PDA

View Full Version : Red Rings ...

dirk4mvp
12-29-2008, 02:10 AM
The red rings. There's probably not anything I'd rather not see than turning on the 360 to find those fucking annoying lights flashing at you, other than watching old people fuck.

So I guess it's the ol' routine call to microsoft where I'll have to talk to some guy who's first language is obviously not English for over an hour?

baseline bum
12-29-2008, 02:52 AM
The red rings. There's probably not anything I'd rather not see than turning on the 360 to find those fucking annoying lights flashing at you, other than watching old people fuck.

So I guess it's the ol' routine call to microsoft where I'll have to talk to some guy who's first language is obviously not English for over an hour?

Damn, has the tech support become drastically worse in the last year or so? It didn't take me too long to send mine in last year (it was a drive problem and not the 3 rings though). If it's 3 rings, they'll prob just send you another system and it shouldn't take too long. At least that's what happened when my brother's red-ringed.

lefty
12-29-2008, 02:56 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108564

dirk4mvp
12-29-2008, 12:39 PM

Maybe it's gotten better. I haven't had to do this since last August, and the guy I talked to had absolutely no idea what I was talking about most of the time.

I. Hustle
12-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Just happened to me to and I went tohttp://www.xbox.com/support. They are sending me a box to send my xbox in.

They said 94 bucks to fix it but i think I can get it free.

stretch
12-29-2008, 12:46 PM

What about watching two men fuck? I think I'd take my chances with the RROD.

dirk4mvp
12-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Just happened to me to and I went tohttp://www.xbox.com/support. They are sending me a box to send my xbox in.

They said 94 bucks to fix it but i think I can get it free.

I just tried to do that and it says the serial number is already registered.

TwAnKiEs
12-29-2008, 02:28 PM
If its a referb then that possibility wold not surprise me.

dirk4mvp
12-29-2008, 02:34 PM
If its a referb then that possibility wold not surprise me.

It is.

I. Hustle
12-29-2008, 03:00 PM
That sucks then

Dex
12-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Go to http://www.xbox.com/support , give them the serial number, open a Repair Ticket, and say it's for the Flashing Three Lights as your symptom.

The repair cost should change to $0, whether your system is In-Warranty or not, then they will email shipping labels without even having to talk to one single dumbass. You do, however, have to provide a shipping package.

As of about 3 months ago, this was the procedure, and it took me about a week and a half to get mine back once it was sent out.

baseline bum
12-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Go to http://www.xbox.com/support , give them the serial number, open a Repair Ticket, and say it's for the Flashing Three Lights as your symptom.

The repair cost should change to $0, whether your system is In-Warranty or not, then they will email shipping labels without even having to talk to one single dumbass. You do, however, have to provide a shipping package.

As of about 3 months ago, this was the procedure, and it took me about a week and a half to get mine back once it was sent out.

Damn, they sent me the box last year. That sucks to hear that's changed.

Dex
12-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Damn, they sent me the box last year. That sucks to hear that's changed.

Yeah, I think that changed pretty recently. Even the site indicated that they would be sending me a box, then I got an email from them stating that I had to provide one.

It was, however, pretty cut and dry and went surprisingly quick. I guess they've had to deal with so many of these at this point that they've got it down to a science.

I. Hustle
12-29-2008, 04:20 PM
They said that they would be sending me a box. So should I just print my label out so I can get it faster? I still have the box my Xbox came in should I send it in that or get another box?

IronMexican
12-29-2008, 04:22 PM
It was well worth paying 50 at RadioShack for a 2 year warranty. All I have to do is take my 360 in and get a new one.

Dex
12-29-2008, 05:36 PM
They said that they would be sending me a box. So should I just print my label out so I can get it faster? I still have the box my Xbox came in should I send it in that or get another box?

It might have been different if you didn't submit your order online, but check the email they sent you to be sure.

I used the original XBox package for mine, but they don't send it back in the same box, so you won't get it back if you do so.

Guess they don't have this as figured out as I thought.

dirk4mvp
12-29-2008, 05:47 PM

That would've been ideal, but I tried that and the serial number has already been registered.

I. Hustle
12-29-2008, 05:50 PM
It might have been different if you didn't submit your order online, but check the email they sent you to be sure.

I used the original XBox package for mine, but they don't send it back in the same box, so you won't get it back if you do so.

Guess they don't have this as figured out as I thought.

Yeah I did everything online but it didn't say anything about them not sending a box. I will have to check my e-mail again. When it says to remove the hard drive is that something I do even if I didn't install it?

