PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Rubio to skip 2009 NBA draft

AnotherArgie
12-31-2008, 12:56 PM
According to spanish newspaper 20 Minutos: http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/440193/0/rubio/joventut/nba/

Ricky Rubio (18 yo) will skip the 2009 NBA draft. He doesn't want to go to the NBA without assured playing time. I guess from the article that he wants to keep improving his game in order to sign with a lottery team.

Right now, Rubio makes something like 8k euros per month, and has a 6 million euros release clause in his contract, until 2011. He's in talks with Joventut in order to have a new contract and lower the release clause.

AnotherArgie
12-31-2008, 12:57 PM
20 Minutos is a lousy newspaper, so please take everything with a grain of salt.

JordanL
12-31-2008, 01:03 PM
20 Minutos is a lousy newspaper, so please take everything with a grain of salt.

There's also the tiny detail about him not being able to declare for the 2009 draft because of his age and birthday.

Matchman
12-31-2008, 01:06 PM
so now every euro wants garanteed playing time before coming over to the NBA. what happened to the "you earn your own playing time" rule?

Kill_Bill_Pana
12-31-2008, 01:09 PM
There's also the tiny detail about him not being able to declare for the 2009 draft because of his age and birthday.

He is eligible for the NBA draft already. He is 18 years old right now. 1990 births = eligible for 2009 NBA Draft.

Kill_Bill_Pana
12-31-2008, 01:10 PM
so now every euro wants garanteed playing time before coming over to the NBA. what happened to the "you earn your own playing time" rule?

It is well know in Europe that players that have a big name in Europe will all demand this now before coming to NBA. Is common practice ever since Spanoulis-JVG situation.

Kill_Bill_Pana
12-31-2008, 01:11 PM

I am sure it is true. He is not at all ready for NBA level at moment.

DaDakota
12-31-2008, 01:12 PM
I don't blame them, they should do whatever is in the best interest of their own career.

DD

mavs>spurs2
12-31-2008, 01:12 PM
If he's any good then he will earn his own playing time I don't see what the problem is. Makes him look like a big fat pussy like V-Span

Kill_Bill_Pana
12-31-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't blame them, they should do whatever is in the best interest of their own career.

DD

It start with players like Navarro and Fernandez so I am sure Rubio will do same. It was mention quite a few times that Navarro and Fernadez make such demands and use Spanoulis-JVG issue as example to NBA clubs before they would join them.

Kill_Bill_Pana
12-31-2008, 01:23 PM
If he's any good then he will earn his own playing time I don't see what the problem is. Makes him look like a big fat pussy like V-Span

You are idiot. Some American coaches hate Euro players.

Freeze
12-31-2008, 01:46 PM

You are idiot, every US coach like more winning games than they do hate euro players !

Ricky Rubio agent didn't say that he will skip 2009 draft, but that he is considering it as he only turned 18 few days ago, and will still be 18 at the begining of the next season, wich is very young to come overseas. They also think that one more year as a top player in a good euro-team may be better for his devlopment than a situation ala Milicic.

Kill_Bill_Pana
12-31-2008, 01:53 PM
You are idiot, every US coach like more winning games than they do hate euro players !

Ricky Rubio agent didn't say that he will skip 2009 draft, but that he is considering it as he only turned 18 few days ago, and will still be 18 at the begining of the next season, wich is very young to come overseas. They also think that one more year as a top player in a good euro-team may be better for his devlopment than a situation ala Milicic.

He is not a top player in Europe at this time. He is one of better players on maybe a mid level Euroleague team.

mavs>spurs2
12-31-2008, 02:57 PM

I hate Euro's in general

monosylab1k
12-31-2008, 02:58 PM
Rubio > Calderon > Navarro > V-Span

DANILO DRASKOVIC
12-31-2008, 03:03 PM

it's all about Ws
it doesnt matter what country you are from

Kill_Bill_Pana
12-31-2008, 03:21 PM
Rubio > Calderon > Navarro > V-Span

:rollin

You are joke.

