PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: History Warns: Bucks Are Dangerous

duncan228
12-30-2008, 01:58 AM
I wasn't sure if this should go in the preview thread. It seems to be a conversation by itself. Please move if needed. :)

History warns: Bucks are dangerous (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/History_warns_Bucks_are_dangerous.html)
By Mike Monroe

Practitioners of the equine pari-mutuel arts have a saying: Horses for courses.

Certain thoroughbreds, it seems, have an affinity for a particular surface, distance or race track. It pays to know when, and where, such circumstances occur.

The bromide appears to have some relevance in the NBA, as well, which helps to explain why Spurs coach Gregg Popovich approaches tonight's game against the Milwaukee Bucks with what he calls appropriate fear.

The Bucks may bring a mediocre, 14-17 record into the AT&T Center against the 20-10, Southwest Division-leading Spurs, but history tells Popovich to be wary.

Through the past 10-plus seasons, the Bucks have been an enigmatic nemesis for the Spurs. Beginning with the 1998-99 season, the Spurs have won 579 games and lost only 239, a win percentage of 70.8 that makes them the most successful pro sports franchise in North America over that time frame. They have won four NBA titles during the same period.

Over the same span, their record against the Bucks, who are 384-435 since the 1998-99 season, is 8-11.

Four times, the Bucks swept the season series against the Spurs, including the 2006-07 season that ended with the Spurs hoisting the Larry O'Brien Trophy.

“Milwaukee is one of the teams in the league that has given us the most trouble, historically,” Popovich said after Monday's practice session. “They have had their way with us many times, so I think they'll be coming in quite confidently.”

Freshest in Popovich's memory bank of Milwaukee misery is an 82-78 loss on Nov. 19. Only twice this season have the Spurs scored fewer points.

“We'll have to lace them up and be ready,” Popovich said, “because we have not done a good job with Milwaukee.”

Under new coach Scott Skiles, the Bucks are decidedly more dedicated to defense than in recent years. Skiles is not unlike Popovich in many respects, including being a stickler for detail.

“Coach Skiles is going to have them aggressive, disciplined and tough mentally,” Popovich said. “Then, add the talent and athleticism, and that makes for a tough situation for us.”

Milwaukee's top scorer, Michael Redd, a member of the gold medal-winning U.S. Olympic team this past summer, has been joined on the perimeter by Richard Jefferson, another scoring threat who has been the Bucks' top point producer 11 times this season.

“Michael Redd and Richard Jefferson are playing really well,” said Spurs defensive ace Bruce Bowen, who is apt to get a turn defending each of the high-scoring Bucks. “Those guys are coming together, playing hard, and they're really defending well. It will be imperative for us to pay attention to detail, play good transition defense and guard that 3-point line.”

Redd has not shot the ball as well from long range this season as he has in seasons past, making only 31 of 92 3-point attempts (33.7 percent). Nevertheless, Spurs guard Roger Mason Jr., ranked second in 3-point accuracy this season, is aware of Redd's scoring history.

“He's got a great shot,” said Mason, “and they give him a lot of touches. We've got to be on our horse defensively. We have to be aware of his All-Star type of talent. It's always fun going against guys like that.”

m33p0
12-30-2008, 02:06 AM
they have that voodoo magic that disrupts the spurs' mojo. it's weird.

MI21
12-30-2008, 03:26 AM
The ability of previous Milwaukee teams to hit the midrange jumpshot has been what killed the Spurs. Traditionally the Spurs defend the 3 well, eliminate the corner 3 and defend the rim well. The midrange jumper is a lost art throughout most of the NBA over the last decade or so, and the Spurs know that and don't mind giving up tough angled mid range J's.

Over the years the Bucks have had Glenn Robinson, Ray Allen, Sam Cassell, Michael Redd, Mo Williams, Tim Thomas etc etc who are all fantastic 13-19ft jumpshooters.. I'm probably forgetting some people as well.

Also, recently, Bogut also seems to play the Spurs particularly well, it seems like every game against the Spurs he gets 10-15pts and 10-15 rebounds.

Despite the record this will be a tough game.

timvp
12-30-2008, 03:31 AM
The ability of previous Milwaukee teams to hit the midrange jumpshot has been what killed the Spurs. Exactly. It's not really a coincidence that the Bucks have played the Spurs well over the years. The Spurs try to force teams to shoot midrange jumpers but those are actually the shots the Bucks have preferred over the years.

Blackjack
12-30-2008, 03:38 AM
The ability of previous Milwaukee teams to hit the midrange jumpshot has been what killed the Spurs. Traditionally the Spurs defend the 3 well, eliminate the corner 3 and defend the rim well. The midrange jumper is a lost art throughout most of the NBA over the last decade or so, and the Spurs know that and don't mind giving up tough angled mid range J's.