I. Hustle
12-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Shipping Methods
We have 3 shipping methods to get your console to us:

If you chose to receive an electronic mailing label,

· United States: Connect to http://support.xbox.com and click the link labeled "check repair status". On this screen, simply enter your service request number and the zip code of your shipping address.

· You will be taken to your electronic shipping label. Click the button label "print e-label" to print out a label suitable for shipping.

· Canada: You should receive a separate e-mail notification with instructions for printing the label. Follow the instructions below to ship your console to us using the electronic label.

· If you have not received your electronic label in your e-mail after 24 hours, please check your "junk mail" or "spam" folders in your email application. If the shipping label email is not present, please contact Xbox Support to verify your email address, or request an alternative shipping label.

· Use a sturdy package that is well padded to help protect the contents during the shipping process. The service centre will return the repaired or replaced components to you in our own packaging.

· Write your full return address and the Service Request number on the outside of the package.

If you were sent an electronic mailing label

· You should receive a separate e-mail notification with instructions for printing the label. Follow the instructions below to ship your console to us using the electronic label.

· If you have not received your electronic label in your e-mail after 24 hours, please check your "junk mail" or "spam" folders in your email application. If the shipping label email is not present, please contact Xbox Support to verify your email address, or request an alternative shipping label.

· Use a sturdy package that is well padded to help protect the contents during the shipping process. The service centre will return the repaired or replaced components to you in our own packaging.

· Write your full return address and the Service Request number on the outside of the package.

If you receive a pre-paid shipping box

· You will receive an empty shipping box with further instructions included in the package.

· Below is the shipping information for the packaging materials.

o Carrier Name:

o Carrier Tracking Number:

· You can track the status of your package using the website and the tracking number provided above.

If you receive a paper label

· You should receive this in the next 3-5 days.

· Please package your console before this time.

2. Returning your console to us
What to do next?

· Remove the Hard Drive if attached (Xbox 360 only). For more information on how to do this, see KB Article 906204.

· Remove any custom faceplates (Xbox 360 only). For more information on how to do this, see KB article 907331 at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907331

· Remove any discs from the disc tray. For more information, see KB article 907532 or KB article 906935. For the original Xbox, see KB article 817396.

Do not:

· Important: Do not include any Games, Hard Drives, AV cables, Controllers or any other accessories with the console unless instructed by an Xbox Service Agent. Accessories included with the console cannot be returned.

· Do not use your original Xbox or Xbox 360 packaging to send your console to our Service Centre, as it will not be returned.

· Do not write Xbox or Microsoft on the outside of the package.

Sending the console:

· Drop your prepaid console off at a shipping store outlet. Be sure to obtain a receipt of shipment for your records.

My address has changed?

· We can only perform return address changes before you have shipped your console to our Service Center. Address changes after this time are not possible.

Checking the status of the repair

How to check on the status of your console repair?

You can do this quickly and easily by going to https://service.xbox.com/servicesignin.aspx. You can either use the Service Request ID and your zipcode to check your repair status or sign in, click on the relevant device serial number you have registered to view your status.

Once you send your console to us, it will take 2-3 Weeks to return to you.

Thank you for your patience while we work to get your console repaired and returned to you as quickly as possible!

Dex
12-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Shipping Methods
We have 3 shipping methods to get your console to us:

If you chose to receive an electronic mailing label,

· United States: Connect to http://support.xbox.com and click the link labeled "check repair status". On this screen, simply enter your service request number and the zip code of your shipping address.

· You will be taken to your electronic shipping label. Click the button label "print e-label" to print out a label suitable for shipping.

· Canada: You should receive a separate e-mail notification with instructions for printing the label. Follow the instructions below to ship your console to us using the electronic label.

If you were sent an electronic mailing label

· You should receive a separate e-mail notification with instructions for printing the label. Follow the instructions below to ship your console to us using the electronic label.

If you receive a pre-paid shipping box

· You will receive an empty shipping box with further instructions included in the package.

· Below is the shipping information for the packaging materials.

o Carrier Name:

o Carrier Tracking Number:

· You can track the status of your package using the website and the tracking number provided above.

If you receive a paper label

· You should receive this in the next 3-5 days.

· Please package your console before this time.

2. Returning your console to us
What to do next?

· Remove the Hard Drive if attached (Xbox 360 only). For more information on how to do this, see KB Article 906204.

· Remove any custom faceplates (Xbox 360 only). For more information on how to do this, see KB article 907331 at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907331

· Remove any discs from the disc tray. For more information, see KB article 907532 or KB article 906935. For the original Xbox, see KB article 817396.

