PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine O'Neal?

bigfan
12-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Saw there was a rumor he wanted out of Toronto. Could we steal this guy for Mahinmi or Bonner + a pinerider?

SenorSpur
12-30-2008, 12:29 PM
As injury-prone as he has been, my first question would be why?

Next, what has he done over the past couple of seasons that would make him attractive enough to sacrifice a young, athletic, 21-year old, PF/C?

Finally, if J-O can't work with Bosh, what makes you think he will work with Duncan?

eisfeld
12-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Even a Troll should know how trades work:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FjCclbkwL.jpg

Check his salary ;)

spursfaninla
12-30-2008, 12:31 PM
anyone heard of the salary cap? The salaries are WAAAAAYYYY off.

dbestpro
12-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Saw there was a rumor he wanted out of Toronto. Could we steal this guy for Mahinmi or Bonner + a pinerider?

Sigh, O'Neal makes 21.3 mil. Your package would have to equal at least 19.2 mil.

Bonner 3.9 mil
Ian 1 mil
You need to add 14.2 mil in salary. The rest of the pine not including Manu makes about 12 mil. total.

T Park
12-30-2008, 12:32 PM
anyone heard of common sense?

pjjrfan
12-30-2008, 12:39 PM
He got hurt last night and he looked uninspired, alhtough he has had a good run in the last couple of games, the announcers were talking about him getting injured again.

m33p0
12-30-2008, 12:41 PM
He got hurt last night and he looked uninspired, alhtough he has had a good run in the last couple of games, the announcers were talking about him getting injured again.
i'm pretty i've heard that before. :lol

jag
12-30-2008, 12:50 PM
As injury-prone as he has been, my first question would be why?
Next, what has he done over the past couple of seasons that would make him attractive enough to sacrifice a young, athletic, 21-year old, PF/C?

Finally, if J-O can't work with Bosh, what makes you think he will work with Duncan?

I don't really like when people start bringing up how unimpressive O'Neal is. Please take a look at what the Spurs are working with right now, it's pretty bad.

And yes i would trade an injury prone, athletic, unproven Mahinmi for O'Neal.

EDIT: I realize this trade idea is completey unrealistic and financially impossible. I argue only for the principal of the thing.

Dr. Gonzo
12-30-2008, 12:51 PM
anyone heard of common sense?

You forgot to tell this person to go back to Spurs Report.

ploto
12-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Saw there was a rumor he wanted out of Toronto
Same song- different verse.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Even a Troll should know how trades work:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FjCclbkwL.jpg

Check his salary ;)

:lmao

SenorSpur
12-30-2008, 01:34 PM
I don't really like when people start bringing up how unimpressive O'Neal is. Please take a look at what the Spurs are working with right now, it's pretty bad.

EDIT: I realize this trade idea is completey unrealistic and financially impossible. I argue only for the principal of the thing.

In terms of what marginal help Tim has right now, your point is well-taken about what the Spurs are rolling out there every night. However the fact remains that O'Neal is and has been unimpressive and uninspired. Whether you like it or not, it's the truth. Besides, his salary would prohibit such a scenario. So what's the point?

T Park
12-30-2008, 01:35 PM

I was reprimanded for that and have decided to holster that one.

T Park
12-30-2008, 01:36 PM
:lol

You people really really have short memories when it comes to "little help" next to Duncan.

Go back and look at what Robinson had next to him in the middle 90s...

SpursFanFirst
12-30-2008, 02:11 PM

I'd rather take an unproven with a possibility than a player who has proven to be pretty much useless over the years.
Did you ever watch him with the Pacers or now with the Raptors?
What in the world would ever make you want to take a chance on him?
And yes, I know it was hypothetical, but still.

SenorSpur
12-30-2008, 02:18 PM
I'd rather take an unproven with a possibility than a player who has proven to be pretty much useless over the years.
Did you ever watch him with the Pacers or now with the Raptors?
What in the world would ever make you want to take a chance on him?

Amen!

