PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan to Dallas?

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Could Shanahan end up in Dallas?

December 31, 2008 12:15 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

From the moment I heard about Mike Shanahan's firing in Denver on Tuesday, I knew it wouldn't take long for him to be linked to the Dallas Cowboys. In fact, AFC West blogger Bill Williamson beat me to the punch Tuesday evening with his entry that listed several possible destinations for Shanahan.

After making several calls around the league this morning, here's what you need to know about Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Mike Shanahan:

They're in love with each other.

Shanahan has told reporters and colleagues over the years how much respect he has for Jones as an owner. And now that I think about it, I've heard Jones sing Shanahan's praises on numerous occasions.

I realize Jones has come out in support of Wade Phillips, but that was before Shanahan became a free agent. The toughest thing for Shanahan to accept would be that Jones has final say on all personnel decisions. Shanahan was one of only three coaches in the league who had final say in his organization, and adjusting to a more hands-on owner might be tough. But if Shanahan's willing to swallow a little pride and about $7 million or so per year, then there's a chance he could make things work.

As a personnel man, Shanahan has delivered quite a few busts. The Broncos don't have a single member of their 2003 draft class on the roster and 2004 and 2005 don't have many representatives. But Shanahan certainly brings a lot of intangibles to the table, not the least of which are his two Super Bowl trophies from the 1990s.

He became intoxicated with Jay Cutler's arm strength and mobility despite the fact that the former first-rounder committed turnovers at the worst-possible moments.

In Dallas, Shanahan would inherit another franchise quarterback who is struggling with turnovers. But it was Shanahan who attempted to sign Tony Romo as a free agent out of Eastern Illinois in 2003. In fact, the Broncos outbid the Cowboys, but Romo alertly noticed that Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson were in front of him in Dallas.

Shanahan also has an affinity for Terrell Owens, which is something else he has in common with Jones. The Broncos coveted T.O. before he signed with the Cowboys in 2006.

Jones would probably have to fire offensive coordinator Jason Garrett to make room for Shanahan, who would take over play calling. And it would be the second time Shanahan would've replaced Wade Phillips, who was fired in Denver before the 1995 season.

There's a good chance Shanahan ends up somewhere else, but I guarantee you that Jones is thinking things over as we speak. Shanahan's one of the few men in the league who would cause Jones to make a drastic move.

That is, if you think firing Phillips qualifies as a drastic move.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-6-242/Could-Shanny-end-up-in-Dallas-.html

benefactor
01-01-2009, 01:42 PM
The way Dallas rolls...it wouldn't be a surprise.

Chris
01-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Pull the trigger Jerry. Garret can go call bad games at Detroit and Wade can slide to D.Coordinator or GTFO.

ClingingMars
01-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Pull the trigger Jerry. Garret can go call bad games at Detroit and Wade can slide to D.Coordinator or GTFO.

Spurminator
01-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Careful what you wish for

xtremesteven33
01-01-2009, 04:46 PM
This team needs a hard*** coach.

The Franchise
01-01-2009, 05:17 PM
This team needs a hard*** coach.

Not really. They just need the owner to sit back and let the coaches make football decisions.

samikeyp
01-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Do it.

Do it now.

mexicanjunior
01-02-2009, 11:48 AM
It would be Jerry's best decision since hiring Jimmy...DEW IT!

johnsmith
01-02-2009, 11:55 AM
I think this would be an excellent decision by the Cowboys. Shanahan is actually a disciplinarian type of a coach that can handle ego's pretty damn well because he treats his guys with respect but at the same time, doesn't put up with a whole lot of shit.

As long as he is content with putting someone else in charge of dealing with the Dallas defense, he would do wonders for Tony Romo and the offense. He would have to adjust his mindset somewhat from a "zone blocking" offensive line to a "punch them in the mouth" offensive line, but he would turn the Cowboys into a run first offense.

Romo would flourish in a run first offense because Shanny knows how to set up a playaction situation in which Romo could use all that God given athleticism he has.

Like I said though, it would all depend on him conceding control of the defense to someone that knows defensive talent, because Shanahan doesn't.

xtremesteven33
01-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Head Coach: Mike Shanahan
Defensive Coordinator: Wade Phillips

johnsmith
01-02-2009, 12:16 PM

That would work for Dallas. Especially since Wade is a gutless little bitch and would take the demotion without complaint.

possessed
01-02-2009, 02:58 PM
No Elway or Terell Davis in Dallas either. Yeah, I'm sure he'll do fine.

Have fun convincing Jones to get small athletic O Linemen for the zone blocking scheme.

BlackSwordsMan
01-02-2009, 03:55 PM
lol@doing what's best for this team

Obstructed_View
01-02-2009, 07:13 PM

That would be perfect.

