was the Mavericks.

Conversely, in 2004 and 2006, the Spurs were favored to repeat but didn't get it done. So there's many a slip between the cup and the lip, and I'll wait it out.

MarHill
12-28-2008, 12:33 AM
IMHO the Spurs are not the biggest threat to the Lakers in the WC. We've seen all there is to see from that team barring a trade, they are not a threat. Too much reliance on 3pt shooting and a weak bench. Manu/Parker/Duncan aren't as good as they used to be. Phil Jackson knows Pop inside and out.

It's the Rockets that worry me a little because if they can stay healthy and gain chemistry with one another (while adding Mutombo) they will have the size and depth to compete with the Lakers.

To say the Spurs arent a legitmate threat to the Lakers just doesn't make any sense.

The Spurs are the same team who just played in the WC(it was competitive series) last year and almost had a shot to go back-to-back.

Also, the Spurs had two of the big 3 out for the month of November and started 0-3 and now are 20-10. And, they have developed Mason, Hill, and Bonner to add depth from the bench.

And if everyone stays healthy...they will be right there.

You can debate they won't win the NBA title this year....that is fair. But to post they aren't a legitimate contender in Western Conference is flat out wrong.

Remember they are still the last Western Conference team to have a win a title (3 titles) since 2003 and they have averaged 56 wins a season in that time.

xtremesteven33
12-28-2008, 12:34 AM
All these December predictions don't take into account midseason trades, FA signings, injuries, peaking at the right time, experience, playoff matchups etc.

Just to give an example: Last season the Lakers got there only because of the Gasol trade (a midseason change). Also, last season the Lakers had the easiest path to the playoffs with Denver and Utah (neither has swingmen capable of guarding Kobe). The Spurs drew the Suns and the Hornets (both bad matchups). The Spurs got into the WCF game 1 after a bruising 7-gamer and were stuck in an airplane all night before they got into LA. That played a big part in running out of gas and blowing a 20 point lead in game 1 - and the series was never the same again. Add to this the fact that Manu was not healthy.

At that point LA looked like a favorite, since Boston had taken 7 games apiece to dispose of the Hawks and the Cavs (both bad matchups). But when it came down to it, the Celtics looked far and away the better team. Again, the matchups played a big role.

Who knows what will happen this season? What if the Spurs add a couple of key pieces? What if the Spurs avoid both the Suns and Hornets before meeting the Lakers? Certainly Bynum and Ariza haven't changed the game, since Walton is getting meaningful minutes and Bynum is riding the bench in the 4th. What if Manu is as good as he was in the 2005 playoffs?

The Lakers are certainly the favorites. But I'll wait till the playoffs actually play out till announcing any team's coronation or demise.

:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:t oast:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:toa st:toast:toast:toast:toast:

Findog
12-28-2008, 12:37 AM
The race for #2 is wide open

Matchman
12-28-2008, 12:42 AM
wow im surprised so many of the lakers fans put the Rockets as the only threat in the west.:toast
although we still need mount mutombo to match with the lakers front court... can les stop being cheap and go over the luxury tax for once to put together a championship calinber team :ihit

SpursDynasty
12-28-2008, 12:42 AM

2008 Playoffs.

cobbler
12-28-2008, 12:43 AM

Well said. I for one would never count the Spurs out. Pop knows how to get a team ready at the right time. Injuries, trades, and matchups all play huge rolls. No doubt our Lakers are the team to beat... but we were also the team to beat in 2004 and the Pistons almost swept us. It's foolish to think any team is going to just waltz to the title. However, I like our chances in a 7 game series with our depth and versatility.

Lp26
12-28-2008, 12:46 AM
The Rockets will never be a threat to anyone until they learn how to stop choking in the 4th quarter.

MarHill
12-28-2008, 12:47 AM
Well said. I for one would never count the Spurs out. Pop knows how to get a team ready at the right time. Injuries, trades, and matchups all play huge rolls. No doubt our Lakers are the team to beat... but we were also the team to beat in 2004 and the Pistons almost swept us. It's foolish to think any team is going to just waltz to the title. However, I like our chances in a 7 game series with our depth and versatility.

Cobbler,

That's a fair analysis!

But to have some people post that the Spurs aren't a contender to the Lakers in the west....is just wrong!!!

I still like the Spurs chances this year to get back to the finals and the game against Phoenix showed they have someone else to get the ball to in crunch time if teams double Tony or Manu on the wing!!!

SmellyFeet
12-28-2008, 12:50 AM
2008 Playoffs.

Lakers 4
Spurs 1?

I agree.

cobbler
12-28-2008, 12:52 AM
Cobbler,

That's a fair analysis!

But to have some people post that the Spurs aren't a contender to the Lakers in the west....is just wrong!!!

I still like the Spurs chances this year to get back to the finals and the game against Phoenix showed they have someone else to get the ball to in crunch time if teams double Tony or Manu on the wing!!!

I have no doubts you we be in the hunt come playoff time... but i wouldn't use a victory over the Suns as any kind of reference. They are done... and you own them anyway.

TheMACHINE
12-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Cobbler,

That's a fair analysis!

plus its an odd year.

MarHill
12-28-2008, 12:56 AM
I have no doubts you we be in the hunt come playoff time... but i wouldn't use a victory over the Suns as any kind of reference. They are done... and you own them anyway.

No..that's true about PHX.

But they are a good basketball team..not great.

