PDA

View Full Version : UFC 93: Franklin vs. Henderson Fight Thread!!

dbreiden83080
01-02-2009, 05:15 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/18/Ufc93poster.jpg

It's a decent card, the main event is interesting but just 2 weeks before Penn and St. Pierre will square off, i can't imagine the UFC is expecting a big buy-rate on this PPV.. Wish this one was free on Spike..

Main Card

Light Heavyweight bout: Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson
Light Heavyweight bout: Mark Coleman vs. Mauricio Rua
Middleweight bout: Alan Belcher vs. Denis Kang
Welterweight bout: Marcus Davis vs. Chris Lytle
Middleweight bout: Jeremy Horn vs. Rousimar Palhares

Preliminary Card

Welterweight bout: Martin Kampmann vs. Alexandre Barros
Light Heavyweight bout: Eric Schafer vs. Antonio Mendes
Light Heavyweight bout: Tomasz Drwal vs. Ivan Serati
Welterweight bout: Thomas Egan vs John Hathaway
Lightweight bout: Nate Mohr vs. Dennis Siver

djohn14
01-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Light Heavyweight bout: Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson -Im not sure...I root for both
Light Heavyweight bout: Mark Coleman vs. Mauricio Rua -Finally he comes back! Not you Coleman...Rua!
Middleweight bout: Alan Belcher vs. Denis Kang-Im excited to see DK!
Welterweight bout: Marcus Davis vs. Chris Lytle-This will be good
Middleweight bout: Jeremy Horn vs. Rousimar Palhares-Sorry Gumby, you dont have it and Rousimar is a stud!

Preliminary Card

dbreiden83080
01-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Pulling for Rich but thinking Dan here..

dallaskd
01-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Main Card

Preliminary Card

polandprzem
01-03-2009, 07:18 AM
There are some bouts I will be intrested more then less.

Palhares that I'm fan of maily because of his BJJ. In his last fight he was weak - his stand up was horrible against Hendo. His agression was too low. I wonder if he can pick it up and show that he can progress in a right direction.

Ofcourse two lhw matchups will give us some answers.
If Shogun can still be one of the best in the world? And he suits better to ring with his soccer kicks, knees on the ground and stomps - he was all brutal. Mark Coleman? Cage better for him but I think his time has passed. He is in HOF of the octagon and wants to return? naahhh

Frankiln - he feels good in lhw division.
Both guys can lose much in that fight, Hendo after those two loses against rampage and silva wants to continue his winning and wants to move up in that lhw ladder.
Franklin neds that win and he is capable of being the best in that weight category. He wants to be a champ again.
We will see how it will end but damn I want bothe them win that. So I'm rooting for them both :)

Next thing is Tomasz Drwal - I do not know much about him, but I will cheer for him as he is from my country! yea

dbreiden83080
01-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Hey Evan are you like me on this event in that given that it's, only 2 weeks out till Penn and GSP 2, the buy rate will likely be bad??

djohn14
01-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Hey Evan are you like me on this event in that given that it's, only 2 weeks out till Penn and GSP 2, the buy rate will likely be bad??

I am...if that counts for anything.

dbreiden83080
01-03-2009, 08:54 PM
I am...if that counts for anything.

Means the world Djohn :toast

How are the Cain and Chuck negotiations going?? :p:

djohn14
01-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Means the world Djohn :toast

How are the Cain and Chuck negotiations going?? :p:

Haha lol you know that was a joke...nobody wants to see Chuck get messed up that bad haha.

Evan
01-03-2009, 09:39 PM

Yeah dude it will be a slaughter (300k?)...Rich can't draw anything since he lost his belt which is a shame. He is an elite fighter who just happened to be in the same division as one of he best fighters of all time.

The common fan does not know who....

Dan Henderson
Mark Coleman
Mauricio Rua
Alan Belcher
Denis Kang (OMG I can't wait)
Rousimar Palhares

Is..........

djohn14
01-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Yeah dude it will be a slaughter (300k?)...Rich can't draw anything since he lost his belt which is a shame. He is an elite fighter who just happened to be in the same division as one of he best fighters of all time.

Dan Henderson
Mark Coleman
Mauricio Rua
Alan Belcher
Rousimar Palhares

Is..........
Im pumped about Kang too!!!!...and Im also happy to see Shogun back!

tlongII
01-03-2009, 10:33 PM

Dan Henderson
Mark Coleman
Mauricio Rua
Alan Belcher
Rousimar Palhares

Is..........

I agree. Heck, I don't know who Kang is?

