PDA

View Full Version : Was 2008 a good one to you?

MannyIsGod
12-31-2008, 04:00 PM
Personally, it was a pretty difficult year but I feel it was also rather rewarding. Much better than 2007. What about you?

0rion
12-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Yeah I got laid alot.

I didn't know half of the dudes either.

JoeChalupa
12-31-2008, 04:04 PM
It is one year I'll never forget. Wife and I were employed, no credit or mortgage crunch, healthy kids, good grades and my Faith is as strong as ever. Yes, 2008 was a good year. Thanks for asking.

Dr. Gonzo
12-31-2008, 04:12 PM
It was a great year. I got engaged, bought a house, got to take a month to take a hard look at myself and try to deal with a lot of regret, guilt, anger and shame that had built up over a lifetime, found a new spirituality I never knew I had in me and I got sober. Bad things did happen this year but in all it was great.

I Love Me Some Me
12-31-2008, 04:15 PM
Good year. I'm healthy, family is healthy, kids are healthy...anything else is just gravy.

2centsworth
12-31-2008, 04:24 PM
it was tough, but I'm blessed. I'm going to always remember 2008 as a turning point.

Overall, 2008 was one of my best years.

ALVAREZ6
12-31-2008, 04:25 PM
2008 was the best year of my life yet...great year.

leemajors
12-31-2008, 04:27 PM
i got divorced and had to fight with my ex about custody, and now pay child support. but i'm alive, have my daughter, and am still employed. it could have been worse.

ZStomp
12-31-2008, 04:34 PM
It started off bad (the worst actually) but I guess it got better. Time.

Bigzax
12-31-2008, 04:37 PM
enjoying life day by day...family is healthy, counting my blessings.

and Gas is so cheap right now! hell yes!

Silver21_Black20
12-31-2008, 04:41 PM
My 2008 definitely had its ups and downs. Overall, it was a really good year. Got engaged, bought a house and healthy family. Bring on 2009!!!

CuckingFunt
12-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Nothing terribly exciting happened, which in and of itself is a pretty good thing. I'm happy, relatively healthy, my bills are paid, and I'm still enjoying being a student. All in all, good year.

CuckingFunt
12-31-2008, 04:43 PM
Got engaged, bought a house

Congrats on both, by the way. Can't remember if I've said that yet.

Silver21_Black20
12-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Congrats on both, by the way. Can't remember if I've said that yet.

Thanks CF!

Re-Animator
12-31-2008, 04:44 PM
It was ok up until George Carlin and Bennie Mac died.

ploto
12-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Zora Neale Huston wrote, "There are years that ask questions and years that answer them." For me, 2008 was a year that answered a lot of questions- no matter how painful it was to discover the truth in some of those answers. These answers brought freedom, though, and that is how I will remember 2008- a year to find answers that enabled me to let go.

Rohirrim
12-31-2008, 05:20 PM
Nothing too bad, nothing flat out amazing.

Bigzax
12-31-2008, 05:23 PM
enjoy it while you can...http://countdowntoapocalypse.com/

Homeland Security
12-31-2008, 05:36 PM
Terrible, terrible year. What were you thinking, America?

mrsmaalox
12-31-2008, 05:43 PM
As a parent, my children are my measure of success and happiness. This year they turned 14, 12, and 11. They have succeeded in everything they've attempted, they are smart and healthy. I am totally in awe of these beings that I have created and every year with them in my life is a blessing and a reminder of why I was put on this earth!

mexicanjunior
12-31-2008, 05:52 PM
It was a solid year...good job, great girlfriend, nice place to live, family and friends were healthy and happy...can't ask for much more.

I. Hustle
12-31-2008, 06:00 PM
My daughter is what made 2008 the best year of my life.

Debbie Downer
12-31-2008, 06:05 PM
Not too bad, thanks. Then again my doctor says, with my arteries in their condition, it's highly unlikely I'll live to see seventy.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-31-2008, 06:09 PM
2008 fucking sucked. Most expensive year of my fucking life. Fuck. Fuck. But my years go good-bad-good-bad, so 2009 is going to fucking rock. Plus I really like the sound of that "nine" when you say the year.

atxrocker
12-31-2008, 06:18 PM
mixed bag. felt like a really shitty year overall despite a couple positives. looking forward to putting it all behind me coming into '09. it better be fucking good.

tlongII
12-31-2008, 06:52 PM
It was ahight.