Also, that game for me showed the big 3 can trust someone else to hit big shots in crunch time beside themselves.

And playoff games will be close and Spurs need more options beside the Big 3 against good teams!!

Warlord23
12-28-2008, 01:23 AM
No, he's right. Using Phoenix as a measuring stick would be a mistake.

At this point, I wouldn't put money on the Spurs returning to the WCF, much less getting out of the West. Manu clearly is either hurting or rusty, and not back to 100%. We're asking too much out of Timmy and TP, when we should be looking to get Timmy as much rest as he can get. Our defense is not as good as it was last year; Bonner has been inconsistent, and our frontcourt outside of Timmy is still a big weakness.

We need another impact big. I am hoping Ian can finally make the leap this year, or we sign a veteran who still has something left in the tank.

xtremesteven33
12-28-2008, 01:23 AM
If the playoffs started today:

Lakers win in 6

Too bad they dont start in December.

END THREAD.

DrHouse
12-28-2008, 03:00 AM
If the playoffs started today the Lakers win in 4-5 games and the series isn't even close.

If you think your Spurs team is playing anywhere near the level of a BOS or CLE you are sorely mistaken.

It's LAL, BOS, CLE..............and then a sizeable drop to the rest of the league.

Chieflion
12-28-2008, 03:08 AM
You got your top three wrong dude. Cleveland is playing the best ball. Lakers, Celtics and Magic are arguably tied 2nd. Followed by the Spurs, Hornets and Hawks.

lefty
12-28-2008, 03:12 AM

:lmao

MarHill
12-28-2008, 10:11 AM

At this point, I wouldn't put money on the Spurs returning to the WCF, much less getting out of the West. Manu clearly is either hurting or rusty, and not back to 100%. We're asking too much out of Timmy and TP, when we should be looking to get Timmy as much rest as he can get. Our defense is not as good as it was last year; Bonner has been inconsistent, and our frontcourt outside of Timmy is still a big weakness.

We need another impact big. I am hoping Ian can finally make the leap this year, or we sign a veteran who still has something left in the tank.

It amazes me that people still don't get the resourcefulness and championship resolve this team has.

To automatically dismiss them from the WCF......is just wrong. Period.

I can post all their stats from the past 5 years and the fact they have 20 wins after 30 games when starting 0-3.

Go ahead and dismiss them...at your peril.

Wow....I guess this team will have to prove why they have been the best team in the basketball in the last 5 years.

And the argument that the playoffs started today...doesn't hold water because they have to play an 82 game season. The season is used to get themselves better and ready for the playoffs.

And I will put my money on the original Big 3 who are savvy enough and hungry enough to want another championship.

I can accept an honest debate whether they will win a NBA title..that's fair! But to stay that aren't a threat to the Lakers in Western Conference....is flat-out wrong. Outside of injuries....they will be right there.

They were 21-9 after 30 games last year and are only a game back of the pace right now. Again I can post all of their stats to prove my case....

But the season will play out and the team every wants to dismiss will be there right again!!

Absolutely Amazing!!!

Killakobe81
12-28-2008, 12:59 PM
I agree with the above SPurs will not go down easy Mason hell of a pickup ...only doubt is Manu gonna be healthy he looks to be still laboring ...if he is I take SPurs over everyone except Lakers i would guess it would be Lakers in 7 ...

Killakobe81
12-28-2008, 01:05 PM

My point EXACTLY ....Spurs need Manu MAson helps offset him looking less than Super MAnu ...but come playoff time I would rather Mason be forced to make plays than MAnu ...

z0sa
12-28-2008, 01:29 PM
DrHouse just wants assurance. Only reason this thread exists.

The reality is, Spurs and LA are destined for another matchup in this playoffs. LA fans write off everyone, its nothing new, but we all know Spurs will still be right there in the very end. Writing them off is mere foolishness.

DrHouse
12-28-2008, 01:55 PM
I don't think the Spurs make it past a fully healthy Hornet or Jazz team this season.

I'm just not impressed with their bench and the Big 3 is looking less and less dominant as each year goes by. I saw Duncan get his shit rejected thrice by freaking Marc Gasol, that would never happen to the Duncan of old. Manu is just jacking up random 3's at will and making careless turnovers. Parker is the only one of the Big 3 who seems to be as good as ever and that's because he's under 30.

As for the rest......Bonner, Mason, Hill, Udoka, etc. Forget it, that cast of characters is never going to win a championship over a fully healthy BOS, CLE, and LAL team. Until the Spurs show me that they can consistently beat the best teams in the NBA instead of beating the lowly .500 teams I'm not going to even take notice.

MarHill
12-28-2008, 02:09 PM
I don't think the Spurs make it past a fully healthy Hornet or Jazz team this season.

I'm just not impressed with their bench and the Big 3 is looking less and less dominant as each year goes by. I saw Duncan get his shit rejected thrice by freaking Marc Gasol, that would never happen to the Duncan of old. Manu is just jacking up random 3's at will and making careless turnovers. Parker is the only one of the Big 3 who seems to be as good as ever and that's because he's under 30.

As for the rest......Bonner, Mason, Hill, Udoka, etc. Forget it, that cast of characters is never going to win a championship over a fully healthy BOS, CLE, and LAL team. Until the Spurs show me that they can consistently beat the best teams in the NBA instead of beating the lowly .500 teams I'm not going to even take notice.

