PDA

View Full Version : How to fix the Cowboys

monosylab1k
12-29-2008, 10:45 AM
I don't care who the coach is, the offensive gameplan and the whiny ass players are the problem. Here's my Five Step Plan on how to fix the Cowboys.

1. Get TO the fuck out of Dallas - He may or may not be a problem in the locker room, but his presence will always be a distraction to the team. And he obviously demands the ball because Romo will try forcing it to him from time to time when it's just a stupid idea. I like TO Owens but his time with the Cowboys needs to come to an end.

2. Trade Jason Witten - He's too much of a security blanket for Romo. Now Tony has no clue what the hell to do, because he's stuck either forcing it to his BFF or forcing it to Owens. Best solution? Get rid of them both, so Tony doesn't feel like he has to force it to anybody. Martellus Bennett, despite making an ass of himself on Hard Knocks, looks like a more than capable tight end. He can fill Jason's shoes without having a Brokeback attachment to Romo.

3. Inform Tony Romo that he isn't Tom Brady - He can fuck famous bitches and stand tall in the pocket all he wants, he's still second rate compared to Brady. There's things Brady can do that Tony simply cannot. On the flip side, there's things Tony can do that Brady can't. Tony is NOT a traditional pocket passer. He can't make the throws Brady makes, he can't move around in the pocket the way Brady can. Tony is a scrambler. If there's not a play, Tony can scramble around to make something happen when Brady can't. So let Tony know that he can wear all those gay little hats during press conferences while Tom wears classy ones, he can bang B-list celebrities while Tom is screwing Victoria's Secret models, he can be a second-rate Tom Brady in every aspect of his life EXCEPT ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD. During games, Tony needs to be Tony.

4. Get rid of the safety Roy Williams - it's just a good idea that they've needed to do for years now.

5. Become the Steelers on offense - Run the ball. Be a smashmouth team. Dallas has probably the best trio of running backs in the league (when healthy). Marion Barber has proven he can't handle a full load. No problem, play him in the second half. Make Tashard Choice your starter, Marion your 2nd half closer, and Felix is your 3rd down back. Each guy gets anywhere from 8-15 carries depending on who is playing the best that game. Limit Tony's pass attempts to 20-25 a game. Do playaction like crazy. Your defense is good enough, so win games there, and control the clock.

leemajors
12-29-2008, 11:04 AM
pass happy garrett does not approve of this.

mrspurs
12-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Yeah them 5 things you said will fix the Cowboys...hahahahahahaha....not. Get rid of Witten? hahahahahaha.....By far one the of the funniest things Ive heard in here in sometime. Sure your not working for Jerry?

2centsworth
12-29-2008, 11:06 AM
1. Blow-up the receiving corp. TO needs to go because he's only a good teammate when things are good. Good teammates are needed when the going gets tough. Roy Williams was never able to run routes at Texas and he still can't do it in the NFL. He's a great athlete with great hands, but dude needs to humble himself and learn to run routes. Crayton is ok. Rebuild with team players.

2. Pacman experiment is done. Cowboys don't need any distractions. Scandrick is a jewel.

3. Promote Jason Witten to team Captain.

4. Add to the offensive line.

5. Trade Barber while he still has value. Two youngs guys can get it done, but add another young guy just in case.

2centsworth
12-29-2008, 11:07 AM
2. Trade Jason Witten - He's too much of a security blanket for Romo. Now Tony has no clue what the hell to do, because he's stuck either forcing it to his BFF or forcing it to Owens. Best solution? Get rid of them both, so Tony doesn't feel like he has to force it to anybody. Martellus Bennett, despite making an ass of himself on Hard Knocks, looks like a more than capable tight end. He can fill Jason's shoes without having a Brokeback attachment to Romo.

NO FREAKIN WAY!!!!! Get rid of the best player on the team:rollin

monosylab1k
12-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Get rid of Witten? hahahahahaha.....By far one the of the funniest things Ive heard in here in sometime.

