PDA

View Full Version : George Hill D

Spurs Brazil
12-27-2008, 11:48 PM
I think Pop is mad at the rookie

He had some mistakes at Phoenix and today his D wasn't good too. He didn't even play in the 2nd half.

xtremesteven33
12-27-2008, 11:49 PM
i dont get it how youre teaching him if you dont let him learn.

I dont know the ways of pop i guess.

Obstructed_View
12-27-2008, 11:52 PM
Pop couldn't stay away from the doghouse coaching style for long. If he isn't nursing a bullet wound in his team's foot, he's just not happy.

Admidave50
12-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Hope TP will advise him well and help him handle the situation

raspsa
12-28-2008, 12:04 AM
George Hill is a tough kid and mature beyond his years.. he'll work through this rough patch.

Reck
12-28-2008, 12:04 AM

Guilt is his punishment.

Pop is playing mind games with him.

Obstructed_View
12-28-2008, 12:05 AM
You can't spell PsyOps without POP.

DROB4EVER
12-28-2008, 12:10 AM
Pops has done a poor job getting Mase and Hill envolved the last couple games. We are not gonna win a title unless these guys can give us 18ppg between the two. Tony needs to hold back on shooting the damn ball.

SpursPreacher
12-28-2008, 12:11 AM
He will learn he is young.

ploto
12-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Just how he treated Beno. Hope it turns out differently.

Obstructed_View
12-28-2008, 12:14 AM
It should. Hill doesn't suck.

pawe
12-28-2008, 12:17 AM
Pop probably protects Hill's confidence by leaving him in the game to be ripped apart by the Memphis rookies.

Ice009
12-28-2008, 12:43 AM
Hill has been playing the way Pop told him not to play earlier in the season. He's a placeholder right now. He's not doing much apart from dribbling the ball up the court and passing. He needs to start attacking.

If he doesn't show any aggression on offense or defense I'd be willing to include him in a trade for someone like SJax. Roger can run the back up PG if need be.

You gotta stop being a placeholder George and get more aggressive. Where is the guy that played great in that earlier Grizzlies game?

HarlemHeat37
12-28-2008, 12:47 AM
why are we talking trades for Hill? he has tons of potential..

he's still learning, give him time..the talent is clearly there..he has a great NBA body..he's just learning..we've already seen what he can do this season, he's just in a slump right now..EVERY rookie in the NBA goes through slumps..

it's only December, he has a long time to learn..

Ice009
12-28-2008, 12:49 AM
That was probably a bit harsh and I knew someone would take exception to it.

I just don't like the way Hill is playing. He needs to get aggressive. I do not like seeing this placeholder type play. Even Beno was more aggressive on offense than Hill is right now. Pop shouldn't have to get on him about getting aggressive and playing passive all the time.

Reck
12-28-2008, 12:54 AM
Hill has been playing the way Pop told him not to play earlier in the season. He's a placeholder right now. He's not doing much apart from dribbling the ball up the court and passing. He needs to start attacking.

If he doesn't show any aggression on offense or defense I'd be willing to include him in a trade for someone like SJax. Roger can run the back up PG if need be.

You gotta stop being a placeholder George and get more aggressive. Where is the guy that played great in that earlier Grizzlies game?

Hold the Phones man..

We dont want to trade George Hill right now. It would most certainly come back to bite us. Just look at the Harris trade by the mavs.

K-State Spur
12-28-2008, 01:02 AM

I just don't like the way Hill is playing. He needs to get aggressive. I do not like seeing this placeholder type play. Even Beno was more aggressive on offense than Hill is right now. Pop shouldn't have to get on him about getting aggressive and playing passive all the time.

Yeah, it's almost like he was a rookie or something...

xellos88330
12-28-2008, 01:06 AM
I agree. Hill looks like he has the tools to be a solid NBA scorer. That is right I said it. I believe that he needs to work on his jumper coming off of screens. If he can hit that shot with consistency, beware his athleticism.

Ice009
Yeah, it's almost like he was a rookie or something...

Beno was more aggressive as a rookie. What is your point? Pop probably has to tell Hill all the time to not be passive.

Solid D
None of the Spurs other than 6 key players got major minutes vs. Memphis. Pop really wanted to compete and get this win. Hill 10 minutes, Bonner 9 minutes, Udoka 8 minutes, Tolliver 7 minutes, Thomas 12 minutes (basically after Timmy fouled out). Hill wasn't very visible tonight but the matchups called for smaller lineups a lot. One 2nd quarter stint had TP and Hill playing together in the back-court for a few minutes.

I think tonight was more about coming from behind to get the W. It was a struggle.

Dr. Gonzo

Just shut up already.

pawe
12-28-2008, 01:10 AM
Hey, if Hill can be a filler to get SJax then I say go for it. Pop trusts Mason enough to give him PG duties sometimes. Wouldn't happen though...

Ice009
12-28-2008, 01:13 AM
Hey, if Hill can be a filler to get SJax then I say go for it. Pop trusts Mason enough to give him PG duties sometimes. Wouldn't happen though...

Well I'm not sure if I'd trade him. I overreacted a little bit, but if the deal was for someone like SJax I would really, really think about it.

It'd have to be for someone really good and a proven playoff performer.

TDMVPDPOY
12-28-2008, 01:14 AM
beno-udrih syndrome???

Ice009
12-28-2008, 01:14 AM
Just shut up already.

What's your take on the way he's playing? "Shut up" is quite a weak one.