Whatever dude!!

You just showed you don't really watch basketball! Sorry I have to write that!

And to post that Duncan got his shot blocked by Gasol in a competitve game...is ridiculous. It can happen to anybody and the other team does have professional ball players.

We will see...as the season goes along.

But to make a premature judgment on a team that has won as much as the Spurs is silly at best.

Have a great day!!!

MarHill
12-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Even if they play the Lakers???

Yes...even the Lakers!

I have posted on this forum the games in last year's WCF and how competitive they were.

Go ahead....like the rest of the Lakers fans and count out the Spurs. I want an objective argument....not one based my dislike of a team. I don't like the Lakers but it would foolish of me to post that this team is one of the best in the league and a favorite to come out of the west.

But to dismiss the Spurs like their yesterday news...even though they have averaged 58 wins in the last 6 seasons and won three titles in that time period and are on pace to win 53 games this season. Its just silly!!!!

We will see at the end of season......(barring injuries)

DrHouse
12-28-2008, 02:16 PM
The Spurs have not yet shown they can even beat the good teams in this league.

Losing to NOH and ORL. Barely squeaking by the Suns. Tell me why I should be afraid of this team? The Lakers dispatched them in 5 last year without Bynum or Ariza....it's simply not even going to be close if they face again this year.

de Soto
12-28-2008, 02:55 PM
What are they doing there?

YellowFever
12-28-2008, 03:31 PM
The spurs have a habit of cruising through some parts of the regular season and then jacking up the pressure as the play-off nears.

Age seem to catch up to them a bit in the past season and they are no where near the top in physical or talent terms but purely on mental/experience level, they are still the best.

I don't think that will be enough for them to get past the hump this year and right now (December) the Lakers will probably take them in 5.....6 the most.

Still alot of Basketbasll to be played.
As someone said, bump this thread around the time the play-offs come.

MarHill
12-28-2008, 03:32 PM

Losing to NOH and ORL. Barely squeaking by the Suns. Tell me why I should be afraid of this team? The Lakers dispatched them in 5 last year without Bynum or Ariza....it's simply not even going to be close if they face again this year.

Again you are resorting to revisionist history.

First, last year's WCF was very competitive and Manu was hurt for the Spurs as well.

Game 1 89-85 Lakers
Game 2 101-71 Lakers
Game 3 103-84 Spurs
Game 4 93-91 Lakers
Game 5 100-92 Lakers

Three close games and a blowout on each side....a competitive series even though it was 5 games.

I will give you the argument that the Lakers were without Bynum and Ariza but Manu seriously hurt and affected that series.

Now, the Spurs have 6-9 record against teams with above .500. The Phoenix, Dallas, Denver, and Miami games were without Tony or Manu. Also, they beat Houston without Tony and Manu and were down double-digits in the fourth quarter.

Lastly, they went on the road and beat Denver decisively, Dallas in 2OT, and Phoenix on Christmas Day. Those are good teams...not great teams but good wins nevertheless. Also, I could criticize the Lakers losing to Sacramento and Miami but those things happen in an 82 game season. So I expect the same latitude to the Spurs.

And the Spurs haven't played the Lakers, Cavs, and Celtics yet in their schedule.

So again you are using a premature analysis..to judge a team that has been the most consistent and successful team in basketball in the last 5 years.

SpursDynasty
12-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Game 1 89-85 Lakers
Game 2 101-71 Lakers
Game 3 103-84 Spurs
Game 4 93-91 Lakers
Game 5 100-92 Lakers

We also blew a 20-pt. lead in Game 1 and a 17-pt. lead in Game 5, not to mention the NBA-acknowledged missed series-altering call in Game 4.

Doesn't change who won the series, but it just shows how lucky the Lakers got, and that their losing in the Finals was no mistake.

SpursDynasty
12-28-2008, 03:58 PM

Since when do regular season match ups hold more value than beating both of those teams in the playoffs last year? We already put away Chris Paul, Amare, Nash, and Shaq in the playoffs last year. How the hell does a regular season match up matter now?

Bynum and Ariza are irrelevant.

DrHouse
12-28-2008, 04:49 PM
You can rationalize your loss to the Lakers last season all you want, but you still lost 4-1. The better team always wins a 7 game series. The Jazz put up a better fight than the Spurs and were more of a threat last season. And basketball is a game of runs so the fact that the Spurs were up double digits is meaningless.

I'm simply not convinced that the Spurs got any better than they did last season. Big 3 are not as good and I doubt that the rookie Hill, Bonner, Udoka, and Mason can make the same kind of impact guys like Barry and Horry did when they were playing for the Spurs. You replaced veterans with playoff virgins, that never works out. You know why BOS's bench is struggling now....it's because they lost two vets in PJ Brown and James Posey. You can't rely on a young bench to win games agains the elite teams.

z0sa
12-28-2008, 05:05 PM
You can rationalize your loss to the Lakers last season all you want, but you still lost 4-1. In this case, the rested, healthy team always wins a 7 game WCF series.

FIFY

And basketball is a game of runs so the fact that the Spurs were up double digits is meaningless.

:rollin 20 and 17 are leads a rested team keeps.

I'm simply not convinced that the Spurs got any better than they did last season.

George Hill and Mason Jr say hi.

Big 3 are not as good and I doubt that the rookie Hill, Bonner, Udoka, and Mason can make the same kind of impact guys like Barry and Horry did when they were playing for the Spurs.