JudynTX
12-31-2008, 06:55 PM
It was the most difficult year for me. I know that 2009 will be a better year, it has to be.

RashoFan
12-31-2008, 07:10 PM
Got my elbow fixed, back at my FD again, paid off all my bills, job pays good and I can do some things I have been wanting to do but had to put off due to finances...

love life sucked balls but there may be potential for something great to come... met someone just the other day and so far..:tu

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-31-2008, 07:27 PM
Kind of a tough call. I'm pretty much right where I was at the beginning of 2008, which at the end of 2007 was about as good as life had ever been. 2008 was supposed to be year for big plans, and for one reason or another none of them ever came together. I'm still not sure if stable or stagnant would be the best description for this year.

T Park
12-31-2008, 08:56 PM
^^^ Damn, pretty much same here. Almost word for word.

spurschick
01-01-2009, 01:07 AM
Could have been better, could have been worse. Odd-number years are always better for me anyways. :hat

Cupid
01-01-2009, 01:29 AM
It was a good year and I hope to do better next year...........Manny.

td4mvp21
01-01-2009, 01:29 AM
Oh yeah. I graduated high school, won a new car, started college, gained some friends, lost some friends I didn't need, had overall good health, and got to spend lots of time with my family :toast

JoeChalupa
01-01-2009, 01:36 AM
I hope you keep it to continue.

T Park
01-01-2009, 03:25 AM
Oh yeah. I graduated high school, won a new car, started college, gained some friends, lost some friends I didn't need, had overall good health, and got to spend lots of time with my family :toast

Damn, congrats on the car, what did you win?

duncan228
01-01-2009, 03:50 AM
Damn, congrats on the car, what did you win?

Here's the thread from when he won it.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96469

IronMexican
01-01-2009, 05:08 AM
I dropped out and lost my girl. It fucking sucked.

smeagol
01-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Kids are growing and are healthy, both my wife and I are still employed, I've lost 15 pounds . . . all in all, good year.

2009 will be very tough, though.

SpursWoman
01-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Could have been better, could have been worse. Odd-number years are always better for me anyways. :hat

You know, I've always thought the same exact thing. I have always seemed to have better years on odd-numbered birthdays, too. And it's 2009 & 37 this year, so I'm pretty excited right about now. :lol :)

angel_luv
01-01-2009, 11:16 AM
2008 was a good year- a lot of transtition and change but almost all of it was into happier situations- new place to live, new boss, new fiancee, greater involvement/ increased friendships in church etc.

Every transitions has had its challenges but in retrospect I can honestly say all of it was/ is worth it.

Thank God for an excellent 2008 and an ever better 2009 for me and all of us! :D

sa_butta
01-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Not really happy with 2008 overall, but 09 will be much better. I cant complain too much, everyone is healthy and our baby will be here in two months.

HighLowLobForBig-50
01-01-2009, 03:30 PM
2008 was the greatest of my 29 years by far. i got my little brother back from the navy/iraq , not only that, he moved back to texas and we joined forces to get my business kickin ass. i didnt wait on a single table in 08' ! let me see, i quit drinking after years of beers. made that look easy BTW, still cant wrap my head around that one. thank you Lord, it was 6 months on christmas and im not lookin back! after 29 long ,long years im finally living my dream. got my car last august and raced the last 10 er so races of the season. the last of which i tore that car up. im proud to say in about 6 hours it will be race ready,and all by my two hands. wow. i wish i could explain in words the benefits to one's mind body and soul of being able to live your dream. seriously, if there is any way possible- do it. between those 3 main things alone, 08' was the best year of my life, thanks for asking.

CharlieMac
01-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Got a divorce.

New baby.

Amazing job.

No complaints.

Rogue
01-02-2009, 12:25 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=14710&dateline=1230361270&type=profile
it's definitely a great year for her

Trainwreck2100
01-02-2009, 01:21 AM
shitty start
ok middle
shitty end.

Last Comic Standing
01-02-2009, 01:33 AM
shitty start
ok middle
shitty end.

When did you see Chris Duel do stand up?

Bigzax
01-02-2009, 10:59 AM
:lol

Darrin
01-02-2009, 11:46 AM
2008 gave me a lot of lessons to learn. In other words, life knocked me on my hindparts this past year.

