PDA

View Full Version : Driven by Instinct, Nets’ Harris Crashes Elite Rank

boutons_
01-01-2009, 08:49 AM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/misc/nytlogo153x23.gif (http://www.nytimes.com/)

January 1, 2009

Driven by Instinct, Nets’ Harris Crashes Elite Rank

By JONATHAN ABRAMS

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Before the highlight-tape drives, his moves a batter of reaction and action, Devin Harris met over the summer for a dinner with Nets Coach Lawrence Frank (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/f/lawrence_frank/index.html?inline=nyt-per). They were conjoined through design and distress.

Frank’s team seemed to be heading downward. Harris, a promising young point guard who had been traded to the Nets (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/probasketball/nationalbasketballassociation/newjerseynets/index.html?inline=nyt-org) by the Dallas Mavericks (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/probasketball/nationalbasketballassociation/dallasmavericks/index.html?inline=nyt-org) in February, was still searching for his role in his new home.

At the table, Frank shared the news: he would hand Harris the keys to his offense.

The results so far have been stunning.

Few players in the N.B.A. (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/n/national_basketball_association/index.html?inline=nyt-org) have taken a leap comparable to the one made by Harris from one season to the next. After playing out the string after his trade, which placated a disgruntled Jason Kidd (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/k/jason_kidd/index.html?inline=nyt-per), Harris has emerged as a consistent scoring threat this season. Entering play Wednesday, he was sixth in the N.B.A. with an average of 23.8 points a game.

“It’s not a secret anymore that Devin Harris is one of the better players in our league,” said Keyon Dooling, Harris’s backup. “With the ball in his hands, he is pretty much indefensible.”

Against his former team in mid-December, Harris, who was often guarded by Kidd, scored 41 points. Afterward he admitted that he had played Dallas with added gusto. By the end of the masterpiece, the Nets’ home crowd was serenading the Mavericks’ owner, Mark Cuban (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/c/mark_cuban/index.html?inline=nyt-per), with chants of “Thank you, Cuban.” It was their way of showing gratitude for the deal that brought Harris here.

Terry Harris, Devin’s father, chanted with them.

“For him to be able to do what he was doing, he had to get out of Dallas,” Terry Harris said recently. “He’s a competitor. When somebody doubts him, he works hard to prove them wrong. That’s what you’re seeing now.”

Harris’s scoring is up by almost 10 points a game from last season. He is converting more free throws a game (8.6) than any other player. And although he is scoring more, he is also averaging 6.4 assists a game. Most important, his confidence is up.

“It’s always been there,” Harris said with a tone so forceful it suggested he took exception to those who would say otherwise. “It’s not like all of a sudden I reinvented myself over the summer. It’s just having the opportunity to do it. Anything that I’m doing now, I’ve had since I came into the league. It’s not like I couldn’t do it before. It’s just having the opportunity and the confidence.”

That comes from Frank. And it stems from their dinner.
Harris, 25, had been having a long summer. Exiled from the playoffs and nursing a sore ankle, he had time on his hands. Too much time. Most mornings, he woke up and worked out with the trainer Tim Grover, a favorite among N.B.A. players.

“There was nothing better to do,” Harris said. “I’ve never had that long of an off-season before.”

Frank met him at the gym before their dinner. They were in Chicago, and the Nets had just competed in their summer league with a new offense, the dribble-drive attack. It is predicated on the work of a quick, penetrating point guard.

At dinner, they spoke about the offense, about family and about how Harris could best lead a relatively young team.

“It’s hard to lead,” Frank recalled telling him. “No matter what’s going on with you or around you, you’ve got to be the same every day.”
That was not Harris’s worry in Dallas. There, most nights, he was a down-the-line option behind Dirk Nowitzki (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/n/dirk_nowitzki/index.html?inline=nyt-per) and Josh Howard or Jerry Stackhouse and Jason Terry.

He was brought along with restraints by the Mavericks’ former coach, Avery Johnson, a respected N.B.A. point guard for 16 years who earned the nickname the Little General.

