PDA

View Full Version : What the heck Time Warner??

ashbeeigh
12-31-2008, 12:40 AM
I was watching my normal Home Improvement and saw a horrible scroll come across... (no more Home Improvement!!! :wtf)

UPDATE (keep refreshing for breaking news): What an awful way to ring in 2009. It turns out that Viacom claims it has been trying to negotiate a "fair" renewal of its prized cable channels for months and months, but reputedly Time Warner Cable has been unresponsive and "unreasonable" so talks have stalled. The nation's 2nd largest cable system operator, in turn, claims Viacom is asking for "exorbitant" increases in carriage fees which would have to be passed along to the customer. So now this fight between the two Big Media giants will hurt cable viewers. At 12:01 AM on January 1st, just after the ball drops in Time Square, Time Warner Cable's 13.3 million subscribers will lose 19 Viacom channels -- Comedy Central; CMT: Pure Country; Logo; Palladia; MTV; MTV 2; MTV Hits; MTV Jams; MTV Tr3s; Nickelodeon; Noggin; Nick 2; Nicktoons; Spike; The N; TV Land; Vh1; Vh1 Classic; Vh1 Soul. The howling starts here, especially by parents home for the holidays with children who won't have access to their favorite shows like SpongeBob Squarepants and Dora The Explorer, and tweens/teens wanting to see new episodes of those new unreality Reality TV series The City and Bromance, and twentysomethings and older who get their news from The Daily Show With Jon Stewart or The Colbert Report.

This affects all U.S. Time Warner cable subscribers including those in New York and Los Angeles. Alex Dudley, a vice president at Time Warner Cable, the nation's second-largest cable operator, is telling reporters that the dispute with Viacom "is that they have asked for an exorbitant increase in their carriage fees and their network ratings are sagging." However, Nickelodeon is 2008’s No. 1 basic cable network, drawing the largest audience in its history. MTV, on the other hand, has seen ratings slide. Time Warner Cable claims it's "trying to hold the line on fees for our customer" -- but it's really worried that if Viacom gets its raises, then every cable programmer will want them. TWC claims Viacom has asked for fee increases of between 22% and 36% per channel, but Sumner Redstone's company maintains the increases would cost less than $.25 a month for the package of channels per subscriber who spend a fifth of total TV time watching Viacom shows but its fees make up less than 2.5% of the Time Warner cable bill. (Sports channels are paid the biggest cable premium). But Time Warner Cable also is complaining that Viacom's popular shows are rerun on Web sites where Viacom collects advertising revenue that it does not share with Time Warner. On the other hand, Viacom has staked much of its revenue-growth prospects on squeezing higher carriage rates out of its cable and satellite affiliates despite an ad slowdown and weaker ratings.

Such negotiation battles between cable networks and cable system operators have happened before and lasted merely hours. In 2004, for example, Viacom's cable channels disappeared from EchoStar's Dish Network for two days while both sides fought over the terms of a new contract. And Time Warner blocked ABC from its cable systems in New York during a breakdown in contract negotiations with parent company Disney. So this one will either end fast or go on forever. It probably will depend on how many subscribers start flooding Time Warner Cable with obscene calls. Viacom has already started a hardball campaign to "Call Time Warner Cable and say 'NO' " starring The Hills and South Park.

This is Viacom's just issued statement:

This move by Time Warner Cable to force such channels as Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and MTV off the air is another example of a cable company overreaching for profit at the expense of its viewers.

The renewal we are seeking is reasonable and modest relative to the profits TWC enjoys from our networks. We have asked for an increase of less than 25 cents per month, per subscriber, which adds up to less than a penny per day for all 19 of MTV Networks’ channels. We make this request because TWC has so greatly undervalued our channels for so long. Americans spend more than 20% of their TV viewing time watching our networks, yet our fees amount to less than 2.5% of what Time Warner generates from their average customer.

Throughout the country, we have negotiated equitable license agreement renewals, or are in the final stages of renewals, with virtually every cable and satellite carrier. Nevertheless, Time Warner Cable has dismissed our efforts at a fair compromise and has effectively chosen to deny its customers some of the most popular TV shows on the air.

