PDA

View Full Version : I hate to say it, but Bonner is turning into the old gawky Bonner!!

45 bank shot
12-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Just simply take a look at his stats after the Phoneix game. He lost his feeling offensively and he can't guard the paint at all. (Sometimes I even think Tolliver is better than him) Too bad we can't do anything to him when two of our big men are out ( Fab and Mahinmi). well, we don't want to start kurt because he's aged.
Bonner has definitely achieved something earlier this season but I don't really think that he can keep it up and he'll gradually become sloppy once again.
So let's not heistate to trade him

xtremesteven33
12-30-2008, 11:23 PM
We shouldve traded him when his value was high....haha

m33p0
12-30-2008, 11:23 PM
oh, well. it was good while it lasted.

it's me
12-30-2008, 11:27 PM
Super Bonner is saving it for the PlayOffs .

timvp
12-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Yeah I'm not sure what has happened to Bonner but he's basically done nothing in the last few weeks. He stopped scoring, rebounding and playing D.

Rapper
12-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Dude you know what

The duty and function of Bonner is 3 point shooting (Roger Mason and Bonner are taking the lead in 3 point%)

So don't mad at him, he has done his best

T Park
12-30-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm gonna guess hes tired from the minutes.

Or maybe its just a bigass slump.

Rohirrim
12-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Facts is facts.

We don't have the bigs outside of Duncan to be a force on defense.

xtremesteven33
12-30-2008, 11:39 PM
he had some hot streaky games and nothing more.

I never really bought into the Bonner hype. I knew it was a matter of time till he gets pulled from the starting lineup. Its just that we are short on Bigs so we need someone to start. :(

SsKSpurs21
12-30-2008, 11:42 PM
anyone see during the second quarter, when duncan had that off balance and1 against bogut, tim walked to the line and bonner went up to chest bump him and tim pushed him away, like, dude we are down, dont celebrate! lol hahaah it was hilarious.

AFBlue
12-30-2008, 11:45 PM
I know Bonner has been stinking it up lately, but I had to comment on the "sometimes I think Tolliver is better" comment. Tolliver is terrible...flat out. He looks absolutely lost on the court and isn't hitting his shots.

I don't know what the situation is with his contract (when it becomes fully guaranteed), but I think he's only still on this team because the other bigs are old or injured.

T Park
12-30-2008, 11:47 PM
I know Bonner has been stinking it up lately, but I had to comment on the "sometimes I think Tolliver is better" comment. Tolliver is terrible...flat out. He looks absolutely lost on the court and isn't hitting his shots.

I don't know what the situation is with his contract (when it becomes fully guaranteed), but I think he's only still on this team because the other bigs are old or injured.

How is he "lost"

His shot making being off doesn't equal being lost.

Hes passing great and has a good nose for the rebounding of the ball.

it's me
12-30-2008, 11:48 PM
When is freaking Norberto back???

Ice009
12-30-2008, 11:49 PM
I think some of it has to do with Bonner not being involved in the offense much. The rest is on Bonner. He needs to play better. He's had a few bad games and you can't just keep having bad games. You've got to step up and start playing again.

AFBlue
12-30-2008, 11:52 PM
How is he "lost"

His shot making being off doesn't equal being lost.

Hes passing great and has a good nose for the rebounding of the ball.

I'd characterize his play as "frenetic". Yes he has good energy, but it doesn't seem to be focused. While in the half-court set it didn't appear that he knew where to be or was comfortable.

Add his poor shooting into the mix and you have a player that shouldn't see any court time with the Spurs.

Austin_Toros
12-30-2008, 11:58 PM
this is the true bonner
he isnt good enough to be a starter but the spurs have nobody else. i think its time KT came back into the starting lineup.

everyone jumped on bonner after his 5-or-so game fluke span, but the way he played tonight is how he truly is.

whottt
12-31-2008, 12:08 AM
I think he's not used to all the minutes...he's been been riding the pine for 2 years and now he's starting on a defense oriented team.

Bench him for a few games...

angelbelow
12-31-2008, 12:15 AM
that hornets game hurt him i think. his confidence was dropped so low that game it hasnt come back to him yet.

it's me
12-31-2008, 12:24 AM
that hornets game hurt him i think. his confidence was dropped so low that game it hasnt come back to him yet.

If that's the case... we need to look into getting rid of him... You don't want a guy whose confidence is low for whatever reason ....it's the NBA FcK it...

To me it's not a confidence problem... he's just playing bad... he'll be back to normal.

ploto
12-31-2008, 12:30 AM
I think he's not used to all the minutes...he's been been riding the pine for 2 years and now he's starting on a defense oriented team.

Bench him for a few games...

He is 28 years old and he can not handle 24 minutes a game or so?

whottt
12-31-2008, 01:22 AM
He is 28 years old and he can not handle 24 minutes a game or so?

