PDA

View Full Version : Dirk suspended

lurker
12-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Dirk Nowitzki has been suspended for one game by the NBA for the punch he threw at Utah's Matt Harpring on Friday night.

Nowitzki will miss today's 2:30 p.m. game against the Los Angeles Clippers.
The league informed the team early today of the punishment.

The incident happened with 9:48 left in the game. After a scrum under the basket, Nowitzki, who had grown tired of the physical nature of the Utah defense, flung his right arm at Harpring. The refs called a flagrant foul, penalty 2, and ejected Nowitzki after reviewing the tape and deeming that the punch he threw was with a closed fist.

balli
12-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Good. Dirk's a girl.

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-28-2008, 12:19 PM
stupid stern at it again.

Suspend Cryilenko for 5 games then and make him use his once a year pass on Rosie O'donnell

TheMACHINE
12-28-2008, 12:23 PM
the "kobe arm flung rule" in effect once again.

balli
12-28-2008, 12:24 PM
stupid stern at it again.

Suspend Cryilenko for 5 games then and make him use his once a year pass on Rosie O'donnell

What does AK have to do with Dirk throwing a fist at Matt Harpring?

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Ak47's flop on dirk would have been enough to get ticked at the refs and take it out on one of the opposing players.

The funny thing is ive read that some Jazz fans think its good for the game :lmao

lurker
12-28-2008, 12:56 PM
I don't think Dirk intended to hit Matt in the face, but he should know better than to try and get any kind of cheap shot in there in the first place. You're not on one of the chosen teams, fool. They won't just turn the other cheek and ignore it.

gaKNOW!blee
12-28-2008, 12:58 PM
I don't think Dirk intended to hit Matt in the face, but he should know better than to try and get any kind of cheap shot in there in the first place. You're not on one of the chosen teams, fool. They won't just turn the other cheek and ignore it.

lol shut the fuck up.

Texas_Ranger
12-28-2008, 01:00 PM
H4E2i5X3MWc

Killakobe81
12-28-2008, 01:11 PM
/He deserves it based on prior suspensions BUT ...KG 's taunting is more deliberate ...I dont think Dirk meant to connect I thought everyone thinks he is soft?

Spurs Brazil
12-28-2008, 01:39 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3795991

Nowitzki suspended one game
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: December 28, 2008, 1:14 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki has received a one-game suspension for striking Utah's Matt Harpring in the face with a backhanded swipe Friday night.

Nowitzki
The league announced the suspension three hours before the Mavericks' 12:30 p.m. PT Sunday tipoff against the Los Angeles Clippers at the Staples Center. The Mavericks were not informed of Nowitzki's enforced absence until Sunday morning.

The league office began reviewing Nowitzki's flagrant foul/penalty 2 on Harpring on Saturday. The foul resulted in Nowitzki's ejection early in the fourth quarter of Dallas' 97-88 defeat on Friday night.

After a similar incident involving Boston's Kevin Garnett and Milwaukee Andrew Bogut in November, resulting in a one-game suspension for Garnett, NBA executive vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson told ESPN.com that league rules make a suspension automatic "when a player swings or punches with a fist or open hand, regardless if it makes contact or not."

With that in mind, the Mavericks were bracing for a suspension, but were hopeful that a ruling would come Saturday, as opposed to the morning of a lunchtime game.

Nowitzki was ejected for swinging his arm in response to under-the-basket contact from Harpring. Video replays confirmed that although it was a backhanded swipe, Nowitzki made a closed-fist connection with Harpring's face on his follow-through.

It's the second successive season that Nowitzki has been suspended after an incident in Utah. A rough takedown in March of Jazz forward Andrei Kirilenko -- for which Nowitzki was not ejected -- also resulted in a one-game suspension.

The one-game suspension this season will cost Nowitzki 1/110th of his $18,077,904 salary, which comes to $164,344.58.

Nowitzki did not speak to the media Friday after the game and declined comment when reached Saturday. But team officials confirmed that their star player was interviewed Saturday by league officials for his account, since every flagrant foul/penalty 2 is reviewed by Jackson's office.

Mavs coach Rick Carlisle told reporters in Salt Lake City on Friday: "It appeared to me to be accidental, but they said his fist was closed, so it was an automatic flagrant two. They went to the video. I said it wasn't intentional. They said it didn't matter. ... I don't think the intent was to strike Harpring in the face. Dirk doesn't have any pattern of that type of stuff. It was a microcosm of the night, really."

Complaints about Utah's physical play, especially at home, are nothing new.

Harpring, however, insisted that Nowitzki "just turned around and threw a nice little punch."

