PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Football Picks

coz
08-27-2003, 06:56 PM
Just wanted to share (and get) some opinions I have as far as who the top players are going to be for fantasy football owners.

IMO - top QB's

- Culpepper - I like the emergence of his running game, and the offense is still as potent as ever. They aren't going to blow any teams out, which means they will be fighting to win every game, and the numbers will show it. Daunte will post the best QB numbers IMO.

- Manning - It is tough to argue with his solid play. Manning and Harrison will continue to kick butt.

- QB Busts

- Hasselbeck - don't believe the Seattle QB's hype, it's Alexander's team and will continue to be so.

- Maddox - I love his numbers when healthy, I just don't see him lasting an entire season. He almost ended his career last season, and seems a bit small to play NFL QB.

- Top RB's

- Portis - ton of carries, ton of screens, ton of yards, at least 25 total TDs.

- Alexander - bad year last year, and was still in the top 7 RBs. Easy schedule, improved offense, great O-Line, and better defense vault Alexander to top of the league.

- RB Busts -

- Holmes - i n j u r y, and never take an RB coming off a career year - it rarely pays off.

- Green - I see Green splitting too many carries this year, and possibly missing a few games with a nagging injury.

- Top WRs

- Marvelous Marvin - no better in the NFL at getting FFL points.

- Burris - I think plexiglass will have a huge season this year. Look at his stats last year, he basically did nothing until Maddox was in the starting lineup. He basically put up last years stats in 11 games. With 16, they should be even more impressive.

- WR Busts

- Porter - no way will this guy come close to last years season. I'll bet that by the end of the season, he isn't even the starting slot. Brown and Rice should benefit a bit from this.

- Rod Smith - sorry Rod, I'm a huge Broncs fan, but I don't see Rod doing too much this year. Lelie is seeing the deep balls from Snake, and Easy Ed is the possesion guy. Sharpe is getting the passes in the middle of the field, and that leaves Rod just running around looking to block. Unfortunately, a good block doesn't get you any fantasy points.

- Top K

- Wilkins - St. Louis is back to form

- Janikowski - big leg, is long field goals are bonus points, he's number one.

- Top TE

- Shockey - I wouldn't be suprised to see WR numbers this year. 1000 yds and 8 TDs is a possibility.

- Walls - I think Favre will find a way to keep him involved. I say Walls not because he will score more points than Heap or Gonzo, but because he is the best value IMO.

- TE Busts

- Crumpler - no Vick, no points. Johnson will utilize the WR position, Crumpler won't see 400 yds this year.

- Franks - obvious one, but Walls now owns his position and Farve's eye around the goal line.

- Top D

- Bucs

- Ravens

- Panthers

From Way Downtown
08-27-2003, 08:46 PM
Man, I'd be cautious before discounting Priest Holmes. Dude had an excellent season last year, but it was his 3rd 1,000 yard rushing season in the last 5, and he's been over 1,500 yards for each of the last 2 seasons. He's never been under 4.3 yards per carry -- that means that if he gets carries, he's going to get yards. When he's gotten more than 150 carries, he's also scored touchdowns (7 in 1998 when he had 233 carries; 8 in 2001 when he had 327 carries; 21 in 2002 when he had 313 carries). He's also become a very good pass-catcher, which allows him to get to the edge without taking the pounding.

The one concern with Priest is his hip, but all reports (including those coming out of his mouth) are that the hip is no problem. He's got the same burst he's had and he hasn't lost any of his ability to cut.

Simply put, Priest should have another terrific season.

I learned a very long time ago that you don't EVER discount what Priest Holmes can and will do. He always proves his doubters wrong.

MannyIsGod
08-27-2003, 11:27 PM
QB's Mcnabb and Culpepper now. Vick of course but he's hurt.
RB's LT Ricky Williams and Priest Holmes
WR Marvin, TO, Randy Moss, and Eric Moulds
TE Shockey and Gonzo

Kickers, who cares.

coz
08-28-2003, 12:39 AM
"The one concern with Priest is his hip, but all reports (including those coming out of his mouth) are that the hip is no problem. He's got the same burst he's had and he hasn't lost any of his ability to cut. "

I here ya. It is tough to shy away from him. Consider this though, Priest is looking for a big contract, what is he supposed to say? There are several things I don't like about Priest this year.