Because he's not used to expending that much energy. It's not like being 28 and on a pro-basketball team automatically guarantees you the cardio-vascular system of a pro-basketball player....it's something that has to be attained and built up to, not something that just is because you are 28 and in the NBA.

Try not to be so simple minded ploto...

lefty
12-31-2008, 01:24 AM
Bonner is Roberthorrying

DANILO DRASKOVIC
12-31-2008, 01:33 AM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/anusthemenace/BonerStabone.png

Bruno
12-31-2008, 01:55 AM
Bonner hasn't played well lately. He is in a slump and I'm curious to see what will happen for a couple of reasons.

First, a big, and maybe even the main, reason why Bonner struggled in the past was thinking too much. The more you struggle, the more you think at what you do on the court. It could be a downside spiral for Bonner and it will be interesting to see how/if he will break it.

Second, Pop said earlier in the season that he trusted Bonner (alongside Mason and Hill) and that he would keep him in the rotation even if he had a bad stretch. Pop now faces this scenario and we will see if he sticks to his words.

whottt
12-31-2008, 02:20 AM
for Bonner and it will be interesting to see how/if he will break it.

Second, Pop said earlier in the season that he trusted Bonner (alongside Mason and Hill) and that he would keep him in the rotation even if he had a bad stretch. Pop now faces this scenario and we will see if he sticks to his words.

I think Pop was talking about his shooting...not his overall game. If Bonner isn't rebounding Pop isn't going to stay with him long. Rebounding is effort plain and simple.

Bruno
12-31-2008, 02:38 AM
I think Pop was talking about his shooting...not his overall game. If Bonner isn't rebounding Pop isn't going to stay with him long. Rebounding is effort plain and simple.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_Notebook_Duncan_on_pace_for_All-Star_start.html

Votes of confidence: It remains to be seen whether Ginobili's return to the bench Wednesday night was a one-time deal, made necessary by the grueling back-to-back schedule, or something more permanent.

What Popovich would like to make permanent are steady minutes for three key role players — Bonner, Roger Mason Jr., and George Hill.

Mason started in Ginobili's place against Atlanta, while Hill has been key backing up Parker — even finishing Wednesday's game after Parker struggled.

“They're going to get my confidence, because I think that's the way we're going to be the best team we can be,” Popovich said. “I think I'll have to live through some mistakes here and there, some teaching moments.

“Those guys would have to play badly for about 37 games in a row before I change it.”

I don't think Pop was just talking only about sticking with them in case of a bad shooting slump. It sounds stronger than that.

Indazone
12-31-2008, 02:39 AM
Scola thread?

m33p0
12-31-2008, 03:50 AM
agree. i think he's back to thinking too much.

just let it fly, RED ROCKET!

timvp
12-31-2008, 04:21 AM
Since the Hornets game he had one good game against Toronto but has otherwise been invisible. It's not merely a shooting slump because his rebounding is way down and his defense isn't nearly as good. It's some type of overall slump. I think the possible explanations are:

1) He's tired. He hasn't played consistent minutes for this long of a stretch for a few years. I was hoping the two days off would re-energize him but the rest didn't seem to help.

2) He still hasn't gotten over that Hornets game. His confidence could be low and he could be second guessing himself again.

3) The league figured him out. Perhaps other teams figured out to not leave him open and put a body on him on the boards.

I think it has to be one of those three. It's tough to tell which reason it is but hopefully he can snap out of it and get back to playing how he was playing at the beginning of the month. If Bonner becomes useless, this team's chances of winning the championship take a pretty big hit.

Here are the numbers that show just how much Bonner is struggling:

Hornets Game To Present (8 Games)
10.2 points per 40 minutes
6.3 rebounds per 40 minutes
39.6% from the field
30% on three-pointers

Previous 16 Games
18.1 points per 40 minutes
9.5 rebounds per 40 minutes
59.7% from the field
56.3% on three-pointers

The shooting slump is understandable but the rebounding is unacceptable. 9.5 rebounds/40 isn't even that good as is. Losing a third of that rate makes him a pitiful rebounder for a bigman.

whottt
12-31-2008, 06:36 AM
The shooting slump is understandable but the rebounding is unacceptable. 9.5 rebounds/40 isn't even that good as is. Losing a third of that rate makes him a pitiful rebounder for a bigman.

That's why I think if he doesn't improve his rebounding Pop is going to put him back on the bench...he can get more rebounds from George Hill than he can from Bonner at this rate.

Putting a body on him is not a good excuse for his lack of rebouding...Bonner is big, strong and physicial enough to be an effective rebounder in this league if his mind is set on it. I've seen him come down with some tough boards before...not a good excuse, he has to fight for them. That's why I think it's fatigue....Bonner just doesn't have this sort of conditioning.