BSofA04
01-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Ok, first of all, Shanahan runs a completely different offensive system than the Cowboys run. I'm talking night and fucking day. As cute as it sounds to have Shanahan, you'd have to revamp the offensive line to suit the zone blocking scheme. Not one of the current starters would be worth a shit in a Denver system. They too big, too slow, but that's perfect for a mauling/power system. Shanahan's scheme relies on quick, athletic linemen for stretch, boots and screen plays. Lots of misdirection, lots of cut blocking. Flozell Adams, Andre Gurode, Kyle Kozar and Leonard Davis would be worthless. Columbo could be serviceable, but the offense would struggle to set up any run plays, which leads to getting the RB crushed in the backfield. Romo would probably be serviceable/good in this system. Barber and Choice would have to learn a one-cut and go running system, but I believe they wouldn't have any issues.

To summarize, entire Cowboys offensive line=worthless in Shanahan offense.

BSofA04
01-02-2009, 07:49 PM
No Elway or Terell Davis in Dallas either. Yeah, I'm sure he'll do fine.

Have fun convincing Jones to get small athletic O Linemen for the zone blocking scheme.
QFT.

Reggie Miller
01-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Not really. They just need the owner to sit back and let the coaches make football decisions.

Correct. Dungy isn't a hardass, but he knows how to coach and motivate adults.

I've observed Dungy in practice twice (once in Indy, once as a college student in St. Petersburg). He doesn't need to scream, holler, and play the fool. When you never demean or yell at a player, raising your voice two decibels is like a slap.

T Park
01-03-2009, 01:55 AM
Shannahan as the head coach and Phillips as D coordinator would make the Cowboys, instant super bowl contenders.

All depending on if Jerry lets Shannahan make the football decisiions and sits in the owners box and STFUs.

If he can't handle that, then his team is never getting over the hump.

johnsmith
01-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Ok, first of all, Shanahan runs a completely different offensive system than the Cowboys run. I'm talking night and fucking day. As cute as it sounds to have Shanahan, you'd have to revamp the offensive line to suit the zone blocking scheme. Not one of the current starters would be worth a shit in a Denver system. They too big, too slow, but that's perfect for a mauling/power system. Shanahan's scheme relies on quick, athletic linemen for stretch, boots and screen plays. Lots of misdirection, lots of cut blocking. Flozell Adams, Andre Gurode, Kyle Kozar and Leonard Davis would be worthless. Columbo could be serviceable, but the offense would struggle to set up any run plays, which leads to getting the RB crushed in the backfield. Romo would probably be serviceable/good in this system. Barber and Choice would have to learn a one-cut and go running system, but I believe they wouldn't have any issues.

To summarize, entire Cowboys offensive line=worthless in Shanahan offense.

Yeah, and everyone knows that a brand new coach isn't allowed to make any personnel decisions and will under no circumstances adjust his scheme to fit that of the talent he's given.

BUMP
01-03-2009, 10:50 AM
im a Cowboy fan, but bringing Shanahan here would be a huge mistake. in fact, wasnt this the problem with Dallas all season? bringing in players and personnel who had big names who didnt necessarily fill our scheme? in what way does Shanahan? like some have said we would have to revamp our offensive line completely and our running backs would have to learn a new style of running. and there's no way in hell that Phillips would accept a DEMOTION, he shouldnt anyway. im not even sure if thats ever happened before.

plus him and Jerry would most likely be fighting over the GM role and i cant see Jerry giving that up during his first year in the new stadium

BSofA04
01-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Yeah, and everyone knows that a brand new coach isn't allowed to make any personnel decisions and will under no circumstances adjust his scheme to fit that of the talent he's given.
They would be taking a step back by making significant adjustments. You can't force a Denver system with Dallas personnel. And if you make the system too vanilla they're going to get killed. Shanahan is a great coach, but it would take 2-3 years before they get the right people in place. It's Dallas man. They wanted a Super Bowl contender yesterday. They don't have two years to wait. IMO, hiring Shanahan and expecting an instant bad ass offense is unrealistic.

dirk4mvp
01-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Shannahan as the head coach and Phillips as D coordinator would make the Cowboys, instant super bowl contenders.

All depending on if Jerry lets Shannahan make the football decisiions and sits in the owners box and STFUs.

They've been superbowl contenders for the past few seasons.

possessed
01-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Yeah, and everyone knows that a brand new coach isn't allowed to make any personnel decisions

Oh, I'm sure he'd have plenty of control in Dallas. :lol

Shanahan to the Cowboys is just stupid, I can't believe people are entertaining the idea. A good fit for rat face would have been the 49ers if they hadn't hired Singeltary before the rat was fired. Of course, they could use an offensive coordinator if he decided to take a year off from the head job.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-03-2009, 01:50 PM

Really?

That's amazing since they haven't won a playoff game in 13 years.

But Shanny could make them scary. He's a great Xs and Os guy and one rung above Matt Millen as a talent evaluator.

T Park
01-03-2009, 05:42 PM

They weren't this year. Not even close.

ducks
01-04-2009, 12:19 AM

that worked out well for chargers to start off the season
to bad you would have to actually play the games

johnsmith
01-04-2009, 12:20 AM
that worked out well for chargers to start off the season
to bad you would have to actually play the games

You're an idiot.

ducks
01-04-2009, 12:22 AM
and your team sucks
chargers keep winning the division
and denver keeps sucking