PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs Would Have Beat Memphis With MaliK Rose

bwpedraza
02-26-2005, 11:17 PM
Who said the trade was good? It sure looked to me that they could've used some engery play tonight.

atlfan25
02-26-2005, 11:18 PM
Nazr didn't even play tonight, you can't say if the trade is good or not.

ChumpDumper
02-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Stick to one screen name,

MaNuMaNiAc
02-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Jesus!! WAIT UNTIL THE MAN PLAYS TO CRITICIZE HIM!!!

ShoogarBear
02-26-2005, 11:20 PM
You forgot to complete the sentence: "Knicks 1-0 with Malik".

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-26-2005, 11:23 PM
We woulda won if stupid Pop didnt waive Brewer

toosmallshoes
02-26-2005, 11:44 PM
I bet it looks odd.

s_linds
02-26-2005, 11:45 PM
malik had a mind of his own and popovich gets rid of any free thinkers its sad the minster of defense screwed this one up!

atlfan25
02-27-2005, 12:02 AM
free thinker can also mean a guy who doesn't listen. manu is a free thinker, will he be gone too?

Ginofan
02-27-2005, 12:10 AM
omg...are you for real? Don't start this crap. Next thing you know you'll be saying "If we don't win the championship it'll be all Pop's fault because he traded Malik"

texasqb2
02-27-2005, 12:41 AM
you guys are crazy, Malik is terrible...if you guys didnt get so blinded by liking a guy just b/c how he is off the court. If Malik never played for us and came in to play us tomorrow, you all would just think he was undersized, couldnt guard the 4 or 5, and tries to hard to find his offense, which is exactly how he is, good riddance...stop talking about the guy who was like our 9th man. Nazr is way better for this team and we're much better off w/o the Malik contract that gets up to like 8 million.

CHAMPS AGAIN
02-27-2005, 01:28 AM
I recall after the Kings game where MALIK f^ck up alot of people here wanted MALIK to get traded now the SPURS make the trade and it's the worst thing the SPURS did was to get rid of MALIK,you bunch of homers.

Spurs_rock05
02-27-2005, 01:34 AM
You forgot to complete the sentence: "Knicks 1-0 with Malik".

ATLEAST ONE SPUR WON BECAUSE DEEP DOWN MALIK IS STILL A SPUR.

Matrix
02-27-2005, 01:41 AM
and the suns 2-0 without Nash, do you think the MVP for him is now over??? And back to the rightful owner????

Thats right, I think/know it belongs to Timmy D

Spurs_rock05
02-27-2005, 01:51 AM
Yeah It Does Look Odd

And The Colors Don't Look Good On Him.

God Bless Malik God Bless

pistonfanwe#1
02-27-2005, 01:53 AM
what will look worse is the look on his face when we kick his butt in the playoffs.

whottt
02-27-2005, 02:02 AM
Malik was born to be a New York Knick and Eastern Conference Player. That's where he is from.

I see it now. I don't feel sorry for Malik. Somehow I think he's where he belongs now, in a town and with fans that his game is meant for...

The Spurs are too elite for the little PF's game, he's just too damn short for us now that we are bigtime. Malik isn't good enough to play for us anymore... We need a real C.

But New York? They love their underdogs, they love them more than they will ever love a big name SuperStar, they'll take Paul O'Neill over ARod 10 times out of 10...and you know what they say...if you can make it there...

Well Malik is tailor made to make it there...I realize that now.

Shoogar said that after Malik's 5th board in about 5 minutes the Knick fans were getting into Malik bigtime and had him totally figured out, what he's all about. I went to a Knicks board tonight and those guys were saying they couldn't believe they got Malik AND 2 #1 picks out of us for Mohammed....

I'm actually happy for Malik ...but I'm just a little bit nervous about our team, and how quickly Mohammed is going to fit in...we actually need him now, bigtime.

infinite styles
02-27-2005, 02:12 AM
“It’s nice to be somewhere where you are wanted,” added Rose. “I am the kind of person who prefers to look to the present and the future. The Knicks have a lot of guys who can play. Now if we also play with what’s inside our shirts -- and inside our heads – things can go our way.”
“Sure, I’ve won two championships in San Antonio -- but that’s in the past,” said Rose. “I anticipate winning a championship right here in the New York. That’s in the future. Now it’s our job to make sure it’s in the NEAR future.”