This is a new age in the NFL, recieving TE's like Witten are a dime a dozen, and generally when they're overused (i.e. Witten, Shockey, Gonzalez) the team sucks. Tight ends aren't supposed to be your most frequent target, that's a sign of a poor offense.

monosylab1k
12-29-2008, 11:09 AM
NO FREAKIN WAY!!!!! Get rid of the best player on the team:rollin

If your TE is the best player on the team, your problems run way deeper than what the Cowboys have. Witten is far from their best player.

sa_butta
12-29-2008, 11:09 AM
From the outside looking in, I feel like it has to be the coaching that did not bring this team together. The players are there, they just need someone that can put those individual players together on the same page. Cowboys have not been playing as a team. There is no excuse for the way they played yesterday.

leemajors
12-29-2008, 11:12 AM
If your TE is the best player on the team, your problems run way deeper than what the Cowboys have. Witten is far from their best player.

well, if he's not the best, he's certainly one of the few players on the squad that leaves it all out on the field.

monosylab1k
12-29-2008, 11:20 AM
well, if he's not the best, he's certainly one of the few players on the squad that leaves it all out on the field.

I'm not questioning his worth ethic, dedication, or even his value as a football player. But look at how other elite teams are designed. How many elite teams have their tight end as the focal point of their receiving game? The Brady Patriots don't, the Colts don't, the Steelers dont. The Giants became elite after Shockey got hurt and Boss took his place. For all the catches Tony Gonzalez has made, the Chiefs have been mostly mediocre during his career. Antonio Gates hasn't exactly led the Chargers anywhere.

I see overusing a tight end as a weakness, regardless of how good the tight end is. He should be a 3rd option at best, and the majority of great teams in the NFL prove this to be true.

2centsworth
12-29-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm not questioning his worth ethic, dedication, or even his value as a football player. But look at how other elite teams are designed. How many elite teams have their tight end as the focal point of their receiving game? The Brady Patriots don't, the Colts don't, the Steelers dont. The Giants became elite after Shockey got hurt and Boss took his place. For all the catches Tony Gonzalez has made, the Chiefs have been mostly mediocre during his career. Antonio Gates hasn't exactly led the Chargers anywhere.

I see overusing a tight end as a weakness, regardless of how good the tight end is. He should be a 3rd option at best, and the majority of great teams in the NFL prove this to be true.

No one is saying he should be the focal point of the offense, but good TE are extremely important to championship football. That's why guys like Parcells and Belichek have 4 or 5 of them on the roster. Seems like they draft TE every year.

johnsmith
12-29-2008, 11:31 AM

This actually makes sense and I hadn't really thought of it that way before. When the Broncos won a couple of super bowls they had arguably the best TE ever and he was always behind in receptions compared to Rod Smith or Eddy Mac.

leemajors
12-29-2008, 11:33 AM

i agree with you to an extent. the comment was more directed towards the other worthless players on the field who dog their routes most of the time, and just lay down.

monosylab1k
12-29-2008, 11:36 AM
No one is saying he should be the focal point of the offense, but good TE are extremely important to championship football. That's why guys like Parcells and Belichek have 4 or 5 of them on the roster. Seems like they draft TE every year.

I agree with you completely here. The problem with Witten is he's such a security blanket for Romo that I can't see Romo ever scaling back Witten's role in the passing game. It's not Jason, it's Tony. And you can find another tight end, but getting another franchise quarterback is a lot tougher. So IMO you've gotta let Jason go. Unless of course you can change Tony's mindset with Jason still on the team.....which might be possible, but I doubt it.

xtremesteven33
12-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Its the coaching staff. Not even a debate. No way a team with this much talent not go 12-4 the least. If you dont have a good head running the show then youre just a circuis.

The whole coaching staff needs to be revamped.

Dr. Gonzo
12-29-2008, 11:41 AM
I agree with you completely here. The problem with Witten is he's such a security blanket for Romo that I can't see Romo ever scaling back Witten's role in the passing game. It's not Jason, it's Tony. And you can find another tight end, but getting another franchise quarterback is a lot tougher. So IMO you've gotta let Jason go. Unless of course you can change Tony's mindset with Jason still on the team.....which might be possible, but I doubt it.

Another franchise quarterback?

I didn't realize the Cowboys had a franchise quarterback.

monosylab1k
12-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Another franchise quarterback?