Over the years the Bucks have had Glenn Robinson, Ray Allen, Sam Cassell, Michael Redd, Mo Williams, Tim Thomas etc etc who are all fantastic 13-19ft jumpshooters.. I'm probably forgetting some people as well.

Also, recently, Bogut also seems to play the Spurs particularly well, it seems like every game against the Spurs he gets 10-15pts and 10-15 rebounds.

Very solid post.:tu

baseline bum
12-30-2008, 04:33 AM

Seemed like Glenn Robinson would have his best two games of the season against us every year. I'm not quite as worried about Richard Jefferson and Luc MBah a Moute hitting those shots though. :lol

Spurs Brazil
12-30-2008, 08:02 AM
Seemed like Glenn Robinson would have his best two games of the season against us every year. I'm not quite as worried about Richard Jefferson and Luc MBah a Moute hitting those shots though. :lol

But we need to do a good job on the boards. Bogut killed us in the 1st game this season

m33p0
12-30-2008, 08:06 AM
spurs need to stamp their AUTHORITAE! in this game!

Solid D
12-30-2008, 10:58 AM

Very true, MI21, as usual. The last time the Spurs met the Bucks, up at the Bradley Center, the Bucks used Ramon Sessions to knock down those mid-range shots to beat the Spurs.

Timmy usually gets really frustrated when he plays Bogut. Andrew's size bothers Tim. Andrew is one of the most over-indulgent floppers in the league today, so the foul trouble can be an issue. A taste of his own medicine would be a good strategy, perhaps with Kurt Thomas drawing fouls on Bogut. Bogut must not be allowed to stand in there, pushing and shoving for 7 offensive rebounds again.

One other thing the Spurs must do is handle the high screen rolls that produce those points in the paint, including the little 9-12 footers when the bigs switch the screens. I remember a couple of years ago, the Spurs were really soft and lazy on the screen/rolls and Redd and Mo Williams and Bogut just killed the Spurs. Something like 76 points in the paint. The Spurs must play hard-nosed and switch strong with good recovery to close-out.

One more "Must" for this game is Tony Parker HAS to be aggressive the entire game. The Spurs must go to the line early and often and get the Bucks on their heels.

pjjrfan
12-30-2008, 12:28 PM
I always thought it was the Big Dog, Ray Ray, and Cassell that made the Bucks so tough on the Spurs but since they left the Bucks keep finding ways to beat the Spurs. It's just one of those wierd match-ups for the Spurs.

SenorSpur
12-30-2008, 12:32 PM
I would suspect Udoka could see significant action in this game.

peskypesky
12-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Bogut is a major problem now. He beasts against Spurs. Almost seems to have a grudge against us.

td4mvp21
12-30-2008, 01:25 PM
The Spurs are two losses ahead of the 4-8 seeds and only 1 loss behind the second seed. They really need to capitalize on these shit teams we are playing. A two game lead isn't much but in the West I'll definitely take it.

SenorSpur
12-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Bogut is a major problem now. He beasts against Spurs. Almost seems top have a grudge against us.

It's funny that I hardly ever see Bogut making Bucks highlights. Yet, his built a career of highlight plays of the Spurs. He's absolutely killed the Spurs in previous games with a veritable assortment of low-post baskets, offensive rebounds, second-chance putbacks and alley-oops (yes, those kind).

For some reason, he looks like a totally different player versus the Spurs. Perhaps, it the matchup with Duncan. It might help if they try and keep him off the boards and limit his paint scoring. Easier said than done.

pawe
12-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Bucks' voodoo strikes again.
'08-'09 season sweep...

peskypesky
12-30-2008, 11:56 PM
Bogut is a major problem now. He beasts against Spurs. Almost seems to have a grudge against us.

that peskypesky sure knows what he's talking about.

SpursDynasty
12-31-2008, 12:03 AM
Okay.. so over the last 10 seasons Milwaukee has had our number. Do they always just have a lineup that gives up problems? Is there a certain core lineup in Milwaukee that has been there for a while and has given us problems?

Because I think it is just a coincidence.

Budkin
12-31-2008, 12:04 AM
The Brewers beat us again.

HarlemHeat37
12-31-2008, 12:06 AM
it is just a coincidence..

there's nothing that can be pointed out with analysis, because the Bucks have been beating us with a different core, different coaches, and just a different team for years now..

Sean Cagney
12-31-2008, 12:07 AM
Pummeled by the damn BUCKS again, GO FIGURE!!!!!!! DAMN.

BTW It's coincidence like someone said, except for the early 00's BUCKS who the Spurs had real trouble with and swept them several season series in a row, with Allen, Cassel and Glenn, that team gave us major problems. I am sure if the Spurs would just meet them in a series they would end it! LOL I am positive infact, but a game here and there is tough to prepare for and it is coincidence, just something that happens it seems since the early 00's teams.