It looks like Malik has moved on so why the fuck can't you? Stop this shit and worry about who we got now.

SequSpur
02-27-2005, 02:14 AM
Memphis was on a four game skid coming into tonight and the Spurs made them look like a contender.

Nice.

whottt
02-27-2005, 02:16 AM
Here's the best pic I could get from the SportCenter Highlights...it's not much.

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/8169/21wr.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

Spurs_rock05
02-27-2005, 02:17 AM
It’s nice to be somewhere where you are wanted,” added Rose. “I am the kind of person who prefers to look to the present and the future. The Knicks have a lot of guys who can play. Now if we also play with what’s inside our shirts -- and inside our heads – things can go our way.”
“Sure, I’ve won two championships in San Antonio -- but that’s in the past,” said Rose. “I anticipate winning a championship right here in the New York. That’s in the future. Now it’s our job to make sure it’s in the NEAR future.”

It looks like Malik has moved on so why the fuck can't you? Stop this shit and worry about who we got now.

its just a front Malik is not that kind of person to punish us the fans for somebodys wrong doings. maybe just to look better in NY???

Spurs_rock05
02-27-2005, 02:18 AM
It’s nice to be somewhere where you are wanted,” added Rose
and we loved and wanted him here. but things could not be that way

Spurs_rock05
02-27-2005, 02:20 AM
Lik !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

infinite styles
02-27-2005, 02:22 AM
its just a front Malik is not that kind of person to punish us the fans for somebodys wrong doings. maybe just to look better in NY???

SMH :rolleyes :bang

Tek_XX
02-27-2005, 02:29 AM
Spurs deserved to lose tonight, they got jumped on and didn't respond ulitmately and there was nothing that Malik would have done except add 5 or 6 more turnovers.

LET GO YA'LL LET GO

infinite styles
02-27-2005, 02:32 AM
Spurs deserved to lose tonight, they got jumped on and didn't respond ulitmately and there was nothing that Malik would have done except add 5 or 6 more turnovers.

LET GO YA'LL LET GO

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Tell em like it is son, tell em like it is!!!!!"

timvp
02-27-2005, 02:43 AM
No question.

Malik Rose is the PERFECT cover for Brian Cardinal. He's built to take on Cardinal on both ends of the court. Cardinal hurt the Spurs with seven boards and three steals, playing the pesky role that Rose played for the Spurs. His stats weren't pretty, but he was one of the main reasons why the Grizzlies won.

The Spurs production from the bigmen outside of Tim Duncan was horrible. Rasho Nesterovic played good defense, but he seems to forget that there are two sides to the court. The Spurs can't win if they have to play four on five on offense.

Robert Horry right now shouldn't be playing. He's limping and can't jump or move side to side. I'm not sure if he's injured or just on cruise control waiting for the playoffs, but he doesn't deserve any minutes at this point. Tony Massenburg has regressed to the point that he's not worth playing either.

That is where Rose would have come in. He's 100% heart and energy and that is what the Grizzlies used to beat the Spurs. They didn't knock down a lot of shots, they just competed and gave a lot of effort. The Spurs were lacking that, especially from their bigmen.

If you watched that game and have the nerve to say the Spurs wouldn't have won that game with Malik Rose, you don't know Spurs basketball.

Point blank.

whottt
02-27-2005, 02:49 AM
Want to see the stat of the night?

In 9 minutes Malik Rose grabbed 8 rebounds 4 offensive.

In 46 minutes! Rasho, Horry and Massenburg combined for 7 rebounds 3 offensive.

He did that against a front line that won 62 games last year...while our guys put up their numbers against a 7 seed that was playing without their two best inside players.

timvp
02-27-2005, 02:56 AM
Spurs fans could try to blame this loss on turnovers, but the truth is it never should have come to that. The Grizzlies had two bigmen -- Wright and Cardinal. That's it. The Spurs should have dominated them on the boards and the game should have been over by halftime.

But no. The Spurs lacked energy, rebounding and Cardinal was hurting them by playing like Malik Rose would for the Spurs. Without Gasol or Swift, this shouldn't have been a contest.

But when you neuter your bigmen rotation, it's tough.

Kori Ellis
02-27-2005, 03:06 AM
The Spurs probably would have also beaten the Grizzlies if they had Nazr Mohammed on the floor.

