PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Grizzlies - Jan. 2

timvp
01-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Going up against the Memphis Grizzlies – yet again – the San Antonio Spurs were trying to bounce back from a bitter home defeat. Using a good defensive effort and enough offense, the Spurs beat the Grizzlies in Memphis by a final score of 91-80.

The Spurs blew the game open in the third quarter with a 16-4 run to extend their lead to 19 points. During the run, Matt Bonner had a pair of three-pointers and Tony Parker had five points. In the fourth period, the Grizzlies made a few pushes but the Spurs were able to keep a comfortable lead throughout.

It took four games, but the Spurs finally figured out how to defend the Grizzlies. OJ Mayo had torched San Antonio in his previous three matchups but the Spurs continuously doubled him to try to force him into passing. With Rudy Gay, the gameplan was to force him into as many jumpers as possible. Both strategies paid off as Memphis’ dynamic duo scored only 21 points on 10-of-27 shooting.

Overall, it was a solid win for the Spurs. Their defense was much better than we saw against the Milwaukee Bucks in the last outing. The offense wasn’t anything to get too excited about but when the Spurs defend, they should be able to win even with a below average offensive showing. And they did.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
32 minutes, 20 points, ten rebounds, five assists, three blocks, three turnovers
8-for-11 from the field, 4-for-6 at the line

Tim Duncan looked much better than he did in the previous two contests. He was back to playing defense and rebounding the ball. Specifically, his pick-and-roll defense was much improved and he played with more physicality in the paint. Offensively, he worked hard and was able to finish at the rim. I was also impressed by how hard he ran the floor. All in all, it was a very good performance from Duncan – especially compared to how he played since the Christmas game against Phoenix.
-------------------------------

Manu Ginobili
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg
24 minutes, 13 points, six rebounds, six assists, five steals, three turnovers
4-for-9 from the field, 0-for-4 on three-pointers, 5-for-6 at the line

Although he was cold from downtown, Manu Ginobili was very good in all other aspects of the game. On defense, Ginobili was causing havoc and playing extremely hard. As a result, he swiped a season-high five steals. Ginobili was also impressive on the boards as he skied for many of his six rebounds. On the offensive end, I liked how Ginobili attacked the rim. He had a few careless turnovers but he made up for those with his six assists. Health-wise, Ginobili looked good – especially when jumping off of two feet.

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg
33 minutes, 19 points, five assists, four rebounds
7-for-15 from the field, 5-for-6 at the line

Tony Parker’s stats don’t look too special but he had a good showing. Defensively, he played with more zeal and did a very good job against both Kyle Lowry and Mike Conley. He directed traffic well on offense and made good decisions on when to shoot and when to pass. His assists total would have been a lot higher if the three-point shots were falling.

Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
27 minutes, five points, five rebounds
2-for-7 from the field, 1-for-4 on three-pointers

Michael Finley had been playing really well recently but his game against the Grizzlies wasn’t too impressive. His individual defense was a step slow and he missed a few rotations. His defensive rebounding, however, was a bright spot on that end of the court. On offense, he missed a number of open shots and then became unsure of himself. Then again, with as well as he’s been offensively, Finley was due for a sub par shooting performance.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
29 minutes, three points, two rebounds, two assists
1-for-11 from the field, 0-for-6 on three-pointers

Speaking of sub par shooting performances, Roger Mason, Jr. was ice cold in Memphis. His 1-for-11 shooting included six misses on his attempts from beyond the three-point line. The good news is that he kept firing and he played well on the defensive end. Starting against Mayo, he set the defensive tone as Mayo didn’t put points on the board until the second quarter.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
30 minutes, 16 points, two rebounds
7-for-9 from the field, 2-for-2 on three-pointers

Matt Bonner had been slumping both offensively and in the rebounding department. On this night, Bonner broke out of the offensive half of that slump. His 16 points were the most points he scored since he scored 17 points on Dec. 14. In seven of his last eight games, he didn’t even break double figures. His defense against the Grizzlies was solid, although his rebounding woes continued. Two rebounds in 30 minutes isn’t anywhere near acceptable. He was stuck out on the perimeter guarding Gay and Hakim Warrick for a lot of his court time so he wasn’t going to have a dominant performance on the glass – but he also had a few bounce off of his hands.