BacktoBasics
01-02-2009, 12:05 PM
It was a tougher than expected year. My pay was down about 12k. The wife made up about half that amount working. We got by just not like I wanted to. We accomplished about half what we originally set out to accomplish in 2008. Its almost a waiting game for the economy to strengthen up so we can finish up some of the stuff we started. My faith in no Jesus is stronger than even and our collective prayers continue to be answered by our own free will. The kids are growing up nicely and my boy has sprung a kick ass vocabulary. 2009 will be the year of some loose ends to be tied up. I'm excited.

Jesus
01-02-2009, 12:09 PM
It was a tougher than expected year. My pay was down about 12k. The wife made up about half that amount working. We got by just not like I wanted to. We accomplished about half what we originally set out to accomplish in 2008. Its almost a waiting game for the economy to strengthen up so we can finish up some of the stuff we started. My faith in no Jesus is stronger than even and our collective prayers continue to be answered by our own free will. The kids are growing up nicely and my boy has sprung a kick ass vocabulary. 2009 will be the year of some loose ends to be tied up. I'm excited.

I hear the prayers of non-believers.

florige
01-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Not really happy with 2008 overall, but 09 will be much better. I cant complain too much, everyone is healthy and our baby will be here in two months.

Hopefully not with a Dolphins win Sunday....:lol

florige
01-02-2009, 01:10 PM
I dropped out and lost my girl. It fucking sucked.

Well go back to school AND get another girl.

AlamoSpursFan
01-02-2009, 02:02 PM
According to my last pay statement, I made just over 11k more than I did in 2007, so I guess it was a good year, but I'm still effing broke most of the time so who knows.

2009 should be better because Mrs. ASF graduates and is already 99% hired. Just need the degree and we'll be a 2 income family once again. Woohoo!

Horn Tooter
01-02-2009, 02:08 PM
I make almost 25K more in 2008 than I did in 2007. I sold off my condo in FL and made a killing. Finally got that Escalade I've had my eye on and the Hummer is running great. 2009 will be one of my best.

ashbeeigh
01-02-2009, 02:09 PM
It was alright.

I've grown a lot personally. I did some things that were a long time coming and I hope I continue to grow in those areas.

Financially I'm worse then ever, but thank God for parents who are there for their kids. Professionally I'm where I was last year, still looking for that one thing that will jump start my life in the way I've always planned it. I'm still waiting.

Mentally I need to get settled again, go back to where my roots are,..God, prayer, church, etc. That'll take some time though. I'm still trying to accept my little sister's big moves, getting married, possibly moving, even having kids at her young age. heck, at 17 the only thing I was worried about was who was going to be my roommate in a year and if I was going to be in a sorority. And she's married.

And like most people, I need to get on the gym bandwagon. Who wants to start going to the gym with me?

sa_butta
01-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Hopefully not with a Dolphins win Sunday....:lol
that would be the start of a very good 09.

marini martini
01-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Pretty good year for me. Since I just remember the good stuff, and try to forget the bad.:toast

Thanks to ST and Slomo, I've learned to mult-quote, change my avatar, embed u-tube, and photos, and learn how to spell check! :lol Also one of mouse's trolls helped me fix my p.c. by pressing a few buttons!! I was lucky enough to finally meet a few of you at some gtg's. I've also managed to make some good friends, and pretty much care and feel close to most all of you.

Had our first precious grandson in April. Youngest daughter move out of our house in November. None of our kids went to jail, or asked to borrow large sums of money. We are all healthy. We managed to pay all our taxes, and are relatively debt free, except for fkn' taxes and insurance!!! Mr. Martini and I learned to cherish our time together, and are closer today than when we first met.

Looking forward to see what the New Year brings. Hope the best for all of you and yours!
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff231/marini-martini/happy_new_year_rainbow_stars.gif

2Blonde
01-02-2009, 10:26 PM
I was lucky enough to finally meet a few of you at some gtg's. I've also managed to make some good friends, and pretty much care and feel close to most all of you.
Back at you... :makeout

None of our kids went to jail, or asked to borrow large sums of money.

:lmao

2Blonde
01-02-2009, 10:34 PM
I thought 2008 was truly a year of change. I feel very blessed for all of the wonderful things in my life. My daughter and my husband being the most important. My daughter is changing before my eyes and growing into an amazing young woman full of strength, character and a good work ethic I never knew existed in her. My husband finally believed what I saw in him and went forward to receive the recognition he deserved at work. The election was also a period of great change. I went on a diet and got back down to my normal weight.

Overall, I am happy, content, loved and.... another year older and still breathing.:toast

Duff McCartney
01-02-2009, 11:03 PM
It wasn't that great of a year for me. In fact it was probably the worst I've ever had. My parents lost their home to forclosure and now I'm in a tough situation living with my cousin. It's tough to pay rent and go to school and work only part time. Very tough.