They were short one big man. Horry was the only big who really played off the bench and he contributed nothing.

mattyc
02-27-2005, 03:08 AM
:depressed

pooh
02-27-2005, 03:08 AM
He did that against a front line that won 62 games last year...while our guys put up their numbers against a 7 seed that was playing without their two best inside players.

Close...no Artest or Foster. Plus J.O. got hurt mid-way through the fourth with a knee to the ribs. But from what I heard, Rose looked ok tonight.

timvp
02-27-2005, 03:09 AM
What's Pop waiting for then? Play Nazr. Don't tell me he's going to baby Mohammed like he babies Rasho.

Most every other player who was traded played right away. Instead Pop went to small ball, even though the Spurs were getting killed on the inside.

Niiiiiiiiiice.

Kori Ellis
02-27-2005, 03:10 AM
Rose looked ok tonight.

He had eight boards in nine minutes. He looked more than ok.

whottt
02-27-2005, 03:13 AM
Close...no Artest or Foster. Plus J.O. got hurt mid-way through the fourth with a knee to the ribs

Yeah...I saw that with O'Neal...I didn't realize Foster was out though and I think of Artest as a 2 guard.

As for JO...

Hint: Don't set hard picks or get too physical with Stephon...he doesn't like that and usually ends up inflicting more pain on the payback. He took Duncan down once too.

But I thought JO got hurt with a little over a minute left in the game.

timvp
02-27-2005, 03:13 AM
My favorite play of the game was when Tim Duncan had a clear path to the basket and was going in for a layup ... but was foiled when Rasho came over to post up right in his driving lane.

:rollin

Pop should have played Nazr and gone with some type of zone set while he was out there. The Grizzlies aren't going to beat you from the outside and everyone knows how to operate in a zone. Going small wasn't the answer.

If Nazr is worth Rose and TWO first round draft picks, you'd think he'd have played basketball once or twice and could have figure it out.

Kori Ellis
02-27-2005, 03:16 AM

You are correct. There was barely over a minute to go and the Knicks were up by 8.

pooh
02-27-2005, 03:19 AM
Yeah...I saw that with O'Neal...I didn't realize Foster was out though and I think of Artest as a 2 guard.

As for JO...

Hint: Don't set hard picks or get too physical with Stephon...he doesn't like that and usually ends up inflicting more pain on the payback. He took Duncan down once too.

Foster was out the previous game with back spasms. Indy hasn't has used 17 different line-ups this season. I'm not sure when J.O. got hurt, but I know it was during the fourth...I only saw the highlights on ESPNews earlier, but if he hadn't gotten hurt, they would've beaten the Knicks.

Kori Ellis
02-27-2005, 03:20 AM
but if he hadn't gotten hurt, they would've beaten the Knicks.

The Knicks had been up by 7-16 points all throughout the quarter. He got hurt with 1:06 left on the clock when the Knicks were up 8. They wouldn't have won with him.

infinite styles
02-27-2005, 03:21 AM
Spurs would have beaten the Grizz if they would have worn stick-em on their hands. 23 TO's? Not even Malik could have helped that!

duncan2k5
02-27-2005, 04:19 AM
i guess we weren't there mentally. maybe we would have won with Nazr, but we all know we still were supposed to beat the grizz with or without him.

mattyc
02-27-2005, 05:01 AM
What's Pop waiting for then? Play Nazr. Don't tell me he's going to baby Mohammed like he babies Rasho.

Most every other player who was traded played right away. Instead Pop went to small ball, even though the Spurs were getting killed on the inside.

Niiiiiiiiiice.
Exactly.

Basketball is basketball, not matter the proclaimed complexity of the system. I can see the benefits of teaching Nazr from the sidelines, but games still have to be won and throwing a man into the game immediately on arrival could do wonders for his confidence and mentality at a new club.

We needed a big man, we could have played a big man.

ChumpDumper
02-27-2005, 05:03 AM
There's going to be one of these threads after every loss.

Streakyshooter08
02-27-2005, 07:44 AM
Don't forget that the Spurs lost against Memphis WITH Malik earlier this season. Just be patient an give the Spurs some games till we can say if it was a good or a bad trade. Horry is hurt and Massenburg played 4 minutes. Lets what happens on monday...

Why did Malik only play 9 minutes?

picnroll
02-27-2005, 08:33 AM
There's going to be one of these threads after every loss.
I'll bet all my vBookie $ on that.