Bruce Bowen
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3167.jpg
17 minutes, six points
2-for-2 from the field, 2-for-2 on three-pointers

Bruce Bowen spent time on both Mayo and Gay and did fine work on both. He crowded Gay to try to take his dribble and used his length wisely against Mayo. On offense, Bowen connected on both of his shots from the field – both of which were three-pointers. He has now hit six of his previous seven three-point attempts and he’s shooting a career-high 47.7% from beyond the arc.

Anthony Tolliver
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4371.jpg
15 minutes, three points, three rebounds, two assists
1-for-4 from the field, 1-for-3 on three-pointers

It’s beginning to be a shame that this guy can’t hit the broad side of a barn. Against Memphis, Anthony Tolliver played well defensively, especially in pick-and-roll situations. He also hit the boards with energy. On offense, his deceptively good passing skills were again on display. All that said, Tolliver will likely soon lose his role to the now healthy Fabricio Oberto due to his inability to shoot.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
15 minutes, four points, four steals, two rebounds, one block
1-for-2 from the field, 2-for-2 from the line

George Hill played some of the best defense of his Spurs career. He pressured the ball well and then played extremely aggressive help defense. As a result, he had four steals and a blocked shot in only 15 minutes of action. On offense, Hill was a little bit better but he’s still not nearly as explosive as he was early in December. He is continuing to try to figure out how to fit into the offense when playing limited minutes.

Kurt Thomas
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3012.jpg
14 minutes, two points
1-for-1 from the field

Kurt Thomas played good post defense but that was about all he provided on Friday night. He wasn’t crashing the boards, he wasn’t much of a help on the offensive end and his overall activity level was below his recent standard. With Oberto back in uniform, now is the time for Thomas to win more minutes than usual by continuing his good play of late.

Gregg Popovich
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/popovich_gregg030428.jpg

The most notable aspect of Pop’s coaching was that he was able to limit the minutes of his stars even though the game wasn’t a total blowout. With the Spurs playing the first game of a back-to-back, that was particularly important. I like how Pop gave Tolliver another chance to stick in the rotation even though Oberto was back. I also like how he stuck with Mason even though he couldn’t buy a bucket.

Offense

Usually when the Spurs shoot 6-for-22 on three-pointers, it’s going to be a long day on the offensive end of the court. Thankfully, the Spurs were doing well enough in other aspects and were able to overcome their frigid outside shooting. For the game, the Spurs shot 47.9% from the field, racked up 22 assists and hit 17-of-21 free throws. After turning the ball over ten times if the first half, they had only four second half turnovers.

Defense

The defense started off strong and remained steady for almost the entire night. On the game, the Grizzlies shot 39.7% from the field, missed 12-of-14 three-pointers and had just 11 assists to go along with 16 turnovers. While the Spurs were able to get 12 steals, they didn’t do a very good job on the boards. The Grizzlies were able to corral 13 offensive rebounds and out-boarded the Spurs on the whole by a final margin of 38-36.

Drive to Five

The Philadelphia 76ers come to town on Saturday night to face the Spurs. Playing without Elton Brand, the Sixers have lost five of their last six games. The Spurs need this win to get back on the winning track at home. A letdown here would be disappointing.

Believe.

m33p0
01-03-2009, 06:55 AM
thanks for the game thoughts. :tu

Defense

The defense started off strong and remained steady for almost the entire night. On the game, the Grizzlies shot 39.7% from the field, missed 12-of-14 three-pointers and had just 11 assists to go along with 16 turnovers. While the Spurs were able to get 12 steals, they didn’t do a very good job on the boards. The Grizzlies were able to corral 13 offensive rebounds and out-boarded the Spurs on the whole by a final margin of 38-36.
i hope this continues and not just a splash on the pan.

about tolliver, one bad shooting game can be considered an anomaly. 2 or 3, a trend. but what he has so far can be considered a tradition.

glad to see the RED ROCKET! still has a pulse.

mrspurs
01-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Well regardless of a win or loss. Im happy to finally get rid of playing the Grizz. They're in our division and a very sorry team. I look forward to playing the tough teams already. Its time to play some real basketball and this month is the month we finally get a chance to. Philly is another team like the Bucks. No matter what Philly roster and record says, they've always played us well. But they're still a sorry team. I know its a back2back, but there is no excuse for losing to them. We must beat all the sorry teams this month in order to at least get out of it at .500 imo.