Said Utah forward Kyrylo Fesenko, whose offensive rebound over Nowitzki preceded Nowitzki's tangle with Harpring: "I get the rebound. I maybe push him in the back a little. Then probably Matt pushed him a little. I don't think it was something really brutal. It happens all the time."

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

resistanze
12-28-2008, 01:44 PM
I'd like to smack Matt Harpring too.

mavsfan1000
12-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Fuck the jazz. Kryilinko and Fag Harpring.

de Soto
12-28-2008, 02:52 PM
So a fag has a hissy fit...BFD.

BlackSwordsMan
12-28-2008, 02:57 PM
H4E2i5X3MWc

wow what a piece of shit flopper

SmellyFeet
12-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Piece of shit, all of utah jazz are dirty mormons.

K-State Spur
12-28-2008, 03:06 PM
H4E2i5X3MWc

The suspension is BS, but so is that video. Whiny fans can put any play into slow motion and then cry that the other team committed a foul.

Dirk shouldn't have been suspended or probably even ejected for that - but he still got outfought for a board and threw a hissy fit.

BRHornet45
12-28-2008, 03:28 PM
sons even though I agree with Dirk's side on this situation, he still deserves the suspension for his past hissy fits and flopping. Kryilinko stole that move from Dirk himself

Brickhouse
12-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Kirilenko has always been the king of the most ridiculous flops. He's on another level.

The suspension is BS but a good time for JHo to pick up his production in front of the Clippers so they can swap him for Kaman.

Rohirrim
12-28-2008, 03:51 PM
I missed that game but WTF would Dirk throw a punch at Harpring of all people???? hahahaha

Sportstudi
12-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Good. Dirk's a girl.

If Dirk's a girl, Kirilenko is a pussy doing flops

Reck
12-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Yeah The Jazz are ghey.

diego
12-28-2008, 04:17 PM
i can understand the call on dirk, there are rules and you should be consistent. didnt look intentional but there was cause for concern.

but by the same token, arent they supposed to have cracked down on flopping? Isnt AKs flop a crystal clear case of a player deceiving the official intentionally? then when they do enforce it, we'll be thinking why now and not then...

stu jackson is a complete idiot

E20
12-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Yeah the Jazz the suck.

dirk4mvp
12-28-2008, 04:36 PM
The Jazz are made up of a bunch of soft faggots.

gaKNOW!blee
12-28-2008, 04:52 PM
If Dirk's a girl, Kirilenko is a pussy doing flops

Actually yeah he is.

scanry
12-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Good god, i though vujabitch can flop but man Kirilenko takes it to another level.

I think guys like Manu, Nash, Dirk, vujabitch, Fisher and gang flop a lot, but they flop after they take a hit. It's more like they exaggerate the contact, but guys like Kirilenko, and Powe are just outright embarrassing.

Findog
12-28-2008, 05:31 PM
It doesn't look like they need him to beat the Clip Show:

Josh has 29, 9 and 7. It's nice of him to play like that and remind us of what he's capable of. Of course, we'll get Dirk back in the next game and Josh will go back to providing us his usual 0 rebounds and 0 assists.

Reck
12-28-2008, 05:37 PM

Josh has 29, 9 and 7. It's nice of him to play like that and remind us of what he's capable of. Of course, we'll get Dirk back in the next game and Josh will go back to providing us his usual 0 rebounds and 0 assists.

You can probably go 3 on 5 on the Clips and you will still win. lol

Findog
12-28-2008, 05:38 PM
You can probably go 3 on 5 on the Clips and you will still win. lol

Josh is actually trying in this game. Imagine if he did that all the time. We could be pretty good.

Brickhouse
12-28-2008, 05:54 PM

yeah yeah we've all seen it last season when Dirk was out for a few games. But give me 10 straight games with Josh as the first option and I guarantee he will revert back to a blackhole dumbass.

Maybe Carlisle benching him in the 4th quarter against the Jazz sent a message? Either way, I'm not holding my breath.

Indazone
12-29-2008, 01:15 AM
On this pt, I'm siding with the Mavs. The Jazz suck and I hate their dirty play. Coach Sloan openly advocates fouling and fouling often because the refs cannot call every foul because you would a) make the NBA game a bad product by fouling out all the players or b) extend the game to be so long with charity stripe visits that it would make the game unwatchable.

scanry
12-29-2008, 02:12 AM
On this pt, I'm siding with the Mavs. The Jazz suck and I hate their dirty play. Coach Sloan openly advocates fouling and fouling often because the refs cannot call every foul because you would a) make the NBA game a bad product by fouling out all the players or b) extend the game to be so long with charity stripe visits that it would make the game unwatchable.