GoldToe
02-27-2005, 09:05 AM
I think Devin's costly turnover's down the stretch is what cost the Spurs the game.

genghisrex
02-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Now if we also play with what’s inside our shirts -- and inside our heads – things can go our way.

http://www.spursinfo.com/photos/spurs/050127/050127_3.jpg

Hook Dem
02-27-2005, 11:43 AM
Don't forget that the Spurs lost against Memphis WITH Malik earlier this season. Just be patient an give the Spurs some games till we can say if it was a good or a bad trade. Horry is hurt and Massenburg played 4 minutes. Lets what happens on monday...

Why did Malik only play 9 minutes?
BINGO!!!!! Nazr hasn't even played yet. I think he should have last night but that one is on Pop. Malik is a super guy but not the saviour of the Spurs. Come on now! We were all sad to see him go but he is gone. How bout getting behind this team and giving them our support. Favre was a superstar even when his father died but evidently this team does not have that mental capability. If this poor effort was due to Malik leaving or just a protest, it doesn't matter. It's a loss either way and we have to look to the future. I prefer to think this team will respond in a big way and Nazr will be a part of it.

ALVAREZ6
02-27-2005, 11:45 AM
In 46 minutes! Rasho, Horry and Massenburg combined for 7 rebounds 3 offensive.

:depressed
...pathetic...

exstatic
02-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Funny, we lost an almost identical game WITH Malik Rose to Memphis earlier this season. The main two reasons SA lost this game were that they settled for too many outside jumpers, and turned the ball over too many times. Malik helps neither of those causes, and in fact would probably feed right into them. His big forte is rebounding, and SA already won THAT battle, 46-38.

Bury the hate, LJ.

Spurminator
02-27-2005, 12:48 PM
Last night's game showed what the Spurs would look like if we had waived Malik and gotten nothing in return.

Since we didn't, I'm not overly concerned about it. But I hope Pop isn't planning on giving Nazr any more days off to "learn the schemes."

whottt
02-27-2005, 01:39 PM

http://www.mysanantonio.com/specials/spurschamps/slideshows/spursnetsgame3/images/game6.jpg

Mutombo to Rose: Dunk No More

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- The first guarantee of the NBA final goes to New Jersey Nets centre Dikembe Mutombo.

Sorry, it has nothing to do with the Nets beating the San Antonio Spurs in either the series or in Game 4 on Wednesday night at the Continental Airlines Arena.

Mutombo just issued a pre-emptive finger wave to Malik Rose. If the San Antonio forward tries to dunk over the seven-foot-two Nets centre, as he did in Game 3, the ball may end up back in New York City.

Mutombo entertained the media Tuesday, discussing Rose's fourth-quarter windmill slam that ignited the Spurs to victory in Game 3 on Sunday night.

Much was written about the dunk, and television replayed it over and over.

Now Mutombo is sick of hearing, reading and seeing it.

"To me a dunk is a dunk," said Mutombo, a four-time NBA defensive player of the year. "I got dunked on more in my career than I can remember that dunk. I can tell you I didn't see it. I didn't see it coming."

Rose, six foot seven, got a step on Kenyon Martin and Mutombo was a little late coming over to help, which gave Rose a free jam.

"The kid got a dunk and I saw the paper today, they talk about a dunk," Mutombo said in his ultra-baritone voice. "I hope he comes with another one. He's going to see where it ends up. Trust me. If he tries to bring that dunk again, we will see it."

The more Mutombo talked about it, the funnier he got.

"I got dunked on at all-star games, you name it, all the competitions I have played," Mutombo said. "I got dunked on by Shaq, Kobe, you name any player. Michael Jordan."

The mention of Jordan sent Mutombo on a tangent about Jordan.

"It took him for so long to dunk on me, but when he finally did and he gave me the finger wave in my face," Mutombo said. "I said: 'Mike you got it, but it took you so long."'

Mutombo said dunks are one of things that make the game exciting. Fans come to see them and really react to a good one.

Rose's was a great one. He termed it "pretty impressive."

While Mutombo also appreciated it, he thought he was blown out of proportion.

"I was a little bit upset to read all this (stuff) going on about Malik Rose, Malik Rose," Mutombo said. "I thought it was somebody. I love the kid. He is a nice kid. He worked his way up to make himself a star, but don't put him up there like he is the top of this building."