Evan
01-03-2009, 10:40 PM

He is a legit...true...blue chip prospect who simply hit a recent set back of several fights who will more than likely over come it sooner than later and compete for the belt.

http://www.k-1.co.jp/k-1gp/images/fighter/denis_kang.jpg

I have zero doubt he will be in a title fight in 18 months.

ATRAIN
01-05-2009, 11:44 AM

Yeah same here but ill take John's and Evan's word for it. Anyone got any fight clips from him?

ATRAIN
01-05-2009, 11:47 AM

LOL its like the NBA greats of the 80's that had to deal with Jordan. A lot of those guys could have won a title but couldnt cause of Jordan and the bulls. I have to admit Franklin doesnt draw me as much these days anymore but I think he can beat Hendo but I like both. Im going to have to really think about this fight.

ATRAIN
01-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Main Card

djohn14
01-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Here is Kang fighting Murilo Rua

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ydou9j0DM&feature=related

LEONARD
01-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Kang HL
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xr099_denis-kang-highlight_extreme

He fought Misaki with a busted shoulder in '06 at Pride Bushido 13 (2nd fight of the night) and lost a split decision...he probably would've won that tourny had he not been hurt...

dbreiden83080
01-06-2009, 04:59 PM
I think this thread is gonna be pretty dead..

2centsworth
01-06-2009, 05:43 PM
card lacks superstar power and should be on free tv. Here's to hoping Shogun returns to form.

Evan
01-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Trust me guys...Kang is a blue chip.

I think this thread is gonna be pretty dead..

Yup

card lacks superstar power and should be on free tv. Here's to hoping Shogun returns to form.

agree

If this card does 1 buy over 300k in a crap economy then the UFC is doing far better than thought.

djohn14
01-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Yep, you put this as a fight night...and its great! You put this as a PPV and you have screwed up. With BJ-Georges right here, what, two weeks away?...this isnt going to draw up a lot of cash.

dallaskd
01-07-2009, 12:18 AM
He is a legit...true...blue chip prospect who simply hit a recent set back of several fights who will more than likely over come it sooner than later and compete for the belt.

http://www.k-1.co.jp/k-1gp/images/fighter/denis_kang.jpg

I have zero doubt he will be in a title fight in 18 months.

He still needs to prove something IMO. He lost the nasty KO to Akiyama and then got beat by Mousasi, but I don't think many people saw him rising as he did. And I think Kang's last fight was vs Marvin Eastman if he hasnt had a more recent one and it wasnt much of a fight.

polandprzem
01-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Main Card

Preliminary Card

oligarchy
01-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Franklin
Rua
Kang
Lytle
Palhares

Prelims

Kampmann
Schafer
Drwal
Hathaway
Siver

ATRAIN
01-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Is anyone going to buy this PPV? I would like to but I hate these stupid middle of the day PPV.

djohn14
01-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Middle of the day? Thanks for telling me. I didnt even think about it. Im going to watch it.

LEONARD
01-16-2009, 09:53 AM
UFC 93 weigh-ins will be streaming live on MMAWeekly.com this morning at 10 am central time.

desflood
01-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson
Mark Coleman vs. Mauricio Rua
Alan Belcher vs. Denis Kang
Marcus Davis vs. Chris Lytle
Jeremy Horn vs. Rousimar Palhares

LEONARD
01-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson
Mark Coleman vs. Mauricio Rua
Alan Belcher vs. Denis Kang
Marcus Davis vs. Chris Lytle
Jeremy Horn vs. Rousimar Palhares

LEONARD
01-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Weigh-in pics
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/view_album.php?id=1475

Stoners
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/011609ufcweighins/1002.jpg

Hitman
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/011609ufcweighins/1039.jpg

Davis-Lytle
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/011609ufcweighins/1047.jpg

Kang
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/011609ufcweighins/1050.jpg

Kang-Belcher
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/011609ufcweighins/1054.jpg

Horn-Palhares
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/011609ufcweighins/1060.jpg

Shogun
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/011609ufcweighins/1062.jpg

Coleman-Shogun
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/011609ufcweighins/1068.jpg

Hendo-Franklin
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/011609ufcweighins/1077.jpg

BlackSwordsMan
01-17-2009, 03:11 PM
and it begins

BlackSwordsMan
01-17-2009, 03:14 PM
terrible entrance music

dbreiden83080
01-17-2009, 04:02 PM

BlackSwordsMan
01-17-2009, 05:04 PM
someone insert 50 cc's of dbol in coleman asap

BlackSwordsMan
01-17-2009, 05:17 PM
terrible shogun fight
he's done
Give it up

TheTruth
01-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Terrible Card.

