PDA

View Full Version : Horry Interested In Celtics

duncan228
01-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Horry Interested in Celtics (http://blogs.weei.com/jessicacamerato/2009/01/02/horry-interested-in-celtics/)
by Jessica Camerato

A few weeks after WEEI.com’s Jeff Goodman told how Stephon Marbury is on the Boston Celtics’ radar (http://www.weei.com/Stephon-Marbury-On-Celtics--Radar/3490375), another NBA vet is reportedly eyeing the Cs as well. The Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/1511744.html) has reported Robert Horry has added the Celtics to his list of possible destinations should he play again this season.

Robert Horry – after previously saying he would consider playing only for the Spurs, Rockets or Mavericks because they are likely playoff teams close to his Houston home or Orlando because he could take his kids to Disney World – has not ruled out the Celtics.

While many vets come to Boston in appreciation of the organization’s storied history, Horry hasn’t always been in awe of their past championship squads. In 2007 Horry bragged that his title-winning San Antonio Spurs could beat both the Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers teams from the 80s. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-horry061307&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Horry is an authority on all things NBA championships, and Big Shot Bob had a message about his San Antonio Spurs for the great Los Angeles Lakers and Boston Celtics teams of the 1980s.

“We would beat them,” he boasted.

If Horry were to land in Boston, he would need a crash course in Celtic Pride.

The piece from the Sacramento Bee:

Struggling Celtics admit they're tired (http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/1511744.html)

Boston is shopping to upgrade the bench, especially up front. Brown is a possibility as a second-half addition again. Robert Horry – after previously saying he would consider playing only for the Spurs, Rockets or Mavericks because they are likely playoff teams close to his Houston home or Orlando because he could take his kids to Disney World – has not ruled out the Celtics.

SenorSpur
01-02-2009, 06:45 PM
I knew retirement wouldn't last.

Dex
01-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I would not be surprised to see Rob end up somewhere for a half-season.

Unfortunately, a few of the comments he's made since leaving have made it seem less and less like that will back in San Antonio.

Chieflion
01-02-2009, 06:48 PM
What a jerk, he was almost pineriding in 2007, now he is trying to jump on the Celtic bandwagon?

Obstructed_View
01-02-2009, 06:50 PM
This may be the first time in NBA history that a player has used the idea of going to the Celtics to get the Spurs to re-sign him.

BTW, isn't there a roster spot sitting there for him? I'd rather have him than Udoka or Tolliver anyway.

SenorSpur
01-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I would not be surprised to see Rob end up somewhere for a half-season.

Unfortunately, a few of the comments he's made since leaving have made it seem less and less like that will back in San Antonio.

and what comments were those?

I got the impression that Rob was somewhat bitter that the Spurs didn't invite him back. I've got no hard feelings against Rob. In fact, I'll always be grateful to hiin for his contributions as a Spur. However based upon what I saw last year, he was so done. It was time for him to go. In fact, he should've retired after the Spurs beat the Cavs in the 2007 NBA Finals.

HORNSWOGGLE
01-02-2009, 06:55 PM
I thought since Danny Ainge is there he didnt want to

Bruno
01-02-2009, 07:03 PM
6 months ago :

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/MYSA_062008_1D_BKN_mike_monroe_en_3d58225_html1493 .html

What Horry says he won't do, though, is what Brown did: wait until late next season to come out of retirement to help a team with championship potential.

“I wouldn't feel right doing that,” Horry said. “You've got to go through training camp with the rest of the guys. Don't just sit back and wait and get all the glory.”

It would be interesting to see if Horry does exactly what he said he won't do...

And I hope Spurs won't sign him. It's time to move on and stick with Bonner.

lefty
01-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Fuck fuck fuck.

Celtics losing their savior (Posey) was great news.

I hope he doesn't join them

SenorSpur
01-02-2009, 07:14 PM
6 months ago :

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/MYSA_062008_1D_BKN_mike_monroe_en_3d58225_html1493 .html

Now that I remember. He took a shot at P.J. Brown last year. One year later, it's P.J. who's formally announced his retirement and Big Shot is looking to get back in.

Obstructed_View
01-02-2009, 07:16 PM
6 months ago :

It would be interesting to see if Horry does exactly what he said he won't do...

And I hope Spurs won't sign him. It's time to move on and stick with Bonner.

It's possible that Horry was making that statement to try to get Pop to invite him to camp. It's, again, possible that Horry is trying now to get Pop to invite him to the Spurs.

SenorSpur
01-02-2009, 07:19 PM
I believe Pop is past that point. If not, Horry sure is.

He indicated earlier this year that once the holidays passed, the chances of him coming back would be very unlikely.

Brutalis
01-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Horry is not coming back.

So now that means he is.