O.J Mayo
01-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Well regardless of a win or loss. Im happy to finally get rid of playing the Grizz. They're in our division and a very sorry team. I look forward to playing the tough teams already. Its time to play some real basketball and this month is the month we finally get a chance to. Philly is another team like the Bucks. No matter what Philly roster and record says, they've always played us well. But they're still a sorry team. I know its a back2back, but there is no excuse for losing to them. We must beat all the sorry teams this month in order to at least get out of it at .500 imo.

Hey, we are not a sorry team. Save your pity for the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Spurs Brazil
01-03-2009, 09:19 AM
Tolliver key date is coming.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-090103-04

Saturday, Jan. 10

All contracts are guaranteed for the rest of the season if a player is on a roster as of Jan. 10 or has not cleared waivers before 6 p.m. on Jan 9.

Teams will thus be required to shed any player deemed surplus to requirements by 6 p.m. on Jan. 7.

The 25 players facing the greatest risk over the next few days, all of whom are working on minimum deals:

Mario West (Atlanta); Juwan Howard (Charlotte); Lindsey Hunter and Michael Ruffin (Chicago); Jawad Williams (Cleveland); Rob Kurz, Anthony Morrow, DeMarcus Nelson and C.J. Watson (Golden State); Von Wafer (Houston); Paul Davis and Fred Jones (Los Angeles Clippers); Josh Powell (Los Angeles Lakers); Darius Miles (Memphis); Shaun Livingston and Jamaal Magloire (Miami); Austin Croshere (Milwaukee); Kevin Ollie (Minnesota); Sean Marks (New Orleans); Jeremy Richardson (Orlando); Dee Brown (Phoenix); Malik Hairston and Anthony Tolliver (San Antonio); Jake Voskuhl (Toronto); Juan Dixon (Washington).

Manufan909
01-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Tolliver key date is coming.

He must shoot over 33% from 3 between now and right before then to stay, and I don't think he can handle that. Sign Courtney for an audition already, Pop!!!:bang

gingerwave
01-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Hey, we are not a sorry team. Save your pity for the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Well put. Never give the spurs pity. :flag:

T Park
01-03-2009, 01:10 PM
He must shoot over 33% from 3 between now and right before then to stay, and I don't think he can handle that. Sign Courtney for an audition already, Pop!!!:bang

:lol

Yeah sign the D Leaguer whos shown to be as good as Tolliver.

benefactor
01-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Calm down bro. It's only a week away and unless something drastic happens Tolliver will most likely be waived. It's a shame because I had high hopes for him. There is a potential with all the other skills he has, so hopefully he finds his offense and can become a contributor on an NBA team someday.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the last roster spot. I don't see much in the other players that may get waived also, so perhaps we bring up Andre Brown and give him a shot? Call it a gut feeling but I don't see us going outside of the Toros immediately to get Sims or Hendrix.

Manufan909
01-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Calm down bro. It's only a week away and unless something drastic happens Tolliver will most likely be waived. It's a shame because I had high hopes for him. There is a potential with all the other skills he has, so hopefully he finds his offense and can become a contributor on an NBA team someday.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the last roster spot. I don't see much in the other players that may get waived also, so perhaps we bring up Andre Brown and give him a shot? Call it a gut feeling but I don't see us going outside of the Toros immediately to get Sims or Hendrix.

Describe Andre Brown for me then. Is he at least a competent big with a bit of low-post moves, a long 3, what?

Tully365
01-03-2009, 01:25 PM

Yeah sign the D Leaguer whos shown to be as good as Tolliver.

Courtney Sims averages more points, rebounds, and blocks per game than Tolliver by far. He also has a much higher efficiency rating and a much higher FG%. He also averages fewer fouls per game than Tolliver. Maybe instead of just being a complete Spurs homer all of the time, you might occasionally want to look at the facts.