Barry and Horry? :lmao:toast on a good joke

What Mason Jr, Bonner, Hill, and Udoka already do this season is much much more than Horry and Barry did at any point as spurs. The only thing Horry ever did was make clutch plays. He rarely had a game where he contributed anything. Barry did essentially nothing during last season due to injuries and lack of PT, and his defense was always atrocious.

Horry was a dinosaur passing up shots. Bonner will be shooting those and nailing them, and he'll be drawing Gasol out of the paint. No big men double teams on Tim, he'll be picking LA apart with his passing.

Udoka has a way of coming in and changing the game with key steals and rebounds, even penetration. Last season's series against NO proved he has the ability to play a role in smallball lineups.

Mason Jr is a breath of fresh air to our offense. This guy will be the difference between last season's Game 1 WCF drought and this season's extension of a lead. His offense comes in spurts but if he gets open for a shot, its money, and his faking/inbetween game is impeccable. He's pretty athletic as well.

George Hill has been the steal of the draft (unless you want to call Mayo getting traded for Love a steal). His very tenacious on D, has high BB iq, and is great at getting to the paint. He has a reliable jumpshots so you can't leave him like Vaughn.

And the whole thing about the big 3 not being as good, fool its December. Bump this shit in April when they're healthy and firing on all cylinders. Everything seems to forget we had to survive a month without two of our big 3 and they're still rounding in to game shape even now.

Besides,Tim Duncan will dominate any bigman LA throws at him and that's why the double teams will be coming. if we nail shots, LA doesn't stand a chance. Their interior D is far too weak to control Tim 1on1.

MarHill
12-28-2008, 05:26 PM
You can rationalize your loss to the Lakers last season all you want, but you still lost 4-1. The better team always wins a 7 game series. The Jazz put up a better fight than the Spurs and were more of a threat last season. And basketball is a game of runs so the fact that the Spurs were up double digits is meaningless.

I'm simply not convinced that the Spurs got any better than they did last season. Big 3 are not as good and I doubt that the rookie Hill, Bonner, Udoka, and Mason can make the same kind of impact guys like Barry and Horry did when they were playing for the Spurs. You replaced veterans with playoff virgins, that never works out. You know why BOS's bench is struggling now....it's because they lost two vets in PJ Brown and James Posey. You can't rely on a young bench to win games agains the elite teams.

Also, it has nothing to do with rationalizing. I gave the Lakers credit for winning the series. But you made earlier point that Bynum and Ariza were out and I countered with the fact that Manu was hurt and that affected the series.

I don't know why you keep putting up the Jazz...when the Spurs soundly beat them in 2007 playoffs and would beat now...even if the series started today.

I'm okay that you are not convinced about the Spurs. My argument has been you dismissed them as a legitimate threat in the Western Conference.

That part of your argument doesn't make any sense.

Also, you have brought up the point about the Celts bench and that clearly was the problem for the Lakers in the finals last year. The Lakers didnt have any veteran leadership outside of Kobe and Fisher. And that is still the issue this year. Moreover with the development of Mason, Hill, and Bonner will help the veteran presence (Thomas, Bowen, and Finley) off the bench be ready for the playoffs.

All of this will be settled as the season goes along....but to dismiss three-time champions in the last six years is just a lack of respect.

SpursDynasty
12-28-2008, 05:27 PM
I think what really matters is not who wins the W.C., but who wins the championship. In that case, the Lakers become irrelevant, it's really about who can challenge Boston. Boston won the Finals last year, no surprises, they were just beating a team they were supposed to beat.

timaios
12-28-2008, 05:41 PM
:blah:blah:blah:blah:blah:blah:blah:blah:blah

Reck
12-28-2008, 05:46 PM
I think what really matters is not who wins the W.C., but who wins the championship. In that case, the Lakers become irrelevant, it's really about who can challenge Boston. Boston won the Finals last year, no surprises, they were just beating a team they were supposed to beat.

SD gets it. :toast

DrHouse
12-28-2008, 07:00 PM
When you're agreeing with SD you might want to reconsider your position.

Reck
12-28-2008, 07:17 PM
When you're agreeing with SD you might want to reconsider your position.

So coming out on top of the WC guarantees you a championship? Why then dont the Lakers have 2 more titles by now?

He's right that Boston is the main dogs despite what some dellusional Lakers fans think.

Allanon
12-28-2008, 09:06 PM
So coming out on top of the WC guarantees you a championship? Why then dont the Lakers have 2 more titles by now?

He's right that Boston is the main dogs despite what some dellusional Lakers fans think.

The Lakers will easily ... never mind, your sig distracted me...mesmerizing.

Ditty
12-28-2008, 09:58 PM

i think we did that last year

if yall go through the hornets and played us after a grueling 7 game series i think we would of swept yall we were kicking yalls ass in la in 2 of the games before kobe stopped thinking of the white girls that were looking at him from the stands :cheer with shooters now if u didnt see the game on sunday agaist phoneix who will play the spurs in 2009 nba finals

Chieflion
12-28-2008, 10:56 PM
No one can stop the Lakers, they are almighty.

Seriously, that is bullshit. Lakers' defense still sucks. Early season showing of defense was just a tease. The Warriors have 58 points already.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-28-2008, 11:03 PM
If playoff series were 1 game then yes HOU would have a shot.