1. The injury - why isn't he taking more snaps in preseason to prove it to all of us. He has been limited in his work in practice and games. Even if the hip is not a problem, he might come in a bit rusty and open himself up to another injury.

2. WRs - Green now has all of his receivers healthy for the first time in KC. Morton, Kenison, and Boerighter (sp?) are all in great shape and apparently looking great.

3. TE - Gonzo will miss a few games, but he will be big again this year once his knee heals. The contract situation last year had Holmes getting most of his catches in the flat and over the middle.

4. Age - Priest isn't old, but he sure as hell is no spring chicken for an NFL RB.

5. KC Drafting - why would KC waste a first rounder on a RB if they knew Priest was fine and going to kick butt again? KC doesn't want to pay Priest, and Priest isn't stupid, he's not going to kill himself for a team that won't reward him.

6. Gut feeling - The most important of all reasons and at the same time the least important. I just get the feeling that this will be an off year for Priest. He will put up solid numbers, but he won't be in the top 6 RB's for points IMO. He is bound to miss a few games this season which is absolutely tragic for a FFL owner.

From Way Downtown
08-28-2003, 11:51 AM
If you say so -- Priest is being kept to low reps in the pre-season games because they realize he's going to get 400+ touches when the bright lights are on. Why burden him with extra carries now to "just prove something" when he can do the same "proving" during the regular season.

The dude is hardly on the downside -- he's at the same age that saw Marshall Faulk begin to really flourish, so, if anything, the expectations should still be going up.

On the injury thing, think about this -- Priest does want a new contract (understandably, as NFL backs go, he's grossly underpaid) and has been banging on the Chiefs to get his deal done. But instead of holding out for a new deal, he's done the right thing by being in camp and doing the work that's expected of him. If he was truly concerned about his hip -- if his hip was giving him significant problems that might shorten his season or end his career -- do you honestly think that he'd be taking the chance of being in camp? Of course not; he would have gone Duce Staley and sat out. If he gets hurt in camp or in a pre-season game (or if he shows up and demonstrates that he's not whole), his chances of getting that new deal are gone.

I think the Larry Johnson thing is overblown as concern for Priest's hip. Johnson is insurance against Priest bolting if his contract demands aren't met -- plain and simple. If the Chiefs were really worried about getting a backup to guard against imminent injury, they would have moved up (not down) to get a back.

Just don't discount Priest. He always seems to flip the finger at those who do, which is precisely why I think there's a good chance that he'll have another monster year.

Patrick Davis
08-28-2003, 02:15 PM
QB's Mcnabb and Culpepper now. Vick of course when healthy.
RB's LT Ricky Williams and Priest Holmes, LT
WR Marvin, TO, Randy Moss, and Andre Johnson :)
TE Shockey and Gonzo

IcemanCometh
08-29-2003, 02:43 AM
RB busts

Shaun Alexander
Fred Taylor (as always)

coz
08-29-2003, 05:08 AM
Ice - I've done my research on Alexander, and it all looks good this year. If he lets me down again, I'll officially learn my lesson. IMO - Alexander will put up big numbers, maybe even better than the big three of Portis, LT, and Williams.

I've just got a good feeling about Alexander having the bust out year we've all been waiting for. If it doesn't happen this year, it won't happen. But we all know he is capable, and with the new offense, the easy schedule, and the new focus on getting Shaun the ball, it adds up to a big year.

I just hope he evens the games out a bit this year. 52 points is nice for one game, but I'd rather have two games of 26.

From Way Downtown
09-08-2003, 04:30 PM
Sure looks like Priest Holmes is going to be a bust this year. . . .

Actually, I was glad to see that Priest got off to a good start yesterday. Still has 15 more to go, but based on what happened yesterday, last year's hip injury will not be the thing that eventually slows the good Priest down.