The Truth #6
01-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Tolliver may not be signed for the rest of the season, but he may become part of a list of post players the Spurs will audition for the remaining of the season.

I think that would be the best strategy. Keep our eye on him but let ourselves try out a few other players as well.

It is a shame that he can't hit the side of a barn. He's quicker on defense than Bonner, a better passer for feeding Tim from the high post, has better hands, less of an occasional spazz, at this point a slightly better rebounder, however he gets pushed around even more than Bonner in post defense.

At this point it makes sense to hold on to Hairston. He's been through training camp and has been impressive enough in the D league.

Manufan909
01-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Courtney Sims averages more points, rebounds, and blocks per game than Tolliver by far. He also has a much higher efficiency rating and a much higher FG%. He also averages fewer fouls per game than Tolliver. Maybe instead of just being a complete Spurs homer all of the time, you might occasionally want to look at the facts.

Thanks for the stat backup, I didn't know all of that, but I knew Courtney was producing more in most areas than Toll.

And to T Park, do you always haver to be in condescending asshole mode, or is there an off switch, as in beer or some type of drug? If so, make sure to drink up, sniff, snort, smoke, whatever you need to do to be bearable.

mrspurs
01-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Oh make no mistake the Grizzs and the Thunder are both sorry teams. Combined yall have 14 wins. Thats combined. Thats less wins the the Clippers and the Kings put together. Thats less wins then the Pacers and Washington put together. Thats pretty sorry in any league. Dont take it personal. Those are just plain facts.

Bruno
01-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm quite split about Tolliver. I wouldn't be against Spurs' keeping him for the whole year or waiving him to try other players with his roster spot. The only thing I wouldn't like is Spurs waiving him to sign an old player like Horry.

BTW, Hairston has had a good game (23 points) yesterday with Toros against Utah Flash (a team featuring celtics' JR Giddens and Bill Walker).
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=2020800104

Illusionarist
01-03-2009, 02:18 PM
I would just like to tell you keep up the good work because this is the way in which recaps should be written. So keep up!!!!!

01-03-2009, 03:55 PM
good thing bonner played well. now the spurs can trade him. he should go for at least an expiring contract + draft pick. this will provide some luxury tax relief for next year. his mentality isn't there so i don't think he will help in the playoffs.

tp2021
01-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Not only does bringing Bruce off the bench extend him in the long-term by keeping his legs fresher to play his D in the playoffs, but it keeps his legs fresher to hit more 3's in the short-term.

z0sa
01-03-2009, 04:42 PM
I thought Bonner's defense was better than ever last night. Very quick rotations, hard nosed defense in the post, and excellent traps on the pick-n-roll resulting in multiple steals. If Bonner plays like that 60-70% of the time, our big man department is actually pretty well rounded.

KT: Defensive/tough big. Still has the ability to block shots and come up big.

Bonner: Hustle/shooting big a la Horry. Makes key defensive/offensive plays down the stretch, including spreading the floor for Tim Duncan.

Oberto: Smart/Hustle big. Great passer, and can be a decent post defender. Makes solid defensive contributions. If he continues to work on his 10 foot jumper, he could be very solid.

The fourth big is a mystery for a while longer.

T Park
01-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the stat backup, I didn't know all of that, but I knew Courtney was producing more in most areas than Toll.

And to T Park, do you always haver to be in condescending asshole mode, or is there an off switch, as in beer or some type of drug? If so, make sure to drink up, sniff, snort, smoke, whatever you need to do to be bearable.

Don't like it?

Scroll on by. I aint got a gun to your head.

T Park
01-03-2009, 05:24 PM
I thought Bonner's defense was better than ever last night. Very quick rotations, hard nosed defense in the post, and excellent traps on the pick-n-roll resulting in multiple steals. If Bonner plays like that 60-70% of the time, our big man department is actually pretty well rounded.

KT: Defensive/tough big. Still has the ability to block shots and come up big.

Bonner: Hustle/shooting big a la Horry. Makes key defensive/offensive plays down the stretch, including spreading the floor for Tim Duncan.

