PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan

johnsmith
12-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Why do you fire a coach that has 9 winning seasons out of 14 years as head coach and won you two super bowls.

Jeff Fisher hasn't won shit and they kept him around, that has worked out now hasn't it?

leemajors
12-30-2008, 05:53 PM
one of my friends told me he heard it was because Shanahan wouldn't give up the GM title.

Slinkyman
12-30-2008, 06:22 PM
one playoff win in 10 years, biggest regular season choke job that'll get you fired.

leemajors
12-30-2008, 06:33 PM
jason garrett to denver!

Fabbs
12-30-2008, 06:48 PM
one of my friends told me he heard it was because Shanahan wouldn't give up the GM title.
That could do it.

Slinkyman's

Re: Shanahan
one playoff win in 10 years, biggest regular season choke job that'll get you fired.
That could definitely have done it.

The two combined, plus should anyone head coach more then 15 years?

J.T.
12-30-2008, 06:57 PM
I guess we can't all have Tony Dungy as our coach. You know, 10 straight playoff runs, 3 championship games, 1 Super Bowl, loves Jesus.

mytespurs
12-30-2008, 07:08 PM
I just saw the headlines on Yahoo. That was a shocker! I thought he was relatively safe.

Perhaps it was time for a change. I doubt he will be unemployed considering his past track record (division titles, 2 SB wins). I'm imagine his phone will start ringing tomorrow.

mytespurs
12-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Just wonder who will now coach the donkeys???!! Any ideas?

Funny thought crossed my mind....Scottenheimer......:rflmao

Slinkyman
12-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Just wonder who will now coach the donkeys???!! Any ideas?

Funny thought crossed my mind....Scottenheimer......:rflmao

no we want a winner...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41298000/jpg/_41298212_cowher416.jpg

mytespurs
12-30-2008, 08:01 PM
no we want a winner...

Then the donkeys need to outbid the Jets for him...that is, if he's really interested in that job. :king

Borosai
12-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Sooo, Shanahan gets canned, but Jauron gets an extension? Some teams are okay with losing, and others are not.

ducks
12-30-2008, 08:32 PM
the broncos have won when nothing lately

ducks
12-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Why do you fire a coach that has 9 winning seasons out of 14 years as head coach and won you two super bowls.

Jeff Fisher hasn't won shit and they kept him around, that has worked out now hasn't it?

I thought elway won those himself:lol

J.T.
12-30-2008, 08:36 PM
I thought elway won those himself:lol

You're right, we should retroactively strip all head coaches/managers in any sport of their championship rings because they don't actually play.

ducks
12-30-2008, 08:38 PM
“I don’t know if necessarily they’ll find a better football coach,” said linebacker Bill Romanowski, a key player on the Super Bowl teams. “Mike is an outstanding football coach, one of the better coaches I had, if not the best. But players start to get tired of the same routines, the same kind of play calling. A new fresh coat of paint sometimes does a whole lot of good.”

ducks
12-30-2008, 08:39 PM
one playoff win in 9 years

wow impressive there shanahan!

gee I wonder why they fired his sorry ass NOT

Spurs/BroncoSojia
Great move. Our defense was horrible this year, Slowik (IMO should've been hired in the first place) had no clue what he was during. The absolute collapse down the stretch, and the fact that Shanny wouldn't fire Slowik, Pat had no choice.

ducks
You're right, we should retroactively strip all head coaches/managers in any sport of their championship rings because they don't actually play.

I posted what I did because people act like elway won them the title by himself

jack sommerset
12-30-2008, 08:42 PM

I think he did.

J.T.
12-30-2008, 08:43 PM
one playoff win in 9 years

wow impressive there shanahan!

gee I wonder why they fired his sorry ass NOT

While, in the same time span, San Diego has only managed to get to the Super Bowl and give up a Super Bowl record 6 TD passed to Steve Young and get to the AFC Championship and get pieced by Brady's patriots.

This is like a Mavericks fan saying Gregg Popovich is a shitty coach because he can't win back to back titles.

Warlord23
12-30-2008, 08:43 PM

No ... you posted what you did because you're so retarded your fingers type even when your brain tells them not to

EDIT: wrong quote :lol

ClingingMars
12-30-2008, 10:55 PM
I guess we can't all have Tony Dungy as our coach. You know, 10 straight playoff runs, 3 championship games, 1 Super Bowl, loves Jesus.

sounds good to me :toast

-Mars

Slinkyman
12-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Then the donkeys need to outbid the Jets for him...that is, if he's really interested in that job. :king

ESPN is reporting that Cowher's out of the running in NY, i'd imagine they'll go after the pats OC. Not many options left for Bill Cowher unless he wants to stay retired one more year.

mexicanjunior
12-31-2008, 12:14 AM
Jerry should be calling up Shanahan and making him an offer he can't refuse...