But in a best of 7 the better team always wins. HOU has not shown the cohesion and chemistry yet to indicate that they are an elite team.

It's not like the Lakers wrote the book on cohesion and chemistry coughOdomcoughBynumcough.

Battier is the one true Kobe stoppa, which makes Houston a threat to beat them. If T-Mac is 100% healthy w/ Yao Artest and Battier, Houston will be tough to beat, but LA would still have the edge IMO.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-28-2008, 11:08 PM

They have accomplished both in the last 2 years, and Boozer could very well be in MIA by March.

Posey helps SA, Mason, Hill, the emergence of Bonner, and the fact Pop won't piss two games away by putting Bowen on Paul cancels out the edge Posey gives them.

LakeShow
12-29-2008, 06:49 AM
IF healthy the Lakers have no challenge in the Western Conference. Their challenge comes from the Eastern conference. No disrespect to the other teams in the west but it is, what it is!

What we are seeing is history repeating itself back to the eighties. In the 80's it was Boston/East Rep. vs. LA. It was the showtime Lakers losing to the Celtics and being manhandled in the championship. It was the 85 Lakers redeeming themselves defeating the Celtics 4-2. That team blitzed the WC with a record of 11-2. I see this seasons lakers doing similiar, 12-2 or 12-3 in the WC Playoffs and beat the Celtics 4-2 in the finals.

OT:
GMAB with that tired, weak, pathetic excuse that Gino was hurt. Injuries are part of the game. The Lakers had injuries to deal with themselves.

'Lakers guard Derek Fisher has sustained a partial tear of a tendon in his right foot, an injury that typically requires six to eight weeks of rest, but he will try to play through it.

"When the doctors told me recovery from a procedure could be 12 weeks, I just decided now was not the time to have surgery," Bryant said on the website kb24.com.
Bynum Out for 08-09 Season

Trevor Ariza made his return on Friday night, in the Lakers' 101-71 win over the San Antonio Spurs in Game 2 of the Western Conference Finals. He broke his foot on Jan. 20, and the healing process has taken longer then expected."

That's 4-1, just like the series final tally.

Out of respect for the Spurs for what they once were (elite) I give them a game against a healthy Lakers team in the playoffs, with that one game being very generous.

Lakers_55
12-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Threads like this at this stage of the season are dumb. If it was posted on a Lakers site, you would see a few hundred replies of "No one!". Posting it on a site of another team will just generate hostility.

What's more interesting is how the playoffs will be seeded. The biggest rival to the Lakers will be the Spurs, and right now, they won't meet until the WCF. If a team can pass both in the standings, then maybe LA and SA meet in the WCSF.

phyzik
12-29-2008, 09:44 AM
This could be an epic thread bump come January-February.

Laker Fan premature ejaculation forum.

sonic21
12-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Out of respect for the Spurs for what they once were (elite) I give them a game against a healthy Lakers team in the playoffs, with that one game being very generous.

1- the spurs are better than last year
2- maybe the lakers are better than last year, but i'm not convinced yet.
3- they haven't met this season.

please explain why the lakers will easily win :wakeup

MarHill
12-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Threads like this at this stage of the season are dumb. If it was posted on a Lakers site, you would see a few hundred replies of "No one!". Posting it on a site of another team will just generate hostility.

What's more interesting is how the playoffs will be seeded. The biggest rival to the Lakers will be the Spurs, and right now, they won't meet until the WCF. If a team can pass both in the standings, then maybe LA and SA meet in the WCSF.

You are right!

But I want at least some objective analysis from both sides.

I'm a Spurs fan but it would stupid of me to post that the Lakers don't have a chance to win it all. Regardless of my hatred of that team!

The Lakers deserved that respect..they were the Western Conference Champions last season.

Also, I want the same respect for the Spurs and I have posted throughout this thread the factual reasons why. But to have Laker fans posted that the Spurs have no chance to compete with the Lakers for the Western Conference...they are not looking at it objectively.

And that just wrong!!

z0sa
12-29-2008, 11:40 AM
A rested TP9 is going to dominate Fisher/Farmar, LA unable to control tempo.

Bowen still the most physical perimeter defender in the NBA.

Tim Duncan was triple teamed at times last season, that will be much harder to do with energy guys like Hill and Mason Jr.

No one is even saying spurs win, but in reality, LA is not going to cakewalk to the Finals again. I doubt LA faces any squad as weak as last year's Denver, and the Jazz just aren't strong mentally despite beating you up physically.

xtremesteven33
12-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Thank God its only December. Not even halfway thru the season yet.

Bynum has yet to prove he can stay fully healthy for a whole season as well.

Ghazi
12-29-2008, 12:11 PM
1- the spurs are better than last year
2- maybe the lakers are better than last year, but i'm not convinced yet.
3- they haven't met this season.

please explain why the lakers will easily won :wakeup

From a personell standpoint, Ariza/Bynum are bigger upgrades than Mason/Hill and giving Bonner more burn.

z0sa
12-29-2008, 12:17 PM
From a personell standpoint, Ariza/Bynum are bigger upgrades than Mason/Hill and giving Bonner more burn.

Bynum isn't very good. Tim will dominate him 1on1. LA still doubling Tim? Then our current gameplan is still going to work.

JoeTait75
12-29-2008, 12:45 PM

Dude, you are BI-POLAR.

The_Game
12-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Bynum isn't very good. Tim will dominate him 1on1. LA still doubling Tim? Then our current gameplan is still going to work.