As a result, we are sorry to say that for Time Warner Cable customers our networks will go dark as of 12:01 on January 1st, denying Time Warner customers shows like Dora the Explorer, SpongeBob SquarePants, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Colbert Report, and The Hills.

Ultimately, however, if Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, MTV and the rest of our programming is discontinued – over less than a penny per day - we believe viewers will see this behavior by their cable company as outrageous.

Time Warner Cable subscribers who are being handed a January 1st $3 monthly increase in Raleigh, Orange County, Los Angeles, and New York City are simultaneously facing the removal of beloved shows across 19 channels.

We find it a shame that Time Warner Cable remains unreasonable at this time. We hope its leadership will have a change of heart and will seek to negotiate a fair renewal agreement.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/happy-new-year-time-warner-cable-to-yank-mtv-nickeodeon-comedy-central-off-the-air/

ashbeeigh
12-31-2008, 12:46 AM
Well, Home Improvement sorta sucks.

Teenager in the 1990s = Jonathan Taylor Thomas. That's the only reason I watch it.

And I agree, Arrested Development is a good show...and not on a Viacom station.

FromWayDowntown
12-31-2008, 12:46 AM
I'm just about done with TWC. "Protecting the customer" is all fine and dandy, but the fact that TWC simply cannot find compromise with those who provide its programming is disenchanting.

I wonder if the day will come when my already-exorbitent TWC bill will cover my opportunity to choose between one local station and QVC.

dknights411
12-31-2008, 12:50 AM
This is the exact same reason why the NFL Network isn't on Time Warner. TW takes a VERY hard stance if any rate increases leads to us paying more. Viacom should have known that months ago and negotiated then.

Avitus1
12-31-2008, 12:52 AM
Yea I just saw it while I was watching "3rd Rock from the Sun." On TVLand.... but I dont want to have to pay more for these channels either...

double dammit.

T Park
12-31-2008, 12:57 AM
:lol

DirecTV....

Trainwreck2100
12-31-2008, 02:15 AM
those little pre teen fucks will be without their precious MTV

baseline bum
12-31-2008, 02:41 AM
Fuckers are ruining my viewing of Weekend at Bernie's II with this garbage message at the bottom of the screen! Figure it out yourself, Viacom fuckers... I'm not doing your goddamn work for you.

dirk4mvp
12-31-2008, 03:05 AM
Good thing they started showing fresh prince on bet.

J.T.
12-31-2008, 03:21 AM
I can still get Daily Show and Colbert Report online so really no loss for me here. It's absolutely glorious that MTV and its infinite knockoff stations are going off the air, though. MTV is a fucking joke now, and they're bitching about the ratings taking a hit when all they program is trash now.

baseline bum
12-31-2008, 03:34 AM
I can still get Daily Show and Colbert Report online so really no loss for me here. It's absolutely glorious that MTV and its infinite knockoff stations are going off the air, though. MTV is a fucking joke now, and they're bitching about the ratings taking a hit when all they program is trash now.

LOL... yeah fuck MTV. Fab 5 Freddy's rolling around in his grave with what MTV have devolved into.

BlackSwordsMan
12-31-2008, 07:41 AM
I lost G4TV

Clandestino
12-31-2008, 08:35 AM
First NFL Network, then ABC, now VIACOM??? it is TWC that is being greedy. They already charge more for less than all the other cable providers however they keep bitching about protecting the consumer.

TWC is soooo full of shit. The only reason people have them is because they are too lazy to switch or they are forced to because of where they live.

Taco
12-31-2008, 08:41 AM
My granddaughter just called and told me she was angry :wow

I said why? she said, because they are going to take NOGGIN off the air.

http://www.noggin.com/img/nav/noggin_logo.gif
http://www.noggin.com/index.php

poor Baby :depressed

TwAnKiEs
12-31-2008, 08:59 AM
lol my daughter watches that also...

Eff you TW... I'm willing to pay the $3 througout the year increase. You just caused baby WW3 , thank you!