I didn't realize the Cowboys had a franchise quarterback.

He's no Sage Rosenfels, but he'll do.

Dr. Gonzo
12-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Are you sure he'll do? He hasn't really done shit except prove he's a better QB than Brad Johnson.

leemajors
12-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Are you sure he'll do? He hasn't really done shit except prove he's a better QB than Brad Johnson.

who is out there that's better and available? even if they draft a qb that qb is likely at least 2 years away.

2centsworth
12-29-2008, 12:19 PM
who is out there that's better and available? even if they draft a qb that qb is likely at least 2 years away.

Matt Cassell

Dr. Gonzo
12-29-2008, 12:20 PM
At this point I would take an Kerry Collins over Romo. He can manage a game and limit mistakes.

2centsworth
12-29-2008, 12:40 PM
There's also something very wrong with the defense.

Oh, Gee!!
12-29-2008, 12:48 PM
I agree with everything except trading Witten. Trade Romo before you trade Witten.

JamStone
12-29-2008, 12:54 PM
You don't trade Witten. That's a ridiculous suggestion.

You don't trade Romo either. He does need some better coaching though. He's brainwashed by the Brett Favre School of Quarterbacking. He aces gun-slinging and arm strength. He would have flunked out if that school had any courses on ball security, limiting turnovers, and playing under pressure. I think he can still be taught and fixed.

Fuck it, just run the wildcat formation in the fourth quarter. (not that it would have fixed anything in yesterday's slaughter)

leemajors
12-29-2008, 12:58 PM
wade wilson needs to follow stewart out of the door for sure.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Fuck it, just run the wildcat formation in the fourth quarter. (not that it would have fixed anything in yesterday's slaughter)

It would have been entertaining, though.

monosylab1k
12-29-2008, 01:00 PM
You don't trade Witten. That's a ridiculous suggestion.

Explain why.

Elite teams generally don't have top shelf receiving tight ends (and if they do, they don't make them the focal point of the passing game). Witten's value is still sky high, which can get you something of value in another larger area of need.

So tell me why trading Witten is ridiculous.

JamStone
12-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Because Witten wasn't the problem this year.

He's the best receiver on the team. He's the most consistent receiver on the team. T.O. is probably gone. They can't afford to lose their two best receivers.

monosylab1k
12-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Because Witten wasn't the problem this year.

He's the best receiver on the team. He's the most consistent receiver on the team. T.O. is probably gone. They can't afford to lose their two best receivers.

I understand Witten was great this year. But while he specifically hasn't been a problem, he's part of an offense that can't pull their head out of their ass. Which makes him part of the problem.

I think Tony is too attached to Witten, and his already questionable decision-making is worsened when his security blanket is out there. He already threw one game away by forcing it excessively to Witten, against Pittsburgh.

I just don't see how having Witten here helps Romo develop further. Again, I'm not saying Witten is a bad player, or that he's done anything negative to warrant removing him from the team. I just don't think Romo will ever develop any further as long as he has Witten as a security blanket. And as long as Witten is Romo's main target, the Cowboys will never be a great team.

2centsworth
12-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Explain why.

Elite teams generally don't have top shelf receiving tight ends

WRONG! They generally do have top shelf receiving tight ends.

(and if they do, they don't make them the focal point of the passing game). Witten's value is still sky high, which can get you something of value in another larger area of need. he's shouldn't be the focal point, agree. When Bill was here Witten wasn't the focal point. The problem is coaching not the player.

So tell me why trading Witten is ridiculous. Because he arguably the best TE in football. Not just talent wise, but he's exactly the kind of attitude a championship team needs. He plays hurt, fights for every yard and makes clutch plays.

ClingingMars
12-29-2008, 01:25 PM
I don't care who the coach is, the offensive gameplan and the whiny ass players are the problem. Here's my Five Step Plan on how to fix the Cowboys.

1. Get TO the fuck out of Dallas - He may or may not be a problem in the locker room, but his presence will always be a distraction to the team. And he obviously demands the ball because Romo will try forcing it to him from time to time when it's just a stupid idea. I like TO Owens but his time with the Cowboys needs to come to an end.

