PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Oberto Thinks He'll Be Able To Suit Up In Memphis

duncan228
01-01-2009, 12:34 AM
Oberto thinks he'll be able to suit up in Memphis (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Oberto_thinks_hell_be_able_to_suit_up_in_Memphis.h tml)
Mike Monroe

Pending final clearance from head athletic trainer Will Sevening, Spurs veteran center Fabricio Oberto believes he will be ready to suit up for Friday night's game against the Grizzlies in Memphis.

Out since straining a muscle in his left midfoot on Dec. 17, Oberto on Wednesday engaged in a vigorous, two-on-two game with teammates Ime Udoka, Anthony Tolliver and George Hill.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich watched the two-on-two game, which included some full-court play, then huddled for several minutes with Sevening.

Oberto awaits the thumbs-up from the athletic trainer, but said he is anxious to return to action.

“I feel good,” Oberto said. “The last couple days I was working a little more on the aerobics, trying to get the wind back, but my foot feels pretty good. That's the only thing that matters.

“I feel confident (I can play), but it's still two days. I guess Will and the doctors will give me the green light.”

Oberto believes he may have worsened the muscle strain by trying to play through pain before alerting Sevening about his discomfort.

“I was trying to see if the pain was going to go away,” he said, “but it got worse. Sometimes you have to be careful.”

Even if he doesn't play a minute in Friday's game in Memphis, Oberto said he will feel much better in a uniform, rather than a coat and tie, behind the bench.

“For sure,” he said. “For me, that is the worst moment, when you sit out. Being with the team is the most important part.”

The 33-year-old from Argentina has not shaved since he went on the injured list before the Spurs' Dec. 18 game in Orlando. He has no plans to shave it when he does get to suit up again.

Film doesn't lie: The Spurs spent a large chunk of their Wednesday practice session reviewing film of the mistakes they made defending Milwaukee's pick-and-roll offense in Tuesday's 100-98 loss to the Bucks.

What they saw, said starting center Matt Bonner, was an abundance of mental errors.

“Obviously, we didn't do a great job guarding the pick and roll,” he said. “It comes down to mental toughness in executing the game plan on defense. That, we did not do. We need to do better at that.”

Defensive ace Bruce Bowen said too much had been made of the potential game-tying shot that Tim Duncan missed in the final seconds.

“It was one of those games we didn't compete for the full 48 minutes,” Bowen said. “In those situations, you always end up falling behind and then you fight to get back. Yeah, you might have a last-second shot, but if (we) would have done the little things prior to that, it might not come down to something like that.”

Rogue
01-01-2009, 06:30 AM
It's good to hear he has rehabed and able to suit up, but it still makes no sense. His won't need to take a bath after the game @ grizzlies because his suit won't be damp, what he is gonna do will just be carring luggages for Duncan.