Yes he is moron

Bynum brings interior defense, rebounding, shot blocking and a guy who can score inside picking up the garbage points. Tim Duncan is going to have a TERRIBLE time having to go up against two and maybe three 7 footers...they are going to wear him down in the paint. Bynum makes teams adjust what shots they take in the paint..to say he isn't very good shows how little you know about basketball.

Lakers don't need to double team Tim Duncan he isn't good enough to go for 30 every night in the playoffs anymore. He will have big games but won't do it everytime....the spurs are going to need role players to play out of their minds just to take the lakers to 6 games.

pauls931
12-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Yes he is moron

Bynum brings interior defense, rebounding, shot blocking and a guy who can score inside picking up the garbage points. Tim Duncan is going to have a TERRIBLE time having to go up against two and maybe three 7 footers...they are going to wear him down in the paint. Bynum makes teams adjust what shots they take in the paint..to say he isn't very good shows how little you know about basketball.

Lakers don't need to double team Tim Duncan he isn't good enough to go for 30 every night in the playoffs anymore. He will have big games but won't do it everytime....the spurs are going to need role players to play out of their minds just to take the lakers to 6 games.

You have your favorite team set incorrectly.

DrHouse
12-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Actually Bynum's length should give Tim Duncan quite a few problems. He's one of the best post defending centers in the league thus far.

Phil Jackson has essentially figured out Pop's system. He knows how to beat it and he's done it 4 different times in the last decade. With the talent difference between LAL and SAS being what it is I just don't see how the Spurs could hang in a 7 game series.

If you couldn't beat LAL without Bynum or Ariza what the fuck makes you think you can now? Bonner, Hill, Mason.....I'd rather have playoff Horry and Barry of a few years ago on my team. It's going to be the same old song and dance, Spurs need all of their Big 3 to score 20+ ppg otherwise they lose.

z0sa
12-29-2008, 01:58 PM
:sleep

The_Game, Bynum isn't very good. That's not even demeaning, because he isn't bad or even not that great. He's an average center. He's not going to be the end all be all of a LA vs SA series. He's not a great man nor help defender. He's young and being easily rattled already. I do not think he won't contribute.

He just isn't going to do very much against us.

Your basketball knowledge consists of fearing other teams. Why do you even watch the spurs if all they cause for you is grief?

Darrin
12-29-2008, 02:02 PM
I like the Nuggets.

DrHouse
12-29-2008, 02:06 PM
The Rockets I think will be there with the Lakers in the WCF when all is said and done. There is too much talent on that team for them to not make it IMHO.

Brazil
12-29-2008, 02:06 PM
I like the bigmac

z0sa
12-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Actually Bynum's length should give Tim Duncan quite a few problems. He's one of the best post defending centers in the league thus far.

Regular Season Tim and Playoff Tim are two different animals, first and foremost. Tim's not the KG type all intensity all the time. He turns it up another notch in the playoffs, its just a fact. Yet still, this year he looks about like 03 Tim, no joke. Tim is going to have a monstrous postseason and Bynum will not be able to handle him over a 7 game series (which is probably about how long this one will go).

Phil Jackson has essentially figured out Pop's system. He knows how to beat it and he's done it 4 different times in the last decade. With the talent difference between LAL and SAS being what it is I just don't see how the Spurs could hang in a 7 game series.

The Phoenix Suns of 05 were much better than many offensively. We beat the shit out of em. All your offense is going to go dry in the postseason, just like against Boston. That Spurs D wasn't there in the 08 WCF, we were too tired. If we're healthy and rested, you're going to be facing a beast much like Boston on the defensive end this time around.

If you couldn't beat LAL without Bynum or Ariza what the fuck makes you think you can now? Bonner, Hill, Mason.....I'd rather have playoff Horry and Barry of a few years ago on my team. It's going to be the same old song and dance, Spurs need all of their Big 3 to score 20+ ppg otherwise they lose.

Horry, yes. Barry? Mason Jr fits Barry's role to the T, and he's much younger/athletic, with the ability to be a beast on the defensive end. Mason Jr and Finley are going to be causing trouble. And George Hill is just great stuff. Very excited and I'm thinking he may go for 20+ a few games in the playoffs when he's getting to the paint and finishing well. Additionally, he sells calls and gets to the foul line a lot. Perhaps most importantly, he's also very long and quick on the defensive end. He blocks point guards at the rim, and draws charges. He has a deceptively good jumpshot, even from three and the inbetween game. He, Mason, Bonner, and Finley are all going to be reasons those scoring droughts (ie the reason LA won last PO) don't happen anymore.

If Ian comes through, add him into the foyer, especially defensively. And don't forget KT, who despite his age still has a strong showing to bring to the table.

DrHouse
12-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Newsflash.

The Spurs cannot beat the elite teams in the NBA right now.

Wake me up when they start doing that. Although I expect to hear the usual "Spurs don't try till March" response that most Spurs fans seem to give when they lose.

Lakers_55
12-29-2008, 02:15 PM
You are right!

But I want at least some objective analysis from both sides.

I'm a Spurs fan but it would stupid of me to post that the Lakers don't have a chance to win it all. Regardless of my hatred of that team!

The Lakers deserved that respect..they were the Western Conference Champions last season.