3. Inform Tony Romo that he isn't Tom Brady - He can fuck famous bitches and stand tall in the pocket all he wants, he's still second rate compared to Brady. There's things Brady can do that Tony simply cannot. On the flip side, there's things Tony can do that Brady can't. Tony is NOT a traditional pocket passer. He can't make the throws Brady makes, he can't move around in the pocket the way Brady can. Tony is a scrambler. If there's not a play, Tony can scramble around to make something happen when Brady can't. So let Tony know that he can wear all those gay little hats during press conferences while Tom wears classy ones, he can bang B-list celebrities while Tom is screwing Victoria's Secret models, he can be a second-rate Tom Brady in every aspect of his life EXCEPT ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD. During games, Tony needs to be Tony.

4. Get rid of the safety Roy Williams - it's just a good idea that they've needed to do for years now.

5. Become the Steelers on offense - Run the ball. Be a smashmouth team. Dallas has probably the best trio of running backs in the league (when healthy). Marion Barber has proven he can't handle a full load. No problem, play him in the second half. Make Tashard Choice your starter, Marion your 2nd half closer, and Felix is your 3rd down back. Each guy gets anywhere from 8-15 carries depending on who is playing the best that game. Limit Tony's pass attempts to 20-25 a game. Do playaction like crazy. Your defense is good enough, so win games there, and control the clock.

#1 - yeah this should probably be done, but he's still under contract and probably won't accept a trade. how do we get this done?

#2 - no fucking way. you're absolutely nuts. you take away Witten, you take away what's left of the heart of this team

#3 - yeah Tony really needs to start playing like himself

#4 - can't accept this, hell yeah I'm biased, he was my favorite player growing up and I have his jersey. probably a good move football wise, the whole secondary needs to be revamped aside Newman.

#5 - sounds good to me, just make sure that Tony is back to making plays, otherwise defenses will just stack the line.

-Mars

monosylab1k
12-29-2008, 02:06 PM
WRONG! They generally do have top shelf receiving tight ends.

Really? Name them. Or are you stupid enough to think Kevin Boss, Ben Watson, Heath Miller, or Dallas Clark are "elite"? You can halfway make an argument for Clark, but even then it's a stretch to put him in the same class as Gates/Gonzalez/Witten. Besides, everyone knows that Wayne and Harrison are options 1 and 2, nobody makes the mistake of thinking Dallas Clark is the most dangerous receiver on the field.

Elite teams have very good tight ends who know their role in the system. Elite teams don't force it to their tight end ever.

The problem is coaching not the player.

The problem is Tony Romo. He is so reliant on Witten that he actually goes braindead with his throws at times just because he can't think of anything else but to throw it to Jason. And you're not going to change Romo's mentality on this.

And as I said already, getting another great tight end is considerably easier than getting another great quarterback.

Because he arguably the best TE in football. Not just talent wise, but he's exactly the kind of attitude a championship team needs. He plays hurt, fights for every yard and makes clutch plays.

That attitude got your team 9-7 and dick else. Ridding yourself of Terrell Owens will do alot more to help the team attitude than keeping Jason Witten. Jason Witten will play great and make great plays, but he'll also forever hinder the development of Tony Romo. It's not his fault, it's Tony's.

stretch
12-29-2008, 02:33 PM
I just don't think Romo will ever develop any further as long as he has Witten as a security blanket. And as long as Witten is Romo's main target, the Cowboys will never be a great team.

There definitely can be truth to this, when two players depend on each other a lot. Sometimes they are not able to develop their game further. Granted, it is a different sport, but look at Dirk and Nash. Both of them were very good together, but when they split and were allowed to each do the things they did best for their teams, they became HOF material, and both of their teams became better than any team they had when they were together.

2centsworth
12-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Really? Name them. Or are you stupid enough to think Kevin Boss, Ben Watson, Heath Miller, or Dallas Clark are "elite"? calling someone stupid doesn't do you any favors. It's actually funny coming from you, but I'll go ahead and play. Dallas Clark is absolutely an elite "receiving" TE. Ben Watson, Heath Miller and Shockey (at one time) are top shelf receiving TE.