Oberto: Smart/Hustle big. Great passer, and can be a decent post defender. Makes solid defensive contributions. If he continues to work on his 10 foot jumper, he could be very solid.

The fourth big is a mystery for a while longer.

Yeah I agree about Bonner's defense last night, his rotations were crisp, he even got a hand or two on some shots, he closed out and guarded Rudy Gay well on the perimiter whos a tough matchup for ANYONE.

I thought Bonner was damn good last night and had he not had the balls knocked away, he would've had about 6 or 7 rebounds.

superbigtime
01-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Wow Mason looked nasty awful last night. Hopefully this last Memphis game will have gotten those errant shots out of his system. He was missing, and missing badly. Played nice D for most part though.

Bonner looked good again finally. I'm ready to see how Oberto does again. KT ... barely noticed him out there.

George Hill needs over 20 minutes please Pop!

Finley will have a better game tonight against Phila. He is really bringing the effort.

TP and TD were awesome. Manu had fewer errors than in recent games. Lots of hustle. Bring it Manu! Bruce did a nice job too.

Final thought...Tolliver sucks. Looks lost out there. Against friggin Memphis. Imagine him out there against LAL, BOS, DET. Thanks for playin.

T Park
01-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Wow Mason looked nasty awful last night. Hopefully this last Memphis game will have gotten those errant shots out of his system. He was missing, and missing badly. Played nice D for most part though.
Bonner looked good again finally. I'm ready to see how Oberto does again. KT ... barely noticed him out there.

George Hill needs over 20 minutes please Pop!

Finley will have a better game tonight against Phila. He is really bringing the effort.

TP and TD were awesome. Manu had fewer errors than in recent games. Lots of hustle. Bring it Manu! Bruce did a nice job too.

Final thought...Tolliver sucks. Looks lost out there. Against friggin Memphis. Imagine him out there against LAL, BOS, DET. Thanks for playin.

Yeah his shot was off, but I don't think that qualifies him as "nasty awful"

If he was playing bad D and being a general waste of space I'd agree. His defense on Mayo was damn good, and his passes into Duncan and offensive set ups were damn good. He really is Brent Barry but with defense. Which to me, is damn exciting.

I disagree wholeheartedly about Tolliver. He looked good on defense, he guarded Rudy Gay well and hung with him and banged inside well as well. He made 1 of his 3 shots, and seemed active overall. I just don't see where you guys see him as this horrible player. I see a Malik Rose type player with a potential good jump shot. I'm sorry but I'm just not ready to send this guy down the road permamently just yet.

T Park
01-03-2009, 06:04 PM
I agree also with the sentimate that when George Hill is playing well, you really have to find minutes for him somewhere. I think you could've played him instead of Mason or Finley last night and not missed a beat.

timvp
01-03-2009, 06:05 PM
I thought Bonner's defense was better than ever last night. Very quick rotations, hard nosed defense in the post, and excellent traps on the pick-n-roll resulting in multiple steals. If Bonner plays like that 60-70% of the time, our big man department is actually pretty well rounded.Eh, that's overboard. He did a commendable job turning Gay into a jumpshooter but the other areas of his defense weren't too impressive. He had some good rotations but a couple others were a half step late. He wasn't that good against Warrick and whenever he was matched up against Gasol, he let Gasol toss him around. Combine that with a poor rebounding game and I've definitely seen Bonner defend better than what he did last night.

Tully365
01-03-2009, 06:07 PM

Don't like it?

Scroll on by. I aint got a gun to your head.

I like how #1) you don't refute the fact that you were wrong about Sims and #2) you don't refute the fact that you are a condescending asshole.

At least you are right about some things.

T Park
01-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Eh, that's overboard. He did a commendable job turning Gay into a jumpshooter but the other areas of his defense weren't too impressive. He had some good rotations but a couple others were a half step late. He wasn't that good against Warrick and whenever he was matched up against Gasol, he let Gasol toss him around. Combine that with a poor rebounding game and I've definitely seen Bonner defend better than what he did last night.

Gasol is a beast for anyone to handle, even Duncan. I witnessed Gasol take DUncan down in the post and back him down pretty easily.