TheManFromAcme
01-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Does anyone in here actually believe Horry still has something in that tank of his?
Your kidding right?

z0sa
01-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Does anyone in here actually believe Horry still has something in that tank of his?
Your kidding right?

:wow you mean horry the shot-passing up dinosaur with 7 rings ain't got game?

Preposterous. I mean, look at him, he's got seven rings. That's gotta be worth last spot on the bench.

Ice009
01-02-2009, 07:52 PM
and what comments were those?

I got the impression that Rob was somewhat bitter that the Spurs didn't invite him back. I've got no hard feelings against Rob. In fact, I'll always be grateful to hiin for his contributions as a Spur. However based upon what I saw last year, he was so done. It was time for him to go. In fact, he should've retired after the Spurs beat the Cavs in the 2007 NBA Finals.

Do you guys realize Horry had no training camp and then got injured towards the end of the season.

Horry did not have ideal preparation last season going into the playoffs. I didn't really want Horry to go, well not unless we got a decent upgrade, but so far to me it looks like we didn't. Tolliver stinks shooting wise. Rob at his worst could still out shoot him and Bonner is coming back down a little bit. Bonner I think can turn it around though.

I also don't want to hear about Ian. At least Horry would be playing for us right now grabbing rebounds and playing defense.

HarlemHeat37
01-02-2009, 08:01 PM
I don't know how I feel about Robert..he's one of my favorite players, so I have a soft spot for him..his offense looked horrible last year though..his shots were completely off..

his defense was still pretty good though, and he still has the savvy veteran moves and smarts..

with some rest(like he has gotten already) and some preparation, he could be a good player for us..we'll see how it goes..

peskypesky
01-02-2009, 08:06 PM
I really doubt he has anything left in the tank. At that age, the decline can come quickly and he looked finished a year ago. If he was a young player, I could see him clawing back, but he's no spring chicken.

Rohirrim
01-02-2009, 08:08 PM
He has every right to do whatever he wants to.

Let him sign with them imfo.

Ice009
01-02-2009, 08:15 PM
I don't know how I feel about Robert..he's one of my favorite players, so I have a soft spot for him..his offense looked horrible last year though..his shots were completely off..

his defense was still pretty good though, and he still has the savvy veteran moves and smarts..

with some rest(like he has gotten already) and some preparation, he could be a good player for us..we'll see how it goes..

If Horry shot the ball the amount of times Tolliver has on occasion this season you never know he could have gotten into rhythm and shot better. Horry didn't really shoot the ball much. He tried a shot here and there, but if he felt he was off he'd pass the ball.

I need to be corrected here if I'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure Horry hurt himself going into the playoffs which made him look worse than he was. I really think a fully healthy Robert Horry would have been better than he was last season.

HarlemHeat37
01-02-2009, 08:17 PM
If Horry shot the ball the amount of times Tolliver has on occasion this season you never know he could have gotten into rhythm and shot better. Horry didn't really shoot the ball much. He tried a shot here and there, but if he felt he was off he'd pass the ball.

I need to be corrected here if I'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure Horry hurt himself going into the playoffs which made him look worse than he was. I really think a fully healthy Robert Horry would have been better than he was last season.

ya you're right..

I see where you're coming from..

Gutter92
01-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Horry will be back with the Spurs. Book it!

Ice009
01-02-2009, 08:23 PM
ya you're right..

I see where you're coming from..

It takes time to work yourself back from injury. For an example of that look at how Manu. Of course Horry is older so it's not exactly the same, but I think you get what I'm saying.

Seriously, I think Horry didn't get to show his true self last season in the playoffs.

m33p0
01-02-2009, 08:34 PM
if the spurs already have a solid front court, i'd love to see him in a spurs uni again to give spot minutes.

Rogue
01-02-2009, 09:00 PM
In the past we need his 3s but we don't need that anymore, as we have already digged bonner outta the bench and bonner is even better than horry at the 3 line. bonner is even smart than horry although horry has more experience, at least bonner won't break nash's nose unless Pop tells him to.

A bitch always f**ks the guy who pays her more, but spurs are not so rich as the celtics that we can't afford the luxury tax for him. Celtics don't care paying 2m more as they are deeply buried in the luxury tax, so they can afford the luxury tax and sign the bitch.

Ice009
01-02-2009, 09:00 PM
if the spurs already have a solid front court, i'd love to see him in a spurs uni again to give spot minutes.

What do you mean by that?

ploto
01-02-2009, 09:24 PM
It is not so much Rob being upset that the Spurs did not re-sign him as the fact that he thought they might at least call and let him know they had decided to go in a different direction.

I hope no one here ever has to deal with all Rob dealt with during training camp and early last season and then try to go back to work. Once he worked his way back, he got hurt. Beware of writing him off and saying he has nothing left. Of course he does. Horry is one the highest BB IQ players of his generation.

