PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Injured Spurs Closer To Returning

duncan228
12-30-2008, 01:51 AM
Injured Spurs closer to returning (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Injured_Spurs_closer_to_returning.html)
By Mike Monroe

The Spurs have been getting by with only two legitimate post players for nearly two weeks, but help could be on the way soon, and in pairs.

Both Fabricio Oberto, sidelined by a sore left foot since Dec. 17, and Ian Mahinmi, whose sore right ankle has kept him from suiting up since he was called up from the Austin Toros on Dec. 2, participated in scripted offensive and defensive drills when the team practiced Monday.

“They participated in shooting drills and scripted offense, and a little bit of defense,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, “but they didn't have contact.”

Popovich offered no prediction as to when either player might be back in uniform to provide some inside muscle behind Tim Duncan and Kurt Thomas.

“When somebody tells me they're ready,” he said, “I'll know they're close.”

Making perfect: The Spurs hadn't practiced since Dec. 16, the last time they had more than a day off between games. Popovich was happy to have an opportunity to do some teaching.

“It's always great to have a practice,” he said. “In the NBA, they're few and far between. To be able to teach a little bit is great. At least it makes you feel as if you're doing what you're supposed to do.”

Sympathy pains: Popovich said he could feel the pain of the Dallas Cowboys, eliminated from the NFL playoff picture on Sunday when they were embarrassed by the Philadelphia Eagles 44-6.

“I don't think anyone cares what my thoughts on the Cowboys are,” he said, “but I feel for them. If you've coached, or played sports, you know the feeling. It's not a good one, so I feel for them.”

Bruce Bowen, the Spurs' No. 1 Cowboys fan, said the demise of his favorite NFL team offered lessons for the Spurs and anyone else who understands what produces sports success.

“It's very disappointing,” Bowen said of Sunday's painful showing by his favorites, “but character wins out over talent any day, at least in my book. You can see how infectious certain characters can be down the end of the road.”

Bowen declined to name which of the Cowboys characters he considered “infectious,” but he made it clear he believed the Cowboys were doomed by self-centered players.

“In sports, we're constantly telling kids that you have to have the right attitude,” he said, “and this is something that magnifies when you don't have a team-first mentality.”

Chieflion
12-30-2008, 01:54 AM
Finally, help for the inside. We been waiting.

Manufan909
12-30-2008, 02:19 AM
Finally, help for the inside. We been waiting.

Be prepared to keep waiting for the frontline to be whole, if you consider Ian to be part of the equation. He is now an outside variable for me, so if he is sighted in the silver and black before I turn 20(Feb 15), I will be amazed.

m33p0
12-30-2008, 02:21 AM
i'm holding out hope until i see them, especially ian, on the floor on game day.

tp2021
12-30-2008, 02:22 AM
It's a good thing Ian only has 2 ankles.

Chieflion
12-30-2008, 02:27 AM
Just trying to be optimistic, Ian should play better than Tolliver.

m33p0
12-30-2008, 02:28 AM
Just trying to be optimistic, Ian should play better than Tolliver.
if he could ever play, that is.

bigdog
12-30-2008, 02:28 AM
well it's good to hear they are at least working out a bit harder.

angelbelow
12-30-2008, 02:34 AM
i jst want to see ian out there, at this point i just want to know what kind of player he is. whether hes an impactful player or a bust... i just want to know!

T Park
12-30-2008, 02:39 AM
Bruce Bowen as always spot on.

Bruce could be my favorite Spur.

JPB
12-30-2008, 05:59 AM
I thought the savior would come for the 25th of december...

Anyway, it's gonna be exciting to see what Ian can do.
It might be a good think that he will return with SA in a better position now than the beginning of the season.

He'll have more time and less pressure to show what he can (hopefully) do.

urunobili
12-30-2008, 06:13 AM
Bruce Bowen as always spot on.

Bruce could be my favorite Spur.

what doesn't make him be if i may ask?

Brazil
12-30-2008, 06:50 AM
Injured Spurs closer to returning (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Injured_Spurs_closer_to_returning.html)
By Mike Monroe

The Spurs have been getting by with only two legitimate post players for nearly two weeks, but help could be on the way soon, and in pairs.

Both Fabricio Oberto, sidelined by a sore left foot since Dec. 17, and Ian Mahinmi, whose sore right ankle has kept him from suiting up since he was called up from the Austin Toros on Dec. 2, participated in scripted offensive and defensive drills when the team practiced Monday.