Warrick to Bonner's defense made a few tough shots and Bonner was right with him.

Granted Bonner wasn't Bruce Bowen out there, but he wasn't Michael Finley either.

T Park
01-03-2009, 06:09 PM
I like how #1) you don't refute the fact that you were wrong about Sims and #2) you don't refute the fact that you are a condescending asshole.

At least you are right about some things.

I'm not, I was just stating an opinion, and the opinion was that Sims is no better than Tolliver, it was based on seeing both play, not on numbers alone.

I'm sorry if chuckling at the notion that someone "demanding" a D Leaguer be brought in, makes me an asshole.

Assuming people's identities around here is a national past time so go right ahead and keep it up.

z0sa
01-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Eh, that's overboard. He did a commendable job turning Gay into a jumpshooter but the other areas of his defense weren't too impressive. He had some good rotations but a couple others were a half step late. He wasn't that good against Warrick and whenever he was matched up against Gasol, he let Gasol toss him around. Combine that with a poor rebounding game and I've definitely seen Bonner defend better than what he did last night.

It isn't overboard at all. He did excellent in just about every aspect of his game, on both ends. The rebounding has been up and down, but his defense on the man, weak side, and rotations were all great. After this stretch of tough games he had, this was the polar opposite and essentially, all that you could want from Bonner besides a few more boards.

If you're actually expecting much more than last night's efforts against the good teams, you're obviously going to be disappointed.

Tully365
01-03-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm not, I was just stating an opinion, and the opinion was that Sims is no better than Tolliver, it was based on seeing both play, not on numbers alone.

I'm sorry if chuckling at the notion that someone "demanding" a D Leaguer be brought in, makes me an asshole.

Assuming people's identities around here is a national past time so go right ahead and keep it up.

No matter how smart your mom told you that you are, it's not true. I hate to break it to you, but you are as dumb as a bag of rocks.

T Park
01-03-2009, 06:12 PM
It isn't overboard at all. He did excellent in just about every aspect of his game, on both ends. The rebounding has been up and down, but his defense on the man, weak side, and rotations were all great. After this stretch of tough games he had, this was the polar opposite and essentially, all that you could want from Bonner besides a few more boards.

If you're actually expecting much more than last night's efforts against the good teams, you're obviously going to be disappointed.

Agreed, and after watching the game again this morning, I stand by the notion the numbers didn't reflect his effort nor positioning for his rebounds, which to me, with Bonner has been 90% of the fight was his positioning.

T Park
01-03-2009, 06:13 PM
No matter how smart your mom told you that you are, it's not true. I hate to break it to you, but you are as dumb as a bag of rocks.

A plagerist too.

Congrats. :)

timvp
01-03-2009, 06:19 PM

If you're actually expecting much more than last night's efforts against the good teams, you're obviously going to be disappointed.If all Spurs fans can expect from their starting center is forcing the opponent to shoot jumpers, semi-late rotations, getting pushed around on the low block and two rebounds ... it's going to be a long season.

I know Bonner fans are itching to say He's Back but last night wasn't the slump buster.

Agreed, and after watching the game again this morning, I stand by the notion the numbers didn't reflect his effort nor positioning for his rebounds, which to me, with Bonner has been 90% of the fight was his positioning.That sounds like what that Silver Stars coach was saying on TV but the "positioning" was mostly Bonner getting pushed, the rebound bouncing off his hands and going to someone else. I've seen him have a good boxing out game but trying to stretch last night's performance into that is just trying to wish away Bonner's recent struggles.

T Park
01-03-2009, 06:24 PM
If all Spurs fans can expect from their starting center is forcing the opponent to shoot jumpers, semi-late rotations, getting pushed around on the low block and two rebounds ... it's going to be a long season.

I know Bonner fans are itching to say He's Back but last night wasn't the slump buster.

That sounds like what that Silver Stars coach was saying on TV but the "positioning" was mostly Bonner getting pushed, the rebound bouncing off his hands and going to someone else. I've seen him have a good boxing out game but trying to stretch last night's performance into that is just trying to wish away Bonner's recent struggles.

