PDA

View Full Version : Our 1st game at the AT&T Center

ElNono
12-30-2008, 12:05 AM
The wife and me were heading down to Texas for the Holidays (the inlaws live here) so we got tickets to see our Spurs play the Grizzlies. We've gone to watch the Spurs before in New Jersey and Philadelphia, but we were pretty excited to be able to watch them at home. We got tickets on section 101, row 6. Got the tunnel where they go in on our right, and the bench right in front. I asked around here and was told this was a good location to try to get something autographed (thanks Kori). While this is correct, it's actually only partially true. Turns out that when we get there, there's a bunch of people leaning against the tunnel, and when we try to go there the security guy tells us only people wearing a color bracelet can be there. So, here we are sitting 4 seats away from the tunnel and we can't be next to the tunnel, while there's a dozen or so people there that don't even have seats in our section. Ridiculous. I've never EVER seen something like that in years going to different arenas. To be honest, we were more shocked than disappointed. At any rate, only Manu and Bonner stopped by and for only about 30 secs anyways. Looked like they were in a hurry somehow.

Luckily, the game turned out to be a thriller. And we had a great time, especially our nephew, who's 11, and was enjoying his first NBA game. The nachos were pretty good too. :)

Overall, it was a fun experience. The AT&T Center looked a bit small compared to other arenas, but that might actually be a plus on some occasions. It was great to look up and see the Championship banners. Definitely something we'll look into doing again with the wife next time we head down to San Antonio.

ElNono
12-30-2008, 12:11 AM
Forgot to add... We were sitting right next to the old guy with the white beard that Duncan talks to before some games. You could tell he was the guy not only because the way he looks, but because he had 2 bad asses rings that not surprisingly looked like NBA Championship rings on his left hand. Those things are bad ass!!!

duncan228
12-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks for sharing. To see them live must be great, to see them at home in a double OT win must have been incredible. Those banners must be something to see in person. Glad you two, and your nephew, had a good time.

angelbelow
12-30-2008, 12:23 AM
nice!

ElNono
12-30-2008, 12:25 AM
Thanks for sharing. To see them live must be great, to see them at home in a double OT win must have been incredible. Those banners must be something to see in person. Glad you two, and your nephew, had a good time.

It was. It got really loud there specially on the overtimes. Plus it was just great to be surrounded by other Spurs fans, something you barely see on games on the road. Plus the Spurs won... good times!

lefty
12-30-2008, 12:29 AM
Forgot to add... We were sitting right next to the old guy with the white beard that Duncan talks to before some games. You could tell he was the guy not only because the way he looks, but because he had 2 bad asses rings that not surprisingly looked like NBA Championship rings on his left hand. Those things are bad ass!!!

Pop?

ElNono
12-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Pop?

I'm pretty sure Pop sits on row 1. Hehehe... I don't know the name of this old dude, but I recall TD talking to him on a few pre-game telecasts...
I hope somebody else knows who I'm talking about...

lefty
12-30-2008, 12:41 AM
I'm pretty sure Pop sits on row 1. Hehehe... I don't know the name of this old dude, but I recall TD talking to him on a few pre-game telecasts...

Maybe Timmy smokes before games, and mistakes him for Popovich, and the old guy is like " wtf ? "

exstatic
12-30-2008, 12:43 AM
Yeah, they've had the wrist band requirement for a while. I think anyone in a lower level seat can get one, but they limit the numbers given out per game.

T Park
12-30-2008, 01:36 AM
Turns out that when we get there, there's a bunch of people leaning against the tunnel, and when we try to go there the security guy tells us only people wearing a color bracelet can be there. So, here we are sitting 4 seats away from the tunnel and we can't be next to the tunnel, while there's a dozen or so people there that don't even have seats in our section. Ridiculous. I've never EVER seen something like that in years going to different arenas. To be honest, we were more shocked than disappointed. At any rate, only Manu and Bonner stopped by and for only about 30 secs anyways. Looked like they were in a hurry somehow

Because in the past there were MOB like crowds that gathered around that tunnel and the players would get moans and some heckles for when they were done signing and ready to go into the locker room.