Rose groaned when asked about the dunk after the Spurs arrived a few minutes late for their availability.

"Oh God, you got anything on Game 4?" Rose shot back.

When told Mutombo wasn't going to let him dunk again, Rose went along.

"Maybe it won't (happen)," Rose said. "That's the first time in seven years for me. I got him that one time. That's all I need."

Spurs centre David Robinson appreciated how Mutombo felt about the dunk. He's been there before.

He also had his own MJ story.

The first time he saw the NBA's greatest player, he wanted to go over and say: "Hello, Mr. Jordan. How are you?"

Jordan didn't let him.

"He said: 'I'm going to dunk on you big fellow. I've dunked on all the other big fellows and you're next,"' Robinson recalled. "It took me back.

"I said: 'Don't even try that. Don't even bring it up in the paint."

Four years later, the Bulls made a late run on Robinson and the Spurs and Jordan dunked over Robinson and looked back at him.

"'I told you I was going to dunk on you,"' a smiling Robinson recalled Jordan saying. "It just made me so mad."

Mutombo talks about being angry and smiles as widely as Robinson.

"I wish my kids had asked me about it, maybe I would feel bad," Mutombo said. "No one of them asked me about it, so I cannot feel bad."

But Mutombo will not let Rose dunk again.

"The finger is going to be rolling," Mutombo said of the notorious finger wave he gives after blocking a shot. "I'm just going to ask him to bring that dunk again, see if he can beat K-Mart with one step and come again. I'll be waiting for him."

timvp
02-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Funny, we lost an almost identical game WITH Malik Rose to Memphis earlier this season. The main two reasons SA lost this game were that they settled for too many outside jumpers, and turned the ball over too many times. Malik helps neither of those causes, and in fact would probably feed right into them. His big forte is rebounding, and SA already won THAT battle, 46-38.

Bury the hate, LJ.

What hate am I supposed to be burying? Malik Rose was the forum whipping boy for three years, I'm just interested in seeing what happens now that he isn't around to blame and how the fans react to him putting up big numbers elsewhere.

The grass isn't always greener and if Nazr Mohammed is going to be coddled a la Rasho Nesterovic, the Spurs will have another timid low post player next to Tim Duncan.

Outstanding.

ShoogarBear
02-27-2005, 01:55 PM
Do I need to post the stats for Nazr's last five games again?

But, but. . . "he's hurt" goes the excuse.

So then WTF did we trade for him?

whottt
02-27-2005, 01:59 PM
The grass isn't always greener and if Nazr Mohammed is going to be coddled a la Rasho Nesterovic, the Spurs will have another timid low post player next to Tim Duncan.

Outstanding.

You ever notice that the guys Pop coddles always seem to let us down in the end?

While the guys he plays hardball with are always the ones who man up.

About the only time coddling worked was with SJax...and SJax wanted to be on the court playing instead of being coddled.

Kori Ellis
02-27-2005, 02:00 PM
What makes you guys think he's going to coddle Nazr?

timvp
02-27-2005, 02:02 PM
I've never heard of not playing a player after trading for him. At least give him some token time to get used to the uniform or whatever.

The scary thing is Pop said Nazr might not even play in their game on Monday. If that's true, you might as well rename him Nazo Mosterovic.

Kori Ellis
02-27-2005, 02:04 PM
If he doesn't play Monday, then I will assume that his groin injury is more than we think, because the Spurs are practicing today and that should be enough that he should get spot minutes at the least.

whottt
02-27-2005, 02:04 PM
I was just looking for an excuse to say "coddle" again...it's kind of a funny word.

ShoogarBear
02-27-2005, 02:05 PM
Watch out, whottt now may ask for a "group coddle" . . .

whottt
02-27-2005, 02:05 PM
If he doesn't play Monday, then I will assume that his groin injury is more than we think, because the Spurs are practicing today and that should be enough that he should get spot minutes at the least.

IF he is that injured doesn't that make you question the timing of this trade?

I mean if bigs are our problem why trade for an injured one?

timvp
02-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Popovich said the team's new center may play Monday in Cleveland, and definitely by Wednesday's home game against Toronto.

"I don't want to put him in a situation where he can't be successful because he's worried about how we do things," Popovich said. "I want him to get a little bit of the (terminology) and get familiar with the guys a little bit."