Love that avatar of Pop with the two thumbs up :tu

sonic21
12-30-2008, 02:23 PM

You people really really have short memories when it comes to "little help" next to Duncan.

you can't blame them, some of them weren't born yet.

exstatic
12-30-2008, 02:25 PM
O'Neal puts up numbers acceptable for someone that makes probably 50-55% of what he does. For the money and production cross matrix, our current guys kick his ass. Need shooting? Put in Matt. Rebounds? Kurt. Hustle and passing? Fab. Individually, none of them stand out, but if you look at Kurt Oberto-Bonner, he's pretty impressive for like $9-10M. You get 14p/12r, close to 50% FG, great passing, hustle, and 3 point shooting. O'Neal is scoring 14p/7.3r, 46% FG, no hustle, no 3pt shooting, huge contract and always injured. He can only play about 30 minutes, so he's going to have to be part of a center rotation anyway. You're going to have to pay him $20M per season, AND someone else big man's money to spell him for ~ 20 minutes a night, plus injury time off.

baseline bum
12-30-2008, 02:37 PM
I wouldn't trade Buford for O'Neal, much less someone worth anything to the team.

jag
12-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Did you ever watch him with the Pacers or now with the Raptors? What in the world would ever make you want to take a chance on him?

Well i figure we've probably got about 3 more seasons to possibly win another championship. Taking into account that timeframe....O'neal > what we have now at the C.

And no, i wouldnt trade any of the big three for him.I was merely comparing his talent/playmaking to what we have now.

I realize what Robinson had...that's why the Spurs didn't win shit until he got Duncan. I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here.

Duncan has tons of help...he's got 2 other all stars with him. You'll be hard pressed to find someone who doesnt think he has good help, but that doesn't mean you can't improve.

ClingingMars
12-30-2008, 04:01 PM

bigfan
12-30-2008, 04:17 PM
He's a free agent at the end of the season and I was thinking more along the lines of a sign and trade. Just a general question. For those with smartass responses, blow it out your ass.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-30-2008, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't trade Buford for O'Neal, much less someone worth anything to the team.

Are you saying Buford isn't valuable to the Spurs?

angelbelow
12-30-2008, 04:35 PM
nice try, but you should learn basic rules and regulations regarding trades first.

WalterBenitez
12-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Do we need a body guard or what? Stephen + Jermaine, that would be a good pounch, right?

Austin_Toros
12-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Do we need a body guard or what? Stephen + Jermaine, that would be a good pounch, right?

spurs would become the most badass team :lol

but no, i do not want jermaine

mystargtr34
12-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Jermaine O'Neal is still a top 5 shot blocker in the league, rebounds at a pretty good clip and can still put up 15+ PPG. Hes never been the most efficient scorer, but in a reduced role and on a lesser contract i would take him in an absolute heart beat.

Not everyone can come from a Christian background, play 82 games a year and be an NBA Champion.

Most people here break water when people say trade Manu who at best plays about 65-70 games a year, many of those at about 70% on heavy scheduled parts of the season. Yet there is no way a 'cancer' and a 'useless', 'injury prone' 7 foot shotblocking, rebounding and post scoring Center could help out the Spurs.

Just dont whinge when Mahinmi gets sent back down to the D-League, Bonner goes back to being Bonner, Oberto continues to rival Lisa Leslie as the best female Center in basketball and Kurt Thomas is on the bench for 40 minutes a game because he cant defend the 4's.

God Damn.

jag
12-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Oberto continues to rival Lisa Leslie as the best female Center in basketball

:lmao

ploto
12-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Jermaine O'Neal is still a top 5 shot blocker in the league, rebounds at a pretty good clip and can still put up 15+ PPG. Hes never been the most efficient scorer, but in a reduced role and on a lesser contract i would take him in an absolute heart beat.

Not everyone can come from a Christian background, play 82 games a year and be an NBA Champion.

Most people here break water when people say trade Manu who at best plays about 65-70 games a year, many of those at about 70% on heavy scheduled parts of the season. Yet there is no way a 'cancer' and a 'useless', 'injury prone' 7 foot shotblocking, rebounding and post scoring Center could help out the Spurs.

Not an option

mystargtr34
12-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Not an option

Expires after this year doesnt it?

ploto
12-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Expires after this year doesnt it?

No. This year and the next= $44 M.

mystargtr34
12-30-2008, 11:18 PM
No. This year and the next= $44 M.

Ah ok. I should research more.

Obviously the only way the Spurs would make a play, and they would, was if he was a FA.

Rapper
12-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Jermaine O'Neal sucks

And I remember that this guy doesn't like Duncan at all.

once a reporter asked him that which 5 big men in the league are the top 5. JO answered that Shaq,KG,Webber,R-Wallace and himself

Chieflion
12-30-2008, 11:28 PM
spurs would become the most badass team :lol

but no, i do not want jermaine

Nope, the Detroit Pistons is the most badass team if they aquire Ron Artest.
They would lead the league in most technical fouls per game, missed practices, and brawls in a season.