Kang disappointed. Shogun disappointed. Lytle/Davis was a pretty good fight, but I was expecting a fight of the night type and it wasn't that. Ehh, it should have been a fight night card.

djohn14
01-17-2009, 06:00 PM
That was awful.

BlackSwordsMan
01-17-2009, 06:02 PM
I feel bad for the irish and the fucks who paid for this card

dbreiden83080
01-17-2009, 06:17 PM
I didn't see it but reading the recap on Sherdog, it sounds pretty boring. What's up with the scorecards on the Rich/Dan fight? SD win for Dan and one had it 30-27 for Rich, i hate decisions like that..

djohn14
01-17-2009, 06:52 PM
I dont know how in the hell Rich got a 30-27...that judge must have had a beef with Dan. Dan clearly won the fight...if I were Dan, I would have been upset with the judges giving round to Rich. Rich didnt fight bad...but Dan fought better.

polandprzem
01-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Most everything went wrong for me in this card :(

At leat the polish guy DRWAL won the fight

angelbelow
01-17-2009, 08:36 PM
im disappointed with shoguns performance. hes my favorite but im glad he got the win. i hope this was a wake up call fight for him.

desflood
01-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Shogun reminds me more and more of Crocop; it's like they just lost the will to fight when Pride ended. They show up and collect the paycheck, but all the quality is gone and only apathy remains.

Mr Dio
01-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Nothing new. :sleep
The same will be said of Fedor.

No fighter, none of them, stay at the same level forever.
When they fight new (& at times, better) comp they are shown for what they really are.

BlackSwordsMan
01-18-2009, 12:01 AM
Shogun reminds me more and more of Crocop; it's like they just lost the will to fight when Pride ended. They show up and collect the paycheck, but all the quality is gone and only apathy remains.

stricter drug laws and lesser steroid usage is what I imagine.

BlackSwordsMan
01-18-2009, 12:01 AM
seriously how can you be a badass in pride KO wanderlei with a kick and come to the US and look like shit in ALL your fights?
HRM

anakha
01-18-2009, 02:26 AM
The cards for UFC 90 and 93 should have been switched around.

The shitty crowd for UFC 90 deserve an equally shitty card.

The Irish crowd, however, was very supportive of almost all the fighters tonight.

tlongII
01-18-2009, 04:41 PM
God that was a HORRIBLE event! It was just one boring match after another. The best fight was Shogun vs Coleman, imo. At least that one had some action. Kang was pretty disappointing after hearing about how good he was supposed to be in here.

dbreiden83080
01-18-2009, 05:42 PM
It was just a horrible timing of this event by the UFC. You had UFC 91 Brock and Randy, UFC 92 with all those big fights and great PPV buys, well the next big one is in 2 weeks, GSP and Penn 2. There was no need to put this on and make it a PPV in between. This should have been the one they saved for SpikeTV, instead of blowing another Bisping Main event on it.. :bang Lousy event for sure..

dbreiden83080
01-18-2009, 10:05 PM
I just got to see the Shogun and Coleman fight and i didn't think it was a bad fight. It was back and forth, i guess everyone just kept expecting to see Shogun look like the great fighter of old and since it never happened, that's all anyone can talk about.. Too bad, Mark couldn't pull it out. If Shogun is done as a great fighter would have been nice to see the old legend get one more big win. That cut to 205 hurt him for sure. He was a warrior though, he fought his ass off, got him down plenty of times but just was too gassed to do much with it. Took a lot of shots but never quit. Big Props to the old guy for fighting so tough. :toast

Shogun yeah you looked bad, really really bad. 44 year old, tired as can be wrestler standing right in front of you with his hands down and you did next to nothing until the fight was basically over.. Not good..

tlongII
01-19-2009, 12:25 AM
I thought they stopped it too soon too.

LEONARD
01-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Terrible card...

Shogun...I just don't think he'll ever be the same as he was before the elbow injury...and now he's even a few notches below 2006-2007 Shogun...ugh.

Kang looked great, before sticking his head where it shouldn't have been. I think he thought that Belcher had ZERO subs...

Happy for Dan...

30-27 for Rich judge should be stripped of judging credentials...

Nothing new. :sleep

The same will be said of Fedor.

No fighter, none of them, stay at the same level forever.
When they fight new (& at times, better) comp they are shown for what they really are.

*saved*

BWS-1994
01-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Davis and Lytle allergic to the ground?

Kang lost whatever momentum in the 1st round, ground advantage he had by 1 costly mistake.

16 months out for Rua probably hurt his cardio. Maybe still "rusty"? Props to Coleman though. Took a lot of beating, managed to last in the 3rd until the final few secs.