Whisky Dog
12-31-2008, 06:11 AM
I think it was because Shanahan wouldn't fire the DC after Bolen had ordered him to do so.

Either way, this is Dallas' opening. Get Wade the hell out and bring in Shanahan. At least he has some semblance of discipline and a track record of being somewhat successful.

florige
12-31-2008, 08:54 AM
no we want a winner...

I know alot of people critisize Marty alot, but the son of a bitch gets his teams to the playoffs. I mean the last couple of playoff losses haven't really been his fault. Even though I love our new coach in Harbaugh, I wouldn't had been disappointed if we had gotten Marty as coach either.

florige
12-31-2008, 08:59 AM
I think it was because Shanahan wouldn't fire the DC after Bolen had ordered him to do so.

Either way, this is Dallas' opening. Get Wade the hell out and bring in Shanahan. At least he has some semblance of discipline and a track record of being somewhat successful.

:lmao With Jerry Jones as owner? Please, that would never work. If he got fired from Denver for not wanting to relinquish his GM role, what makes you think he will want to come to Dallas? Jones wants a puppet. Why do you think Phillips and Garrett are still around?

johnsmith
12-31-2008, 09:01 AM
I've had 12 hours to think about this now and I don't mind it as much anymore. Initially I thought that there wouldn't be anyone as good out there, but then I had to remember that Shanny hasn't done much and won't do much as long as he is picking the defensive players to be on his team.

He's a fantastic offensive talent scout, but he sucks at picking defense.

I also think this is an excellent opportunity for the Cowboys. 14 years ago, the Broncos had a ton of talent and couldn't get it done under the leadership of Wade Phillips. Enter Shanny and two years later you have back to back super bowls. Sounds kind of familiar to Dallas' situation.

Oh, and Ducks, you are the worst poster in the history of the NFL forum as it pertains to posting on spurstalk.com. I'd quit that and focus on your day job of eating Dorito's, playing fantasy football and daydreaming about the last time you actually played a sport (which was in jr. high). You don't know a damn thing about football, your jokes are absolutely terrible, and you can't fucking spell or string together a single thought that makes sense.

johnsmith
12-31-2008, 09:48 AM
I just read a frightening scenario. What if Shanny goes to San Diego? Dear lord, to think what he could do with that offense.

T Park
12-31-2008, 12:38 PM
Safe bet that won't happen. San Diego seems enthralled with Norvell.

If I were Jerry Jones I would give Shannahan the reins to this horse and let er go.

resistanze
12-31-2008, 01:17 PM
Damn, President/CEO of the Broncos crying.

Whisky Dog
12-31-2008, 01:19 PM
:lmao With Jerry Jones as owner? Please, that would never work. If he got fired from Denver for not wanting to relinquish his GM role, what makes you think he will want to come to Dallas? Jones wants a puppet. Why do you think Phillips and Garrett are still around?

Jerry and Shanahan are good friends. They are the two that set up the training camp practices with the Cowboys and Broncos the last couple of years and their friendship could make it an enticing place for Shanahan. Not saying it would last long, but with the pieces that Dallas has in place Shanahan might looks at it as a way to chase another ring with a two or three year window before Jerry truly pisses him off. It's possible.

florige
12-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Jerry and Shanahan are good friends. They are the two that set up the training camp practices with the Cowboys and Broncos the last couple of years and their friendship could make it an enticing place for Shanahan. Not saying it would last long, but with the pieces that Dallas has in place Shanahan might looks at it as a way to chase another ring with a two or three year window before Jerry truly pisses him off. It's possible.

Oh ok. I didn't know about the friends part. That very well might work then. I wonder if Jerry Jones will pull a Bischotti (Ravens Owner) and fire Phillips after he said his job was safe. Bischotti all but said that Billick's job was safe, but he still wound up firing him anyway after the season.

T Park
01-01-2009, 03:35 AM
Yeah and the Ravens would've had just as good a record this year, maybe better with Billick as the coach.

cherylsteele
01-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Jerry and Shanahan are good friends.
Weren't he Jimmy johnson good friends too....look what happened

ABDENOUR POWER
01-02-2009, 03:09 AM
Spagnuolo, anyone?