Do not:

· Important: Do not include any Games, Hard Drives, AV cables, Controllers or any other accessories with the console unless instructed by an Xbox Service Agent. Accessories included with the console cannot be returned.

· Do not use your original Xbox or Xbox 360 packaging to send your console to our Service Centre, as it will not be returned.

· Do not write Xbox or Microsoft on the outside of the package.

Sending the console:

· Drop your prepaid console off at a shipping store outlet. Be sure to obtain a receipt of shipment for your records.

My address has changed?

· We can only perform return address changes before you have shipped your console to our Service Center. Address changes after this time are not possible.

Checking the status of the repair

How to check on the status of your console repair?

You can do this quickly and easily by going to https://service.xbox.com/servicesignin.aspx. You can either use the Service Request ID and your zipcode to check your repair status or sign in, click on the relevant device serial number you have registered to view your status.

Once you send your console to us, it will take 2-3 Weeks to return to you.

Thank you for your patience while we work to get your console repaired and returned to you as quickly as possible!

I don't remember choosing. Those fuckers made me use a box.

If they told you that they're sending you a prepaid box, then you might as well wait for that. Especially if you never got an email with labels to print out.

Dex
12-29-2008, 06:04 PM
That would've been ideal, but I tried that and the serial number has already been registered.

foiled!

I. Hustle
12-29-2008, 06:17 PM
I don't remember choosing. Those fuckers made me use a box.

If they told you that they're sending you a prepaid box, then you might as well wait for that. Especially if you never got an email with labels to print out.

I can print the labels out no problem. I just don't know how long the box will take since I can just send it out in the original box and get it back sooner.

leemajors
12-29-2008, 06:45 PM
if you got an email with labels i doubt they're sending a box.

Dex
12-29-2008, 06:56 PM
if you got an email with labels i doubt they're sending a box.

What he said.

dirk4mvp
12-31-2008, 12:57 AM

Sure enough, the guy I talked to today was a pain in the ass to talk to. I think it was Fillmoe. I forgot how many times I had to tell him my address due to not understanding me.

dirk4mvp
12-31-2008, 12:58 AM
I can print the labels out no problem. I just don't know how long the box will take since I can just send it out in the original box and get it back sooner.

from what i deciphered from the jibberish the guy was talking to me, I think after you print the label, you gotta take it to the UPS store.

balli
12-31-2008, 02:00 AM
Welp, I got a situation worse than the Red Rings. I turned on my xbox a few days ago and the screen was tinted green and flashing like a strobe. Few seconds passed, back to normal. Every time I turn on my 360 it eventually gets better, sometimes in seconds, sometimes a minute or two. I'm assuming this means either the GPU or scaler chip is heating up and re-soldering itself back into a working connection. I'm halfway to e74 aka the dreaded Red Light (as opposed to ring), which isn't covered under the 3 year RRoD warranty.

I see three options:

1. I get this ordeal over with, grab a towel, wrap up my 6 month old, falcon-chip 360, that I've babied like an infant chick... and red ring the living hell out of it, before calling 1-800-4MY-XBOX.

2. Keep using it heavily for marathon sessions until it breaks completely and then enact above plan.

3. I've heard proper self-repair on 360's can actually make them bomb-proof. A lot of the hardware failure problems are caused by there being unequal pressure points on the x-clamp that holds down the GPU and it's soldered joint. From what I gather on the internets, if you put some washers under the mobo and x-clamp screws, it distributes the pressure a lot more evenly and solves a lot of problems. I'm tempted to do this, but it completely voids the warranty and if I can't fix it, I'm fucked. And if I do this, I want to continue treat my 360 well in the meantime, as I would plan on keeping it.

Much appreciation if anybody's got thoughts on how to go about solving this foul predicament?

Specifically regarding chips and thermal paste. Just how difficult is it to properly mount a chip onto a mobo? Something easy enough that I should risk trying it for the first time on my 360? Thanks in advance.

Trainwreck2100
12-31-2008, 02:21 AM
i have 2 360s so if one breaks i just use the second one

leemajors
12-31-2008, 10:28 AM
Specifically regarding chips and thermal paste. Just how difficult is it to properly mount a chip onto a mobo? Something easy enough that I should risk trying it for the first time on my 360? Thanks in advance.
with a PC it's not very difficult at all. i haven't done any laptop work, but i know mouse has and it's probably not all that different except everything is smaller. just get some arctic silver thermal paste, it's not terribly expensive and you just need a tiny bit. just make sure it's an even, thin layer. too much paste will cause problems too.