Evan
01-23-2009, 07:22 PM
I liked this card...I don't understand why people didn't like it. It was great but it was a very good card.

I think we the MMA fans are getting spoiled and that includes me. I never miss a single show aired on TV but I don't get insanely excited like I used to.

dbreiden83080
01-23-2009, 08:06 PM
I liked this card...I don't understand why people didn't like it. It was great but it was a very good card.

I think we the MMA fans are getting spoiled and that includes me. I never miss a single show aired on TV but I don't get insanely excited like I used to.

I think the problem with the Shogun-Coleman fight was all anyone wanted to talk about was how bad Shogun looked. Nobody gave Colemam credit for hanging tough and it being so back and forth..

Evan
01-23-2009, 08:40 PM
I give Shogun loads of slack considering what he has been thru but I expect so much more out of him next time.

dbreiden83080
01-23-2009, 11:29 PM
I give Shogun loads of slack considering what he has been thru but I expect so much more out of him next time.

How about Coleman though, dude fought like a warrior..

dallaskd
01-27-2009, 09:04 AM
So does anybody else see the loss not hurting Rich at all either? I thought it was a win-win situation he put himself in. He looked great but that 30-27 was horrible. It was almost like they took a point off for a poke in the eye. I think Rich could beat Rashad.

LEONARD
01-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Even if they took a point from Dan, 30 means Rich got a 10 for all 3 rounds, which is insane for the 1st rd...

Evan
01-27-2009, 06:00 PM
So does anybody else see the loss not hurting Rich at all either? I thought it was a win-win situation he put himself in. He looked great but that 30-27 was horrible. It was almost like they took a point off for a poke in the eye. I think Rich could beat Rashad.

I agree with this. Rich has kind of hit that hall of famer riding into the sunset status where wins & losses don't matter much anymore...just like Chuck.

wolfs lair mb
01-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Light Heavyweight bout: Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson -Im not sure...I root for both
Light Heavyweight bout: Mark Coleman vs. Mauricio Rua -Finally he comes back! Not you Coleman...Rua!
Middleweight bout: Jeremy Horn vs. Rousimar Palhares-Sorry Gumby, you dont have it and Rousimar is a stud!

Preliminary Card

wolfs lair mb
01-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Middleweight bout: Jeremy Horn vs. Rousimar Palhares-Sorry Gumby, you dont have it and Rousimar is a stud!any1 think franklin didnt try as great as any mma fan knows he can because he didnt want2 b a coach on tuff uk v usa????

Preliminary Card

wolfs lair mb
01-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Even if they took a point from Dan, 30 means Rich got a 10 for all 3 rounds, which is insane for the 1st rd...
who will win bisping or henderson??and what weight will they fight??middle suit bisping l.heavy prob favour henderson??any1 care2 discuss????

wolfs lair mb
01-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Terrible card...

Shogun...I just don't think he'll ever be the same as he was before the elbow injury...and now he's even a few notches below 2006-2007 Shogun...ugh.

Kang looked great, before sticking his head where it shouldn't have been. I think he thought that Belcher had ZERO subs...

Happy for Dan...

30-27 for Rich judge should be stripped of judging credentials...

i was there n sho gun proved he cud nt hang with likes of rampage jardine evans wanderlei or any top 10 ufc light heavy coleman was there 4the taking n cudnt put hm away n hendo franklin was just as poor franklin made himself look average v hungrier guy pushing 40 years of age..bisping v anderson silva after he destroys hendo

*saved*

dallaskd
01-27-2009, 07:07 PM
who will win bisping or henderson??and what weight will they fight??middle suit bisping l.heavy prob favour henderson??any1 care2 discuss????

Bisping is staying at MW. And I think Hendo is content at LHW. Either way, Henderson would dominate a 3 round decision most likely if he doesnt knock him out.

Evan
01-27-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm not sure...

Although I really like Hendo he always seems to disappoint me somehow. I always get the feeling he is somehow holding back. Hard to explain.

I have a lot of faith in Bisping...I think he will win.

desflood
01-28-2009, 01:57 PM
How old is Hendo now? 37, 38?

At some point his age will have to have some effect. How soon is the question.

Evan
01-28-2009, 08:33 PM
How old is Hendo now? 37, 38?

At some point his age will have to have some effect. How soon is the question.

38 I think.

A tuf season with Bisping and Hendo seems kinda lame for the masses.

I like Bisping, most don't.

The die hards like Hendo, most barely know who he is.

The next season of TUF is going to have abysmal ratings. Ugh....I'm looking forward to it but thats just me...