View Full Version : Mutombo back with Rockets

bigdog
12-31-2008, 01:00 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6187183.html

Rockets bring Mutombo aboard
Center says he's in shape, needs time on court
By JONATHAN FEIGEN Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
Dec. 30, 2008, 2:52PM

The Rockets reached an agreement with veteran center Dikembe Mutombo on Tuesday, Rockets GM Daryl Morey said.

Mutombo was signed for the remainder of the season at a pro-rated veteran's minimum contract.

"I let a lot of money go. I felt a lot of pressure Yao Ming and Tracy (McGrady) every day calling me, (saying) 'We need you. We need your leadership in the locker room. We need your spirit, something to get us going,' " Mutombo said. "Yao called this morning and said, 'I don't want to hear bad news. I need to hear good news.'

"It was very difficult the past four months. I didn't know what would happen," Mutombo said. "I was surprised to see Houston come into the picture. I thought it would be Boston or San Antonio. I told the kids Daddy would be playing there."

Mutombo said he is in good enough shape to play but needs time on the court.

He was not sure if he would join the Rockets for a five-game trip that begins Friday at Toronto but added that Yao has insisted he be with the team. The Rockets host the Milwaukee Bucks on New Year's Eve.

"I almost haven't touched a ball in six months. I shoot the ball in the park with my kid. I am not a shooter anyway," said Mutombo, a career 52 percent shooter. "As long as I can rebound and block shots, that's what's important."

Mutombo appeared in 39 games with the Rockets last year, starting 25 primarily while Yao Ming was out with a foot injury.

In 1,187 career games, he has 3,278 blocked shots and trails career leader Hakeem Olajuwon by 552.

When he makes his debut for the Rockets, Mutombo, 42, will be playing in his 18th season.

Move to the Basketball News forum if you want, just though I'd post it here since there was speculation about him coming to the Spurs.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
12-31-2008, 01:15 AM
Who wants to sex Mutombo?

mrspurs
12-31-2008, 07:37 AM
The league knew where he was going.

Chieflion
12-31-2008, 08:17 AM
Somehow he ends up not wanting a ring.

Rogue
12-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Somehow he ends up not wanting a ring.
Not true, he hasn't said he is gonna retire after this season.

Maybe he'll keep playing basketball till the end of the world. Whenever Mutombo is still alive, he is still definitely a basketball player. Mutombo is a miracle of the league, a living fossile who represents the belief of living forever.

He will perhaps join the spurs to take the rebounding work from duncan after Duncan retires.:lmao Don't be surprised when you see Mutombo being coached by Bosh or Stoudmire.