PDA

View Full Version : Rick Kamla is god

Austin_Toros
12-31-2008, 07:52 PM
im not really sure what this guy does but i love listening to him talk and talk and talk. i reckon he could ramble all day long if he wanted to.
and he seems to know a thing or two about basketball.
i know he hosts nba TV- but can someone explain what the hell nba TV is??

am i the only one that likes this guy or do others with me on this one?

oh, and he looks like mike miller before the long hair:

Kamla: http://i44.tinypic.com/30w5kdt.jpg

Miller: http://i42.tinypic.com/ehgeva.jpg

Chieflion
12-31-2008, 07:56 PM
I thought nba tv hosts nba games. Kamla also shares with you secrets on fantasy games. However, he was dumb or unlucky. He told the fans to sit Barbosa that time. Immediately, Barbosa came out to score 26. By advising the fans to sit Danny Granger because of a 2 game week, Granger scored 41 in one of those games.

His favourite player: Rodney Stuckey

duncan228
12-31-2008, 08:16 PM
I like Kamla. His focus on NBA TV is Fantasy, but he's done all kinds of stuff.

From NBA.com:

Who Is Rick Kamla? (http://www.nba.com/fantasy/who_kamla.html)

What is the measure of a man?

Some have said the measure of a man is not where he stands "...in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

For others, the measure of a man "...is not what society thinks of him but what his actions teach him that he is."

And for the very few, it's their favorite Clay Aiken CD.

But for Rick Kamla (who, as you'll find out later in this bio, would kill you with his bare hands you if you gave him a Clay Aiken CD), the true measure of a man not only comes from where that man stands when the going gets rough, but the measure of a man also includes points, rebounds, assists, blocks, steals and percentages for field goals, free throws and three-pointers.

Yes, Rick Kamla, looks at the cold, hard stats and divines who thou shalt pick. And the advice and insight is good. It is light. It is heat. Kamla is a fantasy basketball god.

Yet, no one knew that when Richard Kamla was born on July 19, 1969 -- one day before Neil Armstrong placed his moon boot on the lunar surface -- that a fantasy guru had been placed in our midst.

But, the question remains, are fantasy hoops gods born or made? For Kamla, it seemed a little of both.

Growing up in Edina, Minn., Kamla had no home team for which to root, so, he turned to a team who pulled up roots from Minnesota. Rick, like many of his generation, fell into the thrall of the Showtime Lakers. Magic, Worthy, Kareem. Heck, if there had been a thing such as fantasy basketball back in the '80s, Rick would have nabbed Bob McAdoo with a late-round pick in 1983. Bob would have rewarded Rick with 15-points per and a cool 5.3 rpg.

And while few played fantasy roundball back then, they did play fantasy baseball. Always fond of the numbers side of sports, Rick honed his mighty fantasy skills on the diamond.

He brought those skills with him to the University of Minnesota (The U, in local parlance). Late in the '80s, a few of Rick's friends invited him to take part in a fantasy basketball league.

It was love at first place, as Rick rolled through the competition. And as Rick discovered fantasy hoops, the NBA re-discovered the land of 10,000 lakes. While the old name was in use (lakes in Los Angeles?), Rick found something intriguing in the new Minnesota NBA entry -- the Timberwolves.

While Rick's love for the Timberwolves grew exponentially when one Kevin Garnett arrived on the Twin Cities scene, he had not made his avocation his profession. Well, he did follow the Grateful Dead -- and today, he makes sure to catch any Disco Biscuit show in the tri-state area -- for a while, but the clarion call of fantasy hoops as a profession had not yet reached his ears.

But in 1999, that call came across loud and clear on 50,000-watts on KFAN, an all-sports radio station in the Cities, where he hosted fantasy hoops shows. Four years later, Rick found himself hosting a nightly fantasy show on NBA TV.

And, now, here he is. The man with the fantasy plan. The Joe DiMaggio of fantasy hoops. (I know it's baseball ... play along.)

With the season just days away, a nation -- in search of the sure thing, in search of a sleeper, in search of a halfway decent center after Round Six -- turns its lonely eyes to Rick Kamla.

Wiki:

Rick Kamla (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Kamla)

Rick Kamla (born July 19, 1969) is a television personality for NBA TV.

In 1994, Rick Kamla got his start as the senior NBA and NFL editor for Fanball.com and Fantasy Football Weekly.

Kamla has hosted or co-hosted nationally syndicated and local radio programs since 1999 on Westwood One, Sports Byline USA, and KFAN (Minneapolis). As a collegian at the University of Minnesota, Rick was play-by-play man for Golden Gopher basketball, football, baseball, and hockey broadcasts on student-run radio WMMR. From 2001-02, Rick was an analyst for the Fantasy Sports Report, a weekly television show dedicated to fantasy football.

In January 2003, Rick started on NBA TV as the host of NBA TV Fantasy Hoops (originally called Gatorade Virtual GM). NBA TV Fantasy Hoops is an hour long program designed for fantasy basketball enthusiasts or NBA followers. During the show, Rick summarizes the games that were played that day or evening in the NBA from both the fantasy and reality perspectives, takes calls and answers emails, and offers commentary. To begin each NBA TV Fantasy Hoops show, he honors the "Magic Men" of the night in tribute to Magic Johnson, Kamala's favorite player of all time. These awards consist of the top daily performer at each of the five positions.

Kamla is also the play-by-play announcer for NBA TV's Euroleague Game of the Week and host of Basketball International.

RsxPiimp
01-01-2009, 05:53 AM
he loves lebron waaaaay too much

Chieflion
01-01-2009, 05:54 AM
he loves lebron waaaaay too much

Actually, that guy would have said Rodney Stuckey is better than AI.

SenorSpur
01-01-2009, 08:43 AM
He has openly professed his love for "my Minnesota T-Wolves" as he calls them.

boutons_
01-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Not the worst, but his over-heated style suits him better for Faux News.

balli
01-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Kamla's awesome. It's bullshit NBATV took away his nightly show. It used to rock when he just did his show from like an old green recliner and he'd usually just spend the last few minutes talking about rock music. Corporate assholes had to ruin everything though.

Armando
01-01-2009, 10:26 PM
I cant really tell what he is saying as long as he has Lebrons dick in his mouth.

For real! Sometimes his bromance with LeBron gets to be too much. Better then Kobe really? Maybe one day but not now. Even when he said to Daniel Gibson that the Cavs were going to beat Boston and make the Finals,Gibson gave him a look like he insulted his mother.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-02-2009, 12:14 AM
Eh, he's okay.
Not one of my favorite commentators, but he's alright.

ElNono
01-02-2009, 12:26 AM
I actually think Rick sucks.