Harris was the team’s point guard in the 2006 N.B.A. finals as well as in a deflating first-round loss to the Golden State Warriors the next year that followed a 67-win regular season. He showed progress in Dallas and earned more freedom in the offense.

Still, Harris said he felt that each mistake was magnified under Johnson’s microscope. Through his own experience as a player, Johnson always seemed to know where the point guard should deliver the ball and which gap to attack.

So Harris tried to make just the right decision, sometimes to his detriment.

“That was a part of it,” he said. “Probably the worst thing is having a coach that used to be a point guard, especially one that has championship experience.”

For his part, Johnson was well aware of Harris’s skills. There were nights when Harris more than held his own against the Western Conference’s elite point guards — Steve Nash, Chris Paul and Deron Williams.

“He had some breakout games against them,” said Johnson, now an ESPN (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/espn/index.html?inline=nyt-org) analyst. “I gave him more responsibility last year, and he rose to the challenge.”

But with the Mavericks, Harris often thought twice in a game decided by split-second decisions.

“I didn’t worry, but I had a short leash,” he said. “That made me double-think things. Should I attack this gap or should I not? I was thinking a little too much instead of reacting.”

The game’s best players brush aside video, scouting reports and diagrams. They play on instinct and compete without worry. They make plays that are inconceivable because they do not conceive them beforehand.

It is a status marker of the elite, a group Harris is joining.

“I’m just playing reckless,” he said, in this instance a positive. “Really without a care, almost. People ask me how I come up with stuff. I don’t really know what I’m about to do. I’m just trying to see how a defense plays, and it’s been working out for the best. It’s not really thinking, it’s just more of a reaction. Everybody plays better that way.”

Before Harris reinvented himself on the court, he did so in a tattoo parlor over the summer. His tattoos include angels and skulls, reflecting his belief that people are both good and bad.

“He still looks like he’s 16,” said Bo Ryan, Harris’s coach at the University of Wisconsin (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/u/university_of_wisconsin/index.html?inline=nyt-org). “When he was here, he looked like he was 12. But behind that smile, he’s an assassin. With him, it’s obvious. He doesn’t settle with being O.K. He doesn’t settle with being good. He wants to be great.”

Terry Harris saw that early on with his son, whom he described as a clumsy boy who took time to grow into his body and was “always tripping over his feet.”

The athleticism became evident midway through Harris’s time at Wauwatosa East High School in Wisconsin, where he began to dominate on the basketball court. Then he turned to volleyball for a year.

“He was bored,” his father said. “His coach didn’t want him playing football. Baseball season was too long. So he found something to do, and he was very good at it. It was kind of strange. He never really showed any interest in it. All of a sudden he says he’s going to play volleyball.”

Now, he is making what many predicted to be a bad Nets team competitive most nights and is starring with Vince Carter (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/c/vince_carter/index.html?inline=nyt-per).
“He’s going from a player that was a nice player, to now, he’s the focal point of a scouting report,” Frank said. “Now the level is, you have to defend your crown every night.”

That reputation is growing with every game, but it is something that Harris insists he had in him all along.

Shank
01-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Not many "elite" point guards on 15-17 teams.

Darthkiller
01-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Not many "elite" point guards on 15-17 teams.

lol it's hard to win more games when Yi Jianlian is your starting PF

layupdrill
01-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Good write up. I asked on my site who was the best guard in the east between Rondo, Calderon, Nelson, and Harris. Rondo won that poll slightly over Harris.

pawe
01-01-2009, 12:21 PM
lol it's hard to win more games when Yi Jianlian is your starting PF

but but but he's an all star PF right??

exstatic
01-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Harris is showing he's elite, when used correctly. He's not a traditional PG, he's score first, then when the defense collapses, find team mates, a lot like Parker. NJ fucking robbed Dallas on this one.

dirk4mvp
01-01-2009, 12:25 PM
It only took 6 posts.

monosylab1k
01-01-2009, 02:12 PM
It only took 6 posts.

We should have vbookies on how many posts it will take for that, every time a Devin Harris thread is created. Less than 10 is easy money.

