PDA

View Full Version : Clarett's poor performance at the combines.

pooh
02-27-2005, 04:19 AM
A 4.7 and a 4.8 in the 40 yesterday. He's staring at possibily going either in the 6th or 7th round now. What a waste.

IceColdBrewski
02-27-2005, 04:43 PM
There's a difference between workout speed and game speed.

Late 2nd or early 3rd.

pooh
02-28-2005, 02:32 AM
He's got another workout planned in a few weeks, he better be impressive, otherwise he will be staring at a late round entry.

IceColdBrewski
02-28-2005, 08:41 AM
He's got another workout planned in a few weeks, he better be impressive, otherwise he will be staring at a late round entry.

I took the other workout into consideration. Happens every year. The 40 numbers always seem to improve on their "pro day" workout. His stock will rise and some desperate owner (like Al Davis) will draft him a lot sooner than most expect.

2pac
02-28-2005, 11:33 AM
http://img159.exs.cx/img159/8161/clarrettoldman8fl.jpg

Duff McCartney
02-28-2005, 12:38 PM
I hope Clarett falls flat on his face....the guy is nothing but a dumbass.

FromWayDowntown
02-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Had an interesting experience this weekend, as I flew in and out of Indianapolis, getting to meet a few combine attendees who were on their way to or home from their tests. On a flight from Memphis to Indy, sat with a kid, reported to be a marginal prospect, who was scared to death of what he was getting himself into. He told me that he wasn't able to sleep at all on Thursday night and was very nervous about what awaited him in Indy. It reminded me that these kids are under some pretty intense pressure at the combine. Nobody was under more pressure than Clarett. I'll take his results with a grain of salt.

Mr Dio
02-28-2005, 09:07 PM
He also QUIT in the face of adversity rather than endure humility. ESPN noted that many in attendance noted he'd prob do the same thing in the 4th qtr.

IceColdBrewski
03-01-2005, 09:12 AM
He also QUIT in the face of adversity rather than endure humility. ESPN noted that many in attendance noted he'd prob do the same thing in the 4th qtr.

Eh? That's kinda stretching things a bit. I'm sure his agent had something to do with his decision to skip out on the rest of the drills. Dude is obviously a little rusty after all the time off. And it was probably wise to skip out and dodge any further embarassment.

He has at least one more chance. Priest Holmes had a terrible 40 time as well if memory serves me correctly.

Clandestino
03-01-2005, 10:07 AM
nfl should just let the players get in after high school like the nba... if they get crushed they can then say, "i told you so!"

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Eh? That's kinda stretching things a bit. I'm sure his agent had something to do with his decision to skip out on the rest of the drills. Dude is obviously a little rusty after all the time off. And it was probably wise to skip out and dodge any further embarassment.

He has at least one more chance. Priest Holmes had a terrible 40 time as well if memory serves me correctly.

Were I a player evaluator, I'd think of the combine numbers as either confirmation of something I already knew or completely irrelevant. Too many times, teams have fallen in love with guys like Jeff Lageman, Mike Mamula, Aundray Bruce, and others based on fantastic combine workouts, only to find that the guys can't really play ball.

Clarett has shown (at least in spurts) that he can play at a very high level -- he was exceptional in Ohio State's big games in 2002 -- even if his combine numbers might not be optimal. I've known Priest Holmes for a long time, and I'm not sure that Priest has ever ran a sub 4.7. Even Jerry Rice ran something like 4.7 when he went to the combine. Those guys are proof that combine numbers don't make for good player evaluations.

Mr Dio
03-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Priest Holmes had a terrible 40 time as well if memory serves me correctly

When did Jerry Rice or Priest EVER quit?

I never said #s were the bottom line..I think results & effort are. Last time I chkd the 40 gave a result..how fast or slow someone was. Effort, he gave no further effort..he just Q-U-I-T. He might be a very good NFL player. Might be a Lawrence Phillips.

FromWayDowntown
03-02-2005, 11:24 AM
I never said #s were the bottom line..I think results & effort are. Last time I chkd the 40 gave a result..how fast or slow someone was. Effort, he gave no further effort..he just Q-U-I-T. He might be a very good NFL player. Might be a Lawrence Phillips.

You don't know exactly what happened. Clarett may have wanted to push forward with all of the tests and been told by his agent not to. What's he to do at that point? Saying that he should defy his agent is not unlike saying that a person who has hired an attorney should just ignore what the attorney advises. It's not a winning strategy.

All I know is that Clarett got things done on the field in big moments when he was playing for Ohio State. I'd rather base my evaluation of him on those efforts than by his obedience to his agent. (by the way, if he is listening to his agent, it might actually suggest that he's more coachable than some might think -- that would be a good quality).