Mohammed has been limited recently by a groin injury, but Popovich said the Spurs' medical staff doesn't think it's serious enough to keep him from playing.

http://www.cmarka.pl/odzywianie/res/baby_breast.jpg

whottt
02-27-2005, 02:10 PM
LMAO...

And Pop never once worried about Malik's state of mind...perhaps that's why Malik went on to go throw down once in a lifetime dunks in the finals.

Knicks didn't seem to be too worried about his state of mind either...they just threw him out there...and he played well.

ShoogarBear
02-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Any see the irony in trading Malik for a guy who's got a groin impairment?

genghisrex
02-27-2005, 02:22 PM
I've never heard of not playing a player after trading for him. At least give him some token time to get used to the uniform or whatever.

The scary thing is Pop said Nazr might not even play in their game on Monday. If that's true, you might as well rename him Nazo Mosterovic.
Had the game not been so close at the end I'm sure Nazr would have seen the floor. Pop's a control freak, though, and I'm not at all surprised that he didn't give Nazr time in a tight game until he's gone through a practice and learned the basics of the Spurs' D.

boutons
02-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Come on, Pop runs his own "system" with its own lingo, etc, esp on defensive roles. So Pop's comment sounds absolutely coherent and justifiable in the Spurs context.

OTOH, I bet the Knicks don't run much of system at all but just "grind it out"/"free-lance", welcoming throwing in a Malik, or anybody, esp when such anybody is role player, not a playmaker or 1,2,3 off. option.

I admit that I'm surprised that Pacers, who are 7-3 in Last10 and seem to be post-ASB buckling down, lost @Knicks. And I'm willing to go with the "good-will/good-luck hypothesis" that Malik was enough of a spark to sustain the Knicks win.

Go Malik!, you would have anyway joined into the Spurs suckfest last night, since when suckfesting strikes, it strikes the entire Spurs team.

sungo99
02-27-2005, 02:58 PM
Do I need to post the stats for Nazr's last five games again?

The Spurs didn't trade for Nazr. They got rid of Rose. There's a difference. The Spurs are saving $20 million if future contracts (not counting the guaranteed money to the first round picks). The Spurs would have traded Rose for ANYBODY with an expiring contract. Thankfully the Knicks gave them somebody they could use.

timvp
02-27-2005, 03:00 PM
The Spurs didn't trade for Nazr. They got rid of Rose. There's a difference. The Spurs are saving $20 million if future contracts (not counting the guaranteed money to the first round picks). The Spurs would have traded Rose for ANYBODY with an expiring contract. Thankfully the Knicks gave them somebody they could use.

Incorrect. I would correct you, but we've gone over this a million times already.

Read the forum.

wildbill2u
02-27-2005, 03:03 PM
why didn't Nasr play. The same reason some other players don't get into the game on a coach's decision.

If anyone here thinks he can fathom Pop's calls on player time, I'd like you to become my investment advisor because you have a helluva crystal ball. :rolleyes

sungo99
02-27-2005, 03:15 PM
Incorrect. I would correct you, but we've gone over this a million times already.

Read the forum.

What exactly is incorrect?

exstatic
02-27-2005, 04:17 PM

Because he'll get better, but Malik will never get taller.

whottt
02-27-2005, 04:55 PM
Shawn Bradley is the best player in the NBA

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-27-2005, 05:09 PM
Ugh. Somehow I knew there'd be a thread on this, just didn't know who'd post it.

Look people, we had 23 turnovers, which in turn contributed to Memphis getting 17 more shots on offense than us. I know it's hard to fathom but when your three primary ball handlers (Tony, Tim, Manu) combine for 16 turnovers, you aren't going to win many games.

Oh, and while I'm at it, two other things...

* Tim missed 6 free throws, we lose by two.

* Once again we are treated with an almost criminal lack of creativity by Pop in designing our last play. Run Duncan off a screen? For what? A jumper?

Tim should have been involved in the last play, but he should have been setting a pick on Manu's man and letting Ginobili go for the score. Dude was hot late.

But once again, it's gotta run through Tim, even though there's a better than good chance that Memphis would have happily fouled him and put him on the line.

timvp
02-27-2005, 05:14 PM
It shouldn't have been close. With Rose eating up boards and providing the energy, the Spurs would have blown them out.

The Spurs were beat by the white Malik Rose.

