PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Jermaine O Neal on the way out in Toronto

layupdrill
12-30-2008, 01:16 PM
The World Famous Layup Drill RumorMill
12/30/08
Word leaked out over the weekend that the Celtics were looking at bringing in Joe Smith to the fold, either by trade or if he was bought out from the OKC Thunder. Now it seems other teams in the East are interested as well. The Toronto Sun reports that Joe Smith may be the most coveted veteran forward since….Antonio McDyess about six weeks ago. Interest in Miami, Orlando, and Toronto has been expressed for the former number 1 overall pick out of Maryland. Unlike Boston, the Thunder may get more in return for Smith via a trade from the Magic or Raptors. Stay Tuned…
Toronto may be interested in trading for Joe Smith because Jermaine O’Neal could be on the trading block. The Oregonian is reporting today that Toronto may be ready to give up on the O’Neal/Bosh front line experiment. When asked about the possibility of a trade, O’Neal said to reporters, “I don’t worry about that stuff.” What team would possibly look at bringing the veteran whose skills seem to be on the decline? Quite a few according to insiders, even though some will be scared off by O’Neals bloated $44 Million dollars owed over this season and next. It’s amazing to think at one time(Summer 2007), two of the three best teams in the league(Cavs and Lakers) were willing to give up draft picks and multiple players to Indiana for O’Neal. Now, the Raptors will be lucky to get a first round pick or an expiring contract of an equally overpaid player.

In other news, The St Paul Pioneer Press reported late Monday night a crazy trade rumor involving bringing back one of Minnesota’s biggest stars in franchise history. The rumor had the Wolves sending Rashad McCants and Sebastian Telfair to the New York Knicks for Stephon Marbury. Theres no word on whether Marbury would welcome a return to Minnesota to play for the lowly Wolves, but Minnesota has been interested in moving McCants all season. The Bobcats were once thought to be a destination, but those talks have cooled.

In an update to a story that broke yesterday about Baron Davis wanting out of Golden State, Davis denied the reports from former teammate Stephen Jackson that he said he wanted to be a Warrior again. The LA Times reports this morning that Davis said flat out “No..I dont want out”, when asked after practice about the story.

http://layupdrill.com/2008/12/jermaine-o-neal-out-in-toronto/

DANILO DRASKOVIC
12-30-2008, 01:30 PM
O'neal and Tinsley are both available

JamStone
12-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Here you go, Laker fans. This is your chance.

Lamar Odom and Vladimir Radmanovic for Jermaine O'Neal.

layupdrill
12-30-2008, 01:42 PM
O'neal and Tinsley are both available
Yeah the Pacers youth movement is in full effect:lol

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Dallas has a better shot at trading Erica Dampier than Toronto does at moving Oneal.

jacobdrj
12-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Do the Clippers still have cap space? Perhaps the Bobcats?

DrHouse
12-30-2008, 02:02 PM
I would not trade LO for JO.

SpursFanFirst
12-30-2008, 02:05 PM
I have never understood the appeal of O'Neal...maybe if he wasn't such a china doll.
But he spends more time injured than actually doing something for the team.

JamStone
12-30-2008, 02:21 PM
I have never understood the appeal of O'Neal...maybe if he wasn't such a china doll.
But he spends more time injured than actually doing something for the team.

You just answered your own dilemma. When he isn't hurt, he's proven to be a 20/10 caliber type player. There's appeal for that even if the player is injury prone.

baseline bum
12-30-2008, 02:59 PM
You just answered your own dilemma. When he isn't hurt, he's proven to be a 20/10 caliber type player. There's appeal for that even if the player is injury prone.

In the season where he was #3 in MVP balloting, he still only shot an Olowokandi-esque 43%. I've never understand the hard-on lots of Spurs fans had for Jermaine even before he became Bowie 2.0.

Findog
12-30-2008, 03:00 PM
I wouldn't trade Damp for O'Neal. Damp has many faults, but always being injured isn't one of them.

monosylab1k
12-30-2008, 03:37 PM
In the season where he was #3 in MVP balloting, he still only shot an Olowokandi-esque 43%. I've never understand the hard-on lots of Spurs fans had for Jermaine even before he became Bowie 2.0.

Yeah I always had the same opinion of him. For a "dominant" post player, he sure misses a lot of shots. I wanted to throw up when I heard rumors last year of the Mavs being interested in him.

ploto
12-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Should have kept Rasho. :D

SpursFanFirst
12-30-2008, 04:26 PM

First of all, I said MAYBE...
But even then, I don't see it. When he DID play, he wasn't spectacular...what he was was WAY OVERPAID.

I still can't believe the Pacers found a sucker to take him.

angelbelow
12-30-2008, 04:49 PM
i would be SHOCKED if the raptors somehow traded JO this season. 2 years 44 million??

layupdrill
12-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Thats there problem. You would have to be willing to take on $44 mill...

Chieflion
12-31-2008, 01:04 AM
And get 22 million worth of capspace in 2010. I love that idea but not as a Spurs fan. For the Knicks.