Findog
01-01-2009, 02:18 PM
“For him to be able to do what he was doing, he had to get out of Dallas,” Terry Harris said recently. “He’s a competitor. When somebody doubts him, he works hard to prove them wrong. That’s what you’re seeing now.”

Duh, Papa Devin! He went from Option #3 to Option #1.

Findog
01-01-2009, 02:19 PM
I still would not do that trade, and it will always be judged a failure when the stated goal was for Kidd to be the missing piece that would bring the Mavs a title...not sell more tickets or jerseys, or play a more entertaining style, but to win a title. It really makes me worry about the competence of Cuban and Donnie if they genuinely felt that trade was going to do it. And given Harris' breakout season in Jersey, the pundits and message boards have weighed in and judged it a heist of historic proportions, but I'm beginning to think that it's not as lopsided as popular perception would have it.

It seems like everybody is transfixed about the fact that Devin is scoring 24 ppg in Jersey as opposed to 14 ppg here, when the reality is that he gets 6 more FGAs per game as the #1 option there instead of the #3 option here. He wouldn't be scoring 24 a game here, and would it be wise to take away shots from Dirk, Jet and Josh to give Devin that kind of greenlight to attempt that many shots? I am impressed by his increased ability to get to the line, but that may also be a function of more touches. Would he be getting 10 FTAs per game here instead of the 5 that he averaged as a #3 option?

He's been compared to a younger Iverson a lot lately, and I think that's a double-edged sword: I loved young Iverson's toughness, the way he played hard, the way he could draw fouls when defenses collapsed on him, his speed in the open court, but Iverson was not as good off the ball, and needed the ball to be effective. Iverson doesn't have the flair that Maravich had, but he is the modern-day player that reminds me most of PP.

What does that have to do with Devin? Well, for all of Devin's brilliance, the Nets are not that good in the East. The East has three of the top four teams in the league this year, but after Atlanta, the rest of the conference is shiite. New Jersey has Vince as Option 1-B, Brooke Lopez looks like a decent find at center, they have a few other decent players, but if Devin is really as good as the hype, shouldn't the Nets be better? Isn't some of his gaudy numbers attributable to volume scoring, since he's shooting worse this year than he did his final year and a half in Dallas? He couldn't check the bigger guards like Baron or Wade, so I'm not sold on him as some sort of All-NBA defender. It just seems like what he's doing should not be a surprise at all when he's elevated from a #3 guy on a good team to a #1 guy on a lousy team...and if he were a great, transcendant player instead of a merely being a very good player, shouldn't he have had more of an impact on Jersey's record than 15-17, a 15-17 mark that is the result of cooling off after a nice start? And that doesn't even take into account his injury history, which I think has a lot to do with his style of play: drawing charges and always attacking the basket. The Heat basically lost Wade at full-speed for two years because of the way he gave up his body to make plays. He's only now back to 100%.

On our side of the ledger, I just don't think the roster is talented enough to win the West, let alone beat the Cavs or Celtics in the Finals if by some miracle we got there. Maybe we could win a playoff series with what we have, but I think that's our ceiling. Very obvious statement, I know. But Kidd has brought some things to this team that are positive:

1) a renewed enthusiasm and fighting spirit from Dirk, who seemed to be going through the motions last year and might be willing to take a pay cut in 2010 as opposed to fleeing for greener pastures
2) JET looking like an All Star instead of a decent 15 ppg undersized combo guard
3) for that matter a lot of our guys seem to be playing better. Kidd's bball IQ and unselfish play seems to be rubbing off
4) The offense is more fluid and features more ball movement now instead of a reliance on ISO play. Wasn't that the whole idea behind getting Kidd, that our offense stagnated in the halfcourt in playoff situations and became easy to stop?
5) Stack's contract is valuable for teams looking to be players this summer. Harris/Stack for Kidd/X? That might alter the perception of the trade after February.
5) the Mavs have a chance to be players in 2010, whether they resign Kidd or not

The Mavs gave up an asset locked up for several years at a bargain rate, along with two unprotected first-round picks, one of which is a potential lottery pick in 2010, essentially this year's MLE, all for Kidd, in the hopes that he would bring a title. Judged on that, the trade right now has to be judged a failure and a likely failure in the future. I was against the trade when it went down because I felt PG play was hardly a weakness and Kidd didn't address our real weaknesses (lack of post-scoring and perimeter defense). But I no longer think the trade was a franchise-killer.