You can halfway make an argument for Clark, but even then it's a stretch to put him in the same class as Gates/Gonzalez/Witten. you said top shelf, not hall of fame.

Besides, everyone knows that Wayne and Harrison are options 1 and 2, nobody makes the mistake of thinking Dallas Clark is the most dangerous receiver on the field. at their best they are all equally dangerous. However, WR should make bigger plays.

Elite teams have very good tight ends who know their role in the system. Elite teams don't force it to their tight end ever. Witten was just fine when Parcells was here.

The problem is Tony Romo. He is so reliant on Witten that he actually goes braindead with his throws at times just because he can't think of anything else but to throw it to Jason. And you're not going to change Romo's mentality on this. Coaching.

And as I said already, getting another great tight end is considerably easier than getting another great quarterback. and? the quarterback needs to grow and get better.

That attitude got your team 9-7 and dick else. Ridding yourself of Terrell Owens will do alot more to help the team attitude than keeping Jason Witten. Jason Witten will play great and make great plays, but he'll also forever hinder the development of Tony Romo. It's not his fault, it's Tony's.[/quote]

monosylab1k
12-29-2008, 02:45 PM
calling someone stupid doesn't do you any favors. It's actually funny coming from you, but I'll go ahead and play. Dallas Clark is absolutely an elite "receiving" TE. Ben Watson, Heath Miller and Shockey (at one time) are top shelf receiving TE.

:lmao You don't watch the Patriots much, do you?

you said top shelf, not hall of fame.

same fucking thing. top shelf is the best of the best. Are you really trying to make a point with something as retarded as this?

at their best they are all equally dangerous. However, WR should make bigger plays.

:lol to say that Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark are equally dangerous players is all I need to know. You're an idiot.

Coaching

Name me a coach who has completely changed the entire mentality of a quarterback.

Witten was just fine when Parcells was here.

Yeah the Cowboys won so many playoff games in the Parcells era I can't even think of one.

dirk4mvp
12-29-2008, 02:50 PM
at their best they are all equally dangerous.

I don't have much to add to this thread as I don't give 2 shits about the Cowboys, but what possessed you to say something as retarded as this?

dougp
12-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Biggest issue to fix is Jerry Jones - be a fuckin owner, leave the team alone. Let your coaching staff make the decisions on who to sign, and how to run it. This will let you get an actual fuckin coach in there. We had one in Parcells, and we saw where that went - I honestly think if we hadn't taken TO, Parcells would still be here and we'd probably have a SB. Romo has only started to completely suck under Phillips.

As to trade Witten? No thanks - there reason he's the fuckin security blanket is HE MAKES THE FUCKIN CATCHES. TO is so fuckin unreliable, it's a joke. I used to think he was damn awesome - and he is - when he wants to play.

Oh, and Pacman? Yah, he should stick to being a CB - not a punt returner. He's been pretty decent at CB and providing the blitz.

R. Williams needs to be moved to OLB opposite of Ware - stick with Jenkins in the SS position, let him grow. R. Williams and Ware would scare the absolute shit out of a QB, and give us the #1 pass rushing defense in the league.

Oh, and fuckin FINE FLOZELL ADAMS A GAMES PAY IF HE FALSE STARTS. Mother fucker is good, but annoying with the retarded false starts.

monosylab1k
12-29-2008, 02:53 PM
I don't have much to add to this thread as I don't give 2 shits about the Cowboys, but what possessed you to say something as retarded as this?

:lmao

If Manning has a wide open Reggie Wayne and a wide open Dallas Clark, he goes to Wayne every time.

If Brady has a wide open Moss and a wide open Ben Watson (almost never happens but somehow he's "elite" :lol), he goes to Moss every time.

If Romo has a wide open TO or a wide open Witten, he goes to Witten every time.

That's why the Colts and Patriots are elite and the Cowboys are a joke.

monosylab1k
12-29-2008, 02:56 PM
As to trade Witten? No thanks - there reason he's the fuckin security blanket is HE MAKES THE FUCKIN CATCHES.

