PDA

View Full Version : Are the Spurs SOFT?

tlongII
12-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Now Duncan isn't soft, we all know that. But as a "team", do you think the Spurs are soft? I mean they have Matt Bonner playing the 4 or 5 frequently. Kurt Thomas doesn't intimidate anybody. Ginobili and Parker are skinny. They don't rebound well or block a lot of shots. Are they soft?

TDMVPDPOY
12-31-2008, 12:27 PM
soft got the spurs 4 rings.....

/thread.

Quiet Strength
12-31-2008, 12:28 PM

/thread.

:toast

ORION
12-31-2008, 12:30 PM
Now Duncan isn't soft, we all know that. But as a "team", do you think the Spurs are soft? I mean they have Matt Bonner playing the 4 or 5 frequently. Kurt Thomas doesn't intimidate anybody. Ginobili and Parker are skinny. They don't rebound well or block a lot of shots. Are they soft?

Thanks for that, but I wouldn't call us soft. I'm just on cruise control right now. Its hard to get pumped up for these games because they mean nothing right now. If you want I can talk to the guys and see if we can pick it up a little.

Fpoonsie
12-31-2008, 12:30 PM

/thread.

Indeed.

Questions That Were Answered in '99 and Beyond Forum

dbestpro
12-31-2008, 12:35 PM
The NBA is soft. I keep waiting for the floppers and flailers to get their T but I guess the idea of playing real ball is still foreign to the NBA.

smeagol
12-31-2008, 12:39 PM
Soft bastards with the best record in sports (or is it second best?)

TDMVPDPOY
12-31-2008, 12:42 PM
if tlong wants a good example of soft?

he should be more worried of that 60yr old center they got starting on the blazers....

m33p0
12-31-2008, 12:47 PM
nah... spurs ain't soft. they're dirty, remember?

tlongII
12-31-2008, 12:50 PM
The rings the Spurs have were won with the likes of David Robinson, Robert Horry, and Mario Elie. Those guys weren't soft, but the Spurs don't have them anymore.

TDMVPDPOY
12-31-2008, 01:15 PM
The rings the Spurs have were won with the likes of David Robinson, Robert Horry, and Mario Elie. Those guys weren't soft, but the Spurs don't have them anymore.

spurs still have bruce bowen, who would slide his feet on you or undercut you if you pissed him off.....

and tim duncans stare is enough to kill your confidence....

Tully365
12-31-2008, 01:15 PM
tlongll is very good at asking those seemingly innocent questions that are really designed just to provoke people... it's funny stuff.

TDMVPDPOY
12-31-2008, 01:32 PM
tlongll is very good at asking those seemingly innocent questions that are really designed just to provoke people... it's funny stuff.

he made this thread after makin a thread about aldridge aint soft....:nope

MoSpur
12-31-2008, 01:40 PM
The Spurs are in need of someone like an Ellie or an Horry. I thought and hoped Udoka would be that someone, but it doesn't seem like that.

TDMVPDPOY
12-31-2008, 01:51 PM
matt bonner......is the enforcer on this team, too bad when he sucks, he really sucks

hitmanyr2k
12-31-2008, 01:55 PM
Yeah, they're soft and it all starts with their leader. I posted this the other day in the "Did Michael Jordan ever take a game off" thread.

It's one of the reasons I sometimes get ill watching Tim Duncan and the Spurs play. There are MANY games where his heart doesn't seem to be in it, he gets out-hustled, whines like a bitch, and plays like a flat out scrub. I know the mantra of this board is to blame it on back to backs (oooh poor Timmy is tired) and all that bullshit but the fact of the matter is Tim Duncan takes games off whether it's physically, mentally or both. And it filters right down to his team.

TDMVPDPOY
12-31-2008, 01:59 PM
dude td is allowed to do watever he desires.....and he gets a free pass on it....= 4 rings i dont give a shit as far im concerned. Its a long season, and i know he will turn it up in the playoffs.....

fyatuk
12-31-2008, 02:06 PM

David Robinson is usually listed as being a major contributer to the historical view that the Spurs are soft...

Pre-99 it was all the talk (Spurs are soft, Robinson's soft, etc.)

Spur-Addict
12-31-2008, 02:13 PM
Bottom line is this:

We need an additional interior defender/finisher to go along with Tim. We may have to give up a guard to do so. And no, i'm not referring to those two.

mrspurs
12-31-2008, 03:27 PM
Tlong I dont think any team in the NBA is soft. Sometimes they play soft for whatever reasons. We are not soft and this isnt the same team that won 4 rings. If anything we just dont have enough talent inside the paint. And with that being said, I think the rest of the NBA brings everything they have because they see a Spurs team they might FINALLY be able to beat. For to many years we have owned so many. Now they only see Timmy under the paint, so they're gonna drive in and drive in and drive in. And so far imo we havnt really stopped it. I agreed with Timvp when the season started. If Ian doesnt play up to par, we may not get far into the POs. And for those who say these games dont count? Yeah sure they dont. One thing Ive noticed that I didnt until we traded for Kurt is this. When Timmy sits for a rest, teams go on a roll and get confident. We then struggle to get back into the game. Even the sorry teams have alot of talent these days. Imo alot will also depend on Manu's play. If he's just shooting shots and not driving the ball like he used to. Its not gonna help us. If we dont go all the way I wont be surprised. I dont expect Timmy and Tony to carry this team all the way to number 5. We're gonna have to play alot better on the defensive end and pray for alot of 3s. Dang that sounds like what Nellie might be saying everywhere he coaches.

Tully365
12-31-2008, 03:40 PM
David Robinson is usually listed as being a major contributer to the historical view that the Spurs are soft...

Pre-99 it was all the talk (Spurs are soft, Robinson's soft, etc.)

Exactly. Opinions change game by game for people who don't see the big picture. I can still remember when TV announcers and other so-called basketball experts liked to say that Jordan was a great individual talent, but he didn't make his team better, unlike Magic and Bird. Six rings later, no one would dare say that, but in Michael's first 3 or 4 seasons, that was a popular assessment.

Solid D
12-31-2008, 06:40 PM
http://www.hoopsvibe.com/IMG/steve_blake-arton20871-240x240.jpg
http://a1468.g.akamai.net/f/1468/580/1d/pics.Drugstore.com/prodimg/87980/300.jpg

Austin_Toros
12-31-2008, 07:41 PM
nah... spurs ain't soft. they're dirty, remember?

i wouldnt call them too soft
TD isnt badass but he wont take shit
bowen has made a name for himself as a dirty player (as ray allen publicly stated)
but we do have some Argentinian floppers (according to rick kamla)

and matt bonner is a little white....hang on! he dropped kevin garnett.
now thats gangster! :ihit

Rogue
12-31-2008, 10:03 PM
As a team the spurs are soft, but we have duncan at least. The mavs don't have duncan so they are even softer than spurs, but they are still contending in the west. Bonner is pretty soft compared to the league's other PFs and centers, but how about Dirk? The fact of the matter is that you can't make up your team with 15 Duncan-like guys, sometimes the soft guys can be a ideal addition to the tough guys.

Basketball is not fight, toughness is not the only factor that determins the result of a game. The young teams are undoubtedly tougher than the veteran teams like Spurs, but the thunders have show that they are not as good as the spurs who are very soft.

Fabbs
12-31-2008, 10:45 PM
How 'bout when Mike Finley swings over and plays the 4.

Tough enough for you?