Admit it.

picnroll
02-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Watching Malik play for NY was like watching Malik play when he earned his contract. Hard nosed defense, rebounding, nine hard minutes where he fininshed his stint gasping for air. He didn't try to become the focal point of the offense.

Contrast that with the post-contract Spur's Malik who decided he was the go to guy on the team, setting up in the low post and calling for the ball every play.

I wish Malik well in NY. But it was time to move on.

sungo99
02-27-2005, 05:18 PM
It shouldn't have been close. With Rose eating up boards and providing the energy, the Spurs would have blown them out.

Admit it.

The "White Malik Rose" was 3-14 with only 7 REB in 38 minutes.

The Spurs were "beat" by their 23 turnovers and their tendency to play down to their competition, especially when their competition has key players injured.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-27-2005, 05:23 PM
Watching Malik play for NY was like watching Malik play when he earned his contract. Hard nosed defense, rebounding, nine hard minutes where he fininshed his stint gasping for air. He didn't try to become the focal point of the offense.

Contrast that with the post-contract Spur's Malik who decided he was the go to guy on the team, setting up in the low post and calling for the ball every play.

picnroll sums it up perfectly.

whottt
02-27-2005, 05:26 PM
picnroll, I've always thought you were a good poster...the realization that you are one with the darkside is almost as traumatic as the tragic loss of Malik Rose.

AHF, it's good to see you have recovered from your stroke.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-27-2005, 05:46 PM
What stroke is that? I've been in College Station all weekend watching A&M stomp Tech's ass in hoops.

exstatic
02-27-2005, 06:21 PM

Admit it.

The "White Malik Rose" was 3-14 with only 7 REB in 38 minutes.

Yup, that looks JUST like a Malik line.

exstatic
02-27-2005, 06:23 PM
You know, if it was 46-38 on the boards in favor of Memphis instead of 46-38 San Antonio, you might have a case, LJ. SA lost the game because of inadequate outside shooting, allowing Memphis to collapse their defense and cause 23 turnovers . Malik wouldn't have helped either of those flaws.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-27-2005, 06:32 PM
We lost the game because of:

24 turnovers
6 missed TD FTs
1 sorry ass Pop designed end of game play

Malik wouldn't have changed any of that, unless you think Rose would have been in and gotten the ball at the end of the game. :lol

whottt
02-27-2005, 06:43 PM
What stroke is that?

The one that you suffered when you didn't have Malik to blame for a loss....

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-27-2005, 06:57 PM
I've already laid out why we lost, I'm sorry you're too much of a Rose lover to comprehend.

GoSpurs21
02-27-2005, 10:38 PM
No question.

Malik Rose is the PERFECT cover for Brian Cardinal. He's built to take on Cardinal on both ends of the court. Cardinal hurt the Spurs with seven boards and three steals, playing the pesky role that Rose played for the Spurs. His stats weren't pretty, but he was one of the main reasons why the Grizzlies won.

The Spurs production from the bigmen outside of Tim Duncan was horrible. Rasho Nesterovic played good defense, but he seems to forget that there are two sides to the court. The Spurs can't win if they have to play four on five on offense.

Robert Horry right now shouldn't be playing. He's limping and can't jump or move side to side. I'm not sure if he's injured or just on cruise control waiting for the playoffs, but he doesn't deserve any minutes at this point. Tony Massenburg has regressed to the point that he's not worth playing either.

That is where Rose would have come in. He's 100% heart and energy and that is what the Grizzlies used to beat the Spurs. They didn't knock down a lot of shots, they just competed and gave a lot of effort. The Spurs were lacking that, especially from their bigmen.

If you watched that game and have the nerve to say the Spurs wouldn't have won that game with Malik Rose, you don't know Spurs basketball.

Point blank.Funny I dont remember Rose playing that many minutes against the Griz in last years playoffs sweep. Try reading Buck Harvey's column for Malik's number against the Griz the past 1.5 years. I can definitely say that Malik playing would not have made a difference, but everybody walking around like Malik just died sure played a big role in it.

Let the emotions go and take a step back. God I hope the players dont have as much of a problem with the Malik trade as most of the posters here. If they do then the Spurs really have mental problems. Malik didnt play that much this season, most wanted him traded at one point in the season.

Hook Dem
02-27-2005, 11:33 PM
This shit is gettin funny! http://tinypic.com/1yrhvq