Bruno
01-02-2009, 09:34 PM
It is not so much Rob being upset that the Spurs did not re-sign him as the fact that he thought they might at least call and let him know they had decided to go in a different direction.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Retirement_suits_Horry_just_fine__at_least_for_now .html

A few days into July, Horry got a call from Gregg Popovich. The head coach's message was short, and to the point:

“He told me there were some other guys they wanted to bring in,” Horry said. “He said that was the direction they wanted to go, but he'd let me know if that didn't work out.

“I thanked him for the honesty. I said, ‘You're a man, and I'm a man. No use pushing it.'”

It was not an easy conversation for Popovich.

ploto
01-02-2009, 10:04 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Retirement_suits_Horry_just_fine__at_least_for_now .html

That story was written in October and was part of an effort to do damage control. Read what Rob said in the summer and not printed by the SA media.

Bruno
01-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Read what Rob said in the summer and not printed by the SA media.

Link ?

SenorSpur
01-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Do you guys realize Horry had no training camp and then got injured towards the end of the season.

Horry did not have ideal preparation last season going into the playoffs. I didn't really want Horry to go, well not unless we got a decent upgrade, but so far to me it looks like we didn't. Tolliver stinks shooting wise. Rob at his worst could still out shoot him and Bonner is coming back down a little bit. Bonner I think can turn it around though.

I also don't want to hear about Ian. At least Horry would be playing for us right now grabbing rebounds and playing defense.

Whatever. Enough with the excuse-making for poor "Big Shot Rob". Pop was more than cooperative with him by giving him all the time he needed last year, for both personal and professional reasons. Horry has contracted Shaqitis, in that he only wants to play 1/2 the season and cannot play back-to-back nights. The Spurs need players who are energetic and that can contribute every night.

Face it folks. The bottom line is Horry's time has passed. The Spurs can ill-afford to sacrifice their team goals in trying to cater to the whims of a player who's washed up" and doesn't want to let go. If Boston wants to bring him aboard and indulge his delusions, so be it. The Spurs have moved on.

pawe
01-02-2009, 11:16 PM
I like Horry and I will always consider him as a Spur but if he wants to sign with a different team then so be it. Too bad he wouldnt retire in a Spurs uniform. See you in the Finals big shot Rob.

mikeanthony21
01-02-2009, 11:46 PM
This may be the first time in NBA history that a player has used the idea of going to the Celtics to get the Spurs to re-sign him.

BTW, isn't there a roster spot sitting there for him? I'd rather have him than Udoka or Tolliver anyway.

Udoka tries to play defense, Tolliver at least looks for his shot... two things Horry lost interest in last season. (And it wasn't because he missed training camp)

Ditty
01-02-2009, 11:59 PM
if he can still shoot it dont matter

bostonguy
01-03-2009, 12:37 AM
If this was 2-3 years ago, id be all for it. Danny Ainge deserves to get fired for letting Posey walk. Because of his stupidity, lack of depth is an issue for the Celts and we are relying on Horry,a guy who may not have anything left and is in his late 30's, to help with that. Fuck you Danny Ainge for letting Posey walk you piece of shit. After the Celts fail to repeat, I hope your bitch ass gets canned.

boutons_
01-03-2009, 01:54 AM
A reputation far outliving its usefulness

mrspurs
01-03-2009, 07:57 AM
I knew retirement wouldn't last.

Of course not, this is Horry at his best. He waits for the next team that has a great chance of winning it all, then joins them. Only now you dont even have to join the team till half of the season is done. I hope he does goto Boston. He can choke up all the 3s he wants. Horry has always been about Horry, he hasnt been a team player since his days with the Rockets. I just hope Matt continues to play and improve. Its Matts job to keep Horry from coming back. Matt is still trying to improve his defense and inside game. I and anyone whos followed Horrys career knows all Rob wants to do is shoot the 3 ball. And nothing else. Horry started his career off as Big Shot Bob. He ended it as Cheap Shot Bob.....If I cant defend ya, Ill try to hurt ya.:nope

mrspurs
01-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Udoka tries to play defense, Tolliver at least looks for his shot... two things Horry lost interest in last season. (And it wasn't because he missed training camp)

Agreed.

mrspurs
01-03-2009, 08:01 AM

I hope no one here ever has to deal with all Rob dealt with during training camp and early last season and then try to go back to work. Once he worked his way back, he got hurt. Beware of writing him off and saying he has nothing left. Of course he does. Horry is one the highest BB IQ players of his generation.

Agreed he knows what team has the better chance of winning it all. Then he goes and signs with them. That is pretty smart.:wow

Ice009
01-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Worst Post of All Time.