Unless he's running the wrong route or not even looking for the pass and Romo throws it to him anyway, in which case they get their pants pulled down by the Steelers.

dougp
12-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Unless he's running the wrong route or not even looking for the pass and Romo throws it to him anyway, in which case they get their pants pulled down by the Steelers.

Yah, Witten has one fucked up game. He rarely does that, and has played injured for 50% of the season. Most players wouldn't have played with the broken rib, especially someone who blocks as much as he does.

2centsworth
12-29-2008, 03:01 PM

when explosive offenses are at their best every player on the field is a threat. That's what makes them explosive. When the Cowboys were at their best you never knew who was going to kill you.

monosylab1k
12-29-2008, 03:03 PM
when explosive offenses are at their best every player on the field is a threat. That's what makes them explosive. When the Cowboys were at their best you never knew who was going to kill you.

When the Cowboys were at their best Jay Novacek was never a focal point of the offense and Troy never used him as a crutch. Novacek was never viewed as the most dangerous receiver on the field - that was obviously Irvin (or occasionally Harper). The Troy/Novacek relationship is the perfect example of how a tight end should be viewed in an offense. Not the abomination of Romo/Witten.

I Love Me Some Me
12-29-2008, 03:23 PM
While I wouldn't agree with trading Witten, I think his talent as a receiver gets Garrett too creative. There were a million times over the course of the season when Romo needed a TE to dump off to, but Witten was sent running a route 15 yards down the field.

The problem with the offense was that it was either the big play, or nothing at all. When you're in the shotgun, or taking 5-step drops, while waiting for 4 pass options to get open 15+ yards down the field, the O-line is not going to be able to protect forever, the play is going to break down, and you have no one to throw the ball to. Garrett tries to be too creative, instead of taking what the defense gives you. With all the pressure Philly and Baltimore were bringing the last two weeks, I can't think of one screen or draw they ran to counter the blitz, and make them think twice about sending everyone. For lack of a better word, the offense needs to be "dumbed down" a couple of notches.

Romo is a good QB. I've watched him make too many good plays to think he's not capable of being a great QB. But, I've also watched him make bad plays because his options are limited in terms of reads he can make. It's either Witten 12 yards down field, Crayton 18 yards down field, Owens 25 yards down field, or Roy Williams half-assing a route.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with 5 yards a play...but for Garrett it has to come 15 yards at a time, or not at all.

jack sommerset
12-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Fine any player that talks to the press. Waive any player that complains or better yet trade them to Detroit. Let them all know that they have been giving the best treatment,most freedom of any team in the league and remind them all the experts picked the to win the Super Bowl and thet finished 9-7 and were embarassed the last two games. Come to play next year or you are gone. A few casualities will set the rest of the team straight. No TV show on HBO or any channel next year.

Jones needs to LOWER the ticket cost by 75 % easily because they are not worth the paper u print the tickets on. The balls of this guy thinking anyone is going to spend the ridiculous prices this dick head is charging to see any NFL team let alone this one he has put on the feild the past 13 years.

leemajors
12-29-2008, 04:05 PM
While I wouldn't agree with trading Witten, I think his talent as a receiver gets Garrett too creative. There were a million times over the course of the season when Romo needed a TE to dump off to, but Witten was sent running a route 15 yards down the field.

The problem with the offense was that it was either the big play, or nothing at all. When you're in the shotgun, or taking 5-step drops, while waiting for 4 pass options to get open 15+ yards down the field, the O-line is not going to be able to protect forever, the play is going to break down, and you have no one to throw the ball to. Garrett tries to be too creative, instead of taking what the defense gives you. With all the pressure Philly and Baltimore were bringing the last two weeks, I can't think of one screen or draw they ran to counter the blitz, and make them think twice about sending everyone. For lack of a better word, the offense needs to be "dumbed down" a couple of notches.

Romo is a good QB. I've watched him make too many good plays to think he's not capable of being a great QB. But, I've also watched him make bad plays because his options are limited in terms of reads he can make. It's either Witten 12 yards down field, Crayton 18 yards down field, Owens 25 yards down field, or Roy Williams half-assing a route.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with 5 yards a play...but for Garrett it has to come 15 yards at a time, or not at all.

gonna play devil's advocate here. what if romo just isn't making the proper reads? the boys usually get pretty damn good yardage on RB dumpoffs, esp with barber, and recently choice. but if he's not making the right reads because he's either catering to TO or staring witten down the whole play, it still comes down to bad coaching.