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?clubcode=jov&pcode=LFW&seasoncode=e2008

Rubio is 4 points 3 assists 2 rebounds 3 steals as rookie and 0 points 2 rebounds 2 assists 1 steal as 2nd year player in highest level in Europe.

Sure he is great talent but he just an 18 years kid. He is not even close to level of players like Navarro and Spanoulis at this time. :rollin

Calderon?????????????

You are crazy. Calderon is worst defensive point guard in NBA probably. Even Jasikevicius is far better at defense than him. Even I would take Rubio over him now I think. Calderon is great shooter and that is it. Spanoulis completely dominates him every time Spain plays Greece. Navarro is also much better than Calderon.

Calderon is just fake stats player. There is no substance to him at all.

dickface
12-31-2008, 03:26 PM
Calderon is just fake stats player. There is no substance to him at all.

All he does is just make all his shots and hit some fluke jumpers and get fluke assists.

If Kill Bill Pana and SpursDynasty are the same person, that guy goes into the Trolling Hall Of Fame today.

YellowFever
12-31-2008, 03:32 PM
If Kill Bill Pana and SpursDynasty are the same person, that guy goes into the Trolling Hall Of Fame today.

Nah, they're enough of a troll to make it seperately on their own merits without combing to form one person.

Kill_Bill_Pana
12-31-2008, 03:33 PM
All he does is just make all his shots and hit some fluke jumpers and get fluke assists.

You are person never watch him play I guess. His assist stats is such joke.

Everyone know NBA stats is all BS with the assists. Calderon never average more than 2 assists in Europe. In NBA this equal 7-9 assists but so what? Many Euro point guards like Spanoulis, Rubio, Papaloukas, Prigioni can get many more assist than him per game.

It is so very easy to get assists in NBA. Calderon would not even be top 5 in assist ability in Europe. Raptors GM is stupid or was just scare of Ford's injuries. Ford is better point guard than Calderon.

And it do not matter even what Calderon do in offense when he give up everything back in defense. NBA fans is always say how Nash suck at defense which is true but even he is way better on defense than Calderon is. Calderon should be a backup point guard in NBA that is use for making shots and not turn over the ball. If he made as leader of a team as starting point guard they will suck just like Raptors.

lefty
12-31-2008, 04:47 PM
he is burning his bridges.

Coaches and GM`s will preceive him as a major headache.

Freeze
12-31-2008, 06:12 PM
He is not a top player in Europe at this time. He is one of better players on maybe a mid level Euroleague team.

Aren't we talking about Rubio next season ?
Did I wrote he was a top player in the Euroleague, or that he could be a top player for a good Euro-team ?
As always, you understand what you want.

Anyway, stop saying that Spanoulis is better than any NBA players, he is not, he is mentally too weak to play in NBA. Since he left NBA you wrote he was the greek Steve Nash, the new Ginobili, better than Parker or T-Mac, the best Euro-player, etc.... HE IS NOT and this thread is about Ricky Rubio, not about a greek shit !

Pistons < Spurs
12-31-2008, 06:26 PM
I think this has been known for quite a while. He hasn't been on alot of the mock drafts for 2009 for several weeks. Before the season, he was on them as the first or second player to be drafted.

Kill_Bill_Pana
12-31-2008, 06:28 PM
Aren't we talking about Rubio next season ?
Did I wrote he was a top player in the Euroleague, or that he could be a top player for a good Euro-team ?
As always, you understand what you want.

Anyway, stop saying that Spanoulis is better than any NBA players, he is not, he is mentally too weak to play in NBA. Since he left NBA you wrote he was the greek Steve Nash, the new Ginobili, better than Parker or T-Mac, the best Euro-player, etc.... HE IS NOT and this thread is about Ricky Rubio, not about a greek shit !

Spanoulis is of course better than most American NBA ballers. Anyone seeing Olympia would know that.