Had to start limiting it somehow..

m33p0
12-30-2008, 06:29 AM
The wife and me were heading down to Texas for the Holidays (the inlaws live here) so we got tickets to see our Spurs play the Grizzlies. We've gone to watch the Spurs before in New Jersey and Philadelphia, but we were pretty excited to be able to watch them at home. We got tickets on section 101, row 6. Got the tunnel where they go in on our right, and the bench right in front. I asked around here and was told this was a good location to try to get something autographed (thanks Kori). While this is correct, it's actually only partially true. Turns out that when we get there, there's a bunch of people leaning against the tunnel, and when we try to go there the security guy tells us only people wearing a color bracelet can be there. So, here we are sitting 4 seats away from the tunnel and we can't be next to the tunnel, while there's a dozen or so people there that don't even have seats in our section. Ridiculous. I've never EVER seen something like that in years going to different arenas. To be honest, we were more shocked than disappointed. At any rate, only Manu and Bonner stopped by and for only about 30 secs anyways. Looked like they were in a hurry somehow.

Luckily, the game turned out to be a thriller. And we had a great time, especially our nephew, who's 11, and was enjoying his first NBA game. The nachos were pretty good too. :)

Overall, it was a fun experience. The AT&T Center looked a bit small compared to other arenas, but that might actually be a plus on some occasions. It was great to look up and see the Championship banners. Definitely something we'll look into doing again with the wife next time we head down to San Antonio.
ah... then everything is fine. :king

tonylongoriafan
12-30-2008, 10:50 AM

been a season ticket holder for 11 years...when i see posts like this i feel like shit because i didn't go to the memphis game...you know, the holidays a bunch of stuff going on...i wasn't gonna go to the bucks game tonight but you guys have inspired me.

koriwhat
12-30-2008, 11:54 AM

bald guy who is always standing and cheering and shown on the jumbo tron at all games? i see that fool all the time... old man cheerleader. if that's the guy.

btw i was at that game too.

koriwhat
12-30-2008, 11:56 AM
been a season ticket holder for 11 years...when i see posts like this i feel like shit because i didn't go to the memphis game...you know, the holidays a bunch of stuff going on...i wasn't gonna go to the bucks game tonight but you guys have inspired me.

how can you pay for season tickets and not go? my boss does the same thing and he has tickets for row8 behind the visitors bench. it just boggles my mind.

duncan228
12-30-2008, 02:17 PM

Have fun at the game.

I don't see anything to feel bad about. You support the team by buying season tickets. Having never seen them live I wouldn't care who they were playing and would drop anything I was doing to get there. But I can see how 41 games a season could let you be selective in which ones you go to.

Just be sure to cheer loud for those of us that can't be there when you do go. :)

urunobili
12-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Have fun at the game.

I don't see anything to feel bad about. You support the team by buying season tickets. Having never seen them live I wouldn't care who they were playing and would drop anything I was doing to get there. But I can see how 41 games a season could let you be selective in which ones you go to.

Just be sure to cheer loud for those of us that can't be there when you do go. :)

duncan228, so you never even tried to go to the STAPLES in one of the many times we go there per year? why haven't you been able to go?

Taco
12-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Sweet!!!

Have a great time!!!

lefty
12-30-2008, 02:47 PM
duncan228, so you never even tried to go to the STAPLES in one of the many times we go there per year? why haven't you been able to go?

Because she's a Spurs fan :depressed

duncan228
12-30-2008, 03:02 PM

Money and my own fussiness.

I want decent seats, I want to see Duncan's game, down to his footwork. Staples nosebleeds are really nosebleeds, and the big screens won't help much because they focus on the home team.

The Spurs are one of the 'premium' priced games for the Lakers, can't touch even halfway decent seats.

I've tried a couple of times for the Clippers but it hasn't worked out yet.

There's something to be said for just getting in the building and I may have to settle for that. Seeing Duncan play live is my biggest personal wish. I don't want to miss him before he retires.

tonylongoriafan
12-30-2008, 05:20 PM
how can you pay for season tickets and not go? my boss does the same thing and he has tickets for row8 behind the visitors bench. it just boggles my mind.

i can count the number of games missed in 11 years on my hands and toes and most of them have been due to weddings, funerals, births, etc.

one that standouts to me was the 2007 first round playoffs against the suns. i missed game 1 of the series because i was graduating from grad school, when i graduated from undergrad in 2004 i was at the game the same night...but my freakin family had a heart burn with it and did the whole party thing...i'm still a little pissed by it.

i live in the sticks and it takes 30-40 minutes to get to the phone booth...if it's not a weekend game or i don't have someone to go with me who lives near me it's kind of a hassle finding someone, picking them up, dropping them off...i help operate a business, i'm at my desk at 7am nearly everday...

...but everything thing else i plan around the spurs schedule, cowboys games, longhorns games, nascar trips, and other vacations...i'll make most games, even if i fly solo (which i've done on more than one occassion this season)