I Love Me Some Me
12-29-2008, 04:24 PM
gonna play devil's advocate here. what if romo just isn't making the proper reads? the boys usually get pretty damn good yardage on RB dumpoffs, esp with barber, and recently choice. but if he's not making the right reads because he's either catering to TO or staring witten down the whole play, it still comes down to bad coaching.

There's some truth in that too. Romo does not always make the right reads. He tries too hard to force the ball to T.O. and Witten. Remember, he's coached (primarily) by Garrett, who digs the long ball. So, it's not that unusual that Romo digs the long ball too. Remember, this is only his second full season as a starter, and he's only 28. He's got a lot of room to grow, and it would be good of Jerry to provide him with a coach who can help him do that.

Eli Manning
12-29-2008, 05:49 PM
The thing with Witten is he's not even really a tight end the way they use him in Dallas. He was their No. 1 WR option for most of the year, and when you have Terrell Owens and the good Roy Williams on your team along with other guys that are capable of making plays for you, and your first, second and third read is always Witten, that's a problem. They need to use him like the Colts use Dallas Clark. Clark is money for an 850 yard, 7 TD season and I'd bet on that any day of the year, but Clark is a great blocker and isn't running a route on 80% of offensive snaps like Witten is. Stop treating Witten as a receiver when you have two No. 1 receivers lining up left and right.

Obstructed_View
12-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Make opposing quarterbacks wear a sandwich board that says "the Cowboys have no heart", especially in really big crucial games. Seems like the only way to get anyone mad.

mrspurs
12-30-2008, 07:41 AM
Other then Witten the rest of the receivers are just sub-par. And even if we had the best receivers in the league. Romo's arm is to weak. He can chunck the ball up their and hope to get a receiver on the run. But as for slants or 10 yard curls, he doesnt have the zip needed. Thats why he's alway throwing deep. Romo is a backup with the current system the boys have. For Romo to succeed, the Boys would need 2 1000 yard runners. Unless they bring in a big running back and bring Marion and Felix off the bench, Romo isnt taking this team anywhere soon. And until they get an offensive line to block for those running backs this team will not go far in December.

samikeyp
12-30-2008, 08:04 AM
With the exception of trading Witten, I like Mono's ideas. I would also add re-vamping the offensive line. Spend some free-agent money on some lineman.

The sad thing is that this team has talent. Its not a situation where you have less talented players getting out-manned. There is an inherent lack of discipline that starts at the head coach and filters down. It doesn't matter how good your team is, if there is no discipline or attention to detail, you won't win a championship. I don't agree with what Bradie James did but at least he seemed to care about what happened. He seemed to be the only one. Jerry Jones needs to do some soul searching because he is opening a brand new stadium and needs a good product to keep it filled and right now, he doesn't have it.

benefactor
12-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Dallas will be mediocre/bad until Jones A) Gets a hard nosed coach that doesn't take any crap and B) Actually brings in good football minds to work in his front office instead of taking all of the job titles himself.

A is looking bleak and B is never going to happen. Dallas is screwed.

Warlord23
12-30-2008, 01:52 PM
What do you mean "fix" the Cowboys? They're just perfect the way they are - the perfect entertainment package.

Think about it. They start off each season with a lot of hype, fanfare and adding surprising new charismatic characters (TO, Pacman etc). They go on to deliver all the drama that you can stomach, what with celebrity girlfriends, a 3-way intrigue/envy plot between QB/WR/TE, press conferences that range from emotional to wacky, and some startling sound bytes from the senile patriarch. Then comes the suspense: they start getting Dallas fans giddy with their potential, and the suspense builds up on how far they can go. And for the coup de grace, they stun the expectant audience with unintentional comedy, as they end their season with one hilarious blunder after another.