I don't think its wishing away struggles what so ever.

Its acknowledging that last night the numbers didn't reflect the effort nor positioning.

Bonner was getting pushed and was victim of alot of over the backs that didn't get called either.

Agreed 100% that 2 rebounds from your starting center is Rasho like unacceptable, but again, its not like he was out of position, and just generally not going after rebounds or giving effort.

z0sa
01-03-2009, 06:27 PM
If all Spurs fans can expect from their starting center is forcing the opponent to shoot jumpers, semi-late rotations, getting pushed around on the low block and two rebounds ... it's going to be a long season.

I have no itch to say he's back. I'd be much happier with a semi-shit Bonner now than in the playoffs. It's a long season and I'm still hoping for more improvement. That said, he isn't going to play a much better game than last night. His rotations were generally spot on. He got dunked on by Gasol but it was not a late rotations. That was more of a "Put him on his ass" time, which I'd have wholeheartedly approve of opposed to the dunk.

Still, a great scoring night (17 points on 7-9 shooting), very tough pick n roll defense, and IMO he was not being pushed around on the block. I think most spurs fans love getting 17 points on 7-9 shooting from their starting center, thank you very much.

That sounds like what that Silver Stars coach was saying on TV but the "positioning" was mostly Bonner getting pushed, the rebound bouncing off his hands and going to someone else. I've seen him have a good boxing out game but trying to stretch last night's performance into that is just trying to wish away Bonner's recent struggles.

No one wished away anything? Bonner is going to have his ups and downs. I want him peaking in the playoffs, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he had a great game last night.

T Park
01-03-2009, 06:30 PM
The thing that has suprised me about Bonner is how well he recieves those low post whip passes from Duncan and converts them. He's so akward handling the ball on drives and other plays that you would think he'd screw em up but damn near 8 out of 10 times he converts the lay in, and his little drive up fake and lay in last night on Arthur looked good as well. You could see his confidence reemerging last night as the game went on.

z0sa
01-03-2009, 06:33 PM
The thing that has suprised me about Bonner is how well he recieves those low post whip passes from Duncan and converts them. He's so akward handling the ball on drives and other plays that you would think he'd screw em up but damn near 8 out of 10 times he converts the lay in, and his little drive up fake and lay in last night on Arthur looked good as well. You could see his confidence reemerging last night as the game went on.

+1

Another thing, he had two really good hi-lo passes to Tim, one resulting in a Dunk. If he can continue to improve his passing, he could be very useful. Bonner is also great at making the extra pass and is getting better. I've seen multiple games, even in the tough stretch, where he was constantly hitting the open man on a kickout.

T Park
01-03-2009, 06:37 PM
The guy whos passing is impressive is Anthony Tolliver. If he can just convert those open jumpers he would be a fantastic addition. His energy and defense are valuable commodities.

timvp
01-03-2009, 07:00 PM
I think Bonner cured AIDS last night too . . .

boutons_
01-03-2009, 07:08 PM
"ya gotta luv" Tolliver's energy, hustle, up-and-down-the-floor-ness. It looks like he REALLY wants to play ball, maybe even like his job.

We don't need him to score. He should quit trying to shoot jumpers and 3Gs, he's tarnishing his otherwise attractive brand, he's playing so far out, inviting his main to sag off, inviting passes and jumpers.

Defense, rebounding, putbacks, blocking open the lanes for our drivers.

T Park
01-03-2009, 07:09 PM
I think Bonner cured AIDS last night too . . .

Heaven forbid there be a middle ground.

T Park
01-03-2009, 07:09 PM
"ya gotta luv" Tolliver's energy, hustle, up-and-down-the-floor-ness. It looks like he REALLY wants to play ball, maybe even like his job.

We don't need him to score. He should quit trying to shoot jumpers and 3Gs, he's tarnishing his otherwise attractive brand, he's playing so far out, inviting his main to sag off, inviting passes and jumpers.

Defense, rebounding, putbacks, blocking open the lanes for our drivers.

While I agree on Tolliver's energy, what got him on the team to begin with was his three point shooting.

Unfortunately it seems he has to make his 3s for him to stick.