Also, I want the same respect for the Spurs and I have posted throughout this thread the factual reasons why. .
But to have Laker fans posted that the Spurs have no chance to compete with the Lakers for the Western Conference...they are not looking at it objectively
And that just wrong!!

Replying to what you say in bold...I think it has to do with the Laker fan mentality that what we did last year carries over to this year, automatically. Reality says it's a new series and anything can happen. Up to the eventual winner to make and prove their case. That's reality.

z0sa
12-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Wake me up when they start doing that. Although I expect to hear the usual "Spurs don't try till March" response that most Spurs fans seem to give when they lose.

Aside from Kobe, the 08-09 Lakers don't know jackshit about winning compared to the Spurs.

Pop and Phil are as neck and neck as you can be. Pop took a shit last season, but he was faced with a difficult decision. Michael Jordan played sick and feeling like dogshit, but he came through. Manu tried to drive on that ankle, and couldn't. Pop should have brought Brent Barry in, and didn't.

That's probably the biggest reason Barry's in Houston right now - he could have changed the momentum of that game as opposed to Manu being out there injured, but Pop refused to play him. Pop put his faith in Manu and Manu didn't come through for him. It's not really Manu fault. He did everything he could.

DrHouse
12-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Aside from Kobe, the 08-09 Lakers don't know jackshit about winning compared to the Spurs.

Wow Spur fan is completely delusional.

z0sa
12-29-2008, 02:33 PM

Wow Spur fan is completely delusional.

Alright, Derek Fisher and PJ know a few things. :rolleyes

How many of those players have rings? Now count the rings on a few of our roleplayers fingers.

DrHouse
12-29-2008, 02:37 PM
How many rings did KG, PP, and RA have before they won last season?

Experience matters. And the Lakers have more than enough.

MarHill
12-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Newsflash.

The Spurs cannot beat the elite teams in the NBA right now.

Who says that can't beat the elite teams in the NBA? That's absurd....when they're only 2 months into the season!!!!

They don't play Lakers until Jan 14th, They don't play Celts until Feb 8th, and they play the Cavs until Feb 27th!!

Yikes!!!!

They have averaged over 58 wins over the last six seasons and won three titles and reached at least the 2nd round of playoffs in the years they didn't win the title.

So wait until March is a true statement....the Spurs fans have facts behind that statement!!

Absolutely Amazing!!

Lakers_55
12-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Hey, DrHouse. Kobe and Derek have 3 rings, and Phil has 9. The whole team knows what it's like to get to the finals. If we get there again, we can win it...Kobe doesn't need Shaq to get a title. Gasol+Bynum+Odom+rest of rotation > Shaq and any old rotation we had.

However, it's too early to crown us. We were doing that when we were 7-0. Now we beat the Celtics and Laker fans are doing it again.

Barring injuries or a killer key mid-season acquisition by our western competition, we will be favored to represent the west again. Yes, we have the best team in the west. That's something we have to prove come playoff time. It's something any team must prove every season, that they are the best. Until the playoffs, we are just one of the favorites. True we have a great shot, but the rules say: playoffs! Champions aren't crowned on paper. If we talk smack, we eat plenty of crow if things don't work out a we wish.

Just relax and enjoy the good people on this board. Not everyone is a Laker fan here. They are fellow basketball fans who happen to prefer other teams.

xtremesteven33
12-29-2008, 02:52 PM
nobodys panicing just yet. Theyre just doubting this teams ability to win a championship with what they currently have. Which is believable. I dont think they can beat this lakers team with this current squad right now.

They need some MINOR changes. Like a Big and a athletic 3.

DrHouse
12-29-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm not crowning the Lakers at all.

I'm just saying the Spurs are simply not going to be a major threat this season. I stand by that and nothing I've seen from the Spurs thus far scares me in the slightest. Our front court will dominate them.

It's the Celtics and Cavs that worry me the most.

MarHill
12-29-2008, 02:58 PM
nobodys panicing just yet. Theyre just doubting this teams ability to win a championship with what they currently have. Which is believable. I dont think they can beat this lakers team with this current squad right now.

They need some MINOR changes. Like a Big and a athletic 3.

I understand that and that is a fair analysis.

But to post the Spurs have no shot...is just silly! I'm sorry!

I have posted the history throughout this thread and they are on the pace to win 53 or 54 games again this season. Also.....last year's playoffs should have prove how experience and savvy can win you a series or two.

I don't they need a big or athletic 3......especially if the offense plays well which means that Mason and Finley have to score. That was the big problem in the Lakers series (even though Barry did play well in games 3 & 4)....they had no else to score when Manu (outside Tim and Tony) went down.

Lakers_55
12-29-2008, 02:58 PM

I'm just saying the Spurs are simply not going to be a major threat this season. I stand by that and nothing I've seen from the Spurs thus far scares me in the slightest. Our front court will dominate them.

well, the topic is who will challenge the Lakers in the west. Cavs and Celtics play in the east. Most feel the Spurs are the Lakers biggest competition, so when you say they have no chance, you are crowning the Lakers western champs. I, too, believe we are better than the Spurs but damnit, we have to prove it! If they beat us in the playoffs, they are better.

MarHill
12-29-2008, 03:00 PM

Bynum hasn't done anything special yet this season. He's been average at best. Gasol has played well and did show some toughness in the game against the Celts.

But Tim has his way Gasol last year and Bynum isn't that a big of difference yet!