MarHill
12-28-2008, 01:17 AM
None of the Spurs other than 6 key players got major minutes vs. Memphis. Pop really wanted to compete and get this win. Hill 10 minutes, Bonner 9 minutes, Udoka 8 minutes, Tolliver 7 minutes, Thomas 12 minutes (basically after Timmy fouled out). Hill wasn't very visible tonight but the matchups called for smaller lineups a lot. One 2nd quarter stint had TP and Hill playing together in the back-court for a few minutes.

I think tonight was more about coming from behind to get the W. It was a struggle.

I agree with that!

Tonight was a game for the Big three....because Memphis played well and got a nice lead.

Hill will be fine!!!

angelbelow
12-28-2008, 02:37 AM
maybe pop should consider sending hill to the D-leauge then recall him ala jordan farmar. that would keep hill sharp with both playing time, and learning experience. what do you guys think?

YODA
12-28-2008, 02:41 AM
come on now about Hills min. Would anyone here bench parker in favor of him in tonights game? Of course not. Of course id like to see him play more, but your not gonna bench TP to give him more min. U dont bench the hot players. I stil think he he finding his way.
Eventually, he will have a breakout game...it will come.

I do worry though about Mason....I think he played something like 31 min and only took 4 shots and 2 of those were 3's. He being left out on the O end and it worries me. they need to find ways to get him some shots. Mason and Hill gettign confidence will only help team down road.

m33p0
12-28-2008, 03:30 AM
worry about Hill when Vaughn gets the minutes young George is supposed to be getting.

mrspurs
12-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Pops not mad, he's letting players get out there with Timmy and Tony. That will help later on down the road. Roger wasnt playing well either. Pop wanted to win the game. So he went with what he thought would. Hill is doing fine. The Grizzs are a very quick team all around except Gasol. And Hill couldnt get into the lanes because of it. Only 1 guy on our roster can do that. And he won us the game.

koriwhat
12-28-2008, 08:36 AM
GH3
"THE REAL DEAL"

T Park
12-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Sigh the spursreport 15 year olde won't leave......

K-State Spur
12-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Beno was more aggressive as a rookie. What is your point? Pop probably has to tell Hill all the time to not be passive.

ALL rookies have ups and downs.

As for Beno - if he had continued to build on that rookie year, he would have been fine. The problem was that he regressed here (that, and he couldn't bring the ball up the floor against a press - a minor requirement for a PG).

Kent_in_Atlanta
12-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Tony Parker went through a lot of the same stuff when he first arrived. Pop was a little hard on him at times, but that's not a bad thing. It's just part of the learning/growing process. All of the Spurs' coaching staff from Pop on down seems to think a lot of Hill. And for good reason.

He'll have his stints in the doghouse. It's all part of the process. Nothing to think twice about.

Chomag
12-28-2008, 06:35 PM
First, there is no doubt in my mind that we have found another gem in the low high draft props to management for that. However I totally understand what some of you are saying... How in the world can Hill learn without some court time. The kid is way to good to be just bench fodder he just needs some mileage. You cant expect someone to come in and contribute so much in such little amount of time.

Does each of our starters score a point per minute they are on the court? No.. And remember he is a POINT GUARD, his job is to run the offense first. Agreed there are sometimes when he seems a bit timid but you can't and don't want him jacking up a shot each and every time he gets the ball in his hands. Remember guys, he is a rookie... he needs these times to make those mistakes so he can learn from them. Think about it, what rookie would not be timid to be playing on a championship caliber team with the big 3 not wanting to let them down... and lets not forget pop heh. I would be so afraid to even breath wrong around him.

I have read so many posting saying that all he is doing is taking the ball up court and passing... hmm, would you rather have him taking the ball up court and shooting it each time?

Hill is going to be a great player but can he really hit that potintual with this team being behind TP. On another team with what we were seeing when tp went down is that he would be a starter on other teams without an all-star point guard. We need him to be on the court right now because when we start getting closer to the playoffs if hill isn't getting some game miles now he definitely wont be getting them then, and he definitely needs to learn as much as he can so he can be prepared for the playoffs.

Bottom line is... we have a very very talented player in Hill but the downside is he is a point guard playing behind an all-star and our youngest all-star at that. He is young he is going to make mistakes, but he needs those chances to do so. If only he was a different type of player we could use 100% of his potintual and let him blossom it...

I would hate to lose such a great talented player, but would we be better off trading him for someone we need and letting the kid go off to be a star.

T Park
12-28-2008, 06:36 PM
ALL rookies have ups and downs.

As for Beno - if he had continued to build on that rookie year, he would have been fine. The problem was that he regressed here (that, and he couldn't bring the ball up the floor against a press - a minor requirement for a PG).

That was pop's fault. Get it right.

Rohirrim
12-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Just hit some 3's every now and then, and start shooting J's right off the screen.

Defense is overrated.

He'll be good to go.

T Park
12-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Just hit some 3's every now and then, and start shooting J's right off the screen.

Defense is overrated.He'll be good to go.

Spoken like a person who has no clue what it takes to win a championship.

duncan228
12-28-2008, 07:14 PM

Defense is overrated.

He'll be good to go.

Any Spur that thinks defense is overrated won't see enough time on the court to start shooting anything.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Any Spur that thinks defense is overrated won't see enough time on the court to start shooting anything.

Unless you're Michael Finley

m33p0
12-28-2008, 10:17 PM
does that mean we won't ever see Sasha Pavlovic in a Spurs uni? :lol

m33p0
12-28-2008, 10:18 PM
blocked the grizz' final shot attempt says he's trying.

anakha
12-28-2008, 10:46 PM

There's a world of difference between just not having the tools anymore and not caring about defense.

Sissiborgo
12-29-2008, 12:20 PM

True give him a chance it's a big game and you don't expect him to play like a superstar..