“They participated in shooting drills and scripted offense, and a little bit of defense,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, “but they didn't have contact.”

Popovich offered no prediction as to when either player might be back in uniform to provide some inside muscle behind Tim Duncan and Kurt Thomas.

“When somebody tells me they're ready,” he said, “I'll know they're close.”

Maybe I'm too optimistic but it sounds quite good, I hope we can see what Ian can do soon.

WalterBenitez
12-30-2008, 07:06 AM
I am very sad about cowboys, I miss those championship days

mrspurs
12-30-2008, 07:20 AM
We all know what Fab brings to the court. But for to long we have waited to see what Ian has got. Maybe we will get to see him play next year. As for now lets finish the season on a roll.

polandprzem
12-30-2008, 07:20 AM
what doesn't make him be if i may ask?

TPark is just unsure

as always :)

polandprzem
12-30-2008, 07:23 AM
btw. Hopefully Ian will be ready in mid January
We need to know who he is in NBA

Good for Fab though - giving us some additional options on "normal-size ball" :)

sonic21
12-30-2008, 07:38 AM
Show us what you can do, Ian. :hungry:

timvp
12-30-2008, 08:02 AM
That's a misleading article title. Obviously everyday that passes is a day closer to the return of Mahinmi but Pop didn't indicate anything positive about his recovery process. Status quo.

Brazil
12-30-2008, 08:07 AM
That's a misleading article title. Obviously everyday that passes is a day closer to the return of Mahinmi but Pop didn't indicate anything positive about his recovery process. Status quo.

:depressed

JPB
12-30-2008, 08:16 AM

Looks quite encouraging to me.

Bruno
12-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Mahinmi played 2 vs 2 with contact 2 weeks ago. I don't see how practicing without contact is a step in the right direction. And he still hasn't a timetable for his return. :depressed Mahinmi's recovery is quite a mystery to me.

Oberto will be needed in the second half of January when Spurs will have a lot of games. If he can be back in two weeks, it will be perfect.

Bender
12-30-2008, 09:33 AM
so Oberto's official medical diagnosis is "sore foot" ?

JPB
12-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Mahinmi played 2 vs 2 with contact 2 weeks ago. I don't see how practicing without contact is a step in the right direction. And he still hasn't a timetable for his return. :depressed Mahinmi's recovery is quite a mystery to me.

Oberto will be needed in the second half of January when Spurs will have a lot of games. If he can be back in two weeks, it will be perfect.

Well, the fact that he went from 2 on 2 to participate with the all team to scripted offense and defense is notable. Even if it's whitout contact, which is understandable because they probably don't want to take any risk.

hater
12-30-2008, 09:54 AM

that is an improvement. At least Pop did not indicate anything negative about Ian this time. good news

SenorSpur
12-30-2008, 10:23 AM
I'll be willing to bet that Oberto hits the floor before Ian. In the meantime, I'm not putting too much stock in Ian's pending debut. I'll believe it when I see it.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-30-2008, 10:37 AM
I am very sad about cowboys, I miss those championship days

what did you expect when the QB chokes in big dick, even if they made the playoffs Romo would have just continued his legacy as the NFL's T-Mac and lost to the Vikings.

mexicanjunior
12-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Sympathy pains: Popovich said he could feel the pain of the Dallas Cowboys, eliminated from the NFL playoff picture on Sunday when they were embarrassed by the Philadelphia Eagles 44-6.

“I don't think anyone cares what my thoughts on the Cowboys are,” he said, “but I feel for them. If you've coached, or played sports, you know the feeling. It's not a good one, so I feel for them.”

Bruce Bowen, the Spurs' No. 1 Cowboys fan, said the demise of his favorite NFL team offered lessons for the Spurs and anyone else who understands what produces sports success.

“It's very disappointing,” Bowen said of Sunday's painful showing by his favorites, “but character wins out over talent any day, at least in my book. You can see how infectious certain characters can be down the end of the road.”

Bowen declined to name which of the Cowboys characters he considered “infectious,” but he made it clear he believed the Cowboys were doomed by self-centered players.

“In sports, we're constantly telling kids that you have to have the right attitude,” he said, “and this is something that magnifies when you don't have a team-first mentality.”

Bowen made me love him that much more with his Cowboys analysis...