Obstructed_View
01-02-2009, 07:11 PM
I know alot of people critisize Marty alot, but the son of a bitch gets his teams to the playoffs. I mean the last couple of playoff losses haven't really been his fault. Even though I love our new coach in Harbaugh, I wouldn't had been disappointed if we had gotten Marty as coach either.

The two big losses against the Broncos when he was in Cleveland weren't really his fault. "The Drive" only tied the game, and the Browns defense didn't seem interested in stopping anyone by that point, and Earnest Byner had a touchdown if he just doesn't fumble the ball. Hell, if Lin E l l i o t* doesn't miss several chip shot field goals, he'd have won in Kansas City too.

* Had to do that or it would say "Lin Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_"

florige
01-03-2009, 12:45 AM
Yeah and the Ravens would've had just as good a record this year, maybe better with Billick as the coach.

I don't think so. This team lacked discipline under Billick. I think our owner looked at two games last year and decided Billick's fate. The NE game, and the Mia game. How do you explain damn near beating the best team in decades in primetime, to losing to a 0-11 team? Billick was a good BS'er. With the defense we have had over the years, we should at the very least have 1 more championship. The one that we won back in 2000 had nothing to do with Billick. And I liked Billick as a person. Just not as a head coach.

Whisky Dog
01-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Weren't he Jimmy johnson good friends too....look what happened

Yeah, they won 2 super bowls together before they got bitchy with each other. I think Shanahan would take that. Read my previous post, I said it was a short window to get a ring before Jerry pissed him off.

cherylsteele
01-05-2009, 03:27 AM
Yeah, they won 2 super bowls together before they got bitchy with each other. I think Shanahan would take that. Read my previous post, I said it was a short window to get a ring before Jerry pissed him off.
But why would Shanahan even want to be put in that type of position at this point of his coaching career, would it really be all that worth it to him?

Whisky Dog
01-05-2009, 10:41 AM
But why would Shanahan even want to be put in that type of position at this point of his coaching career, would it really be all that worth it to him?

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe he thinks he and his buddy Jerry can make it work with the pieces in place, or maybe he doesn't. I think he takes a year off and gets back into coaching for 2010 season with the Cowboys. You don't have the success he's had and not have the ego to think you can take a team like the Cowboys and win.

Fabbs
01-05-2009, 11:00 AM
T Park

I don't think so. This team lacked discipline under Billick. I think our owner looked at two games last year and decided Billick's fate. The NE game, and the Mia game. How do you explain damn near beating the best team in decades in primetime, to losing to a 0-11 team? Billick was a good BS'er. With the defense we have had over the years, we should at the very least have 1 more championship. The one that we won back in 2000 had nothing to do with Billick. And I liked Billick as a person. Just not as a head coach.
Willis McGahee was interviewed last week and asked if in the offseason and pre training camp he thought the Ravens realistically had any chance to be where they are now. He flat stated no way, he thought it would be another 6-10 season and that Harbaughs training camp was completely different from Billicks and the tone was set.

baobei816
01-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Now that is a lot of brass air fittings http://www.liangdianup.com/subpages/airfitting_1.htm there is just about every type
of air fitting that you could want. Wholesale prices too. I guess these could be used as small water pipe fitting also. I
used some of the parts to make my babington wvo burner.

slayermin
01-06-2009, 01:21 AM
Great offensive mind. Denver hasn't looked this good at QB since John Elway. I say you give Shanahan a couple of years to build up that defense and they would be championship calibur again.

It wasn't Shanahan's fault all their tailbacks got hurt. Seven of their running backs went on IR. They ended up with Tatum Bell at tailback.

And their defense was pathetic, from what I saw of them. Cutler was practically willing that team to the playoffs. But in the end, their lack of defense and running game did them in.

Shanahan has had great defenses in the past. He knows how to build one up. To me, it's ridiculous to fire him. He's better than Cowher or Spagnuolo. Belichick and Dungy are his only rivals, imo and those are the only two names I would consider to replace him.

florige
01-06-2009, 08:47 AM
T Park

Willis McGahee was interviewed last week and asked if in the offseason and pre training camp he thought the Ravens realistically had any chance to be where they are now. He flat stated no way, he thought it would be another 6-10 season and that Harbaughs training camp was completely different from Billicks and the tone was set.

