PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on our beloved Mavs tonight

Ghazi
12-30-2008, 10:52 PM
What to make for a game like this. For a 26 minute span, the Twolves outscored us by 29. That is absolutely terrible basketball. For a 22 minute span, we outscored the Twolves by 36. Anytime you outscore a team by 36 in a 22 minute span, regardless of how bad they are, that is amazing basketball.

So I dunno how to define a win like this, but it sure was entertaining.

The bench didn't do much tonight, it was mainly our "four horsemen". J-Ho actually showed up in the 4th, Kidd/Terry were great all night... Dirk was great in the 2nd half (except for hte FT's).

We didn't learn much about our team today though, the NBA is a league of runs... this game just happened to feature two EXTREME runs... one by the Twolves, one by the Mavs... in the end, we came out on top.

We need to win these next 4 against "cupcakes" and then go from there.

Findog
12-30-2008, 10:54 PM
67 points in the 2nd half. Seems like the Wolves rarely got a stop after halftime. Meanwhile, they held Minny to 40 in the same timespan. McHale should've played Jefferson the entire second half to hold off Dallas.

Roxsfan
12-30-2008, 10:54 PM
no one cares:toast:flag:

I keed, I keed.

Brickhouse
12-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Kidd and Terry were great. Dirk didn't settle for jumpers and had a nice block and rebounds. Josh showed some life after halftime.

Good comeback win against a bottom feeder.

Brickhouse
12-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Some nitpicks:

Dirk needs to hit his FTs, wtf.

JHo 1 rebound, 0 FTAs not going to cut it.

Chieflion
12-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Some nitpicks:

Dirk needs to hit his FTs, wtf.

JHo 1 rebound, 0 FTAs not going to cut it.

You cannot nitpick Josh Howard's rebounding numbers.

Dirk and Dampier have a combined 25. Add Kidd into it and you have 32. Otherwise, fantastic game for the Mavs.

DubMcDub
12-30-2008, 11:23 PM
A pathetic 1st half effort, followed by an outstanding 2nd half effort. Hopefully they'll build some on this.

endrity
12-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Well I saw today that Howard is usually the 2nd person off in a fast break after a shot is up. With Dirk Damp and Kidd all being really good rebounders, the team feels they have the boards protected and want to initiate some fast offense with Kidd, and after Jet is off Howard goes as well usally trying to flank Kidd. Some of the decline therefore is by design. As for the assits, well Josh is never going to be a good passer, the Clippers game is a total outlier for him. But today he made some good decisions very often, and if he saw a bad shot he passed it back out again. It's a small sample, but Howard is "back", sort of, in the last two games.

Brickhouse
12-30-2008, 11:31 PM
Well I saw today that Howard is usually the 2nd person off in a fast break after a shot is up. With Dirk Damp and Kidd all being really good rebounders, the team feels they have the boards protected and want to initiate some fast offense with Kidd, and after Jet is off Howard goes as well usally trying to flank Kidd. Some of the decline therefore is by design. As for the assits, well Josh is never going to be a good passer, the Clippers game is a total outlier for him. But today he made some good decisions very often, and if he saw a bad shot he passed it back out again. It's a small sample, but Howard is "back", sort of, in the last two games.

ftas= free throw attempts, not assists.

0 FTAs for a slasher is not going to cut it. Again, I'm nitpicking since he showed some life after halftime which is rare in itself.

Ghazi
12-30-2008, 11:47 PM
There's always gonna be some bothering stats from every game.

The "perfect" game would be Dirk 25, JET 20, Howard 20... some bench production... more FTA's than 3 pointers and more FTA's than the opponent... shooting 3-pointers at 38% or above... holding the opponent to a low %, etc etc.

I dunno, bottom line is annoying stats always come up. Dirk's FT's was just an anomaly... J-Ho's rebounds however, is a concerning 9 game trend (with exception to the Clipers game).

Brickhouse
12-31-2008, 12:13 AM
No it wasn't an "anomaly" if Dirk would make a point of driving to the basket more like he did tonight, he would have a higher fta%, maybe not 10 but it sure as hell is better seeing him attack the rim more than settle for jumpers, especially tonight when it wasn't falling.

And JHo needs to do the same damn thing and even more.

endrity
12-31-2008, 12:24 AM
Brick, his jumper is usually falling and that is why he doesn't need to attack this much, this early in the season. He will do it in the playoffs, look at how he played last year. The man knows it's a long season, no need to kill yourself this year.

Tongiht it wasn't falling and he drove, and he got jacked a couple of times. One or two of the misses were because of that probably.