Shank
01-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Did you seriously write all of that?

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-01-2009, 02:22 PM
:lol

Findog
01-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Harris is actually shooting worse this year in NJ than he did his final two seasons for us: 46% for the Nets this year versus 48% last year for us and 49% in the 67-win season. He's averaging 6 more minutes per game than he did last year in Dallas and 10 more minutes than in the 67-win season. He's still not a good 3-ball shooter, 33% this year, which is a shade above his career average of 32%. He's averaging 6 more FGA's per game than he did last year for us. He gets 1 more dime per game than last year, while steals and turnovers are about the same. The only thing that really jumps out is that he is doing a GREAT job of getting to the line, 10 FTAs per game in 36 minutes versus 5 FTAs per game in 30 minutes for the Mavs last year. His increase in scoring is easily attributable to the 6 more FGAs (volume scoring on a bad team) and ability to draw fouls.

Findog
01-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Did you seriously write all of that?

Yeah, last night on db's messageboards in another harris-kidd caterwauling thread. I just cut n pasted it here since it's relevant.

monosylab1k
01-01-2009, 02:25 PM
I used to love Devin, but all the knobslobbing over a nice 1/3 of a season makes me really enjoy rewatching the clip of him getting annihilated by Jason Richardson and laying on the ground in pain like he just participated in a stunt for Jackass.

Findog
01-01-2009, 02:30 PM
I used to love Devin, but all the knobslobbing over a nice 1/3 of a season makes me really enjoy rewatching the clip of him getting annihilated by Jason Richardson and laying on the ground in pain like he just participated in a stunt for Jackass.

You're more of a masochist than I am. I refuse to watch anymore footage of that series. Once was enough.

bdictjames
01-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Always knew the kid had talent. When Cuban said he could be an All-Star I believed him.

Then again Im a Spurs fan, so what do I know..

mavs>spurs2
01-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I don't see why this keeps getting brought up or is still an issue. Yes, we got robbed, get over it. I'm happy for Devin he's turned out to be a great player but you can't undo the past. Everyone tends to blow this trade way out of proportion either that or I must have forgotten about all those championships we accumulated when Devin was here.

Indazone
01-01-2009, 03:08 PM
hmmm smells like sour grapes in here.

monosylab1k
01-01-2009, 03:13 PM
hmmm smells like sour grapes in here.

You're not the chosen brother, Eli. It was Paul who was chosen. You see, he found me and told me about your land. You're just a fool.

Findog
01-01-2009, 03:14 PM
You're not the chosen brother, Eli. It was Paul who was chosen. You see, he found me and told me about your land. You're just a fool.

There Will Be Home Losses To The Wizards.

Indazone
01-02-2009, 12:58 AM

That's ok, I can be the fool from the promised land. A land flowing of Rockets and Championships. You can be the tool from the land of Cuban.

Rogue
01-02-2009, 01:15 AM
but but but he's an all star PF right??
Yidiot Jianlian is an all star PF?:lmao

Yidiot jianlian would be bought out if he were not a chinese, the only reason nets still keep and feed him is just his chinese background. Nets don't have to pay for the fodder Yidiot jianlian eats, because these chinese ass-kissers are all eagerly willing to pay for that. They even pay more for broadcasting the games and jerseys.

"grab a man's dick then you can have him for one night; grab his interest then you can have him for a life."--- Grace (who was murdered by halle berry in the movie "perfect stranger")

"grab a chinese player means that you can collect trillions of chinese yuans that are saved by these idiotic yidiot fans in china"--- the most creative man of the world

Findog
01-02-2009, 01:40 AM

That's ok, I can be the fool from the promised land. A land flowing of Rockets and Championships. You can be the tool from the land of Cuban.

She's my daughter...AND my sister!!!!!!!