Billck's camps were often referred to here as camp "creme puff". They wouldn't practice if it was too hot. You had players doing whatever the hell they wanted. Fat Ogden walking around getting paid talking about his toe was injured jerking the team around all the way up until training camp if he was going to retire or not. But soon as they talked about putting his fat lazy ass on the IR he was all of the sudden healed and all ready to go the very next week. Then you have Todd Heap, who went from having a 1 week ankle injury to missing damn near the entire season with some undisclosed injury walking around the sidelines with no noticable limp while chucking sunflowers seeds. Billick gave the players too much rope here.

johnsmith
01-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Great offensive mind. Denver hasn't looked this good at QB since John Elway. I say you give Shanahan a couple of years to build up that defense and they would be championship calibur again.

Denver's offense has been above average pretty much every year since Elway retired.

It wasn't Shanahan's fault all their tailbacks got hurt. Seven of their running backs went on IR. They ended up with Tatum Bell at tailback.
True.

And their defense was pathetic, from what I saw of them. Cutler was practically willing that team to the playoffs. But in the end, their lack of defense and running game did them in.
True.

Shanahan has had great defenses in the past. He knows how to build one up. To me, it's ridiculous to fire him. He's better than Cowher or Spagnuolo. Belichick and Dungy are his only rivals, imo and those are the only two names I would consider to replace him.

Even when they won the Super Bowls I wouldn't call their defense "great". He certainly doesn't know how to build one, just look at the last 5 drafts as well as the last ten years of free agent signings he's made. Shanny made one good decision on defense in a decade and that was to get Champ. Dre Bly is a bust, the UT and Florida D-lineman have been busts, the linebacker corp for the last decade minus Al Wilson have been busts, the Browns castaways have been busts, and getting an old man to play safety year in and year out has been a bust.

Shanny doesn't know shit about defense and that was ultimately what led to his demise. His offense has been fine, although the play calling has sort of sucked ever since Kubiak left.

johnsmith
01-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Rumor mill out of Denver has Shanahan going to KC, and will be announced within the last couple of days.

IronMexican
01-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Wow, all he has to do now is join the Chargers.

Blake
01-22-2009, 01:12 PM
hard to believe that Super Bowl winning coaches like Cowher, Shanny and Gruden are unemployed while losers like Wade still have a job.

johnsmith
01-22-2009, 01:33 PM
False Alarm:

SCHEFTER: SHANAHAN WON’T LAND IN KANSAS CITY
Posted by Mike Florio on January 22, 2009, 12:25 p.m. EST
In response to rapidly-spreading rumors (we might have had something to do with that) regarding the possibility of a former Broncos and Raiders coach landing with their common rivals in Kansas City, Adam Schefter of NFLN says that there’s no truth whatsoever to the reports/rumors/rumblings/scuttlebutt that Mike Shanahan will be the next coach of the Chiefs.

Per Schefter, the Chiefs and Shanahan have had no contact as of mid-day Thursday.

Of course, it doesn’t mean that there won’t be contact if/when Herm Edwards is fired. We assume that the Chiefs are spending more time deciding whether to keep Herm than they are lining up his potential replacement.

Especially in light of the Rooney Rule.

Unless Shanahan’s spray tan falls within the scope of the Soul Man exception, he can’t be hired until after Edwards is fired and at least one minority candidate is interviewed

slayermin
01-24-2009, 04:26 AM
Even when they won the Super Bowls I wouldn't call their defense "great". He certainly doesn't know how to build one, just look at the last 5 drafts as well as the last ten years of free agent signings he's made. Shanny made one good decision on defense in a decade and that was to get Champ. Dre Bly is a bust, the UT and Florida D-lineman have been busts, the linebacker corp for the last decade minus Al Wilson have been busts, the Browns castaways have been busts, and getting an old man to play safety year in and year out has been a bust.

Shanny doesn't know shit about defense and that was ultimately what led to his demise. His offense has been fine, although the play calling has sort of sucked ever since Kubiak left.

I was referring to the defenses he had when Elway was there. But he probably inherited those squads. I don't think he's clueless about defense. From 2003-2006, Denver's defense ranked in the top ten in pts allowed and was 4th in the league in yards allowed twice.

florige
01-24-2009, 08:51 PM
hard to believe that Super Bowl winning coaches like Cowher, Shanny and Gruden are unemployed while losers like Wade still have a job.

Cowher isn't going anywhere until that Carolina job opens up. Which may be next season if they start to stink it up which I think is going to happen.
I actually like Wade Phillips. But not on a team like the Cowboys. I think a coach like Billick would fit that scenario best because Billick is perfect in dealing with the media. And with the media queens in Dallas I think that would work. Phillips needs to be placed on a team that is currently in a rebuilding mode. St. Louis would have been a good fit for him I think.