I feel like so many people took advantage of me this past year and so many things that were supposed to happen didn't.

I've never been closer to becoming celibate than I am now. If there ever was a year that I lost my entire faith in women it was this year.

I've never been sure that all people want to do is treat you bad. That our university system sucks...that our police force sucks. Nobody is ever out to help each other...everyone is just out for themselves and that really brought me down this year. All in all I've lost my entire faith in humanity this year.

ashbeeigh
01-02-2009, 11:23 PM
It wasn't that great of a year for me....

Oh man Duff, you had a crappy year! I hope this one gets better.

I wish you posted more I would have gotten your parents a housing counselor who could have worked with your parents (if this happened after April).

I don't have a family that's lost their home to foreclsoure, but I did have to talk to someone who I have been working with since May to save their house today about their house going up for sale on Tuesday. I almost starting crying for her and her family because we had been working so hard to save the house.

Hang in there! I know a lot of the posters here give you hell for stuff that has happened well in the past (I mean, even before I started posting). I'll be thinking of you and your family.

Duff McCartney
01-02-2009, 11:39 PM
I wish you posted more I would have gotten your parents a housing counselor who could have worked with your parents (if this happened after April).

It didn't. It happened in March. It really was tough and it was even worse for my mom I think. She took it really hard. Its never just a house...I'm sure alot of people have been through what we have although I'm not sure on this board...but it was more than just that. It was home...it was our memories.

It was the culmination of what my mom and stepdad came to this country for. It might not have been the biggest house or the best..but it was theirs for all of 5 years.

Now it's gone and we can't get it back, it's been bought by a flipper...I think that's what they call them. After that it felt like our entire core family was scattered to the wind...my mom and stepdad somewhere..I'm somewhere else and my sister also somewhere else.

But it wasn't just that..it was a culmination of that and other things. My own personal relationships with people..girls..it really has been a horrible year.

TDMVPDPOY
01-02-2009, 11:48 PM
fuck 2008, its 2009 and cant wait for start of year lotto drawings....i usually pick the spurs numbers....

ashbeeigh
01-03-2009, 12:00 AM
It didn't. It happened in March. It really was tough and it was even worse for my mom I think. She took it really hard. Its never just a house...I'm sure alot of people have been through what we have although I'm not sure on this board...but it was more than just that. It was home...it was our memories.

It was the culmination of what my mom and stepdad came to this country for. It might not have been the biggest house or the best..but it was theirs for all of 5 years.

Now it's gone and we can't get it back, it's been bought by a flipper...I think that's what they call them. After that it felt like our entire core family was scattered to the wind...my mom and stepdad somewhere..I'm somewhere else and my sister also somewhere else.

But it wasn't just that..it was a culmination of that and other things. My own personal relationships with people..girls..it really has been a horrible year.

I see it and witness it all the time. I'm so sorry it happened to someone here. With my job I see it daily. I had someone come in a few days before Christmas with stacks of letters from lawyers trying to take their money to save their "memories" with what money exactly? (but anyway). The worst one in the stack was a handwritten note from a family asking them to buy their house "We don't mind the repairs...blah blah blah blah." They can't repair the

I don't know how or when the pain of that will heal. Heck, we have a house that we lived in down the street from our current house that we sold and I still drive past every once in a while, and even dream about it. That was in 1997. I know us selling the house and you all having the house foreclosed doesn't compare, but losing the memories does. And a flipper! We'll just hope he can't sell it and it sits on the market for a while. Or a good family buys it and begins the same memories you all had there.

baseline bum
01-03-2009, 12:22 AM
Good riddance to 2008.

manufor3
01-03-2009, 12:34 AM
so-so

bad year for music
good year for movies
bad year as far as my friends go

Jekka
01-03-2009, 12:41 AM
It was a hard year, but I left it feeling accomplished, which isn't too shabby when I think about it. I spent a lot of it jumping through fiery hoops of academic/organizational bureaucracy and survived, and it reinforced what I already knew, which is that my support system - friends, Manny, and family - are really amazing. I feel pretty lucky, and I have high hopes for 2009.

vincent
01-03-2009, 04:38 AM
It will be the most memorable year for me. I finished my Bachelor's degree then I went to Germany to continue my study. Life is really great for me in 2008. But I hope 2009 will be even better:)