What is the point of playing Basketball in the NBA. To win it all, what Horry tries to do every year you Bum.

lol

I won't even respond to MrSpurs.

Fattmac78
01-03-2009, 10:14 AM
I like that lazy SWAGG he got. Its like you never know what to expect. He mite go dunk on someone or he mite pull up an shoot on someone. If he's feeling that old shot of his he will pull up like KB24(shot aint like KBs I know) but he will pull it. Andlike someone said if he's not feeling it he will pass it on to someone who is. Instead of just jacking up some bull, like Udonka!

Fattmac78
01-03-2009, 10:19 AM
MrSpur your stupid Point blank. I would body check his lil a$$ too. It got Stupamire out of the next game didnt it. :lobt2:

benefactor
01-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Whatever. Enough with the excuse-making for poor "Big Shot Rob". Pop was more than cooperative with him by giving him all the time he needed last year, for both personal and professional reasons. Horry has contracted Shaqitis, in that he only wants to play 1/2 the season and cannot play back-to-back nights. The Spurs need players who are energetic and that can contribute every night.

Face it folks. The bottom line is Horry's time has passed. The Spurs can ill-afford to sacrifice their team goals in trying to cater to the whims of a player who's washed up" and doesn't want to let go. If Boston wants to bring him aboard and indulge his delusions, so be it. The Spurs have moved on.
[/thread]

m33p0
01-03-2009, 10:24 AM
What do you mean by that?
i'm not willing to give horry any major minutes (duh) but i'd like to have him on those big moments where a 3 is needed. he has made his name living in those moments. but if the spurs do decide to sign him because there's a deficiency in the front court, then we are truly fucked.

m33p0
01-03-2009, 10:29 AM
nah, brah. i'll tell you what happened. he drank his own kool-aid, that's what happened. he believed in his own hype thinking he can simply turn on a switch come playoff time.

mikeanthony21
01-03-2009, 11:13 AM
nah, brah. i'll tell you what happened. he drank his own kool-aid, that's what happened. he believed in his own hype thinking he can simply turn on a switch come playoff time.

His mind may have been saying that but his body was saying "HELLLLLL NOOO."

layupdrill
01-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Very interesting.

jdev82
01-03-2009, 11:56 AM
this is depressing. i hate seeing the greats decline. but i guess thats what you get as a spurs fan. i think that, had pop really trusted horry this last year, maybe we couldve extended his usefulness. i didnt see any trust being placed in him in last minute situations in the reg season or the playoffs, so, honestly, i dont blame him for trying to move to a legit contender, not that the spurs arent. but while most of the greats diminish into role players, all of them that ive seen have shown their best once in a while. so its really the pops fault for him not trying to resign here. its a shame. i wouldve liked to see him retire here. oh well. if hes not in san antone, i hope he never gets that elusive 8th ring.

SenorSpur
01-03-2009, 12:17 PM

Exactly. People need to stop blaming Pop for Horry's decline. It wasn't Pop's fault that Horry was injured and out of shape. Face the facts. Older players are more susceptible to injury and every athlete undergoes a decline. It's not like they can play forever. Some are able to extend their careers if they keep themselves in shape - which Horry did not. He was simply not the same player he was before - and it wasn't simply because he was injured. Stop deluding yourselves that he was the same player he was 5 years ago.

Rapper
01-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Horry always intrested in the hottest team in that saeson

The Truth #6
01-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Horry is like a boxer at this stage. He can't let it go.

Horry was awesome but his last two seasons for us were full of letdowns, mainly because he was old and out of shape. How do people not remember that? Basically he'll give you maybe two solid plays in the playoffs, maybe. Is that worth him taking up a whole roster spot for the whole year, ESPECIALLY when we need to rebuild the roster?

JPB
01-03-2009, 01:43 PM
It could depend on Ian's status by the end of the season.
If he can't play because of injuries or because he doesn't have it, who knows ?

spursfan09
01-03-2009, 01:44 PM
:(

mrspurs
01-03-2009, 01:46 PM
MrSpur your stupid Point blank. I would body check his lil a$$ too. It got Stupamire out of the next game didnt it. :lobt2:

Welcome to my ignore list. I dont follow old players who did nothing but hurt this team and other opponents players on purpose. You can follow Cheap Shot Bob wherever he goes. Enjoy yourself....:king

benefactor
01-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Welcome to my ignore list. I dont follow old players who did nothing but hurt this team and other opponents players on purpose. You can follow Cheap Shot Bob wherever he goes. Enjoy yourself....:king
How many people you got on there now? Since most of this forum thinks you are the dumbest poster ever I'm sure you are almost talking to yourself.

m33p0
01-03-2009, 02:19 PM
like that sound a beat-up car makes on a hellishly cold winter morning.