:flipoff

leemajors
12-31-2008, 09:32 AM
My granddaughter just called and told me she was angry :wow

I said why? she said, because they are going to take NOGGIN off the air.

http://www.noggin.com/img/nav/noggin_logo.gif
http://www.noggin.com/index.php

poor Baby :depressed

yeah my daughter will be disappointed, she loves Max and Ruby. Guess she'll be watching Disney Channel instead.

robino2001
12-31-2008, 10:05 AM
This is the exact same reason why the NFL Network isn't on Time Warner. TW takes a VERY hard stance if any rate increases leads to us paying more. Viacom should have known that months ago and negotiated then.

TW refuses to pay more for what they air but they still pass on the rate increases to the customer... As soon as I possibly could, I got rid of TW and refuse to ever go back. After having TW both in SA and Austin and dealing with their absolute horrendous customer service, I'll gladly pay a little more to have a better service. Even helping my parents set up their new tv and TW boxes this last week pained me to see the stuck-in-the-90's menus that TW has. Even the tiniest things like that are so far behind.

sa_butta
12-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Well this sucks. My daughter watches Nick and I like to watch Spike for the UFC events and my wife watches some shows on VH1. Im sick of TW but I cant do anything with their price lock guarantee. Its not a price lock its a customer lock. Fuck you very much TW.

Bigzax
12-31-2008, 10:14 AM
i feel for you TW customers...i'd go nuts without noggin...guilt free babysitting...:tu

hopefully the greedy bastards on both sides come to some sort of understanding...

leemajors
12-31-2008, 10:16 AM
eh, if i can't get Uverse, which i can't, there really isn't a better alternative at all. i have issues with digital cable sometimes, but haven't had a problem with roadrunner in years.

Opinionater
12-31-2008, 10:25 AM
IMHO people have become too attached to TV. Get out and enjoy life and stop wasting so much of it in front of a screen. Baby sitting TV?

Hook Dem
12-31-2008, 10:26 AM
Uverse rules!

MoSpur
12-31-2008, 10:33 AM
I had DirecTV for over six years and really never had any problems. I recently switched over to U-Verse. I like it a lot so far. We'll see.

ORION
12-31-2008, 10:34 AM
Time Warner always treats me pretty good because of who I am....

Bigzax
12-31-2008, 10:39 AM
IMHO people have become too attached to TV. Get out and enjoy life and stop wasting so much of it in front of a screen. Baby sitting TV?

1st you've heard of people letting their kids watch cartoons?

Noggin is like pre-school. Teaches them about shapes, numbers, colors, and also life's hard lessons...the dangers of alcohol abuse, drug use, and prostitution...it's great!

King
12-31-2008, 10:52 AM
What on earth is taking UVerse so long to expand? My brother, who lives across the street - literally, across the street - has had it for about six months. I have TW, and have been biding time until making the switch to uverse, but this kind of crap is making me want to switch to Dish (or Directv, whichever) and to uverse once it's available.

JoeChalupa
12-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Mouse was saying Uverse rocks. He got the whole enchilada for like $80 a month for phone, tv and internet. I did the price lock w/TW. :bang

sa_butta
12-31-2008, 11:01 AM
Time Warner always treats me pretty good because of who I am....
Well Timmy Im sure they will find a way to get you the channels you need.

Dr. Gonzo
12-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Does Uverse offer the MLB network that is starting up?

ORION
12-31-2008, 11:26 AM
Well Timmy Im sure they will find a way to get you the channels you need.

You should see Manu's package......his cable package.....damn it ... the pack he got from Time Warner. He has telemundo X. Its all the telemundo channels but the girls are all nude

Dr. Gonzo
12-31-2008, 11:26 AM
I just finished talking to the U-Verse people and I get way more with Time Warner than they can offer me. For what I get now I would be paying $50 more per month.

ashbeeigh
12-31-2008, 11:33 AM
I just finished talking to the U-Verse people and I get way more with Time Warner than they can offer me. For what I get now I would be paying $50 more per month.

I was surprised the offer Uverse in our area finally. I check every time something like this comes up and it isn't offered. I was going to call you out on it not being available (or Babcock being the dividing line..which would suck major balls). But, holy crap it's finally available. I'll have to do some more checking when I get a chance.

