PDA

View Full Version : I need some opinions

td4mvp21
01-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Ok, well I'm in this organization at my university and we want to hold a fundraiser at the university. We want to have stand up comedians such as Bill Engvall, Dane Cook, and Sarah Silverman come if possible.

I found this website: http://headlineentertainment.us/ It gives you access to booking agents (not official booking agents of the comedians, according to the website itself). Is this legitimate?

BacktoBasics
01-02-2009, 02:51 PM
So its an organization that will work thru the right booking agent for you. Sounds like a middle man you don't need.

AZLouis
01-02-2009, 02:53 PM
So its an organization that will work thru the right booking agent for you. Sounds like a middle man you don't need.

And added cost.

Get a mechanical bull, a bunch of hot chicks for halftime entertainment, and just have a riding contest. :downspin:

ashbeeigh
01-02-2009, 02:54 PM
I don't know how legit it is, but I know my roommate was able to get in touch with Dane Cook's people very easily (this was in like 2005) and he was super duper expensive. If you are going to school in Texas look into an act like Bowling for Soup for a fund raiser, if that's an option. They put on shows for free in Texas (just an idea).

td4mvp21
01-02-2009, 02:57 PM

It seemed like that to me, however, I'm not very knowledgeable about this whole process in the first place.

I don't know how legit it is, but I know my roommate was able to get in touch with Dane Cook's people very easily (this was in like 2005) and he was super duper expensive. If you are going to school in Texas look into an act like Bowling for Soup for a fund raiser, if that's an option. They put on shows for free in Texas (just an idea).

How expensive exactly? And that's actually a good idea! I'll suggest it at the next meeting.

ashbeeigh
01-02-2009, 03:04 PM
How expensive exactly? And that's actually a good idea! I'll suggest it at the next meeting.

I never got the figure from her. We were never very close. It sounded like it would be affordable for schools with lots of money, like UT or A&M, but not for a small one like TLU. I don't believe there was any specific reason why they wanted him to come either, it was just "hey Dane Cook is cool...you should come..." but if you have a reason maybe you could negotiate with them.

Bowling For Soup was a for sure deal with us for a post Katrina fund raiser we were going to have, but things never came together for us. I was pretty stoked for them to come. I haven't heard about them in a while, but I think it would be worth a shot for y'all.

td4mvp21
01-02-2009, 03:08 PM
I never got the figure from her. We were never very close. It sounded like it would be affordable for schools with lots of money, like UT or A&M, but not for a small one like TLU. I don't believe there was any specific reason why they wanted him to come either, it was just "hey Dane Cook is cool...you should come..." but if you have a reason maybe you could negotiate with them.
I go to a branch of A&M so it's not a very big school and I'm pretty sure we would have to pay for it, like with our own funds. I was thinking 10-15K would be reasonable for big names but maybe it's more? And there is no specific reason, the names I listed are some of the favorites mentioned.

Bowling For Soup was a for sure deal with us for a post Katrina fund raiser we were going to have, but things never came together for us. I was pretty stoked for them to come. I haven't heard about them in a while, but I think it would be worth a shot for y'all.

I've heard them before and I think they have a lot of appeal. That's actually a good idea and if they really do play for free for fundraisers that would be great. I wonder how to get in touch with them, do you remember how you guys did it?

ashbeeigh
01-02-2009, 03:18 PM
I go to a branch of A&M so it's not a very big school and I'm pretty sure we would have to pay for it, like with our own funds. I was thinking 10-15K would be reasonable for big names but maybe it's more? And there is no specific reason, the names I listed are some of the favorites mentioned.

It may be more then that, I hate to break it to you. But, it's always worth a try.

I've heard them before and I think they have a lot of appeal. That's actually a good idea and if they really do play for free for fundraisers that would be great. I wonder how to get in touch with them, do you remember how you guys did it?

I wasn't involved in the actual planning. I wish i could help there. It may have actually been somebody who knew somebody.

AlamoSpursFan
01-02-2009, 03:22 PM
stand up comedians such as Bill Engvall, Dane Cook, and Sarah Silverman

One of these things is not like the others...

:lol

PakiDan
01-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Soo... you want to host a fundraiser, and the first thing you want to do is go $20,000 in the whole by hiring an A-list performer??