I mean you think about it...guys like Barry and Kerr were defacto starters on their teams and even they didn't have the conditioning to put out the defensive energy Pop requires, their first year with the Spurs, and they were on the deep bench...you can imagine what it's like for a guy who has been on bench his entire career to suddenly start for the Spurs...

He just needs better conditioning.

Rebounding is about desire and effort...

mrspurs
12-31-2008, 06:37 AM
I hope yall didnt think Matt was gonna be Timmys help in the paint. If yall did, wow yall are waking up from a weird dream. Another game win or lose where we got our behinds whipped in the paint. Got killed on the boards. And just like in last years POs. Teams just stretch their arms up and for the most part its good enough defense against Timmy. And its no surprise, the only man on this roster who can make a gametime layup is TP. Matt and Kurt are not gonna help Timmy take this team far once the POs come around. When that level of play begins, then we will see Matt on the bench right next to either Fab or Kurt. Unless of course they make a trade and bring in someone whos a real C. And I dont mean C as in Choker. And your right Timvp. Matt can go without hitting a shot and it really wouldnt matter if he could rebound and play inside D. Ill take Stops over easy opponent makes anyday. Im not being hard on Matt, because its not his fault. Everyone should know he like JV is a 3rd option at best. Hes being asked to do something he will never be able to do. And thats being a starter in this league. Move onto next year. It was a great 2008, and I hope we bring in some help for 2009. Once again if we dont get Timmy some help. We wont go far into the POs by winning games from beyond the arc. And its noones fault, its just the way it is.

Spurs Brazil
12-31-2008, 08:32 AM
That's really bad because Oberto was also not rebounding well and Thomas and TD won't work against big part of the league. Let's hope Bonner can play well again

Fabbs
12-31-2008, 09:34 AM
oh, well. it was good while it lasted.
:lol

He had a good run.

benefactor
12-31-2008, 09:45 AM
We depend way too much on our guards to get boards. Oberto and Bonner are joke on the boards...period. They never have been that good and one has to wonder if they will ever be consistent in this area.

I really hope that in the next few weeks we start to bring some bigs(Sims, Hendrix) for auditions. If it means waiving Tolliver then so be it...because as much as I would like to develop him the need for a physical rebounder seems much more pressing.

z0sa
12-31-2008, 01:59 PM
Bonner needs to step up the intensity. His shots have been about 1/2inch off on the average. They'll start falling once again. If he wants to keep his current gig, he needs to bring that All-Hustle 1st Team Bonner we all know.

Borosai
12-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Bonner is just trying to stay under the radar before teams start gameplanning for him. He's a superhero: he'll show up when needed.

The Truth #6
12-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Last year Bonner couldn't hit the side of a barn but he was tough and physical, and pissed off opposing players by always pushing on them.

This year he's become much softer, or at least recently during his slump. Often he gets pushed out of the way. And to make it worse, he seems to have been studying Bowen's bad flopping tendencies. Twice last night I saw Bonner get pushed out of the way and flail his arms on the way to the ground like a wounded dove.

It's odd that he would regress now because he has very little competition. The spot is pretty much his though he's been working to make it otherwise. I'm a fan of Bonner but wish he would quit playing the victim and toughen up.

Johnny RIngo
12-31-2008, 06:07 PM
Him and Fin kill us on D. Pops is a fool for trying to play a slow down game with poor defenders as starters. If bonner cant give us 10ppg and 6 boards he shouldnt be starting. Face it we are not a contender uless we get a tuff guy at the 5 and better D from TD TP AND FIN!

We definately need an upgrade at the center position.

m33p0
12-31-2008, 08:24 PM
http://gasprices360.com/uploaded_images/MSN-Gas-Prices-708850.jpg

Indazone
01-01-2009, 12:11 AM
Where are you Madbonner? :lmao

Austin_Toros
01-01-2009, 12:50 AM
i think fans have to start realising that bonner is, and always will be, inconsistent.
he will shoot erratically and his D is unreliable.

face the facts

Rogue
01-01-2009, 06:21 AM
where the hell is Horry now, is he retired?

Either way, he can no longer terminate any team with his winning buzzer 3s. It's just the natural priciple that no one can go against, so I am pretty depressed to say "bye" to 08 and recieve a blank new year. One year's passing means everyone gets one year older and one year closer to death. Can we human beings find out some way that can help us get rid of death? I believe in heresy hardly so that I'm still holding this wish. I mean, no one had dreamt of traveling to moon, at most they just dreamt of and never expected it to come true, but we actually did it for the first time in 69.
Nothing is impossible, including living eternally.

mrspurs
01-01-2009, 06:56 AM
where the hell is Horry now, is he retired?