GetNashty
12-29-2008, 03:01 PM

How is your front court going to dominate anyone? I'm sorry, but Bynum is completely worthless and can't stay on the floor against legit big men, and Pau Gasol is a soft piece of trash.

Beware of teams with good front courts. Lakers don't beat any team with their starting 5, it's all that bench. The bench and only the bench are better than most teams 2nd units. The Starting 5 for the Lakers is worse than the starting 5 for nearly every other playoff team in the West.

Allanon
12-29-2008, 03:13 PM
I think January 14th will be a very telling game for the Lakers/Spurs.

z0sa
12-29-2008, 03:20 PM
I think January 14th will be a very telling game for the Lakers/Spurs.

I'll be at the game, in the nosebleeds but oh well :toast

z0sa
12-29-2008, 03:30 PM

If the Cavs and Celtics worry you the most, why'd you make a thread like this? For self-assurance, nothing more. Maybe deep down inside you do really know the Spurs could rip your heart out once more. I have faith they're going to do just that (if NO doesn't do it first).

The thing is, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I could say this, you could say that forever, and neither one of us will change our minds about the situation. I don't see us switching around our favorite teams either, so it is what it is.

This is still going to be the main WC rivalry for a couple more years, health permitting.

Allanon
12-29-2008, 03:31 PM
I'll be at the game, in the nosebleeds but oh well :toast

Hell yeah....Nosebleeds or not, you have some enviable tickets. That place should be rocking that game. I hope both teams give it their best :toast

Kobe™
12-29-2008, 04:28 PM
The West??????
HA
No challenges there.

DrHouse
12-29-2008, 04:29 PM
It's not the Lakers that need to prove they can beat the Spurs. They already did that last season and have done so 3 other times this decade.

It's the Spurs that need to prove they can beat the Lakers.

Reck
12-29-2008, 04:35 PM
DrHouse is really making a fool of himself right now.

See you in this thread again soon buddy.

z0sa
12-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Hell yeah....Nosebleeds or not, you have some enviable tickets. That place should be rocking that game. I hope both teams give it their best :toast

I couldn't pass up Spurs/Lakers first matchup this season. We'll see how the new guys do.

mytespurs
12-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Hey, DrHouse. Kobe and Derek have 3 rings, and Phil has 9. The whole team knows what it's like to get to the finals. If we get there again, we can win it...Kobe doesn't need Shaq to get a title. Gasol+Bynum+Odom+rest of rotation > Shaq and any old rotation we had.

However, it's too early to crown us. We were doing that when we were 7-0. Now we beat the Celtics and Laker fans are doing it again.

Barring injuries or a killer key mid-season acquisition by our western competition, we will be favored to represent the west again. Yes, we have the best team in the west. That's something we have to prove come playoff time. It's something any team must prove every season, that they are the best. Until the playoffs, we are just one of the favorites. True we have a great shot, but the rules say: playoffs! Champions aren't crowned on paper. If we talk smack, we eat plenty of crow if things don't work out a we wish.

Just relax and enjoy the good people on this board. Not everyone is a Laker fan here. They are fellow basketball fans who happen to prefer other teams.

As a LA resident and non Laker fan, thanks for the objective POV. Imho, the Lakers are the best team in the West and I expect, barring any major injury, that they will represent the West in the finals however they aren't a lock...anything can happen...it's a long season. :hat

mytespurs
12-29-2008, 06:27 PM

I would agree at this point the Spurs are an older team and perhaps not as potent offensively & defensivelyn as the Lakers, Celtics or Cavs but I wouldn't underestimate them......major threat or not.....they're a 4 time NBA champion in this decade...not exactly mush. :hat

Chieflion
12-29-2008, 09:10 PM
I would agree at this point the Spurs are an older team and perhaps not as potent offensively & defensivelyn as the Lakers, Celtics or Cavs but I wouldn't underestimate them......major threat or not.....they're a 4 time NBA champion past ten years...not exactly mush. :hat

Helped you fixed it.

By the way, DrHouse, you said chalenge, you didn't say defeat them. Well, the Hornets are a challenge, the Spurs, Rockets(if they are healthy which is like never) or even the Suns/Blazers/Jazz. So if the Lakers think the Western Conference championship is going to come on a silver platter to them, they are wrong. They are not going to come out of the Western Conference without a tough fight.

Brazil
12-29-2008, 09:38 PM

:toast Lakers 55 is one of the best poster of ST. I don't like the laker fans but you have all my respect.

Armando
12-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Tough to say because apart from the Lakers every other team is pretty much a crapshoot. It could easily be the Spurs/Lakers WCF or Mavs/Lakers or Suns/Lakers. Then you have Utah,Houston,Portland and Hornets. I know some Lakers fans have the tickets punched for the Finals but don't overlook the other teams in particular the Spurs. The one team I think has the best chance of crashing LA's party.

21_Blessings
12-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Spurs are old and done. Not even a contender at this point.

Armando
12-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Spurs are old and done. Not even a contender at this point.

Yeah I heard that before in 2005 and 2007 and 2008.

LEONARD
12-29-2008, 10:52 PM
It's fairly simple. All any team has to do is shut down Fisher and Vujacic. They are the ones that are always left open for momentum-changing 3 pointers. LA talent-wise is the 4th best team in the West. They just have the most biased homecourt officiating in the league.

Whiny fucking douche-bag alert...:lol

Indazone
12-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Not the Rockets. With the talent we have we should be killing teams.