What can do they to improve upon this winning plot? That's part of the suspense - you never know what they'll do next! Maybe they'll sign Michael Vick and add a couple of WWE wrestlers to the roster. Maybe Jerry Jones can demote Wade to DC and become the first owner-GM-coach in NFL history. Maybe Jessica dumps Romo and has a threesome with TO and Witten. Bottom line, you just gotta wait and let them surprise you - and they won't disappoint!

T Park
12-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Dallas will be mediocre/bad until Jones A) Gets a hard nosed coach that doesn't take any crap and B) Actually brings in good football minds to work in his front office instead of taking all of the job titles himself.

A is looking bleak and B is never going to happen. Dallas is screwed.

:applause

exactly what I've said.

exstatic
12-30-2008, 02:43 PM
1. Dump TO, and feature Roy Williams (WR). He's been to the Pro Bowl. He's not a cancer.
2. Fire Son of Bum, IMMEDIATELY. If you want fat cheerleaders, hire fat cheerleaders. I think Mangini could probably do a good job.
3. Start Felix Jones. He's a fucking home run hitter.
4. Get rid of Roy Williams (S). He's always been shitty in coverage, but now can barely hit or tackle or blitz anymore.
5. Stop trading high draft picks.

xtremesteven33
12-30-2008, 02:47 PM
new coaching staff should do the trick

Dr. Gonzo
12-30-2008, 03:02 PM
What's there to fix? I love them the way they are. :lmao

mexicanjunior
12-30-2008, 03:41 PM
1.) Fire Wade and hire a coach with some cajones.
2.) Cut TO.
3.) Cut Cory Proctor.
4.) Cut Roy Williams (safety).
5.) Make Choice the starter.
6.) Administer fine policy for all pre-snap penatlies.
7.) Administer fine policy for any media interviews regarding complaints about the team, stats or playing time.
8.) Cut Pacman.
9.) Make Roy Williams (WR) and Miles Austin the starters with Crayton and Hurd as the backups.
10.) Fire Jason Garrett and bring in a new OC that preaches keeping it on the ground.

purist
12-30-2008, 05:38 PM
:applause

exactly what I've said.

Yes. the following scenario is the only way.

Just imagine ....

Jerry Jones, the owner and general manager of the Dallas Cowboys, today announced that he is stepping down as the team's general manager and plans to limit his role in the team's day-to-day football operations. Jones also announced he will begin a search for an experienced general manager to run the Dallas front office so that he can focus his time on marketing the team and its new stadium.

Won't happen, but it's nice to dream.

I Love Me Some Me
12-31-2008, 10:09 AM
I don't know why people keep talking about cutting Roy Williams, like that's going to solve any of the problems the Cowboys saw this season. Williams played in, what, three games? I don't care if they cut him or not, but cutting him doesn't really answer any of the issues the Cowboys have.

I Love Me Some Me
12-31-2008, 10:28 AM
Another thing to remember...if you bring in a new staff, you have to bring someone who can run a 3-4, since all of the Cowboy's personnel up front is suited to that system.

T Park
12-31-2008, 12:41 PM
Another thing to remember...if you bring in a new staff, you have to bring someone who can run a 3-4, since all of the Cowboy's personnel up front is suited to that system.

Not necessarily. You can format a defense to switch between both. I believe some teams are already doing that.

It's imperitive the 'boys get this done quick or the good coaches are gonna be gonzo.

leemajors
12-31-2008, 03:33 PM
finally, someone got fired. Bruce Read has been relieved of his duties.

LakerHater
12-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Get a QB that is not another Danny White!

mexicanjunior
12-31-2008, 05:28 PM
I don't know why people keep talking about cutting Roy Williams, like that's going to solve any of the problems the Cowboys saw this season. Williams played in, what, three games? I don't care if they cut him or not, but cutting him doesn't really answer any of the issues the Cowboys have.

It would clear some space under the cap to sign a player that can contribute...

Also, I think this team could easily switch to a 4-3 and probably be a better team for it. Ware, Ratliff, Tank, and Spencer would make for a very good front 4 and Ellis, Bowen, Hatcher and Spears (FA) would provide nice depth. The 3 LB's would probably be Burnett, James and a FA pickup once Zach Thomas bolts. The move may hurt their pass rush a little but I think would really improve their run defense...