PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Duncan Bounces Back With Help From Friends

duncan228
01-03-2009, 01:22 AM
Duncan bounces back with help from friends (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Duncan_bounces_back_with_help_from_friends.html)
Jeff McDonald

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Tim Duncan headed into Friday's game at Memphis needing something to forget the unpleasant way his 2008 had ended. His teammates were all too happy to provide it.

Two nights removed from a 7-for-20 shooting struggle in a Dec. 30 loss to Milwaukee, Duncan made his first five shots of 2009 in the Spurs' 91-80 victory over the Grizzlies.

Blessed by the Spurs' superb ball movement, four of Duncan's first five makes came off either a dunk or a layup. Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Anthony Tolliver and Matt Bonner each set Duncan up for a confidence-building chip shot in the first half.

“It's huge just to see the ball go in the basket,” Duncan said. “It doesn't matter what it is, whether it's a layup or dunk, just to get that off your shoulders. It makes shots and post moves a lot easier when you have one in the basket already.”

Duncan filled the night's box score with 20 points, 10 rebounds, five assists and three blocks, shooting 8 of 11 from the field. It was his 19th double-double in 32 games this season.

Duncan's bounce-back night was nearly interrupted with 5:50 left in the second quarter when he banged knees with Memphis' Rudy Gay. Duncan was pivoting to his left when Gay swooped in to try for the steal, causing the collision and drawing a foul.

Duncan tumbled to the floor and remained there for a few minutes, holding his left knee in obvious pain, but did not miss any court time. After a timeout, he returned to make one of two free throws.

“I just got hit in a bad spot,” Duncan said. “It will hurt tomorrow, but such is life.”

Duncan doesn't have much time to allow the pain to subside. The Spurs face Philadelphia tonight at the AT&T Center.

Oberto back: Spurs center Fabricio Oberto returned to the active list Friday after missing eight of the previous nine games with a strained muscle in his left foot.

He logged just 2 minutes and 17 seconds off the bench in his return, grabbing one rebound but not attempting a shot.

See you next season: In a scheduling quirk, Friday's game marked the final time the Spurs will face the Grizzlies this season. The Spurs swept the series 4-0.

If it seems strange that the Spurs would be finished with a Southwest Division foe one game into January, that's because it is.

“I never know the rhyme or reason for scheduling,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “I just know it must be very difficult. There's always something odd every year, and there is for every team. There's no computer smart enough to figure all that stuff out.”

Waiting on The Franchise: There was still no Steve Francis sighting Friday at the FedEx Forum. Francis, acquired in a Christmas Eve trade with Houston, is taking his time reporting to Memphis. Grizzlies officials say they expect him by the end of the week.

duncan228
01-03-2009, 01:25 AM
Duncan tumbled to the floor and remained there for a few minutes, holding his left knee in obvious pain...

And 228 stopped breathing until he got up. :lol

MI21
01-03-2009, 03:06 AM
[B]“I never know the rhyme or reason for scheduling,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “I just know it must be very difficult. There's always something odd every year, and there is for every team. There's no computer smart enough to figure all that stuff out.”

This will probably sound ridiculous, but I think it is 1 guy who does the scheduling and does a lot of it in his head. I swear I've seen an article saying that, I'll try dig it up.

T Park
01-03-2009, 03:09 AM
I could've sworn it was done with a computer.

m33p0
01-03-2009, 04:42 AM
This will probably sound ridiculous, but I think it is 1 guy who does the scheduling and does a lot of it in his head. I swear I've seen an article saying that, I'll try dig it up.
an independent accounting/auditing firm somewhere in new york. i think the league hires a new one every year or at least for a few years.

TDMVPDPOY
01-03-2009, 05:44 AM
at leasts im lookin towards better games, than playing the memphis team again....

mrspurs
01-03-2009, 07:30 AM
at leasts im lookin towards better games, than playing the memphis team again....

Agreed, its been a season filled with playing less then above average basketball. Its time to see what this team is made out of. Real soon were gonna find out if slowing down games and shooting from beyond the arc, is gonna be good enough to beat the best in the west.:wow

bigfundamental21
01-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Duncan tumbled to the floor and remained there for a few minutes, holding his left knee in obvious pain, but did not miss any court time.

And 228 stopped breathing until he got up. :lol

As did Spurs fans around the world! Glad to see that he was okay.

As for the game, I was glad this wasn't another close game at the end. Duncan got off to a terrific start and the team really played cohesively on defense. The three point shooting was terrible, but luckily, our D helped keep the Grizz from making a comeback attempt.

Hope the guys are ready to go against the Sixers tonight.

YoMamaIsCallin
01-03-2009, 12:03 PM
“I just got hit in a bad spot,” Duncan said. “It will hurt tomorrow, but such is life.”

This epitomizes why I enjoy following the Spurs.

What other 7 foot basketball player has ever, in the history of the NBA, said "Such is life." in response to a reporter's question?

Perfect. Just perfect.

Manufan909
01-03-2009, 01:01 PM
This epitomizes why I enjoy following the Spurs.

What other 7 foot basketball player has ever, in the history of the NBA, said "Such is life." in response to a reporter's question?

Perfect. Just perfect.

Nice catch. Now i have images of Timmy saying that while sipping Pop's wine in the best restaurants in Italy.