If they do indeed get rid of all these channels I will have to switch.

Trainwreck2100
12-31-2008, 11:39 AM
I was surprised the offer Uverse in our area finally. I check every time something like this comes up and it isn't offered. I was going to call you out on it not being available (or Babcock being the dividing line..which would suck major balls). But, holy crap it's finally available. I'll have to do some more checking when I get a chance.

Remember when ksat was telling people to switch, and nothing ever became of that?

ashbeeigh
12-31-2008, 11:41 AM
Remember when ksat was telling people to switch, and nothing ever became of that?

But I also said this:

Trainwreck2100
12-31-2008, 11:46 AM
why sign a two year commitment with satellite, for a couple channels?

ORION
12-31-2008, 11:47 AM

I will talk to Manu and see if he can get you guys a good deal

jcrod
12-31-2008, 01:02 PM
My kiddos sure love Noggin, this would be my breaking point, but i doubt it will come to them turning it off.

T Park
12-31-2008, 01:06 PM

Why go with a cable network that is constantly in turmoil?

robino2001
12-31-2008, 01:12 PM

In Austin though, the date was 6 weeks before KSAT's and Austin went without their NBC affiliate on TW for quite a time... 4, 5, 6 weeks maybe?

mrsmaalox
12-31-2008, 01:15 PM
I probably don't watch enough television for the changes to make a big difference to me, but when I do turn on the tv I want to be able to find something entertaining right away. I would consider U-verse, but damn it if I am going to add 10 more undecipherable pages to AT&T's already 50 page "added convenience of one monthly bill"!!

S_A_Longhorn
12-31-2008, 04:07 PM

Yet, Time Warner had no problems raising rates when they see fit. How dare Viacom tell Time Warner to raise prices! :lol

mexicanjunior
12-31-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm so glad I don't have to deal with Time Warner anymore (except I miss On-Demand). Dish Network has been greatness since day 1 to me...

JoeChalupa
01-02-2009, 12:18 PM
It all worked out.

I. Hustle
01-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Didn't work out for me. I went to Time warner to get the HD box for my tv and when I got home I had EVERY channel that they offered. I had like 10 cartoon channels for the kids, 15 sports channels for me, all those girly channels for the wife and all the movie channels. Then that stupid shit happened and they did some kind of update and I lost all the stuff I was getting for free. :td

ClingingMars
01-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Watch Arrested Development for real laughs.

I'm so addicted to this show, and can't wait for the movie.

-Mars

ploto
01-05-2009, 12:50 AM
Didn't work out for me. I went to Time warner to get the HD box for my tv and when I got home I had EVERY channel that they offered. I had like 10 cartoon channels for the kids, 15 sports channels for me, all those girly channels for the wife and all the movie channels. Then that stupid shit happened and they did some kind of update and I lost all the stuff I was getting for free. :td

I think everyone gets those channels free for a few days so that maybe you will add them.

Ginofan
01-05-2009, 09:27 AM
I probably don't watch enough television for the changes to make a big difference to me, but when I do turn on the tv I want to be able to find something entertaining right away. I would consider U-verse, but damn it if I am going to add 10 more undecipherable pages to AT&T's already 50 page "added convenience of one monthly bill"!!

We have u-verse for the TV and internet, but our bill comes seperately from our phone bill for some reason.

Blake
01-05-2009, 09:57 AM
I can't wait til HEB comes out with their own brand cable TV

to21
01-05-2009, 10:43 AM
I can't wait til HEB comes out with their own brand cable TV:lol Hill Country Fare Cable Television.

phyzik
01-05-2009, 02:10 PM
I think everyone gets those channels free for a few days so that maybe you will add them.

No, what happens is the boxes are re-used. The previous person who used the box must have had all of the channels. The box stores that information even after being disconnected. It wont update until TWC does a push. Its not illegal or anything like that, its just the nature of the beast.

One could order a PPV event, disconnect their box and hook it up somewhere else that has TWC and you would be able to watch the fight since the box has the unlock code saved on it but I think that would be walking a fine line with regards to being legal though.