PDA

View Full Version : When will Manu and Tim retire?

Illusionarist
12-30-2008, 05:32 PM
This is a theme that bothers me. I cannot imagine NBA without them. So, when do you think they will retire:(?? I think they have some years in front of them.

xtremesteven33
12-30-2008, 05:33 PM
When Pop retires

Galileo
12-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Tim will retire after the 2016/2017 season, his 20th season. In that season, he will average 10 points and 7 rebounds, and be a major role-player in the Spurs 7th NBA championship.

honestfool84
12-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Tim will retire after the 2016/2017 season, his 20th season. In that season, he will average 10 points and 7 rebounds, and be a major role-player in the Spurs 7th NBA championship.

:wow.

who (besides parker) will be a major player?

Reck
12-30-2008, 05:39 PM

Wow..that's an oftly long time.

I give Tim about 3 more years. And Manu will probably follow suit when Pop and Tim retire.

duncan228
12-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Duncan is signed through 2012. I'm always in the minority on this, but I think he retires at the end of this contract. He'll be 36, his resume is incredible now, his kids will still be fairly young. I think he'll have had enough of the grind and go out while he still has a game.

I think Pop, whose current gig is also up in 2012, goes out with Duncan.

I have no clue what to think about Manu.

I hope I'm wrong and Duncan plays as long as his game holds up, but I really think he's done with this contract.

Kent_in_Atlanta
12-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Pat Riley recently commented, "Duncan reminds me a lot of Kareem… Kareem wasn't a physical center, he was a finesse center. And he played until he was 41 years old.''

Unless the injury bug bites hard in the years ahead, Duncan will likely have a career arc quite similar to that of Kareem Abdul Jabbar or fellow Power Forward great, Karl Malone… both of whom averaged 20+ plus points and nearly 10 rebounds per game all the way through their late 30’s.

Barring injury trouble, I expect Tim to be one of the better big men in the NBA for at least another 5 seasons, and I doubt he'll retire before age 40.

As for Manu... health is always the question there. That's the negative.

But on the bright side, Manu's game relies heavily on his cleverness, guile, and unpredictability... and those qualities will remain even when his quickness is gone.

I think Manu will be a star caliber player for at least another couple of seasons after this one. And I believe he'll be a bigger factor in his mid-30's than Finley is now (and Finley is still a fine player). Overall, I would guess that Manu will play into his late 30's.

mexicanjunior
12-30-2008, 05:50 PM
I think Duncan plays to 38 years old...Manu to 35...and Pop goes when Duncan does.

Galileo
12-30-2008, 05:52 PM
:wow.

who (besides parker) will be a major player?

George Hill, all-star Mahimni, and some young stud who came over to S.A. to win a few rings.

mexicanjunior
12-30-2008, 05:53 PM
all-star Mahimni

I would settle for 12th man Mahimni at this point...

DAF86
12-30-2008, 07:40 PM
I don't know about Duncan but I think that Manu (if injuries treat him nicely) will play untill he's 40. He enjoys basket too much, Hell he didn't even quit the national team yet. And I heard from him a lot of times that he wants to retire as a Spur, I wouldn't be to surprise (if his production falls over the next two seasons) seeing him sign for the veteran minimum in 2010 just to stay in the team.

WalterBenitez
12-30-2008, 07:47 PM
TD will last til 38/40 and Manu (I hope) 34 years old, later back to Europe or play in ARG.

Hemotivo
12-30-2008, 07:54 PM
37 both

Austin_Toros
12-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Duncan is signed through 2012. I'm always in the minority on this, but I think he retires at the end of this contract. He'll be 36...

that makes sense.

i think when duncan's contract expires he would have accomplished heaps, he will be at an appropriate age to retire and will have a overloaded bank account (assuming the american dollar hasnt self-destructed)
pop and TD will go out together, most likely in that season and i think manu will follow suit fairly quickly after.

then...rebuilding stage? hopefully not

ducks
12-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Enjoy The Season

Raoul Duke
12-30-2008, 10:53 PM
I think Duncan plays to 38 years old...Manu to 35...and Pop goes when Duncan does.

i agree that Tim plays till 38. it's been pointed out that his game is on skill not athleticsism so that leads to longer career. his body should't break down like dRobs.

zhougc
12-31-2008, 04:09 AM
i think TD will tire after manu,
duncan does not change his method of game all this years, and it's will not degenerate as his age, but manu will tire before Timmy because of his ankle.

TDMVPDPOY
12-31-2008, 04:19 AM
if splitter comes over and pans out, i can see duncan playing a defensive role on the team where splitter and hill will be given the reigns of leadership on this team. duncan will continue to achor the defense with splitter first option on offense. Duncan will play till his had enough of the game.

ps. i know GIST is ready if he comes back any year.

mrspurs
12-31-2008, 07:00 AM
As long as the money is there. They will play. If the money isnt worth it, then and only then do I see them saying good bye. Ill say this, I dont think Timmy likes to lose at all. And Manu would play in a wheel chair if you let him.

Rogue
12-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Wow..that's an oftly long time.

I give Tim about 3 more years. And Manu will probably follow suit when Pop and Tim retire.
I'm so sad to see that you just give Tim about 3 more years. Tim Duncan has just played in this league for 11.5 yrs that is still 7yrs behind Mutombo's 18yrs.
But I'm confident enough to believe that TIm Duncan will play many years more than just 3, because Tim is not a Garnett-like PF who relies on his athletism too heavily. Garnett is still pretty good and he looks much younger than his real age, but his value is gonna be much lower than his present once he starts to lose his athletism due to his age. Same for Stoudmire and DH. Tim is different from them as Tim uses his brain more than his body, in fact Duncan has seldom athletism to use. It's boring to watch Duncan play basketball because he has barely dunked the hoop, but his reserve enables him to play longer than Stoudmire and KG.
We have to stand his boring-play for more years, but we would like to see him play as long as he can.

pawe
12-31-2008, 01:44 PM
Tim = maximum efficiency, minimum effort
Manu though is one hell of an athletic player so I think TD can still be productive for about 4-5 more years..cant say the same for Manu.

easy7
12-31-2008, 01:47 PM
I usually retire every 60,000 miles or soon after the warranty on the tires goes out. They are rich so there is no telling.