Either way, he can no longer terminate any team with his winning buzzer 3s. It's just the natural priciple that no one can go against, so I am pretty depressed to say "bye" to 08 and recieve a blank new year. One year's passing means everyone gets one year older and one year closer to death. Can we human beings find out some way that can help us get rid of death? I believe in heresy hardly so that I'm still holding this wish. I mean, no one had dreamt of traveling to moon, at most they just dreamt of and never expected it to come true, but we actually did it for the first time in 69.
Nothing is impossible, including living eternally.

wildbill2u
01-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Just simply take a look at his stats after the Phoneix game. He lost his feeling offensively and he can't guard the paint at all. (Sometimes I even think Tolliver is better than him) Too bad we can't do anything to him when two of our big men are out ( Fab and Mahinmi). well, we don't want to start kurt because he's aged.
Bonner has definitely achieved something earlier this season but I don't really think that he can keep it up and he'll gradually become sloppy once again.
So let's not heistate to trade him

Bonner had some good games last year and then slumped. Pop responded by cutting his minutes drastically which destroyed his confidence. Bonner may be one of those players who need minutes to recover his game. Pop gives Finley lots of rope and maybe should do that with Bonner.

Brazil
01-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Bonner is just trying to stay under the radar before teams start gameplanning for him. He's a superhero: he'll show up when needed.

itzsoweezee
01-01-2009, 04:56 PM
he's not scoring because he's not getting open shots like he was earlier in the year.

wisnub
01-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Bonner had his moments..but i think he is kinnda person who when his mental is picking up than he is doing superb but when he is down and get beaten up by coach or good knows who ,then his numbers suddenly fallin...he's taking things seriously and afraid to shoot before..until recently. But then fall again, i think he got opportunity to rise up again..if we got something valuable in replacement for him then do it,otherwise its dangerous move to trade him since he can be back in his shape anytime soon. He's still young his mental will got stable and that time his performance will be stable as well, when he's doing good our team is winning so dont trade him coz I dont think Spurs can get better value from the market these days.

I think question should not for Bonner but Mahinmi..that young guy always got injury, from torn his muscle,ankle problems many times...he is injury prone before starting real NBA games not to mention playoffs. I think he got to go. Combination of Bonner,him and rights to Splitter will give opportunity to get someone solid..if other team buys it which i think they will given what we offer ( Bonner just got to maintain his numbers until trade happens)

Spur-Addict
01-01-2009, 06:19 PM
It really isn't hard to figure him out, just don't leave him open and keep him off the boards. Period. End of story. It isn't as though he's a rookie and hadn't been seen before. All he needs to do to get his game back is hit the boards hard.

If he does that, i'd say he'd be back in a better form. If your shot isn't falling, then at least you can say you are doing something out there. It's in his capacity to do so, so I expect nothing less for the rest of the season. If he can't at least do that, then eventually his minutes must come down. By Ending possessions, he will gain a feel for the game that seems to be missing. He needs to redevelop his familiarity with the ball; that will be a good way to get his touch back as well.

ploto
01-01-2009, 09:42 PM
I ran into Matt this morning. Sorry, I did not ask him why he is sucking lately!

rascal
01-01-2009, 11:47 PM
I ran into Matt this morning. Sorry, I did not ask him why he is sucking lately!

You Wimp!

Manufan909
01-03-2009, 03:18 AM
And Bonner comes back strong, wish he'd start rebounding again, though.

T Park
01-03-2009, 03:23 AM
Watching the game, he was on the perimiter defensively most of the night, and he had some rebounds that got knocked out of his hand and or got tipped to teammates who got credit.

His rebounding effort tonight wasn't as bad as the numbers reflected.

Manufan909
01-03-2009, 03:34 AM
Watching the game, he was on the perimiter defensively most of the night, and he had some rebounds that got knocked out of his hand and or got tipped to teammates who got credit.

His rebounding effort tonight wasn't as bad as the numbers reflected.

So they weren't controlled tips, or were they too close to call? And thanks for the info, I didn't get to watch the game, so I never would've known he played on the perimeter most of the game. Who was he guarding mostly, by the way?

And has timvp written game thoughts for the Bucks L yet, cuz I didn't find it.

duncan228
01-03-2009, 03:39 AM

Haven't seen the Bucks thoughts yet.

T Park
01-03-2009, 03:46 AM
So they weren't controlled tips, or were they too close to call? And thanks for the info, I didn't get to watch the game, so I never would've known he played on the perimeter most of the game. Who was he guarding mostly, by the way?

He was guarding Warrick, and I can't remember who started, might've been Rudy Gay he was out on him, but he was on the perimiter for most of the night, but alot of the times he was in position had control and someone would tip it to someone else, or another spur got it, but he was around quite a bit of em. Bonner had a damn damn good game last night.

T Park
01-03-2009, 03:51 AM
Tonight against the Sixers will be a good test to see if Bonner has turned the corner physical wise, cause tonight Bonner looked fresh and he played a decent amount of minutes.