PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Could Get Oberto Back, In Time For New Years

duncan228
12-31-2008, 05:29 PM
Jeff McDonald: Spurs could get Oberto back, in time for New Years (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2008/12/jeff-mcdonald-s-22.html)

Fabricio Oberto went through a vigorous two-on-two workout following the Spurs' Wednesday practice session, proof the center could be just days away from returning from the injured list.

Oberto has missed eight of the past nine games dealing with a strained muscle in his left foot. He tried to play on it before being shut down for good prior to a Dec. 18 game at Orlando.

"I was trying to see if the pain was going to go away," Oberto said Wednesday. "It was starting to get worse. Sometimes, you have to be careful."

If Oberto can get through Friday morning's shootaround, he could be available to play in that night's game against Memphis.

"I'm confident," Oberto said. "I've still got two days, so we'll see. I've got to ask the doctors. If they give me the green light, then OK."

When Oberto does return, it will be interesting to see where he gets his minutes. Veteran Kurt Thomas has fared well in taking on an expanded role in Oberto's absence.

mexicanjunior
12-31-2008, 05:35 PM
[B][URL="http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2008/12/jeff-mcdonald-s-22.html"]
When Oberto does return, it will be interesting to see where he gets his minutes. Veteran Kurt Thomas has fared well in taking on an expanded role in Oberto's absence.

He probably will move into the starting lineup and take Bonner's minutes after his 2 week slump...

benefactor
12-31-2008, 05:45 PM
He probably will move into the starting lineup and take Bonner's minutes after his 2 week slump...
Agreed. Bonner will have his chance at redemption in the first few games Oberto is back because Oberto will have to get back into game shape before taking on extended minutes. If he continues to struggle he could find himself on the pine again.

mrspurs
12-31-2008, 07:07 PM
Fab is needed on some nights. Against some teams Fabs brain is quite helpful on the offensive end. He's a better passer then Matt or Kurt. When Tony sits, Fab is another great option as far as finding Timmy and getting him the ball.

crc21209
12-31-2008, 07:33 PM
I agree. Fab is a very smart guy and a smart player when it comes to basketball. He may not look affective, but he is. He always seems to be in the right spot at the right time, for a put back, rebound, tap out for a rebound, anything. Him and Tim also work the hi/lo game very well. And this is VERY good news for me! lol. Seeing as I'm going to see the Spurs for the 1st time in about 2 years on Saturday and I wanna see them at 100%!

Austin_Toros
12-31-2008, 07:41 PM
oberto back soon??

who cares

im jumping back on kurt thomo

T Park
12-31-2008, 08:31 PM
oberto back soon??

who cares

im jumping back on kurt thomo

Oberto while not the best center in the world, is a serviceable, and big game center.

Rewatch the 2007 playoffs again to see how HUGE he was.

2008 he was looked badly on just because of some bad matchups.

BUT, against the Suns in game 5, last year, the Spurs were down a little bit in the 4th quarter, and he helped Duncan lead the spurs back and took the lead.

Oberto is a good part to this team, and IMO, gets all the chances in the world.

Rogue
12-31-2008, 10:44 PM
considering his age, it's not to estimate how much he can still contribute to our team. We have TD, KT and Bonner in rotation to share PF and C, and I think it's pretty enough for Pop to run this team well. Oberto won't get many minutes even he returns, because Bonner is just the same kind of player as him but Bonner is doing much better than Oberto can ever do. Plus, Oberto isn't definitely among our long-term plan. I would rather to give Bonner more minutes.

Scola is pretty smart on the court and is sharp offensively, not to mention his rebounding which is damn good. Scola should have been a spur but he is with the rockets now. As the spurs wanted to get rid of Butler, why the hell didn't the spurs buy him out themselves instead of sending him to houston to let the rockets release that fat. Who the hell signed that piggy thug with a contract worth 3m/yr? F**k jakie butler.

raspsa
12-31-2008, 11:05 PM
Just maybe Fab's return could lessen the pressure somewhat on Bonner and he starts playing relaxed and instinctively like before his slump.. we'll see soon enough.

cherylsteele
01-01-2009, 02:40 AM
Oberto while not the best center in the world, is a serviceable, and big game center.

Rewatch the 2007 playoffs again to see how HUGE he was.

2008 he was looked badly on just because of some bad matchups.

BUT, against the Suns in game 5, last year, the Spurs were down a little bit in the 4th quarter, and he helped Duncan lead the spurs back and took the lead.

Oberto is a good part to this team, and IMO, gets all the chances in the world.
Agreed...it funny how some people just don't really understand the intricasies(sp?) of the game. You don't have to be the most athletic player in the world to be good or even great....just ask Larry Bird.

lefty
01-01-2009, 02:49 AM
I can't wait to see Oberto getting outrebounded by Fisher, Vujacic or Farmar on January 14.

m33p0
01-01-2009, 02:51 AM
Scola is pretty smart on the court and is sharp offensively, not to mention his rebounding which is damn good. Scola should have been a spur but he is with the rockets now. As the spurs wanted to get rid of Butler, why the hell didn't the spurs buy him out themselves instead of sending him to houston to let the rockets release that fat. Who the hell signed that piggy thug with a contract worth 3m/yr? F**k jakie butler.
splitter tread.