Stop with this crap already. I've heard this broken record from you before and will you get over it for god's sake. Houston lost to the Jazz the past two post seasons and understandably you're bitter, but stop with the Coach Sloan advocating fouls BS.

Coach Sloan is a class act and pussies like you will never appreciate teams with character.

dirk4mvp
12-29-2008, 02:14 AM
Stop with this crap already. I've heard this broken record from you before and will you get over it for god's sake. Houston lost to the Jazz the past two post seasons and understandably you're bitter, but stop with the Coach Sloan advocating fouls BS.

Coach Sloan is a class act and pussies like you will never appreciate teams with character.

Coach Sloan is great and all, but that team consists of a group of faggots.

urunobili
12-29-2008, 07:25 AM
i was dissapointed to see Dirk react like that... not that an idol has fallen for me.... but Fagspring and Metrolenko do deserve a lot of pain...

pauls931
12-29-2008, 09:19 AM
I can't stand harping or whatever that guy is on Utah. He's in the game for one reason, he's a bruiser. I hate Dallas, but this utah player is like John Stockton with muscle an no pt guard skills.

Pushing with your arms and grabbing is not defense, bodying up and boxing out is defense for a big.

Sportstudi
12-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Interesting article... But why the NBA didn't react after Kirilenko's flop???

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3416579)

dickface
12-30-2008, 12:03 PM

LOL are you kidding? Jerry Sloan has been the biggest supporter of thuggery on the basketball court, he just makes sure his Jesus loving white guys are the biggest thugs, that way they get away with it.

Indazone
12-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Yeah? then tell me why the Utah Jazz are the highest fouling team in the NBA if they are such saints? DUH

Girasuck
12-31-2008, 10:13 AM

You have absolutely no idea what the fuck you're talking about. It's just bitterness to the team that ousted your ass two years in a row.

I'm so sick and tired of all these god damn pussy fans in today's game. Jesus Christ...get a fucking VCR and rent a few games from the 80's. Watch how NBA basketball is suppose to be played. I'll tell you one thing, this shitty hip hop basketball being played today is a fucking joke, and the fans that support it are as well. Run a fucking offense. Man up and get your nose in the opponents chest. Do anything necessary to prevent a layup. Scratch, claw, fight for loose balls. Good god what a pussy league (and fans) the NBA has turned into.

TMac whining cause he's tired in the 4th quarter because we beat him up. What a fucking pussy.

FUCK!!

SmellyFeet
12-31-2008, 10:28 AM
You have absolutely no idea what the fuck you're talking about. It's just bitterness to the team that ousted your ass two years in a row.

I'm so sick and tired of all these god damn pussy fans in today's game. Jesus Christ...get a fucking VCR and rent a few games from the 80's. Watch how NBA basketball is suppose to be played. I'll tell you one thing, this shitty hip hop basketball being played today is a fucking joke, and the fans that support it are as well. Run a fucking offense. Man up and get your nose in the opponents chest. Do anything necessary to prevent a layup. Scratch, claw, fight for loose balls. Good god what a pussy league (and fans) the NBA has turned into.

TMac whining cause he's tired in the 4th quarter because we beat him up. What a fucking pussy.

FUCK!!

Dirty scum. No wonder child fuckers play on your teams. must be something in the mormon water, or maybe your special underwear is too tight?

jack sommerset
12-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Dirty scum. No wonder child fuckers play on your teams. must be something in the mormon water, or maybe your special underwear is too tight?

Dude there are child fuckers all over the US and don't forget that over 400 kids were taken from the Mormons in Texas and California, fuck, that is one fucked up state. I'm grateful my parents moved my ass out of there when I was three. Oh yeah and of course if "ur" team is the Lakers, you currently have a rapist playing for you.

Chieflion
12-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Yeah? then tell me why the Utah Jazz are the highest fouling team in the NBA if they are such saints? DUH

They play at a high tempo and actually tries to stop the other team in the paint.

Girasuck
12-31-2008, 10:51 AM

And you support and cheer for a fucking rapist.

If you want to have an actual thought out discussion on the topic of why Sloan is the way he is then I'm all for it. If you insist on taking it to the level of grade school kids then I can do that as well.

Fucking piss ant.

pawe
12-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Leave the child fuckers and raping to the other adult forums..lets talk about basketball. :toast

That flop by Kirilenko was absolutely a pussy move but hey it worked out coz Dirk lost it. I still think the nba should issue a warning or a fine for that blatant flopping.

Sportstudi
01-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Written by Art Garcia: Link (http://www.nba.com/2008/news/features/art_garcia/12/31/dirk_stu_thru_1231/index.html)